• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS is taking a loss on both Xbox Series X and S

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don't know, but SSDs that meet Sony's requirements for compatibility with the PS5 haven't been released yet; I would imagine that they'll initially be more expensive than Xbox's proprietary SSDs due to being new to the market. However, since they'll be made by numerous, competing companies, their prices will eventually drop below that of Xbox's proprietary ones in terms of cost per gigabyte, whereass Xbox's will remain more or less the same or decrease very little over time due to lack of competition.

Microsoft have said seagate will produce them at first. remember when playstation had memory cards and everybody started to produce them

420bits

It's called the loss leader strategy, make small loss on consoles gain it back on game and MTX revenue. Being happening for years.

Nintendo don't tend to sell at a loss and I'm sure the ps4 made a small profit even at launch. Maybe even the xbox one.

I wonder if that has anything todo with Nintendo using hardware they bought from the yardsale Nvidia had 5 years ago :D

RGB'D

Didn't Phil say that they are not concerned about selling the most consoles and winning the war? why are you selling at a loss then

tumblr_olfjak7gbh1vknncio1_500.gif
So we're complaining about affordable consoles now? How dare they? I think they should charge at least 100$ more per console. /s

FranXico

To be fair, most consoles are sold at a loss for the first few years. In fact i'm pretty sure this gen was the only gen where both consoles werent selling at a loss.
They were sold at a small loss at launch, but recovered for it very quickly. Indeed, this generation was where they started profiting the fastest.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Gold Member
They're probably taking a loss on gamepass now that it includes EA Play at the same price.

I wonder how long they will keep gamepass at this price.

Top Bottom