• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MP games needs PC and Mobile to be successful before console

Minecraft, Among Us, Fortnite, Genshin Impact, Overwatch.

All of these either started on PC or Mobile. Very few MP games start on console and are successful beyond that

The only exception I can think of is Rocket league.

Do you think MP games need PC / Mobile to be successful in the long run?

VitoNotVito

Overwatch was released on exactly the same day on PS4/XOne and PC.
Fortnite (Battle Royale) was released on exactly the same day on PS4/XOne and PC.
Genshin Impact was released on exactly the same day on PS4 and PC/Mobile (never released on Xbox)
The only exception is Among Us.
I don't think you have a case here.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Minecraft, Among Us, Fortnite, Genshin Impact, Overwatch.

All of these either started on PC or Mobile. Very few MP games start on console and are successful beyond that

The only exception I can think of is Rocket league.

Do you think MP games need PC / Mobile to be successful in the long run?

I think the realization you're running into is that very few multiplayer-focused games are successful in general.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fortnites player base on console dwarfs its PC player base in size. That's a console game first and foremost.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I don't think so. Except MMOs.
I beg to differ. How many console-only MP games are highly successful? Even outside of MMOs on PC we have the likes of CSGO, DOTA, PUBG (that hit 3.26M peak players before coming to consoles), Roblox, Minecraft, and plenty I'm forgetting.

I guess Fortnite on consoles would be a good candidate since apparently, the bulk of its player base is on consoles.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I beg to differ. How many console-only MP games are highly successful? Even outside of MMOs on PC we have the likes of CSGO, DOTA, PUBG (that hit 3.26M peak players before coming to consoles), Roblox, Minecraft, and plenty I'm forgetting.

I guess Fortnite on consoles would be a good candidate since apparently, the bulk of its player base is on consoles.
What is the relevance in being console only to be sucessful on console?

Last edited:

Mowcno

Rocket League launched on PS+ to tremendous success. It has nothing to do with "multiplayer" and to do with the games themselves. Fall Guys was also the most downloaded ps+ game of all time when it launched on there with an estimated 8 Million downloads in its first week which helped kickstart that too.

Also if it isn't F2P Multiplayer than it's very likely to tank on mobile with some very rare exceptions like Minecraft.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What is the relevance in being console only to be sucessful on console?
OP is making the point that for MP games to be successful, they need to start out on PC/mobile or PC/mobile/consoles. I'm racking my brain trying to think of a console-only MP that is highly successful but cannot think of any. Can't think of any that started off on consoles either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom