• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

deepbrown

Dante said:
Unless they somehow got Bowie on the soundtrack...Yeah :D
It is. It surprised me :) Love me some Bowie - but odd choice I think. There are more rocky ones...and a song about cross dressing for MotorStorm? :lol

mittelos

So glad I decided to pick this up. I bought MS1, but never got into it all that much, something about it just didn't click with me. A couple of thoughts after about 15 races or so in Pacific Rift:

Graphics- generally fantastic, in some cases jaw-dropping, but also some cases of head scratching due to bad textures and just a general "something looks out of place" feeling here and there. But overall, awesome. And in motion, really a sight to behold.

Controls/Vehicle Handling- this may be my biggest surprise. Hard to describe, but the controls just feel great. I'm able to control my vehicle very presicely, does not feel floaty at all; in fact, it's like I can feel every little pebble that my vehicle crosses over. Very, very immersive. I really feel very connected to the vehicle and to the ground surface.

AI- does not feel cheap or rubberbandy, at least not early on. I've had no reason to really even question the AI so far.

Overall- not one of my most aniticipated games for the fall, and it's not even in a genre I spend much time with, but I'm super happy I picked it up, and much to my surprise, it's stealing my time from LBP and Fable2, rather than the other way around. Still need to try online.

Picked this one up on my lunch break. I loved the first one and I liked the demo but thought it was just more of the same.

But after reading some comments here, I was sold :D

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I BELIEVE.

i loved motorstorm 1, but never finished it, was way too hard, i actually managed to win like 10 races today :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
sankt-Antonio said:
i really liked MS1
i hated the MS2 demo with a passion

what should i do now?
Go to Geico for better car rates. MSPC is much better than the first. But if the gameplay isn't even your cup of tea then look away.

dark10x said:
I'm really warming up to this now. Tracks like Sugar Rush are just incredible.

I'm also finding that the visuals look SIGNFICANTLY better during the evening. The daytime lighting isn't bad but it can make certain areas look a bit ugly. The distant foliage, for instance, is very flat during the day but looks just fine while racing during the evening. The lighting has a HUGE impact on the visuals.

Absolutely loving the game now.

I knew you'd come around once you saw the tracks under different lighting conditions. It has a dramatic effect, just like it did in the original motorstorm.

The lighting makes the game look so absolutely stunning. Like I said, I'd put this up there with Uncharted.

I think people also need to experience it in first person.

I wish this game had a cockpit view. I'd spew my guts out and it would be hard to play with, but so amazingly fun. I don't like first person or hood view, feels less like a car and more like I'm Superman flying down the road headfirst.

Game is insanely fun, it's just a rush to play.

mittelos said:
Controls/Vehicle Handling- this may be my biggest surprise. Hard to describe, but the controls just feel great. I'm able to control my vehicle very presicely, does not feel floaty at all; in fact, it's like I can feel every little pebble that my vehicle crosses over. Very, very immersive. I really feel very connected to the vehicle and to the ground surface.

*nods*

Also the use of rumble is pretty fantastic. You really get a sense of when the tires are slipping or grabbing onto the terrain, hitting every bump etc. Some of the effects are brilliantly subtle too, like in Razorback when you drive across the river there's a vibration to mimic the tug of the current on the vehicle. I couldn't believe they even thought of that.

Makes me wish they included wheel support even more now, with the simple rumble being used this well actual FFB would be awesome.

Versus

Check it out, MotorStorm VIP - http://vip.motorstorm.com/

Found a few articles which are actually quite informative, annoying that a few of the links on the site are broken :S

What new online features do you have?

MotorStorm Pacific Rift has a wide range of new online features and improvements which will serve to make things more accessible and fun all. When designing the new online environment we decided to focus on three core areas:

Matchmaking
Matchmaking.jpg

We wanted to ensure that players could find another game quickly, but also that once they got into a game they didn’t have to rely on the host to get the race started. There are two options when matchmaking: Ranked or Casual. Ranked pitches you against players of a similar skill level whilst Casual will put you up against anyone and everyone. Matchmaking will, quite simply, group players together who are looking for a game, pick a Ticket for them (a race setup) and get them into a race as quickly as possible. And don’t worry, if you don’t like the Ticket that is randomly chosen for you - it’s possible to veto it (if you get a majority vote).

Ranks
Rank.jpg

Competitive play is important online, as the best races are most often the closest. So by implementing a ranking system which grades players based upon how many players they have beat and been beaten by, it allows us in conjunction with the matchmaking to gather players of the same or similar ranking together to provide the fairest and most exciting possible racing experience. There is also a Ranked leaderboard which lists every player, showing who really is the best MotorStorm player in the world.

Groups
Groups.jpg

Playing online is always more fun with friends, and we wanted to make it as easy as possible to do so. We’ve done this through Groups; these are quite simply a way of keeping friends together. They are initiated by sending a friend an invite; when they accept they become part of your Group, and wherever you go they then go with you, until they decide to leave (or if you choose to kick them from your group). Groups can be up 12 players, but when playing Ranked it is only possible with groups of 4 or less.

On top of these 3 major improvements, we also made online play global, so that wherever you are in the world you can play against anyone else who happens to be online. There is now the ability to check and compare other player's statistics, side by side, and not just online statistics, either: this includes all the offline ones, too. We’ve improved the voice chat - not just in terms of general quality, but also the number of players that can talk simultaneously: in the lobby up to 8 players can talk at once, and during an event it's 4 - that's twice as many as in the original MotorStorm!

And on top of all this we have a range of online specific Trophies to try and unlock. We hope to see you all online for some brutal off-road racing!

Is the SIXAXIS still supported?

SIXAXIS.jpg

One of the more advanced techniques in the game is the SIXAXIS tilt, you may find it essential if you’re going to win some of the more challenging races. Teetering precariously on two wheels? Quickly tilt the pad in the opposite direction to the roll and you’ll slam your wheels back on to the ground.

But that’s not all we’ve got for you. If you’re in the air and at a dodgy angle, you can rotate and twist your pad to try to give yourself a smoother landing. It’ll help maintain speed and potentially avoid a wreck.

And then, there’s also the actual SIXAXIS vehicle control. You can turn this on in the Options from the Main Menu by scrolling through the control layouts and selecting the one you want. This allows you to steer your vehicle by tilting your controller left or right, and alter its in-air pitch by rolling it towards or away from you. We found a really unusual range of players enjoyed using it on MotorStorm 1 – consider spending more time with it and you might find it suits you better.

Have you changed the vehicle select?

VehicleSelect.jpg

MotorStorm Pacific Rift features a Garage. Within this garage you can check out all of your vehicles, even ‘play’ with them if you desire, but the key feature of the garage is the ability to set up your favourites. For each of the 8 vehicle classes you’re able to pick your favourite body shell and livery combination, so that prior to a race you’re able to select just the vehicle class and get straight into the action. No delays, no interruptions, just straight into the action.

However you may want to change your vehicle body shell and livery prior to a race and you still can. By pressing square on the vehicle class select you can quickly make adjustments, and if you wish view the vehicle in 3D within the garage as well. Once decided upon you can jump straight into the race, which will be faster than ever with our improved loading times.

We’ve tried to listen to all of the comments about vehicle selection from MotorStorm 1, whilst still delivering something new. Once again all feedback is welcomed.

This is one of the best looking games I have ever played. WOW! The lighting is something else. The vehicle physics, water/mud, smoke, motion blur, crashes are all just first class. Game is a lot of fun too. Also best track design ever.

2989863613_5fff4622b0_o.jpg

2989875983_1aeef30553_o.jpg

2989875761_a8da2309e5_o.jpg

2990729148_5b8d5f74bc_o.jpg

2989875621_3abe762f67_o.jpg

2990728978_6c84a87f5c_o.jpg

Flunkie

Banned
This might be my favorite racing game, ever. The speed, the graphics, the tracks, and most of all, the handling of the vehicles, makes this game one of the best racers I have ever played.

I've got a crapload of photo mode shots that I'll upload soon.

Omeyocan

Need help !

I made a bran new songs list on my PS3. Even if I uncheck all the songs in the game( in the sound option), my music doesn't play ???? Why ??? Isn't supposed to be sound track compatible ?

Thanks.

EktorPR

Omeyocan said:
Need help !

I made a bran new songs list on my PS3. Even if I uncheck all the songs in the game( in the sound option), my music doesn't play ???? Why ??? Isn't supposed to be sound track compatible ?

Thanks.

1) Go to the XMB, in-game.

2) Select your music playlist of choice.

3) Enjoy.

Firewire

Banned
Just played with a group from LA, lots of fun. Theres a funny LA, San Fran rivalry going on! But I think a guy from Oakland won.

Forsete

Amazeatron, ASSEMBLE!

Some of those shots remind me of the coastal part in Half Life 2, my favourite part of HL2! :D

Ploid 3.0

Ploid faints!...........................

THANK You guys. You made my night. Darn Amazon, I hate hate hate them!

Dante

Ploid 3.0 said:
Ploid faints!...........................

THANK You guys. You made my night. Darn Amazon, I hate hate hate them!

Hey dude, if you haven't already, can you add me?

Jenovah

:)

Sin

Great shots everyone!

This is such an awesome game, glad you guys are giving it the attention it deserves.

If anybody wants to play online whenever, my PSNID is Numemonja

wouwie

Just played the game for an hour or so and first impressions are really good. I didn't play the original so i can't compare but it seems to be a great game. I have only played 2 tracks so far.

And yes, the graphics can be a bit rough around the edges (especially in the texture department) but it still manages to wow me due to scale, drawing distance, awesome lightning, water, mud and beautiful skies. I like the idea of being able to play each track in 4 different times of a day. The different lightning and skies are superb. Also, there is rain which adds a lot of atmosphere.

The game controls feel great and the sense of speed in bonnet view is superb. I think it will be important to learn each track because there seems to be a lot of different paths with different strategies. At times, you've got mud, sunlight and water on your screen and you hardly see where you're going.

Overall, i'm glad i bought it. Can't wait to play some more.

I have a feeling that this game may be overlooked in between tons of other good games. In that case, i hope that Evolution is going to adopt the same strategy as Criterion did with Burnout Paradise. And judging by a recent blog, they will.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Everyone said motion control steering was removed, but am I misunderstanding controller layout 3? In the top right it specifically says to tilt left and right to steer

Ranger X

Here's my pics. Not all awesome but hey, it's fun.
Oh and where are you hosting your pics?? Photobucket is resizing mine...

MSPR_RangerZero_1.png

MSPR_RangerZero_1_1.png

MSPR_RangerZero_2.png

MSPR_RangerZero_3.png

MSPR_RangerZero_4.png

MSPR_RangerZero_5.png

MSPR_RangerZero_6.png

MSPR_RangerZero_7.png

One thing that isn't getting enough mention, the engine sounds! Actually the sound effects in general are pretty great, all the bumps, scrapes and crashes are really crunchy and mean sounding. The engines especially though, just raw and aggressive as hell, each class distinctly articulated. There's some cool environmental fx too, I love on The Rift track going through the narrow tunnels and the engines all reflect off the side walls in a wicked cacophony. It really sounds like you're smack in the middle of some monster truck show.

sinnergy

The tracks are inconsistent in the graphics department imo... the game feels rushed. (maybe sony felt they needed more tracks or something) Some tracks look way beyond MS1, Edge is one of them but the rest look pretty bad.. 6 - 8 tracks look great. Also some tracks are so cluttered it hard to see where you must go.

It feels like MS was designed around the desert theme.. this feels a little tagged on imo. Still a great game though.

GodofWine

sinnergy said:
the game feels rushed.

not at all...no it doesn't...the feel of driving is incredible, the lighting is superb, the sound is great, and all the tracks look anywhere from good to awesome.

SOCOM was rushed...rushed implies 'broken'..this is an excellent game.

(and socom is fixed now..no hate mail please :D )

The Lamonster said:
How do you get a boost start in this game?

You can't, takes 10 seconds to charge the boost.

I need a few MS friends... PSN: TheGodofWine

Ploid 3.0

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
One thing that isn't getting enough mention, the engine sounds! Actually the sound effects in general are pretty great, all the bumps, scrapes and crashes are really crunchy and mean sounding. The engines especially though, just raw and aggressive as hell, each class distinctly articulated. There's some cool environmental fx too, I love on The Rift track going through the narrow tunnels and the engines all reflect off the side walls in a wicked cacophony. It really sounds like you're smack in the middle of some monster truck show.

The engine sounds must have intimidated Gametrailers.com hah. That's one of the things they didn't like about the game. Beastly engines? Sign me up.

Top Bottom