• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTA unveils new train designs aimed to fix NYC subway crowding

Status
Not open for further replies.

strata8

We have our own issues over here in Sydney with trains that everyone has, sometimes late, cancellations, breakdowns, all that crap..

I'm sure it might be due to some of the older infrastructure in some cities that might no allow it, but I find it weird that many major cities don't adopt the dual level carriages.

15840524824_14e6907773_b.jpg

There's not really much point, it makes sense for longer distance trips but in many metros and I guess the inner part of Sydney's rail network the line capacity is limited by how quickly you can get people on and off trains. Double deck sort of goes against that, ours have 2 doors per carriage and the RER has 3 but many metros have 4 or 5. Plus the stairs limit movement and accessibility etc... there are a lot of disadvantages. It's something you'd choose if you wanted to prioritise the number of seats over everything else.

That's part of the reason why the new rail line being built is single deck:

sydney-metro-train-internal2.jpg

It's code for someone tried to jump (probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case). Someone is sick. Either way, the MTA is stopping to investigate and cover their asses.
I don't believe this is true. And would lead to much more suicides then there are.

It's literally what it says it is. Because of the old system I think they need to keep trains much farther apart than other systems and it's all manual.

I think suicides are "MTA investigation" or "police investigation"

Air conditioning in public transit is incredibly expensive and adds a lot of points of failure.

Are you serious? Are you really trying to justify no AC on hot and humid NYC summers where the heat Index is over 100 degrees? Just LOL.

Also, can they add some type of goddamn airflow on the platforms? It's even worst than inside the trains. Not asking for AC, but some kind of ventilation...

There's not really much point, it makes sense for longer distance trips but in many metros and I guess the inner part of Sydney's rail network the line capacity is limited by how quickly you can get people on and off trains. Double deck sort of goes against that, ours have 2 doors per carriage and the RER has 3 but many metros have 4 or 5. Plus the stairs limit movement and accessibility etc... there are a lot of disadvantages. It's something you'd choose if you wanted to prioritise the number of seats over everything else.

That's part of the reason why the new rail line being built is single deck:

sydney-metro-train-internal2.jpg

New York suburban commute trains have double deck versions. It's pretty pointless, you just make the maintanance cost go up.

Sylas

Are you serious? Are you really trying to justify no AC on hot and humid NYC summers where the heat Index is over 100 degrees? Just LOL.

Also, can they add some type of goddamn airflow on the platforms? It's even worst than inside the trains. Not asking for AC, but some kind of ventilation...

I'm lucky that I haven't dealt with many trains with a busted AC. Hell, some of them get downright cold in the middle of the summer.

I've been to a few stations with air ventilation in the station and... Eugh. It's just nasty-ass-NYC-underground-fart-air all the time.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Even though NYC subway has a lot of problems, it's arguably better than any other subway system in the US.

People hate on the MTA because it's crowded and filthy and super hot in the summer... but it can take you anywhere in a huge megalopolis and it runs 24 hours a day. It moves like six million people a day. The NYC subway system is one of the great achievements in infrastructure.

Limedust

No way man. The train stops and I hear "We are delayed because of train traffic ahead of us. We apologize for any inconvenience" at least 5 times a week. Usually it's less than 30 seconds, which implies that trains are running as tight as possible and some jackass at the next station held the doors or some shit.

"sick passenger" is their more serious announcement

Yep. Radio / train delay log code for a jumper is something like "712" so as not to alarm anyone who happens to be listening in. There are usually a couple of suicides a month for NYCT for the entire subway portion of the transit authority.

BkMogul

"Train traffic ahead," is one of the most mysterious phrases in the NYC lexicon.

What does it mean? What happened? Are we stuck here forever? Is this my new home?

I ride the A train every weekday and it's quite common. Annoying, but lucky it usually doesn't take long to clear up. It merges with the C train track going into some of the last few stops in Brooklyn and it always seems to pass by just when a C train is on the other side. "Signal problems" and "Mechanical failure ahead" always piss me off, but those are few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom