• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiplayer gamers! Is this one of the major issues of modern multiplayer?

Are short sightlines one of the main issues hurting modern multiplayer?

• Yes. I see your point OP and I generally agree with you.

• While I see your point, I'd classify it as a minor issue.

• No. sightlines and scale are not problems affecting multiplayer today.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Long story short...

A new game called Hawked recently had it's gameplay reveal. It's a big map, extraction shooter. The first thing I noticed about the gameplay was that the sightlines never seemed to be long distance. When an enemy team popped up, they were at most, 100m away and you could instantly start fighting them with a standard AR. Every engagement seemed to follow the following formula...

ss_71bfda4f2ad5593ff90d4c4be7e915d3303b52ab.1920x1080.jpg

1. We're alone trying to navigate the map in search of high value loot.
2. OMG, an enemy!
3. Shoot enemy immediately because they're .025 seconds from shooting us.

Why aren't more multiplayer games exploring these kind of PvP environments? Picture spotting an enemy up on the following ridge...

This would allow for significantly more variables in PvP interactions, thus reducing repetitiveness. You could communicate with your opponent via radio. You could plan a strategy with your teammates. You could avoid the enemy altogether etc...
Is this one of the main issues todays multiplayer suffers from?

Holammer

You think you want large realistic environments, but you don't.
MilSim guys would dig it, but it wouldn't be the the fast paced shooter the general audience expects.

So I looked at Hawked... Eww! Fortnite poisons everything.

Sleepwalker

Because the current audience has the attention span of a goldfish on meth. You see some games doing this like hell let loose or even battlefield, but theyre not the most popular at the moment.

You need constant engagement to provide the highs, clips for streamers an what not.

I do enjoy larger scale maps with that said.

Long story short...

A new game called Hawked recently had it's gameplay reveal. It's a big map, extraction shooter. The first thing I noticed about the gameplay was that the sightlines never seemed to be long distance. When an enemy team popped up, they were at most, 100m away and you could instantly start fighting them with a standard AR. Every engagement seemed to follow the following formula...

ss_71bfda4f2ad5593ff90d4c4be7e915d3303b52ab.1920x1080.jpg

1. We're alone trying to navigate the map in search of high value loot.
2. OMG, an enemy!
3. Shoot enemy immediately because they're .025 seconds from shooting us.

Why aren't more multiplayer games exploring these kind of PvP environments? Picture spotting an enemy up on the following ridge...

This would allow for significantly more variables in PvP interactions, thus reducing repetitiveness. You could communicate with your opponent via radio. You could plan a strategy with your teammates. You could avoid the enemy altogether etc...
Is this one of the main issues todays multiplayer suffers from?

Warzone, at least the old Verdansk map, had some pretty huge slightlines - lots of long range encounters when I was playing a couple years ago.

You might want to look into the old Delta Force games, I don't know why these popped into my head but I remember them having really big maps due to the voxel rendering.

If this is what you're looking for the best possible multiplayer shooters for you are Hell Let Loose and any of the games from the WW1 game series which are Verdun, Tannenburg or (The newest and smoothest one) Isonzo.

Especially in Hell Let Loose you're seeing enemies on a regular basis well over 100m in the majority of engagements.
That on top of having 1 to 1 historical maps based on satellite imagery makes it the best multiplayer shooter I've ever played.

And yea, yea I've played Squad and Post Scriptum but Hell Let Loose is above both of those to me especially in atmosphere, graphics and immersion. The only are where it falls short to those other games is sound design and that doesn't mean it's terrible by any means, it's simply not on par with them.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Because the current audience has the attention span of a goldfish on meth. You see some games doing this like hell let loose or even battlefield, but theyre not the most popular at the moment.

You need constant engagement to provide the highs, clips for streamers an what not.

I do enjoy larger scale maps with that said.

I don't think that's accurate. Arena shooters (high action percentage) have all but died out and Battle Royales, Extraction, and Survival (low action percentage) are the most popular multiplayer genres today. I think gamers growing more and more sophisticated every year.

Last edited:
Modern multiplayer feels like developers throw shit until it sticks. It’s also usually full to the brim with Microtransactions and FOMO features such as battle passes and absolutely horrendous UI.

What you’ve said isn’t really the issue I have with modern multiplayer at all.

Top Bottom