• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Reports of AMD Ryzen 7800X3D CPU V-Cache burning itself and the motherboard🔥

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This is what warranties are for.

But 1 dubious report and 1 failed overclock?

Yea nah not worried about my 7800x3d at all.
This Is Fine GIF

GHG

looks like Steve managed to end the life of an 7800x3d, video will be interesting.

Yeh just saw it on my feed. Curious to see what the exact cause is but it seems like Asus are almost definitely involved.

Last edited:

baphomet

People need to stop downplaying. And already acknowledged there is an issue

Acknowledged what? That running too much power into something will fuck it up? No shit, you can screw up literally any CPU and motherboard by running well above the rated power directly into it.

The amount of idiots not knowing how to plug their 4090's in was orders of magnitude more than this.

Fuck I just bought a 7000 and a 590e mobo. Should I not use it? Or not use the bios?

So you bought a CPU and a motherboard that aren't compatible with each other?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was just about to return to AMD for the first time since Athlon 64.
Nope, AM5 looks like a mess at the moment. This exploding issue, people complaining about Ethernet issues with the 2.5g Intel Ethernet included, people complaining about coil whine from the asus x670e boards, long post times, and more…
I’ll just keep what I have for now and I guess wait for pcie 5.0 drives from either WD or Samsung before I do a platform upgrade.

rnlval

I was just about to return to AMD for the first time since Athlon 64.
Nope, AM5 looks like a mess at the moment. This exploding issue, people complaining about Ethernet issues with the 2.5g Intel Ethernet included, people complaining about coil whine from the asus x670e boards, long post times, and more…
I’ll just keep what I have for now and I guess wait for pcie 5.0 drives from either WD or Samsung before I do a platform upgrade.
My ROG X670E Hero's Intel 2.5G is fine. My network's QNAP switch has a 10G backbone and QNAP NAS has Realtek 2.5G.

No coil whine for my TUF X670E Plus Wifi (Realtek 2.5G NIC) and ROG X670E Hero (Intel 2.5G NIC) motherboards.

Last edited:
My 7950x3D is very likely affected by this to some degree. I left it on EXPO II for a month with an Asus B650E-F and it's been acting up ever since. Nice. Glad I spent like $1400 on this setup.

StereoVsn

Legit thinking about returning Asus x670e board and 7800x3D, and going Intel despite much higher power draws. I just don't want to deal with this shit.

As pointed out, Asus bios is beta and voids your warranty as just one example. 🤦‍♂️🤡

Nvzman

Buying AMD to save a few bucks. It gets ya every time.
The crazy part is AMD isn't even a value option anymore. Their pricing is insane at MSRP for the past two years, they are basically trying to Nvidia the CPU space, except unlike Nvidia their new products are mediocre at best and their competitor is refusing to budge on pricing, so Intel ends up being significantly better value. AM5 sold like total shit at launch and it got significant price cuts to remain remotely competitive.
Honestly right now with 12th and 13th gen Intel is killing it, there's kind of no reason to buy AMD aside from maybe the 7800x3D, and even then apparently it looks like those chips are extremely shit bins.

simpatico

The crazy part is AMD isn't even a value option anymore. Their pricing is insane at MSRP for the past two years, they are basically trying to Nvidia the CPU space, except unlike Nvidia their new products are mediocre at best and their competitor is refusing to budge on pricing, so Intel ends up being significantly better value. AM5 sold like total shit at launch and it got significant price cuts to remain remotely competitive.
Honestly right now with 12th and 13th gen Intel is killing it, there's kind of no reason to buy AMD aside from maybe the 7800x3D, and even then apparently it looks like those chips are extremely shit bins.
It's a sad thing this is what they're choosing to do with their newfound improving reputation. Textbook example of shooting oneself in the foot.

Chiggs

Gold Member
3D cache chips seem to be a lot more sensitive to voltage variations.

Totally. It's just that after the Nvidia PSU adapter thing, I'm not falling for the hype. Even GamersNexus listed this on their YouTube video:

As stated in the video, no test of this type is fully conclusive: These are complex issues with functionally infinite variables between users (and possible error), manufacturers, BIOS versions, and AMD itself. As such, we can only speak to our findings in some instances -- but we have some that do point to specific issues.

Also from Steve himself @ 34 minutes and 25 seconds.

"It's really hard to replicate this problem."

Zzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Just to be safe I'm picking a MSI mobo. A B650 MSI MAG Tomahawk Wi-Fi. Am I going to be safe, GAF?

Yes.

I really think people need to watch the conclusion of that Gamers Nexus video. Here's LITERALLY what Steve says (in giant font):

"It's really hard to replicate this problem. It took us the entire time to get the catastrophic failure to happen, so that should reduce your concerns significantly. We had to actively try to find out how to make this happen."

Last edited:

rnlval

Legit thinking about returning Asus x670e board and 7800x3D, and going Intel despite much higher power draws. I just don't want to deal with this shit.

As pointed out, Asus bios is beta and voids your warranty as just one example. 🤦‍♂️🤡
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/XMP-Warranty-void/m-p/1196241
From Maria_R_Intel, Moderator

Yes, Intel* XMP is considering overclocking, altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

You can check this information in our warranty terms and conditions
"any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel’s publicly available specifications, including where clock frequencies or voltages have been altered, or where the original identification markings have been removed, altered or obliterated. Intel assumes no responsibility that the Product, including if used with altered clock frequencies or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose and will not cause any damage or injury. "

StereoVsn

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/XMP-Warranty-void/m-p/1196241
From Maria_R_Intel, Moderator

Yes, Intel* XMP is considering overclocking, altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

You can check this information in our warranty terms and conditions
"any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel’s publicly available specifications, including where clock frequencies or voltages have been altered, or where the original identification markings have been removed, altered or obliterated. Intel assumes no responsibility that the Product, including if used with altered clock frequencies or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose and will not cause any damage or injury. "
That's great and all, but I have yet to see reports of Intel XMP frying CPUs. Or at least at scale.

Chiggs

Gold Member
https://au.pcmag.com/motherboards/9...lled-this-z690-motherboard-over-a-burn-hazard

Asus alerted consumers about a burn hazard with the ROG Maximus Z690 Hero in December, but now the US Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued an official recall order.

And, of course, if that was AMD, Leonidas Leonidas would have made a megathread about it.

Maybe you should state your point vs posting random images. There multiple reports all over the place about issues with AMD AM5 platform right now.

Just like with that Nvidia adapter, right? Watch out world: people on the internet are saying things!

Last edited:

rnlval

Maybe you should state your point vs posting random images. There multiple reports all over the place about issues with AMD AM5 platform right now.

My 821 BIOS version is before Ryzen Zen 4 3D era.

I have the same motherboard as you and running a 7800X3D. Previously was running bios version 1405 with zero problems, but updated to 1409 out of caution and holy shit this bios is awful. EXPO 1 profile isn’t stable anymore (constant memory management BSOD), SOC voltage is now defaulting to 1.40 volts (I can’t remember what it was before but this seems much higher/unsafe), takes over a minute for the computer to boot/restart. Also, I was running -35 all core offset using curve optimizer, I can’t even enable PBO or CO now without immediate BSOD when booting into windows. No idea how Asus could fuck this up so bad.

---
Zen 4 X3D CPUs require newer BIOS for their operation and some X3D BIOS releases have SOC voltages set too high.

From https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/amd-6...ge-images-901992=69731i851B97444452BC1E#M1006

Skgoi86.png

ASUS Strix X670E with 0088 BIOS has "CPU VDDCR_SOC" at 1.350V while my "CPU VDDCR_SOC" ASUS TUF X670E BIOS 0821 is at 1.240V.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

And, of course, if that was AMD, Leonidas Leonidas would have made a megathread about it.

Just like with that Nvidia adapter, right? Watch out world: people on the internet are saying things!
AMD and Asus are issuing BIOS updates to prevent the burn outs. GamersNexus verified the issue. There are many reports of problems actively happening. It's your choice to ignore that but most reasonable folks wouldn't.

And on 4090 adapters, it's a shit design coupled with substandard adapters. Different animal altogether.

marquimvfs

Wow! I've entered here assuming that the problem was probably some overclocker fuckery, but, no. Resuming for the folks who aren't able to watch a video with almost an hour, here's the catch:

-3D chips are very fragile, at least, more than the non 3D. They're the ones being affected by the problem.

-Some board vendors (specially ASUS) fucked up on protection and voltage settings, what leaded to some of most spectacular failures we are able to see in tha hardware scene (explosions are always a show, i like them).

-AMD is also to blame, because some (or most, if not all) of the motherboard manufacturers fuckery could be prevented if they were more active in quality control, or, at least, in providing directives for platform manufacturing.

The good news is that this is a very uncommon problem, looks like it won't be a widespread failure, and there is a way to prevent it, and, also, if you can't implement the measures to mitigate the failure (bios updates), you could also monitor the functioning of your system and see if you are being affected by the problem. And, AMD is replacing the fried CPUs for free (even paying the shipping) even if you were using EXPO.

Point for you, Leonidas Leonidas

Edit: Engrish

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
AMD and Asus are issuing BIOS updates to prevent the burn outs. GamersNexus verified the issue. There are many reports of problems actively happening. It's your choice to ignore that but most reasonable folks wouldn't.

And on 4090 adapters, it's a shit design coupled with substandard adapters. Different animal altogether.

Oh, you referenced Steve from Gamers Nexus? How convenient for me since I quoted him earlier...and from the very video you're referencing. Enjoy:

"It's really hard to replicate this problem. It took us the entire time to get the catastrophic failure to happen, so that should reduce your concerns significantly. We had to actively try to find out how to make this happen."

And for anyone else needing grief crisis counseling:

Last edited:

rnlval

Wow! I've entered here assuming that the problem was probably some overclocker fuckery, but, no. Resuming for the folks who aren't able to watch a video with almost an hour, here's the catch:

-3D chips are very fragile, at least, more than the non 3D. They're the ones being affected by the problem.

-Some board vendors (specially ASUS) fucked up on protection and voltage settings, what leaded to some of most spectacular failures we are able to see in tha hardware scene (explosions are always a show, i like them).

-AMD is also to blame, because some (or most, if not all) of the motherboard manufacturers fuckery could be prevented if they were more active in quality control, or, at least, in providing directives for platform manufacturing.

The good news is that this is a very uncommon problem, looks like it won't be a widespread failure, and there is a way to prevent it, and, also, if you can't implement the measures to mitigate the failure (bios updates), you could also monitor the functioning of your system and see if you are being affected by the problem. And, AMD is replacing the fried CPUs for free (even paying the shipping) even if you were using EXPO.

Point for you, Leonidas Leonidas

Edit: Engrish
ASUS has progressively increased SoC voltages during the X3D era and there's an overshoot problem i.e. set to 1.35V and it overshoots towards 1.41V. Setting 1.24V with an overshoot problem would remain in the 1.28V and low 1.3xV range. If I have Ryzen X3D chips, the SoC voltage must be low and must factor in the overshoot problem.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

ASUS has progressively increased SoC voltages during the X3D era and there's an overshoot problem i.e. set to 1.35V and it overshoots towards 1.41V. Setting 1.24V with an overshoot problem would remain in the 1.28V and low 1.3xV range.
Yes, but, setting automatically to 1.35V is itself a problem, especially with X3D chips... that's one of the mistakes that AMD itself could actively prevent.

Last edited:

rnlval

Yes, but, setting automatically to 1.35V is itself a problem, especially with X3D chips... that's one of the mistakes that AMD itself could actively prevent.
This is mostly an ASUS problem. AMD's CPU replacement program is the "get out of jail card" for ASUS's mistakes.

marquimvfs

This is mostly an ASUS problem. AMD's CPU replacement program is the "get out of jail card" for ASUS's mistakes.
Now we can only hope that they refuse to replace one of the faulty boards an end up with a pretty big lawsuit up their asses.

Top Bottom