• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'MUST HAVE' Rythem Games?

Bored the otherday, I decided to go through my gaming library and play some old titles. I started playing Frequency, Amplitude, and Guitaro Man once again...and fell in love.

I know the fellows at Harmonix are working on a new title.

But now that I've been re-infected with the bug I want to try my hand at other great titles that I've missed. I'm looking for a list of MUST HAVE 'all time' great Rhythm games. I wanna explore the genre. Any game released from PS1 up.

I'm looking to learn about games like: Parappa the rappa, DDR, Samba de Amigo and others I've never even heard of.

So GA...where do I start?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Space Channel 5 is an interesting title.

(Ok, what is the story behind "Space Michael", anyway?)

Gattsu25

Banned
uh...you mean...MUSIC games?

quick list from my collection:
Um Jammer Lammy
Rez (getting stoned is a prerequisite to playing)
Samba de Amigo (NEED the special controller and MUST be played with at least 4 friends rotating turns...awesome game)

you've already played the other ones I own...try out Space Channel 5 (part 1 and 2)...I didn't like them...at all...but you might :b

DavidDayton said:
Space Channel 5 is an interesting title.

(Ok, what is the story behind "Space Michael", anyway?)

Didn't they have a budget release recently too. It was like the original and the sequel on one disc for twenty bucks. Would that the best version to get?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Guitar Freaks series (PS1/PS2)
Dance Dance Revolution series (N64/PS1/DC/PS2/XBOX)
Technic Beat (PS2)
Pop 'n Music (PS1/DC/PS2)
Bust-a-Move/Bust-a-Groove series (PS1/PS2)
Umjammer Lammy (PS1)

demi

Bust a Groove

hiro_heat.jpg

Tsubaki

PSX:

Bemani (DDR, Guitar Freaks, Beatmania, Pop 'n Music) - Not much to say really. Dance, strum and play according to the arrows on the screen.

Bust a Move Dance & Rhythm (Bust a Groove) - simon says-like game with music from Avex (Jive in Western world). The music is generallly dance-oriented, and there's a verses aspect with being able to attack your opponent even while dancing

Parappa the Rapper/Umjammer Lammy - similar simon-says like games. Parappa with a rap theme, Umjammer with a guitar theme. There's an interesting twist in being able to freestyle the measures and gaining more points than if you perfectly simon-says'd it. Umjammer gives you more length, but I actually prefer Parappa's songs more.

DC:

Space Channel 5/SC5pt2 - more rigid simon-says type of game than others mentioned. requires a bit of short term memorization and rhythm. the music is more toward groovy 70?s tunes, and is the perfect example of how your performance affects visuals and audio. when you perform perfectly, you save people that join you. and depending on who you save, the music will be different (layered audio), and the visuals will change too (different dance moves). SC5pt2 is a lot more expanded in every area and is the far better game. But both have a lot of charm. It's a game that you strive for perfection, but can still enjoy missing the mark because you'll see how things change when you do.

Samba de Amigo - shake them maracas to 6 different positions on screen. there are some other things such as posing and such. although there is only a small track list, if you import Samba de Amigo 2000, you'll probably be satisfied with that. this game works your arms pretty well.

PS2:

Bemani series - similar to what i said in PSX section, but expanding to include Drummania, Keyboardmania, Para Para Paradise and Beatmania II DX (7 keys + scratch pad, opposed to original which is 5 keys + scratch)

SC5 pt 1 + 2 - same as DC

Mad Maestro is fun, especially if you like classical music. There is Unison but I didn't really like it. I've heard great things about Vib Ribbon. I believe you can use your music cds with it, But thats a ps1 import game.

Edit: Taiko Drum Master is great, srew all those people who can't hit the thing properly.

I'll second Vib Ribbon. It's one of my all-time favorite games for PSX.

Other favorites that don't require a special controller:
Parappa the Rapper, Um Jammer Lammy, Space Channel 5, Gitaroo Man.

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
I believe the word u are looking for is Rhythm. There is no E in that word.

For me I would have to say Donkey Konga 1 & 2, any DDR, Taiko Drum, and Samba De Amigo.

Miniboss

IN THE GROOVE- like DDR, but better. The songs are harder, there's more mods and the home version will be almost arcade perfect.

(If it ever fucking comes out.)

yeah, I had posted this early in the morning and botched the spelling of Rhythm.

After reviewing the thread I noticed the mistake and went back and re-edited the title as you can tell! But alas, it is forever in the main page as an err.

So far we have:

Frequency
Amplitude
Gitaroo Man
Parappa the rappa
Samba de Amigo
Space Channel 5
Rez
Guitar Freaks series
Dance Dance Revolution series
Technic Beat
Pop 'n Music
Bust-a-Move/Bust-a-Groove series
Umjammer Lammy
Donkey Konga
Beatmania
Mad Maestro
Unison
Vib Ribbon
Taiko Drum Master
IN THE GROOVE

Did I gather them all? Am I missing any crucial titles?
I'm gonna start looking..thanks for all the replies :p

Scalemail Ted said:
Did I gather them all? Am I missing any crucial titles?
I'm gonna start looking..thanks for all the replies :p

Beatmania and Pop'n are the best games on that list. Get Beatmania IIDX specifically. Beatmania is for kids with autism.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I wouldn't be so quick to say that, since "nobody" knows what the US version of IIDX will actually be called.
It could wind up being named just plain ol' "Beatmania".

But, anyway, yeah, IIDX > *.

(for home systems... now, if there was a PS2 Beatmania III...)
wtf (re: N64 DDR)
It exists.

I'm not sure if it qualifies, but Band Brothers for the DS is amazing and well worth the price of importing. I've had it since February and I still played it for about 4 or 5 hours today.

Tain

Beatmania IIDX is king, period.

It could wind up being named just plain ol' "Beatmania".

It will be called plain ol' "Beatmania". Check the official site. ...Which I'm too lazy to link to.

Sounds like it'll be a great release, though.

aoi tsuki

On the topic of Bust a Move, how was the sequel? i loved the original, but only played the sequel briefly, hardly enough to form a solid opinion. i've only got the soundtrack to the sequel (scored off of The Rage for ten bucks), so i already know about the music.

Also, it's spelled "rhythm". :)

aoi tsuki said:
On the topic of Bust a Move, how was the sequel? i loved the original, but only played the sequel briefly, hardly enough to form a solid opinion. i've only got the soundtrack to the sequel (scored off of The Rage for ten bucks), so i already know about the music.
- More varied/interesting gameplay
- Better graphics
- Better dancing moves
- Significantly crappier music

Top Bottom