• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTA unveils new train designs aimed to fix NYC subway crowding

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is stressing me out just looking at it.

Kind of insane how far behind NYC subway system seems to be from other similarly large metropolitan areas. Aside from USB almost every train and major station in Tokyo had the features described in the OP in some form or another.

While the MTA sucks, they have a difficult problem on their hands. They must run 24 hrs a day versus other subways which will shut down.

A few other tidbits:

Number of Subway Lines: NYC 24 / Tokyo 13
Number of stations: NYC 468 / Tokyo 278
Miles of track: NYC 659 / Tokyo 189

NYC has a lot of ground to cover and its system is incredibly complex. Maintaining all of that track and the number of stations sucks up a ton of money.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I want to help you out.

I don't know the NYC situation but we have the same problem in TO. No AC in sweltering weather. But in TO the first and last car is AC because that is where operators are located. It's in their union contract to work in AC.

Check it out in NYC. It could be the same.

I don't know what lines you guys are on with constantly broken AC. I've taken the G, 6, N, R, F and L trains almost every day for the past 6-7 years, and I've been on a car with broken AC under 10 times.

I don't know what lines you guys are on with constantly broken AC. I've taken the G, 6, N, R, F and L trains almost every day for the past 6-7 years, and I've been on a car with broken AC under 10 times.

yeah its pretty rare on the 6 train, but when you do encounter a car with broken AC its a nightmare. I usually hop out at the next stop and find a different car. I do not traverse the different train cars while its in motion.

EDIT: I've noticed that the A, C, and E trains usually have broken AC units. But then again those trains are old and gross.

While the MTA sucks, they have a difficult problem on their hands. They must run 24 hrs a day versus other subways which will shut down.

A few other tidbits:

NYC has a lot of ground to cover and its system is incredibly complex. Maintaining all of that track and the number of stations sucks up a ton of money.

Not to mention they are underfunded. Even with the high ridership and uptick in pricing they make barely enough to pay their workers and maintain the existing assets.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

A few other tidbits:

Plus NYC runs 24/7/365 and only ever stops for flooding or insane weather. It takes like Sandy level storms to shut it down.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Or the idiot Cuomo wanting an action conference!

And the employees are drastically overpaid and ineffective.

Ineffective doesn't even begin to describe the fat, ugly, and lazy oafs that sit inside every Subway station kiosk. Some of them won't even offer directions to lost transplants or tourists. I always hear these stories from people who visit NYC.

I don't even know what to say to them. I just shrug and go "yep...that's how it is".

amanset

Ineffective doesn't even begin to describe the fat, ugly, and lazy oafs that sit inside every Subway station kiosk. Some of them won't even offer directions to lost transplants or tourists. I always hear these stories from people who visit NYC.

I don't even know what to say to them. I just shrug and go "yep...that's how it is".

Yep.

I was there as a tourist two weeks ago. I've lived in two cities with an underground (London and Stockholm) and was amazed at two things:

1. The basic lack of maps. I'm used to them being everywhere (in Stockholm at pretty much every entrance to a platform there is a diagram of that line, where you are on it and where that platform goes to). Not only could I rarely find them in NYC and had to use a mobile app, but the ones I did find apparently must have been created before the 1930s as they seemed to ignore the stylised map that most major underground systems use, preferring one that was more in line with geographical position.

2. The staff. Few and far between and acted as if they were doing you a favour just being there. One of our number was a bit confused with how the travelcard system worked and wanted to clear up a few things before putting her money down. She got straight up ignored by the staff member in the booth. He didn't want to give her the time of day.

I was, however, impressed with the air condition trains - and I didn't go in a single one that had failed AC. I'm not sure how you survive without AC in the stations though. We didn't see the tiny piece of paper saying that the (IIRC) M train wasn't going to Delancey St after about 9pm and so hung around a bit too long waiting for one - and then even longer waiting for an F train once we knew what was going on. I thought I was going to pass out in the station due to the heat. Although I gather a minor heatwave was going on.

Apt101

Love the NYC subway system. Never understood why it breeds idiots who don't understand you're supposed to wait for people to exit before shoving on.

It's not bad, almost nothing like how it's often portrayed in film and television. Some parts are filthy and decaying, but it's not terrible. I much prefer D.C.'s system though - far more spacious, much cleaner and more modern, with better seating.

It's not bad, almost nothing like how it's often portrayed in film and television. Some parts are filthy and decaying, but it's not terrible. I much prefer D.C.'s system though - far more spacious, much cleaner and more modern, with better seating.

Ha. I moved from DC to NYC and I think the flat rate, 24/7 service and all out reach of the NYC system far outweigh the the cons and any of the pros of the DC system. I can't stand the DC metro.

They're all fitted with A/C units -- some are just broken because why not? And these are CROWDED cars with CROWDED platforms.

Situations like this aren't uncommon:

04crowding-web1-master768.jpg

I'm having a panic attack just looking at that.

Gallbaro

Banned
I was, however, impressed with the air condition trains - and I didn't go in a single one that had failed AC. I'm not sure how you survive without AC in the stations though. We didn't see the tiny piece of paper saying that the (IIRC) M train wasn't going to Delancey St after about 9pm and so hung around a bit too long waiting for one - and then even longer waiting for an F train once we knew what was going on. I thought I was going to pass out in the station due to the heat. Although I gather a minor heatwave was going on.

LOL, heat wave has nothing to do with it. There is a day typically in late June (and it really is an overnight event) where the stations just go hot and unbearable and you get swamp ass. This is the first day of NYC summer.

Then magically one day, once again overnight, the stations become bearable again, this usually happens in September and is the last day of NYC summer.

pj

Banned
Yep.

I was there as a tourist two weeks ago. I've lived in two cities with an underground (London and Stockholm) and was amazed at two things:

1. The basic lack of maps. I'm used to them being everywhere (in Stockholm at pretty much every entrance to a platform there is a diagram of that line, where you are on it and where that platform goes to). Not only could I rarely find them in NYC and had to use a mobile app, but the ones I did find apparently must have been created before the 1930s as they seemed to ignore the stylised map that most major underground systems use, preferring one that was more in line with geographical position.

Why would you prefer a map to an app? There are several pretty good freee ones dedicated to just the NYC subway system. They list service changes and such and some can do route planning. Google maps also uses real time schedules and takes scheduled maintenance/delays into account when giving a travel route.

Also you're usually better off asking someone who looks like a local rather than talk to an MTA employee. People here may have resting fuckoff face, but I never see anyone refuse to give directions.

Crispy75

London's the same. Some of the stock dates back 40+ years.

Yep. Here's the brand new S Stock which runs on the "subsurface lines" very similar to NYC subway in size. Air-con, walkthrough, wide doors, good acceleration, quiet. Lovely trains.

SwbU7k7.jpg

And here's the 1972 Stock on the bakerloo line. 44 years old. Smells like your grandma's house. Hot, cramped, loud and slow. A horror show. CUrrent plans won't see them replaced till 2033, at which point they will be 59 years old. Mental.

AubE9gt.jpg

One thing I like about the tube compared to many other metros is the soft seats. The NYC subway furniture looks like a prison cell.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
they need to fix the speakers and mics for the announcements

I rarely understand what's being said in these things

PreFire

This all seems cool, but are they going to do anything about idiots who perform on trains then go begging people who are taking the train (like they're rich) for money.. Then when they don't get money they curse you out and say you have no heart.

What about the homeless? There's always some disgusting, dirty, smelly person either sitting and taking the whole bench (which is fucking gross, once he gets up someone else will sit in his place and possibly get bed bugs or some shit) or walking from car to car, touching stuff and cursing you out if you don't give them money. God bless you if you give them money, but to fuck yourself if you don't. Yesterday this dirty fuck tried to grab a little boys cheek who was with his mother-the mother looked horrified and got up from her seat and moved to the other side.

I've got nothing against people down on their luck. But this is a paid for transportation where people just want to commute from one place to another without worrying about catching a disease because someone with untreatable TB coughs on you.

And LOL at people saying the USB ports will be full of STDs. There are already free public ones in the street, and people don't vandalize those (that I've seen)

The built in wifi is definitely a long waited feature. Gonna have to enable wifi calling when it's available.

FYI I rarely take the train, but it's the same nonsense every single time. I'd only feel safe in a hazmat suit

Yep. Here's the brand new S Stock which runs on the "subsurface lines" very similar to NYC subway in size. Air-con, walkthrough, wide doors, good acceleration, quiet. Lovely trains.

SwbU7k7.jpg

And here's the 1972 Stock on the bakerloo line. 44 years old. Smells like your grandma's house. Hot, cramped, loud and slow. A horror show. CUrrent plans won't see them replaced till 2033, at which point they will be 59 years old. Mental.

AubE9gt.jpg

One thing I like about the tube compared to many other metros is the soft seats. The NYC subway furniture looks like a prison cell.

If you had soft seats in NYC it would be covered in hobo shit, foreign substances, bodily fluids, dog shit, gum, and odd stains by the end of the day. They're a hard surface for a reason.

Dirty-bus-seat.gif

If you had soft seats in NYC it would be covered in hobo shit, foreign substances, bodily fluids, dog shit, gum, and odd stains by the end of the day. They're a hard surface for a reason.

Seriously. People would piss on them for fun.

I wish I were kidding.

Ha. I moved from DC to NYC and I think the flat rate, 24/7 service and all out reach of the NYC system far outweigh the the cons and any of the pros of the DC system. I can't stand the DC metro.

I agree. I visited China last year. Major cities in China has the newest and the cleanest subway systems.

But I prefer NYC's 24 hr service over it. I just need MTA put some fucking outer doors in the platforms. I understand there is no hope to increase the subway speed.

Marvie_3

Banned
I wish something like that Triboro RX subway would happen. Id love to be able to not have to pass through manhattan all the time.

mf.luder

They're supposed to but haven't you noticed how people just gravitate to certain spots on the train instead of spreading out? Everyone moves to where they want to get off and on the TTC there are only a few spots at each station that happens. It still ends up being a shit show with crowds that are difficult to get through.

I hope you're saying that we need people like in Japan who jam people into the subway cars to do the same within the cars. Spread them out.

amanset

Why would you prefer a map to an app?

I find it easier to plan when I can easily read more of the map at once.

Also, not everyone has a smartphone. Not everyone has a data plan where they can download the app (especially international tourists, roaming charges can be brutal).

Pluto

Gangway style trains, service announcements, countdown clocks and maps??? That's standard where I live and our subway is neither new nor fancy, how is it possible New York City of all places doesn't have that?

And you have people sitting in booths in every station? Why? What is their job exactly? Here personnel walks through the bigger stations to check on things and to be approachable, in smaller stations there's no personnel except for the cleaning staff who shows up a few times per day. I can't imagine a reason why you would need personnel in every station all the time.

oggob

We have our own issues over here in Sydney with trains that everyone has, sometimes late, cancellations, breakdowns, all that crap..

I'm sure it might be due to some of the older infrastructure in some cities that might no allow it, but I find it weird that many major cities don't adopt the dual level carriages.

15840524824_14e6907773_b.jpg

We have our own issues over here in Sydney with trains that everyone has, sometimes late, cancellations, breakdowns, all that crap..

I'm sure it might be due to some of the older infrastructure in some cities that might no allow it, but I find it weird that many major cities don't adopt the dual level carriages.

For subway travel like Toronto or New York I doubt those would fit in the existing tunnels.

Ontario does have a regional dual level carriage train system.

I hope you're saying that we need people like in Japan who jam people into the subway cars to do the same within the cars. Spread them out.

Is there a way we could change people so they have a basic awareness and consideration for the people around them? Also Japan shovers will do as well.

Unless I missed the reason, the A Train still hadn't received the upgrade to the non yellow/orange one, so I doubt I'll see the A Train upgraded in my lifetime.

On one hand, shame, on the other hand, the corner seats still live!

oggob

For subway travel like Toronto or New York I doubt those would fit in the existing tunnels.

Ontario does have a regional dual level carriage train system.

Yeah, I know they wont, our carriages are 80cm higher and 40cm wider than a US New York Subway Car. The London tube is even smaller still...

Just seems that alot of cities that have a primarily outdoor network still use single levels.

That being said, our government are buying a stack of single level trains that will run on a new line extension, but they are only compatible for that line and none of the existing fleet will work on the new line, complete clusterfuck.

Jacobi

Banned

What the heck? Really looks like German trains...

Pics_nao

This shit better be happening to the Saratoga stop on the 3/4 line with how long it's going to be down for. Hate having to walk to the Rockaway station every day to catch the train there.

pj

Banned
Yeah, I know they wont, our carriages are 80cm higher and 40cm wider than a US New York Subway Car. The London tube is even smaller still...

Just seems that alot of cities that have a primarily outdoor network still use single levels.

That being said, our government are buying a stack of single level trains that will run on a new line extension, but they are only compatible for that line and none of the existing fleet will work on the new line, complete clusterfuck.

Two level trains are better for longer distances. They presumably can't take turns as fast and take longer in each station for unloading/loading. I think they would be a nightmare within NYC, but some of the light rail that comes in from the burbs is 2 level.

The current method of tracking where trains are is like 100 years old, doesn't tell you exactly where a train is, and leaves giant buffers between trains. Upgrading that will allow for trains to be run more frequently.

jstripes

Banned

We've had those for decades in the Greater Toronto Area.

urk3mRl.jpg

I rode those things for years.

BkMogul

I'm happy with the current modern trains (the E,J and L line) to name a few. It'd be nice if they upgraded every train to that version, but that'd require substantial cash. But for the love of all that's holy, don't put USB ports. Give me less "train traffic" and "signal problen" BS and we're good.

Air conditioning in public transit is incredibly expensive and adds a lot of points of failure.

DC trains have AC in them

This is stressing me out just looking at it.

Kind of insane how far behind NYC subway system seems to be from other similarly large metropolitan areas. Aside from USB almost every train and major station in Tokyo had the features described in the OP in some form or another.

Even though NYC subway has a lot of problems, it's arguably better than any other subway system in the US. DC doesn't cover as large an area, Boston doesn't cover a lot either and has the green line, nuff said. Atlanta, Philly, Chicago, SF, Baltimore have the same problems of being way too small (given their pop/area) and not reaching out everywhere in the city. LA is a joke given the population there. Every other metropolitan area in the US does not have a rapid transit system and you're lucky if they have a lightrail running in a 20-30 mile radius and/or a commuter rail.

nickcv

The look nice, they remind me a lot of the new trains in london

$3.00, then $3.25 rides incoming soon, somebody's gotta pay for this shit..

wow, I expected the tube to be more expensive in NY... I thought it was more along the lines of what we pay in London.

Sylas

I'm happy with the current modern trains (the E,J and L line) to name a few. It'd be nice if they upgraded every train to that version, but that'd require substantial cash. But for the love of all that's holy, don't put USB ports. Give me less "train traffic" and "signal problen" BS and we're good.

"Train traffic ahead," is one of the most mysterious phrases in the NYC lexicon.

What does it mean? What happened? Are we stuck here forever? Is this my new home?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
wow, I expected the tube to be more expensive in NY... I thought it was more along the lines of what we pay in London.

$2.75 is one flat fee. No added cost for distance, time of day, etc. You also get a free transfer with the fare, so transfer to another train or to a bus (or bus to train). Plus it's 24/7.

"Train traffic ahead," is one of the most mysterious phrases in the NYC lexicon.

What does it mean? What happened? Are we stuck here forever? Is this my new home?

It's code for someone tried to jump (probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case). Someone is sick. Either way, the MTA is stopping to investigate and cover their asses.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
$2.75 is one flat fee. No added cost for distance, time of day, etc. You also get a free transfer with the fare, so transfer to another train or to a bus (or bus to train). Plus it's 24/7.

It's code for someone tried to jump (probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case). Someone is sick. Either way, the MTA is stopping to investigate and cover their asses.

You can't transfer train to train if you need to leave the station. It only works for busses. I found this out the hard way when transferring from the G to the M.

pj

Banned

No way man. The train stops and I hear "We are delayed because of train traffic ahead of us. We apologize for any inconvenience" at least 5 times a week. Usually it's less than 30 seconds, which implies that trains are running as tight as possible and some jackass at the next station held the doors or some shit.

"sick passenger" is their more serious announcement

Sylas

I'm fairly certain there was a jumper a few months back. My A was delayed like... two hours starting at 14th. I basically walked from 14th to 34th for the hell of it and just had a longer day than I wanted.

No way man. The train stops and I hear "We are delayed because of train traffic ahead of us. We apologize for any inconvenience" at least 5 times a week. Usually it's less than 30 seconds, which implies that trains are running as tight as possible and some jackass at the next station held the doors or some shit.

"sick passenger" is their more serious announcement

That's what I always figured. Especially during rush when they are running super tight and people always gotta hold the door or stay way too close to the door and refuse to get off or move forward.

Like goddamn just wait 5-8 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom