• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Industry-Leading professionals criticizing Activision Blizzard

I said it regarding Jim Ryan and I'll say it here. Phil better hope all the people in his little piece of Microsoft don't have a history because he just indicated to the world that they're all squeaky clean.

It's like whack-a-mole. Pop your head out and pop it back in the hole before you get the hammer. The moles that pop out and start waving their arms for attention are going to get the hammer.

Spence will do anything to be just like Jimbo.
KiANMbL.jpg

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Seriously why does everyone have to do a statement about this?

It doesn't mean you support it if you just shut the fuck up about it.

Of course is everyone seeing this as a bad act, but why do everyone have to say this, like a group of students ratting out about who done what and do whatever to save their own skin.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Of course is everyone seeing this as a bad act, but why do everyone have to say this, like a group of students ratting out about who done what and do whatever to save their own skin.
It's an email to employees; Activision employees staged a walkout.. all over the place are their friends, or ex-employees, including at Xbox, and Playstation.

So their leader sends an email out to those employees. That's really about it.

People don't want to work places where the CEO stops someone from being fired after an investigation into a harassment claim came back with "fire this guy." These companies need to retain talent.. so they do things to retain that talent, like assure them they won't act like that d-bag Kotick.

The real question is why do you and everyone else care?

Last edited:

Excess

>statements from lawyer's email alleged
>alleged
>no charges were made by police upon report
>no charges

Sure is kangaroo court in here.

Kotick has to go.
I said it regarding Jim Ryan and I'll say it here. Phil better hope all the people in his little piece of Microsoft don't have a history because he just indicated to the world that they're all squeaky clean.

It's like whack-a-mole. Pop your head out and pop it back in the hole before you get the hammer. The moles that pop out and start waving their arms for attention are going to get the hammer.

Nothing to worry about. Anybody who is found to have done something wrong is ousted. That's how it works. It's no reason at all to not call this stuff out.

WitchHunter

Banned
This guy is a rockstar. Someone give him a role in a movie. With John Cena, they would break boxoffice in a matter of days.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Activision hasn't produced a decent game in years and has been involved in way too many flops and badly received announcememts, plus it's basically just a Call of Duty factory now so it's okay to rip it a new one.

And it's fine, I'm all in for tearing them down but where the hell was this kind of hate bandwagon when Ubisoft was being accused of the same things?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Activision hasn't produced a decent game in years and has been involved in way too many flops and badly received announcememts, plus it's basically just a Call of Duty factory now so it's okay to rip it a new one.
They made Crash 4 and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1+2 Remake. Those are great.
It's the tricky part isn't it, because no matter how hard the upper regime sucks (and in case of Activision they suck hard), the companies goal remains to create products that the public wants. Meanwhile you are sitting here and asking yourself "should I support them? I want to support the devs who made great games, but that also means I support the shitty people over there and the upper regime and I don't want or enable them ".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They made Crash 4 and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1+2 Remake. Those are great.
It's the tricky part isn't it, because no matter how hard the upper regime sucks (and in case of Activision they suck hard), the companies goal remains to create products that the public wants. Meanwhile you are sitting here and asking yourself "should I support them? I want to support the devs who made great games, but that also means I support the shitty people over there and the upper regime and I don't want or enable them ".
Yup.

If some people want to criticize the people at fault, go ahead. But like every company, 99% of the employees are probably good people. And it's not like only execs can be assheads. Anyone can be. If the company's R&D team makes good products and the rest of departments get it on shelves, why grill all of them?

I bet the same people who say fire Kotick and boycott Activision are the same people who probably own high priced branded clothes and tech gear. The kind of shit made by people in Asia or India for rock bottom wages and lousy working conditions.

But as long as it's out of public scrutiny (slave labour articles come and go over the decades), it's no problem to wear $200 Nikes made by some poor person making $1.50/hr. Probably dont even make that much.

Concern

Oh no, the outrage.

I don't even care to read the whole scandal. Just find it hilarious all these idiots are "criticizing" but we all know nobody is going to do a damn thing. You guys really upset? Pull cod from both networks..... ahhhh you won't.

Then we have people somehow console warring in here too.... just lol

AmuroChan

Talk is cheap. If they actually want to force tangible changes, these publishers need to pull all Activision games from their online storefronts.

Talk is cheap. If they actually want to force tangible changes, these publishers need to pull all Activision games from their online storefronts.
If they can legally do that, I think Kotick would be force out. How long would that take, 1 to 2 weeks.

I think neither one will do it unless they both agree to do it at the same time in a joint statement.

otherwise one will probably feel punished next time a COD releases.

sn0man

Evaluating what? Neither Sony or Microsoft would do more than talk here. Call of Duty and Activision are too valuable to PlayStation and Xbox that they'd ever dare cut ties no matter what the CEO or company did.
Maybe a buyout. I agree that the talk may be empty but if it’s as bad inside activision as the rumors suggest maybe MS and/or Sony forces a sale through / with shareholders.

Tripolygon

Banned
And let the law handle what happened, not social media or random company bosses. If you think an obvious statement like this means defending criminals, the issue lies with you.
The thing is you're not saying anything useful at all. When have people never had a say in what is going on in their society? The law is put in place by people, interpreted by people, carried out by people. While we appointment certain people and government bodies to that role we also have a social contract with one another and hold each other accountable for our actions. De facto and de jure are not mutually exclusive concepts, you can legally and socially be held accountable for your actions as a matter of fact.

Last edited:
All talk but I would personally love to see MS and Sony cease selling Activision/Blizzard games on thier digital storefront. That would be an absolute bombshell to Bobby.

And let the law handle what happened, not social media or random company bosses. If you think an obvious statement like this means defending criminals, the issue lies with you.
The same law that lets people like Bobby kotick off the hook all the time? Yeah no thanks.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
All talk but I would personally love to see MS and Sony cease selling Activision/Blizzard games on thier digital storefront. That would be an absolute bombshell to Bobby.

Sony, MS and Valve need to reach an agreement regarding how to treat Activision games going forward with Bobby in charge. That's the only way to get Bobby to fuck off. None of the three will act unilaterally but having all three could see Bobby gone.

DragonNCM

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has joined the chorus of industry professionals criticizing Activision Blizzard, telling staff in an email obtained by Bloomberg that Xbox is "evaluating all aspects of our relationship" with the embattled publisher.

With Xbox and PlayStation both now sending out forceful internal statements about Activision Blizzard, pressure is growing on the board to remove embattled CEO Bobby Kotick. Spencer said he and his executive team are "disturbed and deeply troubled by the horrific events and actions” at Activision Blizzard following this week's revelations that Bobby Kotick knew for years about sexual harassment and was himself a perpetrator of misconduct.

I gues COD Vanguard on gamepass is out of picture.......now:messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

smbu2000

Oh wow. Source on this?
I'm guessing they are talking about this from earlier this year:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/16/tech/bill-gates-allegations/index.html

Bill Gates's 2020 resignation from Microsoft's board of directors came after the board hired a law firm to investigate a romantic relationship he had with a Microsoft employee, according to new reporting from the Wall Street Journal.
Citing "people familiar with the matter," the Journal reported Sunday that a Microsoft engineer had "alleged in a letter that she had a sexual relationship over years with Mr. Gates."
"During the probe, some board members decided it was no longer suitable for Mr. Gates to sit as a director at the software company he started and led for decades," the Journal reported. "Mr. Gates resigned before the board's investigation was completed."

I mean, that's probably exactly what it is. We don't know for certain if anyone at Microsoft knew about Activision's inner workings before it got publicly leaked out, but considering how fast employees move between companies, I'd find it hard to believe they didn't at least hear an insider rumor. Companies are coming out with these statements now to appear to be reacting to something they just learned, before anyone can accuse them of "knowing beforehand and doing nothing about it".

hyperbertha

Only a naive idiot would assume this has anything to do with ethics. There is business, and only business involved. Probably figured Kotick isn't aligned enough with their direction.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'm guessing they are talking about this from earlier this year:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/16/tech/bill-gates-allegations/index.html

Bill Gates's 2020 resignation from Microsoft's board of directors came after the board hired a law firm to investigate a romantic relationship he had with a Microsoft employee, according to new reporting from the Wall Street Journal.
Citing "people familiar with the matter," the Journal reported Sunday that a Microsoft engineer had "alleged in a letter that she had a sexual relationship over years with Mr. Gates."
"During the probe, some board members decided it was no longer suitable for Mr. Gates to sit as a director at the software company he started and led for decades," the Journal reported. "Mr. Gates resigned before the board's investigation was completed."
Oh, I was thinking it was when he stepped down as CEO in 2000 and cocaine enthusiast Ballmer took over.

Top Bottom