• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Explains Why It Doesn't Reveal Console Sales Anymore

H-I-M

They don't share :
Sales.
Profits.
GamePass numbers.

All the relevant metrics are 'coincidently' hidden.

But sure, the Xbox division is doing amazingly good.

on-fire.jpeg

Last edited:

GHG

Imagine instead of a meal being delivered to your house, we have the food made in a building in the neighborhood and send bite site servings of food one mouthful at a time to your home separately. And charge you by the mouthful. Does it even make sense?

It's funny that you say this because it's something I've been referencing for some time. Their endgame is to do exactly that, to start charging us by the mouthful. Rockstar have even made it 100% clear recently.

People who are all-in on these sub services and streaming don't want to acknowledge the fact that pandora's box is being opened and they are the forefathers. Gradually, they will reduce our options bit by bit until we have no choice but to be stuck on some tarrif in order to play games.

You are speaking like streaming is magic.

Streaming is just rental services. The hardware is just in another building. That doesn't remove hardware, it just put it further away from you. There is no benefit to taking the hardware away from your house when it is cheaper and faster to have it in the same room as you. Streaming doesn't make the hardware disappear; it just make it more expensive and worse than local equipment.

Imagine instead of a meal being delivered to your house, we have the food made in a building in the neighborhood and send bite site servings of food one mouthful at a time to your home separately. And charge you by the mouthful. Does it even make sense?

You seem to have really misunderstood streaming.

Streaming doesn't define the purchase type, it's only a method of delivery. You can stream like netflix or you can stream digital movies purchased on VUDU. Don't conflate streaming and a subscription service.

What it does is it drastically reduces the cost for the consumer and the manufacturer while simultaneously increasing adoption and adoption rates. One of the biggest issues for manufacturers is the decrease in attachment when moving over to a new generation. This is also an issue for developers.

With GeforceNow you can get a rtx 4080 streamed to you for minimal costs. Certainly cheaper than buying a gaming rig.

You're lost in this. Your analogy is completely off base.

WitchHunter

Banned
In 2015, Microsoft stopped announcing Xbox sales numbers, and now the company has shed more light on that decision. Xbox CFO Tim Stuart said at the Wells Fargo 2023 TMT Summit this week that Microsoft doesn't publicly discloses these figures because, as Microsoft sees it, a unit-sales number alone doesn't provide the clearest picture of how the Xbox brand is performing overall.

For what it's worth, both Sony and Nintendo announce new hardware sales numbers every quarter. Xbox is understood to be in last place when it comes to console sales compared to PlayStation and Switch, and that might be another reason for Microsoft's lack of console sales disclosure.

Stuart said at the summit, "At first it was like, 'What are you doing?' 'You're the Xbox business and you're not giving us console [sales numbers], that makes no sense.' But it was really the first point of us saying, no, no, it's about content and services."

Stuart said he measures the success of Xbox by the number of customers it has and how much money Xbox makes as a brand, and Xbox is not only a console brand these days.

Before this, Phil Spencer said console sales numbers are "not really a reflection of how healthy your ecosystem is."

Stuart said his job is to help Xbox reach more people and to get Xbox users to spend more money. One way Microsoft is doing that is by giving players a diversity of purchasing options, including buying games outright, subscribing to Game Pass, or watching ads for mobile titles.

The executive said regions like Africa, India, and Southeast Asia are not "console-first" markets, so Microsoft is trying to push streaming and mobile games in those places. The mobile game business is, after all, the largest and most commercially successful part of the gaming business overall.

Stuart estimated that the market for consoles are in the area of a "couple hundred million," while the PC market is around 400 million. For mobile, though, the potential audience is in the billions, he said.

This is part of the reason why Microsoft wanted to buy Activision Blizzard, so it could get a hold of the company's mobile game franchises like Candy Crush, Call of Duty Mobile, Diablo Immortal, and Warcraft Rumble, among others. Stuart stressed that the mobile market is a tough business to break into, and now that it owns Activision Blizzard, it is immediately a top player in the market.

Looking further out, Stuart teased that Microsoft wants to leverage Activision Blizzard's experience in mobile to craft mobile experiences based on Microsoft's own IP. However, he didn't announce Halo Mobile or anything like that; it's still early days for Microsoft mobile games.

Jettison all those divisions out of the host body, so we could trade them on the stock market for fucks sake.

Tams

Totally mad that a lot of you "enthusiast gamers" fail to realize that consoles are not the end all be all metric. Like, has it still not sunk in that Xbox doesn't depend on console sales exclusively to turn a profit? The brand is much bigger than that now. The traditional business model is ages old. They may be 3rd in console sales but revenue is way up.

Coooooooooope.

Ask almost anyone these days about Xbox, and the best they'll have to say it's, "Oh yeah, I remember having an Xbox 360."

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Coooooooooope.

Ask almost anyone these days about Xbox, and the best they'll have to say it's, "Oh yeah, I remember having an Xbox 360."
So your retort is to come at me with some failed attempts at a joke that had no chance in landing as it's nowhere near reality?

I'm sayin, despite your disdain for Xbox, the game has changed significantly. The shit we're hearing on these forums about console sales is excessively out of touch with reality. Even Sony is changing their game plan these days because they can't continue on like they could a decade or two ago. The traditional model of doing business isn't sustainable anymore. Love it or hate it.

Why do you think Sony is copying every move Microsoft is making now? Isn't that new partnership about helping Sony with mobile (correct me if I'm wrong) Seems like the only ones living in delusion is the Sony fanboys.

Eventually y'all will have to acknowledge that Microsoft is doing a hell of a lot better than they were. They are successful! More than they've ever been. And that success is only growing. Living in an echo chamber isn't gonna change a damn thing but your level of acceptance to makeshift fiction. Sheesh!

Tams

So your retort is to come at me with some failed attempts at a joke that had no chance in landing as it's nowhere near reality?

I'm sayin, despite your disdain for Xbox, the game has changed significantly. The shit we're hearing on these forums about console sales is excessively out of touch with reality. Even Sony is changing their game plan these days because they can't continue on like they could a decade or two ago. The traditional model of doing business isn't sustainable anymore. Love it or hate it.

Why do you think Sony is copying every move Microsoft is making now? Isn't that new partnership about helping Sony with mobile (correct me if I'm wrong) Seems like the only ones living in delusion is the Sony fanboys.

Eventually y'all will have to acknowledge that Microsoft is doing a hell of a lot better than they were. They are successful! More than they've ever been. And that success is only growing. Living in an echo chamber isn't gonna change a damn thing but your level of acceptance to makeshift fiction. Sheesh!

Nice essay you've got there.

T-0800

Cracking Up Lol GIF

KungFucius

King Snowflake
But if they were winning the numbers would be everywhere.
But their success numbers actually should capture everywhere where their games or services are used. They are a publicly traded company. They need to show a reasonable measure of success while also not letting one bad number give the wrong impression. Their vision has been to capture more users. If they captured those users then they are successful. PC Gamepass users could be very big for them. Maybe it isn't. The point is, it is a good deal for PC gamers and many console gamers graduate to PC gamers when they get adult jobs. If you were usually an Xbox owner but wanted to try PC, wouldn't it be about 500 bucks easier to make that transition than it would be without Gamepass and day 1 on PC too?

HawarMiran

Banned

get some help

Vroadstar

throw up comedy central GIF by Workaholics

Flutta

Banned

Yoo this is some sad shit…

Yoooooo man this is really some sad shit i’m witnessing. Look at what Phil has done to you guys. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

They have Pentiment. Duh. :p

Day 1 AAA Gamepass was their biggest blunder. They will never be able to sustain that.
They can. They just need to reorganize and turn every studio into a shovelware factory line. Every studio can produce 2 games a year that way and they can release 2 games or more every month.

Reskin -> Recolor -> Retheme -> Rename -> Release

ByWatterson

They can. They just need to reorganize and turn every studio into a shovelware factory line. Every studio can produce 2 games a year that way and they can release 2 games or more every month.

Reskin -> Recolor -> Retheme -> Rename -> Release

Seduce, Reuse, Recycle!

Can anyone explain to me how streaming is supposed to scale? Let's say Baldur's Gate 5 comes out and five million people want to play it at the same time?

Nobody wants to be stuck in a queue.

Holy shit this is only $5 on Series X?

One of the most underrated games ever made. Definitely gonna jump back in and see what it's like with the upgraded hardware. Still the most beautiful skybox ever imo

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The fact that Stadia is dead and Luna is on life support makes this largely unlikely. You need wired Internet for cloud gaming to be remotely enjoyable, and until we basically find a way to defy the laws of physics it will never match input latency of natively playing on a console, which already makes it undesirable to the shooter crowd (aka Call of Duty).
I see it mentioned that Gamepass is coming to so many different things. Yeah? Great. Nobody is paying $17 a month to stream games off their Samsung TV.
I guarantee the number of subscribers that only have access to GP through a TV/streaming device is probabaly in the low 1000s.

Top Bottom