• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

BatmanX

For the guys whose playing online, is the vocal chat improved?

I want it soooo badly!!!

In euroland is it coming tomorrow or just in benelux?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Surfheart said:
Game looks great, but what the... at those trees.

mkzrk5.jpg
That's one of the things I was complaining about. Foliage directly surrounding the track (near the player) looks fantastic, but pretty much all distant foliage is ugly as hell. They could have come up with a better solution as, currently, they look like shit while racing. You won't see those odd angles while playing, of course, but distant foliage seems to lack proper shadows (they appear as you close in). It's only really obvious on the first Earth track, however. The second foliage heavy track looks much nicer.

The visuals are such a mixed bag. At times they look breathtaking while there are other instances where it feels as if they failed to pull off what they were attempting. Overall I think Motorstorm 1 looks more impressive. Its environment was less ambitious, of course, but this allowed for a more consistant overall look.

Gibb

BatmanX said:
In euroland is it coming tomorrow or just in benelux?

Some stores in euroland already have it, seperate game or PS3 bundle.. START YOUR ENGINES!!!

(Early release = Sony action due to LBP delay, according to some stores)

Just tried my copy yesterday evening and had a freerace in each tracks.

The game looks awesome. Can't wait to see what goals they will come up with in the career/single player mode!

The photo mode is also very cool. I have new wallpapers anytime!! :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One thing I'm wondering about the photo mode is whether or not it is possible to take photos with motion blur. Not added blur ala Wipeout HD but, rather, what you see while playing. The motion blur dramatically enhances the visuals and the screenshots lose some appeal without it.

jett

D-Member
~Devil Trigger~ said:
got the game(and LBP)

but im not removing Dead Space from my drive til I beat it

I would if I were you, after absentmindedly leaving the DMC4 disc in my PS3 for a couple of days the laser started to fail. Dunno if it has a connection...but I tell you I NEVER leave a disc in the console now. :p

Ploid 3.0

lynux3 said:
Did anyone get their Amazon.com 'exclusive' XMB theme?

nope, I guess the redeem code is in the package that they are sending in the mail on the 5th.

Guymelef said:
I have this, from Amazon UK.

Yea I ordered this from Amazon also, and it seemed like they weren't going to ship it. Now I see why ><

EktorPR

Dante said:
Yes, but unlike Wipeout HD, or say Halo 3 it doesn't add any post effects.

Not that they need any: the game's lighting effects and pure badassery takes visuals to another level. There's always incredible lighting clashing against your vehicle's body, and reflecting upon every body of water. It seriously looks incredible. :D

DeadGzuz

Banned
So my GS has it in stock, I'm tempted to buy it and return my Amazon version there when it comes in. Any reason I couldn't, it's a 30 day return policy and the games should be the same.

I spend plenty of money at GS, so it's not like I should feel guilty :)

GodofWine

I don't even know what track it was on (played about 30 minutes, went through as many modes as I could), but there is a bridge, that goes over a raging river, and I missed the bridge and thought, Im dead...but I landed in the rapids and went all bat shit crazy going down the river with water effects that were SICK and splashing on the screen impeding my view...bad-ass.

Played in a EU based game (from Philadelphia) and it was silky smooth, and a blast..(finished 3rd out of 8 :) ).

Lighting, speed, awesome...I'd like to hear the engine over the music more, but I think thats adjustable.

Man, i was in some jungle in a monster truck and thought, gee, let me try to drive through those bamboo plants over there, and low and behold, I plowed through it and found another route..its as good and as fun as Burnout Paradise but made for lunatics.

Dante

If anybody is on the fence because this is sandwiched between R2 and LBP...Don't, It's every bit as good as those 2 games.

Dante

BeeDog said:
Dante, is there a difficulty setting this time around?

Nope, but the way the tickets are set up this time you can skip ones that are giving you trouble. There's also eliminator, and time trial to break up just flat out racing, kinda like wipeout HD.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hopefully this will come in the mail tomorrow. I'm so pumped.

Slaylock

Dante said:
Nope, but the way the tickets are set up this time you can skip ones that are giving you trouble. There's also eliminator, and time trial to break up just flat out racing, kinda like wipeout HD.
This is my main hesitation about buying this game. The first game was great at first, but racing the same tracks over and over again with different vehicles got tedious, and the later tickets got so difficult that it sucked the fun out of the game.

Based on what you've played so far, have the changes they made helped resolve these issues?

Slaylock said:
This is my main hesitation about buying this game. The first game was great at first, but racing the same tracks over and over again with different vehicles got tedious, and the later tickets got so difficult that it sucked the fun out of the game.

Based on what you've played so far, have the changes they made helped resolve these issues?

The tracks are so good and varied that you never get tired of playing them. Besides, there's a lot of tracks...double what MotorStorm 1 had.

The tracks are much better than MS1 IMHO. Also, you only race two laps, which makes the events go by quicker.

The rubberband AI is nowhere near what it is in MS1. If you're out ahead by a good distance and you crash, you can still be in first place afterwards.

tribal24

Banned
i love everything about this game everything i hated in MS1 is not present also they added everything i wanted. also i love how the tracks are varied like each map you wouldnt even think its motorstorm you would think it comes from like a mario kart. and multiplayer is awesome aswell that was my biggest complaint in the last one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Game is tight. The branching paths are great. Definitely as good as the first but with more content. Haven't jumped online yet so I don't know about tournaments Jett. You gonna buy? It's really good.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I just played three split screen matches vs a friend. I won 2/3, we both lost to the computer in the warehouse level, which is damn hard.

How do you use custom soundtracks? I didn't see the option in the soundtrack area in option.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DeadGzuz said:
I just played three split screen matches vs a friend. I won 2/3, we both lost to the computer in the warehouse level, which is damn hard.

How do you use custom soundtracks? I didn't see the option in the soundtrack area in option.
Direct from the XMB. This is the best way and the options are great once you start playing with it.

Dante

Slaylock said:

Trust me, You've never EVER raced on tracks like these before in a video game. I can't tell you how many times I thought I veered off the track, and I thought the game was gonna reset me, and it ended up being a totally branching path. I can't comment on the later tickets, but it seems the rise in difficulty is more gradual this time around, and there is way more strategy with ramming, cooling, etc... Plus online is top notch this time.

I was actually in Gametop second guessing whether I should get it, and Damn if it didn't eat into a LOT of my LBP time last night :)

Ploid 3.0

Dante said:
If anybody is on the fence because this is sandwiched between R2 and LBP...Don't, It's every bit as good as those 2 games.

It's going to be the bread of my peanut butter (resistance 2), and Jelly (LBP) sandwich. :D

Ploid 3.0

Flunkie said:
Haha, that's perfect.

Yea I lucked out. I thought I would only be able to get R2 around this time. I was able to order these 3 games, gamefly 2 game order (Fallout3 and bioshock are on their way to me), and a new camera (cannon powershot A470). This is like a xmas in october.

I was going to get a new pc because mine broke, but I found out it was just the power supply and I'm now typing on it. Close call.

McLovin

Wow motorcycles are freakin awesome this time around, they feel so fast! Also trucks are now fun with the new R1/L1 attacks :D So far the first stage sucked but everything after that was awesome. ATVs suck big time though.. not sure why. Every other vehicle type feels much better then MS1 IMO.
Edit- Also the demo was a really old build. They added better crash physics, dust, lighting, etc.
Edit-Edit- stages are massive now.

Dante

McLovin said:
Wow motorcycles are freakin awesome this time around, they feel so fast! Also trucks are now fun with the new R1/L1 attacks :D So far the first stage sucked but everything after that was awesome. ATVs suck big time though.. not sure why. Every other vehicle type feels much better then MS1 IMO.
Edit- Also the demo was a really old build. They added better crash physics, dust, lighting, etc.
Edit-Edit- stages are massive now.

Yeah, once I got used to the motorcycles I loved em, Still having a few issues with the ATV though :)

Ploid 3.0 said:
What the crap is this!?
So, apparently, if you want to get it quicker from Amazon you have to wait till it is in stock till you order it. Preorders ship on the 5th, but "Want it delivered Monday, November 3? Order it in the next 22 hours and 41 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout."

Silly Amazon ;)

Holy crap @ The Rift. Probably my favorite course so far. It looks like something out of Mordor and has these tight winding gorges where all hell breaks loose. I was in a buggy trying to weave through a squad of Monster Trucks, its awesomely terrifying. Once I got spun backwards in first person cam and there's two giant wheels headed right for me, CRUNCH. :D So many crazy moments already in this game. There isn't a bigger rush then flooring it through a bunch of foliage and hearing the leaves whip across your vehicle as you anticipate whats going to happen when you come out the other side.

I don't see how anybody who dug the first game wouldn't love this sequel, its everything that made Motorstorm great with the fat trimmed out, the physics model tightened up, some nifty new layers to the track design and an awesome new setting. Its a freakin' blast.

jett

D-Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
Game is tight. The branching paths are great. Definitely as good as the first but with more content. Haven't jumped online yet so I don't know about tournaments Jett. You gonna buy? It's really good.

It's a sure-buy for me...I keep replaying the demo. :p Love the increased sense of speed and the improved motion blur...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
Where from, and what price? I still have to wait until the 7th :( (but I'm getting it for 40 yurop's).
VG+, 60 bucks

Ploid 3.0

Dante said:
Yeah, once I got used to the motorcycles I loved em, Still having a few issues with the ATV though :)

It seems like the bikes have a lot to offer with their newjump system.

nqbrwo.gif

Stormwatch said:
So, apparently, if you want to get it quicker from Amazon you have to wait till it is in stock till you order it. Preorders ship on the 5th, but "Want it delivered Monday, November 3? Order it in the next 22 hours and 41 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout."

Silly Amazon ;)

Noooo, I'm not going to change my preorder around. I'm not sure if that $10 off will stick. I'll have to wait it out. Hopefully those other games show up tomorrow. At least Fallout 3.

btkadams

any canadians got it yet? where from? i checked futurehsops website and it appears the ones in town dont have it (it says not available at this location). does eb yet?

After looking everywhere for the last two days, I finally found it in stock at Target tonight whilst I was grabbing some Halloween candy. I did a few of the single-player races, and I had a blast. I was pretty fond of the first MS, and this one seems like it's going to be a worthy follow-up. But before I really get into it, I need to beat Dead Space (on the last chapter). But then again, there's LBP, and Resistance 2 is next week. And Gears 2. Fuck. My backlog is going to be brutal.

Yoshichan

Great pic man

Private Hoffman said:
I am really impressed by the visuals in MotorStorm 2.

The lighting, motion blur, everything is just absolutely incredible in certain instances.

The only thing you can really fault it for is slightly low rez textures (only noticeable when static) and sometimes slightly jaggy. Anyone saying this is a downgrade or doesnt look as good as MS1 is a loony.

I can also confirm that the demo track is one of the least impressive tracks in the game visually. I am astounded that they chose this track over any of the other ones I've played so far.

But jesus, this game really impresses in first person. Do not play it in any other perspective.

The track designs are GENIUS! You couldn't ask for tighter design here.

Are the graphics in the demo track improved at all? I don't really have a problem with how it is in the demo but I'm curious to know.

Flunkie

Banned
This game is incredible looking. I've got tons of pics taken already, and I've only spent an hour with the game. :lol Must be the photographer in me.

Top Bottom