• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Reports of AMD Ryzen 7800X3D CPU V-Cache burning itself and the motherboard🔥

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have the 7700X but I have a -30 undervolt going. Drastically lowered the temps and power draw. I have an ASUS Prime mobo. Hopefully the undervolt will prevent any issues.

I still have some minor stability issues from time to time. I hate updating the BIOS since it seems to take a year to get back into WIndows.

Anyway, I will update my BIOS once the newest version leaves BETA.

Reallink

The crazy part is AMD isn't even a value option anymore. Their pricing is insane at MSRP for the past two years, they are basically trying to Nvidia the CPU space, except unlike Nvidia their new products are mediocre at best and their competitor is refusing to budge on pricing, so Intel ends up being significantly better value. AM5 sold like total shit at launch and it got significant price cuts to remain remotely competitive.
Honestly right now with 12th and 13th gen Intel is killing it, there's kind of no reason to buy AMD aside from maybe the 7800x3D, and even then apparently it looks like those chips are extremely shit bins.

They are now. They been frequently fireselling the regular 7000s at unbeatable prices for the past 2 or 3 months. Microcenter just had a 7700X, B650, and 32GB 6000 bundle for $360 with a free Jedi Survivor. That's the cheapest a 95 percentile PC has ever been in history by a factor or 2 or 3. They're as close to giving them away as possible.

Last edited:

Nvzman

They are now. They been frequently fireselling the regular 7000s at unbeatable prices for the past 2 or 3 months. Microcenter just had a 7700X, B650, and 32GB 6000 bundle for $360 with a free Jedi Survivor. That's the cheapest a 95 percentile PC has ever been in history by a factor or 2 or 3. They're as close to giving them away as possible.
I just checked, its actually $450, which is competitive but even then for $100 cheaper you can get a 12700k with a Z-series motherboard (however DDR4), or for $100 more than the AMD deal you can get a significantly stronger i7-13700k processor with DDR5 and a Z-series board which I'd argue is about the same in value. Its definitely more competitive now than it was before but thats more because of pure desperation because of how poorly AM5 was selling.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

I just checked, its actually $450, which is competitive but even then for $100 cheaper you can get a 12700k with a Z-series motherboard (however DDR4), or for $100 more than the AMD deal you can get a significantly stronger i7-13700k processor with DDR5 and a Z-series board which I'd argue is about the same in value. Its definitely more competitive now than it was before but thats more because of pure desperation because of how poorly AM5 was selling
It will start to sell better now, given the A620 motherboards are arriving. Total platform cost is very expensive both ways on the newer generations. But, with AMD you have the advantage of efficiency, being able to properly cool the damn processor, and you're not stuck to the shitty hybrid cores design, not to mention that you're not buying a dead platform with a socket that will be discontinued in the next months...

Last edited:

Reallink

I just checked, its actually $450, which is competitive but even then for $100 cheaper you can get a 12700k with a Z-series motherboard (however DDR4), or for $100 more than the AMD deal you can get a significantly stronger i7-13700k processor with DDR5 and a Z-series board which I'd argue is about the same in value. Its definitely more competitive now than it was before but thats more because of pure desperation because of how poorly AM5 was selling.

It was $368 a couple days ago, and the Intel bundles are a direct response to AMDs. I only started seeing Intel bundles popping up a week or 2 ago. The 13700K only holds a real advantage in certain all core productivity workloads, there's no meaningful benefit in gaming, and probably a slight disadvatage to Intel where a 1 click Ryzen Master PBO calibration should see most 7700X running all core around 5.4Ghz and single core around 5.7Ghz on a $50 air cooler. Not worth the $100 premium for 95% of users, and not worth a $200 premium to anyone.

Last edited:

rnlval

It was $368 a couple days ago, and the Intel bundles are a direct response to AMDs. I only started seeing Intel bundles popping up a week or 2 ago. The 13700K only holds a real advantage in certain all core productivity workloads, there's no meaningful benefit in gaming, and probably a slight disadvatage to Intel where a 1 click Ryzen Master PBO calibration should see most 7700X running all core around 5.4Ghz and single core around 5.7Ghz on a $50 air cooler. Not worth the $100 premium for 95% of users, and not worth a $200 premium to anyone.
Jedi Survivor RT shows the benefits of a higher thread count Ryzen 9 Zen 4s and Core i9s Raptor Lakes.

Ryzen 7 7800X3D couldn't solve Jedi Survivor RT's distributive many cores programming model.

Last edited:

Nvzman

It will start to sell better now, given the A620 motherboards are arriving. Total platform cost is very expensive both ways on the newer generations. But, with AMD you have the advantage of efficiency, being able to properly cool the damn processor, and you're not stuck to the shitty hybrid cores design, not to mention that you're not buying a dead platform with a socket that will be discontinued in the next months...
Efficiency is true, AMD is still superior there. However I really wouldn't dog much on the e-core/p-core design, one thing that *a lot* of review channels seem to overlook is how good they are for multitasking due to them allocating resources much more practically. For example, if you stream a lot (or you like using discord chats and stream games on them), the scheduler will have the p-cores prioritized specifically for the game while the streaming/background processes un-park the e-cores and they become utilized for those tasks. So theoretically it would improve performance vs normal cores basically sharing tasks on a per-thread basis. Raptor lake proved that just by upping the cache on the e-cores they can be super practical. Also I really wouldn't use the "dead socket" argument, as if you are upgrading to AM5 (which imo I'd hope you went x3D or 8 core) I highly doubt you'd be upgrading AGAIN within the next few years, as AMD will probably move onto AM6 much sooner than they did with AM4 --> AM5. They originally explicitly stated that they planned on AM5 lasting 5 years and then retracted that statement, so it could end up lasting even shorter.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

I really wouldn't dog much on the e-core/p-core design, one thing that *a lot* of review channels seem to overlook is how good they are for multitasking due to them allocating resources much more practically. For example, if you stream a lot (or you like using discord chats and stream games on them), the scheduler will have the p-cores prioritized specifically for the game while the streaming/background processes un-park the e-cores and they become utilized for those tasks. So theoretically it would improve performance vs normal cores basically sharing tasks on a per-thread basis. Raptor lake proved that just by upping the cache on the e-cores they can be super practical.
"E-Cores" are just a workaround for their inability to put just normal "P-Cores" on the processor, given the very very poor efficiency. Want more cores to multitask better? Just do yourself a favor and buy a Ryzen 9 with lots of them, and all equal, even your background tasks will perform accordingly, and with zero compatibility issues (even if those are being properly handled).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
"E-Cores" are just a workaround for their inability to put just normal "P-Cores" on the processor, given the very very poor efficiency. Want more cores to multitask better? Just do yourself a favor and buy a Ryzen 9 with lots of them, and all equal, even your background tasks will perform accordingly, and with zero compatibility issues (even if those are being properly handled).

How do the Intel cpus perform so well? Beating out the 7950x in a lot of applications?

rnlval

How do the Intel cpus perform so well? Beating out the 7950x in a lot of applications?
Not with Blender 3D 3.4 while Cinebench R23 doesn't use AVX-512.

Adobe 2D photo apps are narrow-threaded.

Intel E-Core implements triple pipeline 128-bit AVX hardware with 256-bit AVX-2 instructions being "double pumped." Intel E-Core's three 128-bit SIMD FP pipelines are similar to Zen 1's quad 128-bit FP pipelines.

Think of Intel Core i9 13900K as higher clocked 8 Zen 4 "fat" cores with non-SMT 16 Zen 1 cores.

Last edited:

rnlval

Now we can only hope that they refuse to replace one of the faulty boards an end up with a pretty big lawsuit up their asses.
Using beta BIOS 1414 with 1.3V SoC cap for ASUS TUF X670E Plus Wifi motherboard.

F8paB6O.png

From BIOS 825 to BIOS 1414
SoC voltage increased from 1.240 to 1.285V
VDD voltage reduced from 1.451 to 1.38V

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Good thing the "eagle eyes" in this thread don't turn their piercing gazes toward the airline, auto, and pharmaceutical industries, or even more egregious computer industry examples, like this, and this, featuring Intel or Intel-related technologies (hallowed be thy name). Burning personal smartwatch, anyone?

God only know how these Leonidas-led chicken littles would react when, for the first time in their existence, they were forced to confront the stark reality of, well, reality.

Personally, I wonder how I will even sleep in my house tonight, knowing full well that a :messenger_fire:fiery AM5 monster🔥 resides in my office, and given a series of completely improbable actions, followed by a potentially large amount of user error, I, too, might become a victim.

Someone please hold me. :rolleyes:

Celcius

°Temp. member

Another note from GN:
"Our 'Scumbag ASUS' video is up -- not relating to the Ally. We want to note also that ASUS emailed us last week after Part 1 of exploding CPUs - an unprompted email - and asked if they could fly out to our office this week to meet with us about the issues and speak "openly." We told them we'd be down for it but that we'd have to record the conversation. They did say they wanted to speak openly, after all. They haven't replied to us for 5 days. So... ASUS had a chance to correct this. We were holding the video to afford that opportunity. But as soon as we said "sure, but we're filming it because we want a record of what's promised," we get silence. Wanting to comment on something and provide a statement is not only fine, but encouraged; we're always happy to provide that opportunity. See: Newegg interview with the executives. However, we're not going to let it be done without accountability and in the shadows. They could have done this the right way."

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Man is there any motherboard manufacturer that doesn’t suck? Who do you trust most out of ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock?
I think instead of looking at it in terms of this company vs that company, you have to look at it in terms of which company per platform is doing a competent job.
On AM5 Asus has been dropping the ball big time. Asus z690 Hero boards had that backwards capacitor issue. I'd feel comfortable buying an Asus Z790 board though.
If I were going to invest in the AM5 platform right now then I'd give Gigabyte a try myself. I've been hearing positive reports about their AM5 boards.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Man is there any motherboard manufacturer that doesn’t suck? Who do you trust most out of ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock?

In recent years, MSi has probably been the best.
Asus still has a lot of brand awareness, from the time when their products were actually great. But they have gotten worst in recent times.
Asrock is a bit of a hit or miss. Sometimes they make great boards, sometimes absolute trash.
I currently have a Gigabyte board, and it's running very well. But I've heard some people complaining about some of them. So it's also a bit of a hit or miss.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So Asus shits the bed again...and to think, I've recommended them, despite their overpricing.

They can fuck off for a few years. Between this and their Intel screw up...

I currently have a Gigabyte board, and it's running very well. But I've heard some people complaining about some of them. So it's also a bit of a hit or miss.

Gigabyte x570 series has been pretty rough bios-wise. Hardware-wise, I'll single out the Master, which has three hardware revisions. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

DanEON

I found out today that the issue is with all 7000 CPUs and not only the 7800X3D. I have the 7600 and Asus TUF X670E and I am still using the bios that I updated when I built the PC, version 0821. The voltages are fine, SoC is 1.24v. My system is 100% fine, zero issues since day 1.
Should I update my bios? Better wait for the non beta version, right? Or wait even more, like some months, until they really get this sorted out.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Some TL;DR on Asus's issues in recent years:

*z690 hero boards with backwards capacitor catching fire and Asus trying to keep quiet about it until having to do the recall.
*Asus putting voltages too high on the AM5 boards, then pulling all old bioses off their own website and putting up beta bioses, but saying if you use the beta bios to avoid exploding CPUs then it voids your warranty.
*Asus sending Jay and customers RMA'd motherboards with bent cpu pens or other weird defects out of the box as new products.
*Asus having a snobby attitude when you try to deal with their customer service or reps. Also, Asus customer service being slow/crap in general.
*Asus trying to give Reddit users free products if they don't send their exploding cpus and motherboards to Steve for analysis.
*Asus contacting Gamers Nexus to meet and discuss the issues, but when Steve asks to record the conversation they stop responding.
*Asus slow to add Rebar support to their z490 mobos a few years ago and not adding it for z390 mobos when other companies were.
*Jay and customers experiencing weird stability issues with Asus motherboards (like audio randomly stop working or usb issues or blue screens), then switching to another brand out of frustration (like AsRock) and then having a flawless experience.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The 13700KF variant is cheaper, and the only difference is no on board video, which no serious gamer would ever dream of using. It also runs fine on a $50 air cooler. Intels run hotter but they're designed to, they don't throttle or lose performance until temps get close to 100 C.

That's the route I went and I'm happy with it. AMD has some great chips but I don't feel like the AM5 platform is mature yet and a lot of motherboards are having issues.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So it's the ASUS motherboards that are faulty and not the 7800X3D?

That's what it's looking like, despite Leonidas' hopes and dreams.

Also, Asus hosed an Intel mobo last year so bad that they recalled it. Wondering if Leonidas made an anti-Intel thread for that....hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

The whole issue has been overblown; not because people are trying to hold companies accountable, but because there's a rush to judgment before any of the facts are in. Even for all the hoopla Gamers Nexus made about this, here are Steve's own words:

"It's really hard to replicate this problem. It took us the entire time to get the catastrophic failure to happen, so that should reduce your concerns significantly. We had to actively try to find out how to make this happen."

:messenger_confused:

Last edited:

FingerBang

I have to say, I LOVE having the same configuration they've used (MoBo and RAM) to blow these CPUs. I spent a stupid amount of money on the Crosshair Hero and got the best RAM I could find (Gskill 6000 CL30), and I'm at risk of melting my CPU 😂

The scummiest thing is ASUS publishing the new firmwares as "BETA" so that, if something goes wrong, say goodbye to your warranty!

So it's the ASUS motherboards that are faulty and not the 7800X3D?
The fault was never the chip but the miscommunication between AMD and the MoBo manufacturers. There is nothing wrong with the CPU per see. And also, looking at the crazy numbers and the Gamer's Nexus investigation, it's not a widespread issue.

b0uncyfr0

So Asrock is better than Asus atm - wow.

Im still waiting though : no fucking way im spending 300 euros on a board that has the slightest chance of killing my CPU. Hopefully by the time everything is sorted out, prices have calmed down too.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Jay's had enough

That's a good start, hopefully more channels will follow.

There's one thing though that botters me after seeing all these ASUS / 7800X3D investigations. Why none of the channels are doing the same with NVIDIA and forcing them to offer better products at much reasonable prices if people can't vote with their wallets? I mean, there was also quite a few problems with their cards as well, beyond the fact that they're overpriced AF, let alone NVIDIA just moved their product line so XX80 cards become shitty XX70 cards and so on.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

That's a good start, hopefully more channels will follow.

There's one thing though that botters me after seeing all these ASUS / 7800X3D investigations. Why none of the channels are doing the same with NVIDIA and forcing them to offer better products at much reasonable prices if people can't vote with their wallets? I mean, there was also quite a few problems with their cards as well, beyond the fact that they're overpriced AF, let alone NVIDIA just moved their product line so XX80 cards become shitty XX70 cards and so on.
Plenty of channels complained about Nvidia pricing. One reason Nvidia renamed current 4070Ti from 4080, for example.

However, Nvidia boards don't blow out your motherboard and other components (in general). Their prices are scummy, but products do work. Yes, there have been an issue here and there over the years, but there is a reason for their market share and it's not purely due to herd mentality.

Back to Asus, I am still bitter. Going to sell my 670e-e Gaming board and get ASRock instead. They have seemingly best RMA response currently overall in case things go wrong.

Besides Asus, I would never buy a Gigabyte product either. Good luck getting response from them if things go wrong. They had the audacity to push back against RMAs for their exploding power supplies as an example.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Plenty of channels complained about Nvidia pricing. One reason Nvidia renamed current 4070Ti from 4080, for example.
It is clearly not enough. Better working products does not justify insane prices as well as shifting product lines to charge insane prices for inferior products. Don't even get me started on VRAM issues - where the games are going, there must be 16-20GB cards availale at the bare minimum for xx70 and 24-28GB for xx80 cards. 8GB cards should not exist anymore, 12 should be the bare minimum for low/mid range. Also, there's even one more issue with NVIDIA - they're saying that xx70 cards are at the same level if not better than xx90 cards, but in fact they're severely cut down versions of xx90 and as a result, not only they're performing worse, but also have way less VRAM, way less CUDA cores, much worse memory bandwidth and 128bit BUS which is 2 times worse. So right now it's is very easy to get miles better 3090 with overkill VRAM for the same if not much less price than 4070Ti, sure it does not have DLSS 3.0 and Frame Generation, but it won't perform like 3080 in most heavy games and will eliminate any VRAM issues which 4070Ti simply can't do.

I think there's more than enough different reasons to treat them like ASUS and force them to change, cuz clearly AMD or Intel won't be doing it and are not doing it. And yeah, you can clearly see that they are changing things when put under preasure, but there's not enough preasure to make them do even more needed changes. What they're doing right now is clearly anti-consumer practices and using market advantage to charge insane prices and offer overpiced af products during basically zero competition to force them to change that way. I think there's also must be a worldwide law to prevent any company from doing this and inforce competition, making better products and offer much more consumer friendly and competitive prices. There's far more people who can't afford 900-1500 GPUs cuz either they don't have money or just won't buy them out of principle and any xx70 level card cuz they're total crap, these people are treated like trash right now where as before they were buying xx80/xx80Ti level cards cuz they were much more affordable and reasonably priced - 10th series was the last one. And that's not to mention that they released 3090Ti and just 6+ months later released much better GPU for the same price and literally spit in the face to all those who bought 3090Ti.
Besides Asus, I would never buy a Gigabyte product either. Good luck getting response from them if things go wrong. They had the audacity to push back against RMAs for their exploding power supplies as an example.
I've Z390 Master, works perfectly for almost 5 years and I've zero complaints about Gigabite when it comes to mobos and GPUs - never had any problems with them.

As for PSU, yeah, unless it's Super Flower, Fractal Design, Seasonic or be quiet! (and a few other brands if they're available in your country).... GTFO. I personaly bought 860W Ion+ 2 Platinum for my next build, cuz it's the best PSU available in my country right now by a country mile.

Last edited:
E-cores arnt as bad, my previous CPU 3770K was a lot slower.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I have been hearing a lot that Gigabyte is improving as Asus is declining.

StereoVsn

I have been hearing a lot that Gigabyte is improving as Asus is declining.
Perhaps, and their AM5 boards look pretty good. But before I can trust their RMA process, I won't be buying their products. Same with Asus, will take me a lot to go back to them.

Captn

I bought for a really good price about 3 weeks ago the 7950x3d and an MSI X670E Carbon Wifi combo. Did not make the change yet since I've read about the issues around the time I bought.

For now I have the 7950x and the TUFF gaming Asus board since about 5 months now with no issues whatsoever.

Now, I'm going to make the switch in about a month and was wondering if MSI have a new bios for the issue out and would it be safe for me to make the switch in a few weeks.

Thank you

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I bought for a really good price about 3 weeks ago the 7950x3d and an MSI X670E Carbon Wifi combo. Did not make the change yet since I've read about the issues around the time I bought.

For now I have the 7950x and the TUFF gaming Asus board since about 5 months now with no issues whatsoever.

Now, I'm going to make the switch in about a month and was wondering if MSI have a new bios for the issue out and would it be safe for me to make the switch in a few weeks.

Thank you
MSI doesn't need a bios update afaik, only Asus have the retarded overvoltage issue.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Building a new pc for my cousin today. AsRock motherboard, 7800X3D and a 4090. Would've bought an Asus motherboard like I did when I built my own pc, but this thread saved me.

Thanks Leonidas Leonidas ❤️

Gigabyte x570 series has been pretty rough bios-wise. Hardware-wise, I'll single out the Master, which has three hardware revisions. :messenger_neutral:
I have the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra (launch version 1.0) and I've had no issues with it. I'm not some extreme OCer though, all I've done on X570 is set the XMP profile in the BIOS.

It started with a 3900X and currently is home to a 5800X3D. That's the end of the line for it but I'm expecting it to last until either AMD figures AM5 out or AM6 launches.

Last edited:
That's a CPU from over 10 years ago. It would be very bad if ANY core in a new generation didn't beat that easily.
Based on these results I think E-cores even beats the PS5 CPU (well over 60fps in cyberpunk). For background tasks you dont need more than that, and I'm sure these additional E-cores will also make a difference in future games (developers can use them even for decompression). My point is, it's better to have CPU with 14 cores in totall (6 P-cores and 8 E-cores, for example 13500) than only 6 cores (for example ryzen 7600X).

Top Bottom