• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MULLET MADJACK | Out Now on Steam | It's a gas, gas, gas

YCoCg

logo_site.png

Surprised we never saw much hype for this game on here but it's now out on Steam and has been getting great reviews!
MULLET MAD JACK is a single-player superfast FPS where you are inside an OLD-SCHOOL BADASS ANIME from the 90’s.
Power-up your character until you reach the last floor. Make your best time or try again.
HASTE MAKES WASTE… OF YOUR ENEMIES!!!

Few reviews and previews...

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 88 average - 100% recommended

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Thought about making OT, but given how "many" people here was interested in the game when it was first shown and announced.... Oh well, it could've been great (since I've some shit to make it so), but it's okay, more time for something else :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:
I should probably sue over them using my likeness, but I’ll just mention this game to my Steam family til someone else adds it to the library.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll likely get this if it’s steam deck verified.

Hades 2 has been saving me at hotels for work, runs like a dream.

I’d ideally like to mess with this even at home on my pc though since it gives me the hotline Miami vibe.

Just got my eye of this. Looks really rad. Like a build engine version of Bulletstorm with crisp textures.

Hope it gets a console release at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Hmmmm Turbo Overkill also had me until it released. What a pile of garbage that was.

Is there a demo of this? Looks good! (But so did Turbo Overkill)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Picked this along with the new Read Only Memories which is getting massively overshadowed by Madjack (bad day to release an indie cyberpunk game, on the same day as an indie cyberpunk game) looking forward to giving it a wirl after work.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Hmmmm Turbo Overkill also had me until it released. What a pile of garbage that was.

Is there a demo of this? Looks good! (But so did Turbo Overkill)
Yup it's right on the store page as well. I haven't played this yet but I figured I'd buy it blindly based on look alone. Absolutely love the retro anime art style.

I'm not yet fully convinced about the gameplay. I've only done the first 2 levels, but it seems a bit too repetitive for my taste. Now, repetition is okay if the roguelite aspect makes the loop fun by pulling off synergies through the power-ups that are being offered, which so far don't seem really interesting at all.

near

Gold Member
Anyone willing to share their impressions so far?

Edit:

I'm not yet fully convinced about the gameplay. I've only done the first 2 levels, but it seems a bit too repetitive for my taste. Now, repetition is okay if the roguelite aspect makes the loop fun by pulling off synergies through the power-ups that are being offered, which so far don't seem really interesting at all.

Hows the core gameplay loop? Is it fun? In terms of upgrade tiers, does it enhance the overall experience mechanically each run?

Last edited:

YCoCg

Anyone willing to share their impressions so far?
I'm enjoying it, some of the enemies get a bit bullshity when you're near the end, there's a demo available though which has the first two floors which should give enough of an impression of the gameplay for you to decide.

near

Gold Member
I'm enjoying it, some of the enemies get a bit bullshity when you're near the end, there's a demo available though which has the first two floors which should give enough of an impression of the gameplay for you to decide.
I might try it. Looks fun in short bursts on a surface level. Just not a fan of the roguelite elements.

RhyDin

Played with a gamepad and the experience is awful due to lack of autoaim/lock-on. Mouse and keyboard or bust for this game, you won't even make it to the tenth stage with a gamepad.

Coconutt

Gold Member
Didn't try the demo yet but I did watch some videos. Think i'll go in blind. Also looking forward to Mouse, but that wont be released anytime soon...

Looks awesome wondering with Mickey Mouse no longer being copyright protected if he'll show up here.

thief183

How is it even possible to want to play a game like this with a controller?

Ok accessibility but if every game needs to be gimped or slowed down to make it feasible for a controller it means faster paced fps are going to die.

This is a m&k game deal with it... and it is a fking masterpiece.

Last edited:
Roguelike, procedurally generated levels... yeah no.

I feel the game would be better if they doubled down on the roguelite aspect, because as a pure shooter, there are much better indie boomer shooters available. The devs have distanced themselves from it being a roguelite, yet the game still features, as being advertised in the trailer and Steam page:
• Beat randomly-generated stages full of exciting new obstacles at each chapter!
• Cleverly build your character every FLOOR, in a fully-fledge NARRATIVE with ARCADE gameplay.

This is why I genuinely thought there would be roguelite synergies as they're also presented in typical 3 random card selection (as found in roguelites), but the power-ups don't really allow for 'clever' builds. Synergies or clever builds would actually make the repetitious gameplay loop a lot more varied and interesting.
If they're going to claim it's purely a shooter, it doesn't come close to scratching the same itch that Dusk, for example does, which I think is still the pinnacle of modern retro-style FPS.

I've refunded.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

John Bilbo

I can't get past the visual clutter. If there was a setting for simplified visuals I could get into this. For example I love Neon White for its gameplay.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I feel the game would be better if they doubled down on the roguelite aspect, because as a pure shooter, there are much better indie boomer shooters available. The devs have distanced themselves from it being a roguelite, yet the game still features, as being advertised in the trailer and Steam page:
• Beat randomly-generated stages full of exciting new obstacles at each chapter!
• Cleverly build your character every FLOOR, in a fully-fledge NARRATIVE with ARCADE gameplay.

This is why I genuinely thought there would be roguelite synergies as they're also presented in typical 3 random card selection (as found in roguelites), but the power-ups don't really allow for 'clever' builds. Synergies or clever builds would actually make the repetitious gameplay loop a lot more varied and interesting.
If they're going to claim it's purely a shooter, it doesn't come close to scratching the same itch that Dusk, for example does, which I think is still the pinnacle of modern retro-style FPS.

I've refunded.
good i still keep it because i like what they tried to do. But this is not a real fun game to play and i don't get the hype about it.

Play animal well instead also hyped a lot but at least that games gameplay backs it up a little

Housh

Felt like they are trying to eat Devolver's lunch. It was Hotline Miami meets Anger Foot.

Man.....they should've released Anger Foot and Skate Story years ago. What is up with those two titles?

• Thoughtful
Top Bottom