• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My coworker thinks I'm stalking her because I found her home address on a website

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadedm17

My brother was born in 71, me 87 and his wife I believe early 80s. The girl I tried to kiss was my assigned date for my brothers wedding two years prior where she was 16. At the time of the rejection I believe she was 18 and me 20.

My brother was born in 71, me 87 and his wife I believe early 80s. The girl I tried to kiss was my assigned date for my brothers wedding two years prior where she was 16. At the time of the rejection I believe she was 18 and me 20.

You don't think it's weird to try to get with your brother's niece?

That's a green light to try to go balls deep if ever I heard one.

I share too much , I like open discussion and learning. This girl I talk to at work all the time, she usually asks me questions randomly, and from asking me if i had a girlfriend minutes after meeting Id assumed our communication was direct and open.

Hyper isnt the right word but definitely overactive and chatty. Sometimes - like now - that means sharing too much. Its not an excuse but its definitely part of my wiring I battle with daily. We all have things wired in us that guide us poorly.
So, now you're excusing your weird behaviour with girls on your genetics? Why not just have some personal responsibility?

studyguy

Could be worse OP. You could have Facebook or IG creeped on her and asked how her vacation in ___ went when a slightly tangential convo came up or maybe brought up a family member of theirs by name you found in a pic? Look on the bright side.

Spladam

If it's any consolation, you're probably going to earn one of the threads of the year titles, and luckily you're probably not going to get a tag out of this.
I share too much , I like open discussion and learning. This girl I talk to at work all the time, she usually asks me questions randomly, and from asking me if i had a girlfriend minutes after meeting Id assumed our communication was direct and open.

Hyper isnt the right word but definitely overactive and chatty. Sometimes - like now - that means sharing too much. Its not an excuse but its definitely part of my wiring I battle with daily. We all have things wired in us that guide us poorly.
OP, do you have periods of manic behavior, or extended periods of depression?

So, now you're excusing your weird behaviour with girls on your genetics? Why not just have some personal responsibility?
God I hate this superiority dog-piling bullshit.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Morning, what's goi---

giphy.gif

Matt

The problem is the things you keep saying like "We all have things wired in us that guide us poorly" are things that perhaps other people should be saying to you to make you feel better about screwing up. When you say them, it really feels like you are using this logic in order to excuse your own bad behavior, which becomes a crutch.

T-Rex.

Banned
Threads like this are hilarious because they nearly always backfire, and for some damn reason the OP never just takes the L and moves on, OP always has to keep coming back and digging a bigger hole.. why man.

Powerpuff

A bit late at the party but...

A few months ago I started a new job and before I finished training a young woman who knew me for less than a few minutes of small talk asked "Do you have a girlfriend?", something at the time I took for a signal.

[...]
[Poorly justified creep stalking story]
[...]

GAF, What stories do you have of people totally missing the mark and thinking you're something or someone you're not?

OP, just read your own story and you might have been the first misunderstanding here.

My first girlfriend was at 17 and we dated four years. Around two years in I had a roadtrip with a crush (brothers wifes niece) and wanted to make a move. I spent two hours on the phone with my girlfriend breaking up. Minutes later I tried to kiss my crush and got rejected bad. The next few days were awkward.

My girlfriend and I got back together the next day.

My crush greeted me years later at a mall excited to see me.

Im awkward and weird sometimes. Life is akward and weird sometimes. We move on.

hey op if your coworker ever decides to confront you about the stalking just lead with this

His brother's wife's niece right? His brother's niece would be his own niece.

Well, my wife is still an aunt to my sister's kids, it's not a blood relation but it's still family.

1. Not by blood.
2. Everyone is related if you go back enough.

Pick one.

If you have to use the defence of "not by blood", it's probably too close. Also, there's a difference between everyone being related thousands of years ago and your brother's family.

Chuckie

Well, my wife is still an aunt to my sister's kids, it's not a blood relation but it's still family.

That only goes as far as aunt and uncle (at least in the Netherlands). I wouldn't consider my brother's wife's niece family at all. (Unless my brother's wife's niece is actually my daughter of course ;) ).

OP's brother is married.
That woman has a brother or sister
That brother or sister has a daughter of OP's age.

I don't consider that family tbh although I agree it sounds creepy.

jiggles

Banned
Is it weird for two brothers to be dating two sisters? Because although I can't think of any examples I've seen of that, it doesn't strike me as wrong, and the brother's partner's niece is a step further removed from that.

Holy crap! 25 pages! Did I miss any Sunhi gifs or Mandrake recaps?
YES!

For those of you just joining us...

cURLrmC.jpg

It was the best of times, it was the creepiest of times, as one unfortunate young lady came to realize after a brief encounter with our OP, jadedm17. It all began when the two exchanged pleasantries and agreed to share a meal together in what was certain to be a run-of-the-mill case of an awkward first date.

But then things turned sinister. jadedm17 decided to search online and find this lady on a database, which had her name, address, birthday, and other such fascinating information. Now, jadedm claims that he only did this out of boredom after he coincidentally stumbled over the database the day after meeting this girl. To most of GAF, the timing seemed suspect.

Now, like most creeps, our OP could have gone about his life without anyone knowing about his seedy detective work, but unfortunately, jadedm17 made the classic stalker's mistake-- he let his stalking become known. When the two continued chatting after his search, the young woman asked about jadedm's birthday... Like... normal people do, as opposed to delving into some weird deepweb bullshit. When she heard that his birthday was in July, she remarked that they shared the same birth month.

jadedm17 replied:
0OWE4xN.gif

Unfortunately, instead of coming across as a cool and charming space pirate, he just came across as a total weirdo. But jadedm17 was quick to explain that he knew through the totally normal and innocent method of searching some strange online database of Florida residents, thus making the second fatal stalker's mistake-- not even knowing just what the hell a woman is, I guess. She quickly retreated to the restroom where she confided to a mutual acquaintance that jadedm17 was creeping her out. Said acquaintance then informed our would-be Romeo that he had totally dropped the ball.

Now, while jadedm wanted to hear similar tales of misunderstanding to ease his mind, instead he was bombarded with what could best be summarized as "What the hell, bro?" Of course, he was quick to defend himself, trying his best to make it seem as if he did a totally normal thing.

And then he said these words for some reason...

Yet, he never admitted to doing anything that might be unsettling.

And along the way SunhiLegend stopped by for an accurate recreation of the thread's events...

So, that's the state of things currently. There's been some brief debate between stalkers and normal people about what constitutes true stalking, a lot of jokes at the OPs expense, and a lot of women making sure that their blinds are closed.

Now, the world waits to see what will happen next. Will jadedm17 make amends with his coworker? Will he learn to respect people's desire for privacy? How do you even use these databases anyway... Like... You know, just out of curiosity. Not to track down former business partners of a failed airline and exact revenge using training and connections obtained after joining the yakuza, or anything like that. That would be silly. I certainly wouldn't do that.... That's crazy. Even if I was a rogue yakuza enforcer-- which I'm not-- I wouldn't do that. It would bring shame to my oyabun. But just like... how do you use these things, hypothetically?

Let's find out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom