• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS is taking a loss on both Xbox Series X and S

iconmaster

Banned
I mean it is common knowledge that both MS and Sony will take loss on hardware sales.

Since when? Where are you getting this?

I'm quite willing to believe it but AFAIK there has been no real information on that. Do you have something more than fanmade component price lists and rampant speculation?

Grinchy

Banned
Is it true? Who knows. But it does feel like MS is taking the Amazon approach from here on out. They are investing hard with losses so that they can buy consumer mindshare, so that eventually, one day, their subscription service will be profitable.

The hardware prices, the costs of paying for games to appear on game pass, the cut they are giving EA for Access, the cut they are giving to the company that is loaning people money to finance the system, ect. It all adds up to what can't be much left for themselves, if anything at all. But, one day, if this move is successful, game pass and game streaming will be the norm and they will be the ones collecting the checks themselves.

I'm quite willing to believe it but AFAIK there has been no real information on that. Do you have something more than fanmade component price lists and rampant speculation?
Here read this article it explained why console are sold at a loss with details.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Why not? It doesn't matter how much money you have, every penny a company invests has to be justified. While Microsoft is a wealthier company, they aren't going to write Xbox a blank cheque and the same goes for Sony. If they want to launch at a loss, they need to justify it, for which they can point to the lucrative digital games market. There's no reason why Sony won't go for a similar level of loss on each console sold for that reason. Whether they actually DO is uncertain, I agree, but they would be making a big mistake if they don't price match Xbox. The potential rewards dwarf the losses on hardware.

We'll see. That's my gut feeling (educated by mostly extensive experience with Japanese companies, but again, that's not the word of God). At the moment, we don't really have much more to go on.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Taking a loss on hardware is common place. They’ll make their money in software sales and services like PSN/LIVE.

The only company I recall that didn’t take a hardware loss was 3DO. Because they had other manufacturers making their own hardware. We see that didn’t turn out well. A $700 console in 1993.

The Shepard

It's called the loss leader strategy, make small loss on consoles gain it back on game and MTX revenue. Being happening for years.

Fun fact: Every console is sold at a loss when launched.

Nintendo don't tend to sell at a loss and I'm sure the ps4 made a small profit even at launch. Maybe even the xbox one.

iconmaster

Banned
Here read this article it explained why console are sold at a loss with details.

That's just another article taking as gospel unofficial teardown and pricing estimates (in this case, one from iSuppli for the PS3 in 2006).

Actually, I'm not sure you could find any of the major console manufacturers ever admitting to selling at a loss (edit: Sony admitted it on the PS3, after the fact). Phil Spencer came close, but not quite.

What I objected to was your use of the phrase "common knowledge." I submit it's not common knowledge; it's a common assumption. An educated guess, at best. It's one I'm willing to maintain into the new generation, but it's still only an assumption.

MS confirmed a loss on XBox One at launch

You might have in mind the interview I just linked. Unless you know of another, it seems like they never did.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Sony took a $60 loss on every PS4 at launch.

MS confirmed a loss on XBox One at launch, but a number was never given.
Sure it did with creative accounting as they say. That thing sold for more than it was manufactured for.

MH3M3D

Then why bother with xses when current gen gets those games for years and are cheaper?

Cheaper doesnt always sell more, we will see.

Maybe xbox naming is too confusing to casuals?

And I dont remember seeing xbox ads on tv etc ever, so it doesnt help to explain it if that continues. (Ps4 ads are common here)

The leap is big enough for it to count as a brand new console with new features. Parents, younger gamers and casuals are all aboard. Volkswagen sells more than Ferrari, because sometimes its enough just to get from A to B with the money you have.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Sony will do the same, and it can be a pretty large loss if they feel the need
If people want to get fired sure. Tell stock holders today eat 250 dollar losses now for gains in 5 years and you will be shown the door like the PS3 crew. It is fantasy island around here I swear. Sony fan warriors beating their chest exclusives this SSd that no one will buy a Microsoft console. Then beg Sony to lose billions to under cut them out of fear lol. Sony could sell the PS5 for 549 and 499 still get 70% market share. Get some confidence in your product!

Last edited:

The Shepard

Sony took a $60 loss on every PS4 at launch.

MS confirmed a loss on XBox One at launch, but a number was never given.

That's supprised me. I'm sure I read somewhere sony made a small profit on ps4 somewhere around launch, I could obviously be mistaken.

Nintendo are the only company who don't do this then if that's the case, but maybe even they made a loss on one of there consoles along the line. I remember the gamecube being £80 with a game quite early on in that consoles lifespan and I bet the switch wasn't cheap to make at first.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think the PS5 price won't be as high as some figure. I can't see any components that should cost them more than XSX. The cooler and PSU maybe a tiny amount. The APU is smaller, but maybe slightly more problematic as far as pegging the speed and power usage window, but probably still cheaper. Ram is the same amount but cheaper config, smaller SSD (speed doesn't really effect the price, the primary reason the fastest drives are more expensive on PC is because they can be), etc.

Kinda where I'm at. The way I see it is that PS+ likely makes Sony more money per user than GamePass does for MS, its simply a much cheaper service to operate. Maintaining that subscription headcount is going to be a huge deal for Sony, so if they need to take a one-time hit on the hardware... its likely not an unacceptable trade-off for them.

Playstation has its market-share to protect after all, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them going the extra mile to achieve that. Drawing comparisons with PS3 to me really misses the point of where Playstation makes its revenue these days, back in the PS2 to PS3 transition they went from basically no online sales, to a fledgling set of services. With PS4 they have a digital money-making powerhouse.

Last edited:
That S is going to be a huge hit for casuals. If you only play CoD and Fifa every year, why bother with the X or PS5?

Agreed, your analysis of casual consumer spending is perfect. It's why the Xbox One is currently crushing everything in sight because casuals are like "Why bother with anything else." Things like brand history, brand identity, product features, eco-system of compatibility and support, exclusive content in addition to the yearly FIFA/CoD piece etc. -- none of this nonsense matters.

Just one question though. What are the current sales figures of the Xbox One?

If people want to get fired sure. Tell stock holders today eat 250 dollar losses now for gains in 5 years and you will be shown the door like the PS3 crew. It fantasy island around here I swear. Sony fan warriors beating their chest exclusives this SSd that no one will buy a Microsoft console. Then beg Sony to lose billions to under cut them out of fear lol. Sony could sell the PS5 for 549 and 499 still get 70% market share. Get some confidence in your product!

God what's with these dumbass "bU ThE shareholders!" arguments

They don't dictate how Sony competes. It's time you learn what shareholders actually are.

Sony took huge losses at launch even with the PS2. And that would have been perceived as the riskiest launch for them. They're not shy from it

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Ps5 $599
Ps5 digital $549

Sony cannot and won't take a big loss on the ps5 like they tried for the ps3 and it almost bankrupted them.

250 dollars over the Series S price.
A father of a typical family with two kids can almost return home with a console for each one.

It's going to be interesting.

If they match the price of the X, they are probably going to sell the console on a loss too.

If it's more expensive, the narrative of the Xbox being the most powerful and yet the most affordable, it's going to be a huge win for MS.
yeah that's going to work when the S is the face of the Xbox where it looks significantly shittier than the PS5. You can either fight on price or on power, but if you try to have it both ways while having no exclusives or ways to show it you're gonna have your ass handed both ways. Microsoft doesn't get Burger King. They don't get to have it their way. They need to choose one and brace for impact.

quest

Not Banned from OT
God what's with these dumbass "bU ThE shareholders!" arguments

They don't dictate how Sony competes. It's time you learn what shareholders actually are.

Sony took huge losses at launch even with the PS2. And that would have been perceived as the riskiest launch for them. They're not shy from it
Yes because Sony was so price aggressive this past 5 years lol. The 7 year old console is MSRP of 299.99. The ps4 pro embarrassing performance per dollar versus the one x. Making online play cost money. Your damn straight stock holders influence decisions. Keep thinking Sony will eat 250 dollars a device to match the series s in price lol.

Yes because Sony was so price aggressive this past 5 years lol. The 7 year old console is MSRP of 299.99. The ps4 pro embarrassing performance per dollar versus the one x. Making online play cost money. Your damn straight stock holders influence decisions. Keep thinking Sony will eat 250 dollars a device to match the series s in price lol.

Lol you think stockholders are the reason they haven't budged the MSRP? They haven't budged because the console is still flying off shelves

A child would tell you to keep the price the same

Where are you even getting $250 from you muppet? All they need to do it put the damn thing at $400

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Factually Sony took a loss on the PS3 for a while. Factually Microsoft took a loss on the original Xbox.

Companies do this. Why? So it’s priced in an area consumers will buy because these companies make money off accessories/software/services. It’s not all about a console sale. That’s simply the entry ticket into the park.

How do you think cell phone companies offer “free” phones on a trade -in or if you purchase 2 you get 1 free? It’s because they’ll bank on the back end of the deal.

As a finance manager for a used car dealership, I’ll happily sell you the car at my cost. Why? I’ll finance it for you, mark up the rate 2% and sell you a huge warranty.

Last edited:

Reallink

At MS's bulk cost, the S's APU is probably $100-$150, the middle of the road 512GB NVMe ~$60, 10GB of slow RAM ~$50, the mobo, cooling, case, and packaging another $50. In raw BoM, they're much closer to breaking even on Series S than losing (if they're losing at all). The Series X probably adds +$50 to the APU, +$30 to the NVMe, +$50 to the RAM, and +$20 to the case and cooling, so they have a lot more wiggle room in terms of X's raw BoM.

Last edited:
At MS's bulk cost, the S's APU is probably $100-$150, the middle of the road 512GB NVMe ~$60, 10GB of slow RAM ~$50, the mobo, cooling, case, and packaging another $50. In raw BoM, they're much closer to breaking even on Series S than losing (if they're losing at all).

Numbers
Ass
Pulled

fermcr

Microsoft will take a loss on every Xbox Series, and, Sony will take a loss on every PS5. This practice is pretty common, specially on console launch... Microsoft/Sony will recoup the money on software sales (30% on every 3rd party game) and services (Gamepass, PS+, etc).

Last edited:

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
MS are clearly desperate to win this gen and recall their glory 360 days, which were well earned at the time. This time round they've ensured technical superiority which is admirable, but they know that's still not enough to challenge Sony, so are using the mothership banked cash to buy the next gen. It stinks of desperation, and I'm pretty sure at best it will bring them parity.

But Sony knows how to utilise its studios. Microsoft are just making it rain on the cheapest hoes they can. They'll have a little cry-wank out the back car park when it doesn't work.

"Sob.. but I'm such a good guy".

:messenger_winking:

Last edited:
no-shit-sherlock-5e1ff9515e.jpg

I'll grant you that -- they admitted it later. But that doesn't guarantee it's true for every console in every generation.

Arrrrrgh, you people make me nuts sometimes.

They took a loss for the PS2, the PS3 and the PS4

They'll take a loss for the PS5 too. If they don't we'll be lucky to get a PS5 at $500. Not happening

Last edited:

Maddux4164

I'll grant you that -- they admitted it later. But that doesn't guarantee it's true for every console in every generation.

Arrrrrgh, you people make me nuts sometimes.
These companies aren’t getting rich off a console sale. Again it’s games/services/accessories etc

Same goes for me as a finance manager for a car dealership
Same goes for Verizon/AT&T who give you FREE phones.

The physical hardware is simply to get you into their ecosystem of products and services. This isn’t hard to comprehend.

iconmaster

Banned
This isn’t hard to comprehend.

I comprehend it completely. It makes good intuitive sense. That doesn't mean it happens. And teardowns aren't evidence for it: none of us know what prices MS or Sony or Nintendo are really paying for their components. They get sweet bulk deals that we can only guess at.

So long as we all acknowledge we're guessing here (except where a manufacturer has actually confirmed something), I have no objection. It's the certainty that we know when all we have are assumptions that drives me up the wall. This is why journalism is bad, and the world is burning, and the Kardashians have a show that lasts over ten years.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

I comprehend it completely. It makes good intuitive sense. That doesn't mean it happens. And teardowns aren't evidence for it: none of us know what prices MS or Sony or Nintendo are really paying for their components. They get sweet bulk deals that we can only guess at.

So long as we all acknowledge we're guessing here (except where a manufacturer has actually confirmed something), I have no objection. It's the certainty that we know when all we have are assumptions that drives me up the wall.

Companies aren’t one to come out and say “hey we’re taking a wash on our products. Like us more please” 🙄

It’s how business works, so long as they get more on the software/service side. Which they will.

Explain how someone buys 1 iPhone, gets 1 free? AT&T had to purchase that phone and they buy it straight up retail price.
They’ll make money because you’ll pay them monthly to keep the damn phone activated on their towers

Maddux4164

We're talking at complete cross-purposes. Sorry I couldn't explain it better.
AT&T factually makes $0 on phones. Absolutely a giant $0. They make even less when they give one away. They purchase from Apple at full on retail. No “sweet deal”.

Reallink

Numbers
Ass
Pulled

Not really, more so educated estimates. Those memory speeds are likely GDDR5, and can be loosely sourced to run ~$50 for a 10GB package here in late 2020. 4000+Mbps NVMe drives sell to consumers for as low as ~$100/TB (with profits shared between retailers, the actual component manufacturer, and the brand that repackages it). A 2400Mpbs 512GB drive is not going to be expensive at MS's volume, sourced directly from the component manufacturer. The APU can be reasonably estimated from the die size and past console component prices. Truthfully the Series S's APU is probably much closer to $100 with the X's closer to $150, but I allowed a lot of leeway. New fab process nodes are more expensive, but you're only talking single or low double digit percentage increases, not 2x the cost. I'm only speaking to raw component costs, when companies talk about losses on hardware you have to consider whether they're discussing the BoM or are also rolling other expenses like R&D expenses into it. This is how Nintendo accounting can claim with a straight face that they're losing money on their outdated hardware with 100%+ profit margins over the BoM, they front load the R&D expenditure.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

^ The ram in all the consoles announced appears to be gddr6 14 gbps. Total bandwidth is controlled by the number of controllers and chips in use, gddr5 would net lower results in these specific configurations.

It helps to take a loss of you know that you're going to get paid for the next 2 years via payment plans. Debt in the short term is worth steady money in the long term.

Holammer

Could the Series S be a dumping ground for failed Series X yields? Or is the chip its entirely own product?
It would make sense to just deactivate CU's on chips that fail to get the required 52 for a Series X chip.

MagnesG

Banned
That's supprised me. I'm sure I read somewhere sony made a small profit on ps4 somewhere around launch, I could obviously be mistaken.

Nintendo are the only company who don't do this then if that's the case, but maybe even they made a loss on one of there consoles along the line. I remember the gamecube being £80 with a game quite early on in that consoles lifespan and I bet the switch wasn't cheap to make at first.
Switch was estimated to be factory produced around $257 during the launch.
If I'm not mistaken only the old 3ds was sold at loss following the price cut because of the backlash due to the exorbitant $250 launch price ($150 after that) but the rumor is that they managed to recoup the cost real quick just months after.

DavJay

Even at $599 the ps3 was selling at a $300 lost. They could easily do $349-399 if they really wanted to and kill Xbox. But pride will not allow them to lower the value of thenps5 in consumer’s eyes.

Paulxo87

Obviously there is loss taken. These consoles ended up being more powerful than anyone had thought. If you entertained the idea a year ago that next gen would be 10+TFLOPS of RDNA2, zen 2 CPUs, crazy fast SSD's etc you would have been laughed off of every forum

Last edited:
Top Bottom