• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTA unveils new train designs aimed to fix NYC subway crowding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorskin

----- ------
Looks pretty nice, hope it doesn't take over 2 decades to deliver.

Pretty happy with what we have in Montreal minus trains not running 24/7.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Those USB ports (besides being filled with piss, cum, blood and crust) will be obsolete by the time these renovations are completed.

Original USB will live forever, both functionally and mechanically.

This is stressing me out just looking at it.

Kind of insane how far behind NYC subway system seems to be from other similarly large metropolitan areas. Aside from USB almost every train and major station in Tokyo had the features described in the OP in some form or another.

Parking is a nightmare and parking rates are fucking crazy, it's cheaper to leave you car home and take Subway, in what it cost to park your car for 3 days, you buy a 1 month unlimited metrocard, so the system is over crowded, and nothing will change, not even in 50 years as the population continues to grow..

pj

Banned
The main part of this is new subway cars so I'm not sure why people are doubting it will get done.

It's not like the MTA will get a box of train parts and a sheet of instructions. They're going to cut a check to a company that will build and deliver them. The MTA just has to put them on the tracks. The wifi might take a while but with thousands of people on a single train it would be impossible for it to be decent anyway.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm guessing these new trains and retrofitted stations are only for all of Manhattan and targeted stations in the Bronx right?

The main part of this is new subway cars so I'm not sure why people are doubting it will get done.

It's not like the MTA will get a box of train parts and a sheet of instructions. They're going to cut a check to a company that will build and deliver them. The MTA just has to put them on the tracks. The wifi might take a while but with thousands of people on a single train it would be impossible for it to be decent anyway.

http://spoilednyc.com/2015/08/17/th...ars-in-nyc-will-keep-on-keepin-on-until-2022/

It's not like there's a history of delays to subway car shipments, amirite...

For the record, the cars that run on the C train were supposed to be replaced two decades ago. They were supposed to have a useful life of 30 years, but they are now 52 years old, and will be closing on 60 years when they are finally replaced.

Those USB ports (besides being filled with piss, cum, blood and crust) will be obsolete by the time these renovations are completed.

Why are you guys so against USB port? There are already USB charging ports on the street of NY right now. Right now. I saw a couple near a 7 train 103 st station I think.

milanbaros

Member?
If London had 3 rails for week long 24hr then it would be almost perfect. Although the night us network is good enough.

At least weekend 24hr is coming in.

Also need to bring all other London lines under the overground network.

Those USB charging ports are right where I like to stand on the train. I'm gonna be asked to change my spot for someone who wastes their battery on Pokemon GO.

I gotta find a new spot now...

pj

Banned
http://spoilednyc.com/2015/08/17/th...ars-in-nyc-will-keep-on-keepin-on-until-2022/

It's not like there's a history of delays to subway car shipments, amirite...

For the record, the cars that run on the C train were supposed to be replaced two decades ago. They were supposed to have a useful life of 30 years, but they are now 52 years old, and will be closing on 60 years when they are finally replaced.

Ha, I am wrong then.

BUT, in that case the manufacturer is to blame and not the MTA.

I took the c train daily for a few years until relatively recently. Aside from aesthetics and reliability they are fine. The air conditioning is better on old trains, probably because they are worse for the environment, and the dimmer lighting is more pleasant than the operating room feel of new trains.

BokehKing

Banned
To debut in 2045.

Seriously, though, just seeing how long it's taken them to build out the 2nd Ave subway, we'll be long dead before we see this implemented. And still paying for it somehow despite the MTA's billion dollar budget surpluses several years ago.

Fuck the MTA.
Bro.......I can see myself going to heaven 40 years from now
Being on some long ass DMV line to get in, and then being like
"Oh you were a resident of NY? Well according to the Arch Angels ....Pataki, Guilliani, Cuomo's and Bloomberg, you're required to pay tax here while in heaven"

But how do we isolate stanky hobo smells to a single car?

I asked the same thing and no one had an answer. This is the biggest benefit of the current setup. I will gladly take overcrowding if I can switch trains to get away from a bad smell. I don't think you non-New Yorkers know how bad a stanky hobo can ruin a car.

They're all fitted with A/C units -- some are just broken because why not? And these are CROWDED cars with CROWDED platforms.

Situations like this aren't uncommon:

04crowding-web1-master768.jpg

Yeah if you commute from Brooklyn using the L, you are pretty much fuq'd

This is stressing me out just looking at it.

Kind of insane how far behind NYC subway system seems to be from other similarly large metropolitan areas. Aside from USB almost every train and major station in Tokyo had the features described in the OP in some form or another.

These trains run 24/7, NYC has the best public transit system in the world when you weigh the size, span and complexity of never stopping. I know a transportation geographer who will tell you the same thing.

GusBus

These trains run 24/7, NYC has the best public transit system in the world when you weigh the size, span and complexity of never stopping. I know a transportation geographer who will tell you the same thing.

I've been to London, Paris, New York (live here), Hong Kong, Tokyo, Beijing - quite a few metros. I would agree, although the state of some of our cars is lamentable.

Kill3r7

Not Looking forward to that fair increase tho

Fare increase is inevitable. As long as the commuting conditions improve I will put up with it. The big issue is whether or not the infrastructure will give out before the new trains are implemented. I know not an MTA issue per se but the tunnel leading into NY Penn Station is in desperate need of repair and it just happens to be one the main way for nearly 700K commuters get to NYC day in and day out.

I asked the same thing and no one had an answer. This is the biggest benefit of the current setup. I will gladly take overcrowding if I can switch trains to get away from a bad smell. I don't think you non-New Yorkers know how bad a stanky hobo can ruin a car.

My thoughts are the new trains should have improved air conditioning and filtration systems. I mean full-on HEPA filters with UV filtration.

Tigress

To debut in 2045.

Seriously, though, just seeing how long it's taken them to build out the 2nd Ave subway, we'll be long dead before we see this implemented. And still paying for it somehow despite the MTA's billion dollar budget surpluses several years ago.

Fuck the MTA.

Come to Seattle. You'll appreciate MTA. Seattle keeps insisting on putting money in dumb ideas and then questioning it after 75 percent of the money is spent. Like they finally decided on a dedicated rail system but it will be light rail. I think the world's biggest light rail system which there is a reason you don't get light rail that big. It still is better than the previous attempt at finally getting a rail system in mass transit here. Before we had the sounder, a train that was severely limited in schedule cause it shared the track with Amtrak and freight trains.

I originally come from Atlanta. I always complained about the mass transit there (was comparing it to new york's actually). Now I realize how good Atlanta had it.

Polari

NYC's system is very very old and very very large (even compared to Tokyo, at least for the subway). It's also very much a mixed bag. For every train that looks like this:

9KuzFFb.jpg

there's another one that looks like this:

sprXuqw.jpg

And these are not the only types of trains in service. Some look much much shittier than that first pic. Some look much nicer and more modern than the second pic.

London's the same. Some of the stock dates back 40+ years.

Dyno

To debut in 2045.

Fuck the MTA.

I want to help you out.

I don't know the NYC situation but we have the same problem in TO. No AC in sweltering weather. But in TO the first and last car is AC because that is where operators are located. It's in their union contract to work in AC.

Check it out in NYC. It could be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom