• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
81OjHk4RjwL.jpg

On Amazon Prime. Solid 8/10 war movie about trench warfare and tunneling in WWI.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
inside-the-presidents-war-room.jpg

I've read a few books from insiders during the opening hours and days of 9/11, but the behind the scenes (so to speak) reveals in this doc were eye opening. It's well produced and they don't waste the viewers' time re-treading now old and well-covered politics - they stick to the events and the thoughts of those involved at the time.

It's on Apple TV+. As far as docs go it is a solid 4/5.

MastaKiiLA

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

Watched this over the weekend...Thai dubs no subs. This one is slightly harder to follow on visuals alone. Not that I didn't understand the story, but there was some nuance that wouldn't have been clear without my gf's translations. It's interesting that none of the 3 stories in the Vengeance trilogy have anything in common with each other. They're all different revenge stories that feature different motives, and different approaches. In this one, a woman is released from prison, where she served time for a crime she didn't commit. She then goes about exacting her revenge on the person who put her there.

I might have liked this one the least, because it was the slowest of the three, and didn't feature a complex villain. At the end of this one, the bad guy got what he deserved. Not that that's a bad thing. It's just that the first 2 movies had prepared me for a complex villain who had understandable motives.

Chan-wook's directing style is evident throughout. Lots of static shots. Emotional scenes that allow viewer and character moments to absorb what's happening. Ample amounts of violence to let you know that revenge was deeply personal to the protagonist. Less of it in this movie than the other 2, but what's there is still gratuitous. It's a great movie. I really can't complain. However, as i already said, I really enjoyed the more complex villains of the first 2 films, so I'd rather this one as the worst in the trilogy. But when the quality of the offerings are this good, even third best is a win.

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

I loved the first movie. I think Reynolds and Jackson have excellent chemistry, and Jackson and Hayek were a convincing romantic pairing. This one didn't quite mesh the same between the 2 pairings. Reynolds and Jackson weren't quite clicking for me. I felt like they were working more through Hayek in this one, and even then, the romance between Hayek and Jackson felt more forced. I guess I'm not that thrilled with Hayek as the lead for the franchise, eventhough I enjoyed her work with Penelop Cruz in Bandidas. The action is ramped up, but Ryan Reynold's character is much more of a punching bag in this one. Samuel L. Jackson's character is more aloof. Salma Hayek's character is even more unhinged. I don't know if they went in the right direction with the character traits here. I was kinda expecting more growth/maturation of the relationships, which you'd expect as people work together more. But it felt like the writers just decided to take what they were in the first film, and turn it up to 11. That said, it was decent. A good time waster. I hope that if they make a third film, it shifts the focus back to Jackson as the focal point of the group, and allow Reynold's character to progress more in the direction of what he was prior to his life falling apart in the first film. I think that would be the logical conclusion to the saga.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I saw Malignant as well. Wasn’t a huge fan. I thought it had some interesting twists and ideas, but too many plot holes, inconsistencies, and unexplained things. I felt at times it took itself super seriously and other times it didn’t. I thought if it was more consistent I would’ve enjoyed it more. But it did some things well.

sol_bad

Kate - Netflix
Pretty cool action film and some nicely dose action scenes with Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Fairly predictable storyline but you don't watch action films for the story. If you don't believe that women can beat up men, best to steer clear of this.

The Witches (2020) - Netflix

This was also enjoyable but nothing amazing. It had a few genuinely creepy scenes for a kids film. The air duct scene with the arms is especially nightmare fuel. I skimmed through the original film afterwards and don't think it holds up anymore, the only are which it is better in is the Grand Witches makeup, very cool.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Don't Breathe 2:

It wasn't as good as the first. Kinda dumb honestly. If you want time to kill I guess it has some entertainment, but it was so over the top and full of tropes and didn't bring anything original to the table.

NahaNago

Kate - Netflix
Pretty cool action film and some nicely dose action scenes with Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Fairly predictable storyline but you don't watch action films for the story. If you don't believe that women can beat up men, best to steer clear of this.

The Witches (2020) - Netflix
This was also enjoyable but nothing amazing. It had a few genuinely creepy scenes for a kids film. The air duct scene with the arms is especially nightmare fuel. I skimmed through the original film afterwards and don't think it holds up anymore, the only are which it is better in is the Grand Witches makeup, very cool.
Kate was a lot of fun to watch. The story was very typical but the imagery of the scenes like reminded me of kill bill at times. It felt like an homage to a bunch of action films. I really would have liked a Kate 2. Most of the times instead of beating up I'd say she was just straight up just killing instead since she usually had some type of weapon on her so her being a woman shouldn't rile up to many feathers( says someone who gets riled up over those types of things).

The movie now that I think about it is very otaku like having a older guy raising a girl in order to have her be an assassin.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Malignant - that was all over the place. Pretty mediocre but it was wild the way the "bad guy" moved around, weird locomotion.

Also

4juaQWk.jpg

Solace (2015) - I suppose this one went straight to streaming and flew under the radar. It's a pretty good psychological thriller, some slick elements and great performances from everyone in it. Its problem was a first act that is boring as hell, a second act that gets things moving but still wasn't great, but a final act that is very good once Colin Farrell shows up. He and Anthony Hopkins play off one another nicely.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I am not a reader... I have no idea why my wife is my wife. She consumes 1 book in 2 or 3 evenings. It took me like 2 days to read I have no mouth and I must scream... I don't like reading :p
Look into "acquiring" the SciFi Channel's Dune (2000), 3x 90 min and gives far more details about the world, Fremen customs, Guild and Landsraad relationships.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Look into "acquiring" the SciFi Channel's Dune (2000), 3x 90 min and gives far more details about the world, Fremen customs, Guild and Landsraad relationships.
good tip. I will wait for the new movie and if I will still have some questions, then I will pirate the shit out of that show

Malignant, loved it. Big fan of James Wan and this was a throwback to his low budget days. Fans of Dead Silence will dig it. It's all intentional, Wan is certainly capable of making "quality scares" like Conjuring and Insidious. He just said fuck it I miss doing Saw type shit.

The new age of high brow horror where every demon represents grief or some mental illness isn't fresh anymore.

Finale rocked.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

good tip. I will wait for the new movie and if I will still have some questions, then I will pirate the shit out of that show
You most certainly will since the new movie only covers about half the first book while the SciFi movies cover the whole first book, like the Lynch one.

Edit: cover is the wrong word, where it ends the story is more appropriate.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Married to the Mob

This movie was weird and kind of stupid. At least it features a young Lorraine Bracco super nude for a bit.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Don't Breathe 2:

It wasn't as good as the first. Kinda dumb honestly. If you want time to kill I guess it has some entertainment, but it was so over the top and full of tropes and didn't bring anything original to the table.

How do they redeem the villain from the first movie? Do they try to get the audience to root for him in the sequel?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
How do they redeem the villain from the first movie? Do they try to get the audience to root for him in the sequel?
Yeah, kinda. He’s not a full on hero, but he’s basically the guy you’re supposed to root for on the movie.

He and another character are basically the sympathetic characters in this one.

clarky

Gold Member
Candyman (2021). Fucking awful. I'd rather get slapped in the face with a used tampon repeatedly than watch this pish. 2/10. Shame as I heard good things........ maybe im just getting old.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Cry Macho.

I hate to say it but Clint Eastwood should retire. I would have wanted to applaud him for being an actor/director at age 91, but in Cry Macho he is playing the role of a character obviously written for a thirty-forty years younger actor. It is just uncomfortable to see Eastwood walk with his old man shuffle, embarrassing to see a beautiful woman throw herself at this stiff, almost mummified nonagenarian and silly to see him pretend to one punch knock out a muscled guy in his thirties. When Eastwood gets on his knees to look under a car, I feared he wouldn't be able to get up. It doesn't help that the kid actor looks too old for his role as a 13 year old and his acting is awkward. The movie lacks tension and drive.

All in all one of Eastwood's weakest directorial efforts. Not recommended.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Cry Macho.

I hate to say it but Clint Eastwood should retire. I would have wanted to applaud him for being an actor/director at age 91, but in Cry Macho he is playing the role of a character obviously written for a thirty-forty years younger actor. It is just uncomfortable to see Eastwood walk with his old man shuffle, embarrassing to see a beautiful woman throw herself at this stiff, almost mummified nonagenarian and silly to see him pretend to one punch knock out a muscled guy in his thirties. When Eastwood gets on his knees to look under a car, I feared he wouldn't be able to get up. It doesn't help that the kid actor looks too old for his role as a 13 year old and his acting is awkward. The movie lacks tension and drive.

All in all one of Eastwood's weakest directorial efforts. Not recommended.

Yea that was a tough watch. Props to him for sticking with his passion but if I were in his shoes I would have retired a decade ago and been enjoying my grandkids and taking those senior guided travel tours or whatever.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Yea that was a tough watch. Props to him for sticking with his passion but if I were in his shoes I would have retired a decade ago and been enjoying my grandkids and taking those senior guided travel tours or whatever.

Well, if Eastwood had retired ten years ago we wouldn't have had American Sniper (2014) and Richard Jewell (2019), two movies I liked a lot. You'd never guess from watching American Sniper that movie had been directed by a guy in his mid eighties.

Mr Hyde

Dead Presidents

Underrated movie from the Hughes Brothers. Revolves around a young man struggling with life after he served in the Vietnam war. Starts off like a coming of age drama, evolves to a war movie and ends like a heist movie. It's highly ambitious, and maybe it chews off more than it can swallow, but in the end it's a moving story about the harsh life of a young black man trying to survive in a cold world.

bender

What time is it?
Chocolate - It takes forever to get going and boy is the plotline dumb, but is JeeJa Yanin is a straight-up badass.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Hard Rain (5/10) - The plot and setting of this movie are so random, it's hilarious. When you're in the mood for some braindead action, give this flick a go. You may have fun if watched with buddies. I wasn't really in the propper mood yesterday, so 5/10 is all I can give this thing.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hard Rain (5/10) - The plot and setting of this movie are so random, it's hilarious. When you're in the mood for some braindead action, give this flick a go. You may have fun if watched with buddies. I wasn't really in the propper mood yesterday, so 5/10 is all I can give this thing.

I watched this a few years back when it popped up on Netflix or something. The plot did feel like a video game from the early 2000's.

GeekyDad

Saw Silver Linings Playbook. I enjoyed it.
Really loved it. I know it's not perfect, but it kinda hit all the right notes for me at the time.

Just recently watched Same Kind of Different as Me.
990ff8a1b219c45e07ba824799c8e24ad89490cd193db6d78d2e5ba32323daac._UY500_UX667_RI_V_TTW_.jpg

Far from great, but its heart is in the right place. Could personally identify with it, so I think that had something to do with it.

Hydroxy

Saw Spiderman Into the Spider verse. Great movie. Loved it. Although those 12fps scenes initially felt jarring but got used to it after a while. Can't wait for the sequel next year.

INC

Dead Presidents

Underrated movie from the Hughes Brothers. Revolves around a young man struggling with life after he served in the Vietnam war. Starts off like a coming of age drama, evolves to a war movie and ends like a heist movie. It's highly ambitious, and maybe it chews off more than it can swallow, but in the end it's a moving story about the harsh life of a young black man trying to survive in a cold world.

Underrated indeed, plus always good to see O-Dog in something else

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Many Saints of Newark

Whoa, Alan Taylor can fucking direct. The cinematography is up there with the best of them, and the score is perfect for every scene. They also got just about the perfect actors for every part.

That said, regarding the story and other elements:

I liked it, but just barely. When it comes to prequels I actually prefer them to be these kinds of intimate examinations of characters we'd heard about but never seen, and how their presence echoed through the fiction we're familiar with.

Unfortunately it veered too far off from the core concepts and themes the show examined, and by the time it concluded I felt like the story focused too much on Dickie's friend and mistress. I mean, I didn't sign up to follow the story of some characters who were completely absent from - and pointless to - the show. All of those minutes could have instead been used to actually follow Dickie and enforcing what he and the legacy of his family meant to this fictional Jersey mafia world. And while Gandolfini's son did a great job he was severely underused. Again, all of those minutes wasted on two characters who weren't even relevant to the mythos.

So, a solid effort in the production, casting, and performances. A let down in the story department.

Last edited:
The Matrix

2000.jpg

I thought I'd give it a rewatch with the new one coming out soon. Do not regret. This movie holds up even by today's standard. The special effects is still better than many science fiction movies and it's probably because a lot of it was wasn't too reliant on CGI. The slow motion scenes have aged well.

GeekyDad

Just watched Everybody's Fine
220px-Everybodys_fine.jpg

Oooh, boy...

Not sure what to say about the movie. Feels like a true labor of love that could only be work on for a very short while (couple of weeks, maybe) on a shoestring budget. And man, will this movie require gobs and gobs of patience to get through, mostly during the beginning segments.

And don't expect to feel good. At the end and through various moments, you will be touched. But throughout the bulk, yeesh... A respectable rush job that could be up for "feel bad" movie of the year (whatever year it released in).

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
vfLvFgb.jpg

A rather arresting retelling of the Yojimbo-styled gangster flick. No dull moments, bittersweet ending.

The ending was foreshadowed at times in the film, as the prevailing and reoccurring theme was one's demons coming home to roost - but it still managed to surprise me.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Rewatched Sin City yesterday. Such an amazing movie. Prolly Rodriguez's best (although I love Desperado as well). All individual stories are well told and the visuals remain super unique. Almost perfect pace too. 10/10

That being said, let us not talk about the shitty sequel.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Rewatched Sin City yesterday. Such an amazing movie. Prolly Rodriguez's best (although I love Desperado as well). All individual stories are well told and the visuals remain super unique. Almost perfect pace too. 10/10

That being said, let us not talk about the shitty sequel.

One of my favorite movies from the 2000's. It's still fascinating to me how they brought that irreverent, bombastic comic to life on screen. A movie like that, which is good in such specific ways, couldn't be made today by a major studio.

orphan-2009-free-full-movie-downloads-hd.jpg

Such an excellent horror experience that I recommend everyone to give a shot. Still has one of the tightest storylines of any horror film. Paced incredibly well with great performances.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Watched Besson's Nikita yesterday. Wanted to watch this for a long time. Honestly? I was pretty let down. Action was alright given the low budget but the story was pretty stupid and the main character is very unlikeable. 6/10

GeekyDad

Just finished watching Get Shorty again. I don't think I've seen it since its release (I think back in the 90s?) Man, does it hold up. It's kind of a masterpiece in its own way.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Guilty

Netflix joint. I knew nothing about it going in aside from realizing I had to prepare myself mentally because Jake Gyllenhaal seems to only play emotionally intense roles these days - and I am and was when it started high. High.

Amazing performance. Great story. 4/5. When the credits began to roll and it showed Fuqua as the director I literally said to myself "of course".

Last edited:
d54f501d2ebf86220ae58ea58c199fec.jpg

Brian De Palma and Al Pacino produce gold together. Scarface and Carlito's Way are easily some of my all-time favourite crime movies.

Personally one of my favourite Pacino performances as well and I think this movie deserves more love among his top roles.

Can you really go wrong with Sean Penn and Al Pacino? Everybody should watch this at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom