• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Where You Want The Bad Guy To WIn

T8SC

I agree with Peggies Peggies Brigadier General Francis X Hummel.

On60.gif

Also, Colonel Quaritch from Avatar.

Last edited:

Phobos Base

The Matrix. Once you find out that the humans are just a bunch of mystic hippies partying in a cave, I choose the Matrix.

nOg9uOD.jpeg

Of course you could just forget that the godawful sequels ever existed. Ignorance is bliss.

L64iiAX.png

It always bugged me that the supposed good guys killed lots of innocent people just doing their job, even after establishing that if you die in the matrix you die in real life.

Doom85

When I was a kid I was flabbergasted that Jafar in Aladdin, was the villain when in reality, he was the victim and the protagonist was the villain.

You probably don’t know this detail, but Jasmine is 15 in the film, and Jafar, while intending at first to kill her after wedding her to secure the throne, seemingly changes his mind later as he clearly shows sexual interest in her. So yeah, dude’s a predator (and also attempted murderer).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It always bugged me that the supposed good guys killed lots of innocent people just doing their job, even after establishing that if you die in the matrix you die in real life.
I thought that is the direction they would go in the sequels. Neo with his link to the Matrix couldn't harm regular people because he could 'feel' the person in the pod. So they would have some conflict without having to nerf the Neo we see at the end of the first movie and would tie in with the whole jesus chosen one thing. But I guess "Upgrades" was a way to go as well.

calistan

Gold Member
He does win - gets the money, wastes pretty much everyone who’s ever seen him, leaves Moss to get murdered by the Mexicans, and kills Moss’s wife for shits and giggles.

Like they said to Neo, it’s our way or the highway. Party like a crusty old hippy and never see the sun, or die.

Another thing that made no sense was saying the machines used humans like a battery. It should have been that they needed brains for processing power or something. There must be better ways to generate electricity.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I thought he lost ultimately, because he couldn't get either the civilians or criminals on those ships to blow one another up.

True, but he destroys Harvey, and ruins Batman's reputation, so in the long run, he's the one that gets what he wants - even if the set piece of the boats goes against him.

The tragedy of Heath's death is that there's unfinished business between Joker and Batman, that surely would have been resolved in a much better Dark Knight Rises.

Not a movie but The Handmaid Tale

I stopped watching after the first episode but I didn't feel bad at all for the "heroes"

Especially when it comes to how stuff is nowadays in RL. That's all I'm saying about it but that show was just disingenuous as fuck I felt. Not to mention effective propaganda

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Ivan-Drago-cut-scene-Creed-2-.jpg

They did an awful job at making the audience not like this guy and an awful job at making the audience like Creed.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Everything made by Disney/Marvel/Star Wars over the past decade

The villains are as stupid and empty as the heroes, sure... but nothing would be better than to see the entire ensemble of Disney-ified franchise protagonists meet their demise and the characters permanently put to rest.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
He does win - gets the money, wastes pretty much everyone who’s ever seen him, leaves Moss to get murdered by the Mexicans, and kills Moss’s wife for shits and giggles.

Like they said to Neo, it’s our way or the highway. Party like a crusty old hippy and never see the sun, or die.

Another thing that made no sense was saying the machines used humans like a battery. It should have been that they needed brains for processing power or something. There must be better ways to generate electricity.
This was the Perfect Love Story.
The Man Loved his Job.

*Nightwing

The entire Harry Potter series.

How that pussy Voldemort couldn’t take out a 4eyed nerdy little bitch is pure fiction

Edit: don’t even need Voldemort to win, I’d be happy with his uncle and aunt leaving him locked up under the stairs and everyone lives happily ever after

Last edited:

Tams

Not a movie but in the TV show "The Man in the High Castle" they made all the good guys so boring and unlikeable that it was hard not to root for the nazi bad guy by the end
960x0.png

I actually think part of the reason why the final season was so shit is that the writers realized a big part of their audience was rooting for the bad guy and they panicked.

The last season was just bizarre, and that ending... ooofff. I believe that's mainly because they were told during season 3 that they would only get one more.

John Smith was very cool, and Takeshi Kido was a great character too. I think you're right; the bad guys in it were just too appealing.

Reactions: Fbh

Doom85

Edit: don’t even need Voldemort to win, I’d be happy with his uncle and aunt leaving him locked up under the stairs and everyone lives happily ever after

His aunt and uncle don’t deserve shit for being such massive dumbasses.

Aunt and Uncle: “We detest you, Harry! We hate having to raise you!”
(letters start arriving offering to fully take care of Harry for 75% of the following seven years)
Aunt and Uncle: “What? Fuck that! We’ll be sure you never go to that school and leave our sight!”

Those two chucklefucks made their own bed, so they can live with their unhappiness. A solution was flat out dropped in their laps, and they threw it away.

Sonja Sohn Television GIF by ABC Network

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
You probably don’t know this detail, but Jasmine is 15 in the film, and Jafar, while intending at first to kill her after wedding her to secure the throne, seemingly changes his mind later as he clearly shows sexual interest in her. So yeah, dude’s a predator (and also attempted murderer).

My man Jafar deserved the throne and it was legally his before he got conned out of it. The film leaves out in the story, that he was a very good advisor, incredibly intelligent and well educated. While Jafar may not have been a good guy, that does not mean that he did not suffer injustice.

Superkewl

Ivan Drago in Rocky IV. Every time I watch the movie, I get till the final fight, but once the sportscasters start yelling "HE'S CUT! HE'S CUT!" I just turn it off.

dave_d

I was going to say I wanted to see the train win in Scorsese's "Hugo Sucks!" but then I remind my self the train is the good guy. (Damn, why couldn't he send the audience home happy and let the Train kill that little POS.)

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Heat. Wish Neil could've made a clean getaway with Edie.

robert deniro heat GIF

Edit: Fuckers already posted it. FML

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yeah, HEAT is the obvious winner.

Disappointing that Val Kilmer is the only one that gets away.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Pretty much all crime movies, I always want the criminals to win.

I love mob movies but often turn them off on a re-watch at the inevitable “downfall” third act.

KaiserBecks

devilpacino.jpg

I really wanted the Devil to fulfill his plans in "Devil's Advocate".

Especially after that speech at the end.
Isn’t it more than obvious that he will win though? I mean in the final scene, he’s disguised as the reporter and he will try again.

Top Bottom