• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTA unveils new train designs aimed to fix NYC subway crowding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some stations have countdown clocks, but most still do not, despite it being years after them announcing they would come.

Part of the problem is because of how the subway system was developed. It has to do with there being 3 different companies that developed the lines and the way signaling was handled. The numbered lines are all up an running. The lettered ones are slowly being upgraded.

AndyD

aka andydumi
There is no way that the finished product looks anywhere as nice as those pictures suggest.

If they directly copy European cities (which it seems they are) it will look just like that. Whether it will stay clean is something else.

Weckum

USB ports, lol. People will straight up murder other people to charge their phones. Also, malware.

Also, who doesn't have a powerbank these days?

You guys don't have countdown clocks and service announcements? What?

Nope, and it's incredibly frustrating that countdown clocks haven't come to all the stops yet. Would alleviate so many problems.

Part of the problem is because of how the subway system was developed. It has to do with there being 3 different companies that developed the lines and the way signaling was handled. The numbered lines are all up an running. The lettered ones are slowly being upgraded.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. And certainly makes sense.

tbm24

I just want cars with functioning AC. Is that too much to ask for on 90 degrees + days?
Those days where they put the old train in service with the ceiling fans and open windows, the train is much cooler. Miss being able to pop open a window on the subway. Same for the Bus actually, at least my bus line.

I ride the NQR line to and from Penn Station for work and have never had a car without AC. I think I'm just lucky as that's a fairly major line. It's not terribly crowded, either. Around 42nd street (Times Square) it can get bad, but it's usually breathable. The platforms are generally worse than the actual cars themselves.

People are gonna cum in the USB ports.

my thoughts exactly

Not to mention, why would you be in a subway station so long you're able to charge your devices in the fucking first place!?

The subway isn't somewhere I want to hang around and relax in - get me the fuck out ASAP and I'll be happy.

I've spent plenty of time waiting for my train to show up, especially late night in Brooklyn.

They're all fitted with A/C units -- some are just broken because why not? And these are CROWDED cars with CROWDED platforms.

Situations like this aren't uncommon:

04crowding-web1-master768.jpg

This is stressing me out just looking at it.

Kind of insane how far behind NYC subway system seems to be from other similarly large metropolitan areas. Aside from USB almost every train and major station in Tokyo had the features described in the OP in some form or another.

How did they not include installing gates to block the track at every station? It eliminates the largest hazard of the subway.

Edit: also, nobody should ever plug their device into a public USB port. Ever.

Look exactly like the current one.

Why can't MTA put outter doors in the platform so people won't throw garbage or themselves on to the track?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This is stressing me out just looking at it.

Kind of insane how far behind NYC subway system seems to be from other similarly large metropolitan areas. Aside from USB almost every train and major station in Tokyo had the features described in the OP in some form or another.

NYC's system is very very old and very very large (even compared to Tokyo, at least for the subway). It's also very much a mixed bag. For every train that looks like this:

9KuzFFb.jpg

there's another one that looks like this:

sprXuqw.jpg

And these are not the only types of trains in service. Some look much much shittier than that first pic. Some look much nicer and more modern than the second pic.

Marvie_3

Banned
Now the showtimers will have extra room to dance

And these are not the only types of trains in service. Some look much much shittier than that first pic. Some look much nicer and more modern than the second pic.
You didn't post pics of some of the C & J line trains that were originally used to haul supplies during the Civil War.

NYC's system is very very old and very very large (even compared to Tokyo, at least for the subway). It's also very much a mixed bag. For every train that looks like this:

9KuzFFb.jpg

sprXuqw.jpg

The NYC Subway is also 24/7 unlike the Tokyo Metro. Which limits the time they can work on improving the system.

ItIsOkBro

listen people, the subway isn't gonna leave without you.

just stand at the side of the door and let people off, don't rush in like a pack of wild animals.

Mii

Banned
Look exactly like the current one.

Why can't MTA put outter doors in the platform so people won't throw garbage or themselves on to the track?

Floor to ceiling outer doors could also allow for A/C in stations eventually too. This is a very important and necessary upgrade, and is probably the biggest disappointment of this plan. Ideally it could be rolled out with phasing in the newer trains on certain lines (L comes to mind, particularly during its shutdown in 2019).

Gallbaro

Banned
How did they not include installing gates to block the track at every station? It eliminates the largest hazard of the subway.

Edit: also, nobody should ever plug their device into a public USB port. Ever.
It's a small hazard and the car doors do not uniformly line up across a divisions fleet.

9KuzFFb.jpg

sprXuqw.jpg

The first one looks better to me

How in the hell are you supposed to get away from a ripe hobo if the cars are all connected?

Seriously, the most dangerous thing in NYC is an empty subway car during rush hour.

Nephtes

The interior designs kind of remind me of Paris's subway cars.

Nothing will be as nice as London's Underground though.
Easiest subway to navigate ever... Just mind the gap.

Nevasleep

I hope they roll it out.

Traveling on the London Underground is so much better than most other BIG city metros. Countdown clocks, maps everywhere, decent trains, and the amount of staff around.

The only thing I ever ask of public transport is no cushioned seats, because those things soak up ass juices bad. So this looks good

Holy shit what? At least the MTA is stepping the game up.

Blessed Prague metro. Damn.

passengers-on-prague-metro-train-bkc72p.jpg

The lighting/colour would give me migraines.

Exactly like the new cars in Toronto. They're about a billion times better.

They're supposed to but haven't you noticed how people just gravitate to certain spots on the train instead of spreading out? Everyone moves to where they want to get off and on the TTC there are only a few spots at each station that happens. It still ends up being a shit show with crowds that are difficult to get through.

zero_suit

The interior designs kind of remind me of Paris's subway cars.

Nothing will be as nice as London's Underground though.
Easiest subway to navigate ever... Just mind the gap.
Never been to London, but the Paris metro was very easy to navigate and clean. NYC, America's gold standard, is far behind Europe. I can only imagine how the subways are in Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom