• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Arkeband

Banned
I'm on Episode 30 and I've just gotta comment on how similar this is to Naruto.

- Plucky underdog character gets into school via a test arc
- Next goes to, basically, a Forest of Death type location where the bad guys show up and force them all to fight real enemies prematurely.
- Next is a tournament arc that is immediately followed by an attack on the city.
- Now they're fighting a guy who immobilizes people when he licks their blood (basically, Hidan)

It's got better animation than Naruto and way less filler, so I'm enjoying it despite that, but it's feeling really shackled to this genre's norms, and I'm hoping it finds a way to do something a little different soon.

(I do like how it parodies the genre, though, with the antagonist that literally has an 'evil clenching hand' permanently glued to his face.)

Lakuza

I'm on Episode 30 and I've just gotta comment on how similar this is to Naruto.

- Plucky underdog character gets into school via a test arc
- Next goes to, basically, a Forest of Death type location where the bad guys show up and force them all to fight real enemies prematurely.
- Next is a tournament arc that is immediately followed by an attack on the city.
- Now they're fighting a guy who immobilizes people when he licks their blood (basically, Hidan)

It's got better animation than Naruto and way less filler, so I'm enjoying it despite that, but it's feeling really shackled to this genre's norms, and I'm hoping it finds a way to do something a little different soon.

(I do like how it parodies the genre, though, with the antagonist that literally has an 'evil clenching hand' permanently glued to his face.)

when did naruto have a test arc to get into school? He was already in school wasn't he? and got the headband in the first episode?

And I think you're reaching pretty far with the other ones (I'll give you the hidan similarities but I don't think this was ever unique to naruto in the first place). USJ has nothing in common with forest of death.

Also the tournament arc followed by an attack on the city is the one that stretches the comparison the most. The tournament was never interupted and the attack happened about a week later and took place in a different city/town.

Breaking down anime to basic points like yours will make it harder to enjoy anything since every anime has things that resemble other anime arcs.

Since super glowing reviews I decided to try the second season. Just at the calvary event and holy shit is this just exposition? The scene goes to the staff house and it's literally 3 people talking about the event. Why even have this? Wasted 2 minutes of the episode for something you can easily understand from seeing the point system.

Y'all lied and said this was an improvement on the first season.

Since super glowing reviews I decided to try the second season. Just at the calvary event and holy shit is this just exposition? The scene goes to the staff house and it's literally 3 people talking about the event. Why even have this? Wasted 2 minutes of the episode for something you can easily understand from seeing the point system.

Y'all lied and said this was an improvement on the first season.
No one lied, the second season is just largely seen as incredible.
Your opinion differs, but you weren't mislead.
Also Mt.Lady, Death Arms, and Kamui of the Woods are all new/young heroes (like college graduates)/reoccurring characters, so its just a chance to show them again.

Meffer

No one lied, the second season is just largely seen as incredible.
Your opinion differs, but you weren't mislead.
Also Mt.Lady, Death Arms, and Kamui of the Woods are all new/young heroes (like college graduates)/reoccurring characters, so its just a chance to show them again.

He was like this when the first season aired too. Don't mind him.

MHA doesn't parody or deconstruct Shonen but it does subvert/play with the tropes in a lot of useful ways. Bakugou is probably the best example. Typically, the "strong-looking bully" type characters are done by the end of the first arc.

PaulBizkit

So many opportunities for puns

Todoroki will switch between ice and fire puns

Bakugo explosion puns

Iida wil make speed and engine puns

You don't know what you're asking for...

8078452338423a0000923f5f980d9401407c8e9a15b0bdbf96576d5abc56f376.jpg

LotusHD

Banned
Pre-timeskip Naruto blows MHA (so far) out of the water.

There, I said it.

Well since it's the anime thread, going off where Naruto and MHA were at this point in the manga, it's pretty even tbh. Manga-wise, where we compare the both of them at Ch. 155, Naruto certainly can say it had more hype moments for sure, and I certainly preferred its tournament arc to MHA's.

That said, when all is said and done, MHA has a much stronger foundation imo in terms of characterization, so in the long-term it is definitely going to pay off if the author keeps up the quality, as opposed to Naruto where, uhh.... it could've been better. Also it doesn't have Sakura.

Ok that is your opinion. I don't know the necessity to post it here tho.

Don't take it personal.

Well since it's the anime thread, going off where Naruto and MHA were at this point in the manga, it's pretty even tbh. Manga-wise, where we compare the both of them at Ch. 155, Naruto certainly can say it had more hype moments for sure, and I certainly preferred its tournament arc to MHA's.

That said, when all is said and done, MHA has a much stronger foundation imo in terms of characterization, so in the long-term it is definitely going to pay off if the author keeps up the quality, as opposed to Naruto where, uhh.... it could've been better. Also it doesn't have Sakura.

If we compare the first 38 episodes of Naruto to MHA, Naruto is easily way ahead though.
  • Kakashi vs Zabuza
  • Naruto & Sasuke vs Haku
  • Start of the Chuunin Exam with the introduction of Neji and Gaara, and Lee whooping Sasuke's ass
  • Sasuke vs Orochimaru in the Forest of Death (which was fucking awesome and followed by Anko vs Orochimaru, which was also cool)
  • Sakura having her moment protecting Naruto and Sasuke against Team Dosu and Lee & the others showing up to save the day
  • Start of the prelims where shit got real

I think MHA gets way too much credit for its characterisation. Certainly at this stage. I don't see what it's done that puts it apart from other shounen. It's like people are tripping over themselves to come up with reasons why it's so out of the norm and unique.

At this point in time, we'd seen similar levels of development in Team 7, if not more. Honestly, early Naruto was balls to the walls awesome.

As for Sakura, she was actually pretty good at this point. She'd come around on Naruto, gone as far as wanting to withdraw from the Chuunin Exams for his sake to preserve his dream and defended Naruto and Sasuke like her life depended on it against Team Dosu during the second stage. Sakura, as a character, was developing really well until after Hidan & Kakuzu arc, at which point she was relegated to the sidelines for a good while.

Pre-timeskip Naruto blows

Fixed that for you. Naruto has it's moments here and there. But in just in terms of characters and pacing and even the pacing of the action MHA blows Naruto out of the water. The sheer number of characters who are completely insufferable and main characters in Naruto is staggering. And even the most exciting fight scenes get dragged down by constant flash backs and characters spending pages or half an hour just explaining the fight to everyone like we're stupid and can't follow what's going on.

Like just with the main characters, Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura are some of the most unlikable main characters in an anime I've ever seen. And all of them only get more frustrating and unlikable as the series goes on.

Fixed that for you. Naruto has it's moments here and there. But in just in terms of characters and pacing and even the pacing of the action MHA blows Naruto out of the water. The sheer number of characters who are completely insufferable and main characters in Naruto is staggering. And even the most exciting fight scenes get dragged down by constant flash backs and characters spending pages or half an hour just explaining the fight to everyone like we're stupid and can't follow what's going on.

Like just with the main characters, Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura are some of the most unlikable main characters in an anime I've ever seen. And all of them only get more frustrating and unlikable as the series goes on.

I'm comparing the first 38 episodes of Naruto to the first 38 of MHA.

Your takes on Naruto beyond the scope of pre-timeskip isn't relevant to anything I'm arguing.

And let's not pretend MHA hasn't had its fair share of flashbacks. I'd wager it's had more at this point than Naruto did.

I'm comparing the first 38 episodes of Naruto to the first 38 of MHA.

Your takes on Naruto beyond the scope of pre-timeskip isn't relevant to anything I'm arguing.

And let's not pretend MHA hasn't had its fair share of flashbacks. I'd wager it's had more at this point than Naruto did.

What did I talk about that was post time skip or post episode 38? Right from the bat, Naruto had an unlikable main cast. Literally right from the get go the main three characters are annoying and unwatchable. The series is only saved by the strength of it's side characters and antagonists.

Nothing has the emotional resonance and pay off of Deku proving himself to All Might, his first use of his quirk and entering UA.

The thread is about MHA, not Naruto. If you want to talk about what you didn't like about the first 2 seasons cool, but I don't see the need to compare.

They're similar series.

You yourself have brought up Naruto before in One Piece threads. Wa'gwan with that?

What did I talk about that was post time skip or post episode 38? Right from the bat, Naruto had an unlikable main cast. Literally right from the get go the main three characters are annoying and unwatchable. The series is only saved by the strength of it's side characters and antagonists.

Nothing has the emotional resonance and pay off of Deku proving himself to All Might, his first use of his quirk and entering UA.

If you didn't like the main cast in Naruto from the start, I don't know how you got through the entire series, assuming you actually did cause your complaints about flashbacks and plethora of characters didn't even remotely became frequent enough until well into the series.

But whatever. If you think there was a ton of "emotional resonance" to Deku using his Quirk and that that moment was bigger than anything in Naruto, I have zero interest continuing this discussion with you, that preposterous beyond my tolerance of entertaining,

If you didn't like the main cast in Naruto from the start, I don't know how you got through the entire series, assuming you actually did cause your complaints about flashbacks and plethora of characters didn't even remotely became frequent enough until well into the series.
It's one of those things were it was there and you watched it but looking back you hated the experience overall. I also had friends who made me watch the show in general.

But whatever. If you think there was a ton of "emotional resonance" to Deku using his Quirk and that that moment was bigger than anything in Naruto, I have zero interest continuing this discussion with you, that preposterous beyond my tolerance of entertaining,
Why would I give a shit about anything related to the character of Naruto when I just want him to stop. Talking. Forever. Like you can have a moment like with Iruka in the first episode but I don't and will never care.

SoulUnison

Banned
The thread is about MHA, not Naruto. If you want to talk about what you didn't like about the first 2 seasons cool, but I don't see the need to compare.

Oh, is this happening in here, again?
The thing where a random user suddenly feels they have the duty to curate what people can and can't discuss in a thread about a comic/cartoon series, of all things?

As long as the discussion is even tangentially Hero Academia based, this is the thread for it.
Nobody gets to decide what others can and can't talk about. If you see a discussion you don't want any part in - just don't be part of it.

Artist is Ekita玄
LjmRLnF.jpg

I always found it kind of weird that, for an author whose inspirations seem to be heavily western-comic based, he didn't spend more time making sure he picked codenames that worked in both languages.
"Froppy" is pretty good, but "Uravity" and "Creaty/Creati" are awful, terrible, no-good very bad names.
"Earphone Jack" is also a little too on the nose. Maybe lose the "Earphone" and just be "Jack."

LotusHD

Banned
If we compare the first 38 episodes of Naruto to MHA, Naruto is easily way ahead though.
  • Kakashi vs Zabuza
  • Naruto & Sasuke vs Haku
  • Start of the Chuunin Exam with the introduction of Neji and Gaara, and Lee whooping Sasuke's ass
  • Sasuke vs Orochimaru in the Forest of Death (which was fucking awesome and followed by Anko vs Orochimaru, which was also cool)
  • Sakura having her moment protecting Naruto and Sasuke against Team Dosu and Lee & the others showing up to save the day
  • Start of the prelims where shit got real

Well like I said, Naruto has more hype moments, but overall I consider them more or less even when I look back and do a quick comparison. Though I guess I could say I enjoyed Naruto more than MHA as an anime back in the day when I watched it.

I think MHA gets way too much credit for its characterisation. Certainly at this stage. I don't see what it's done that puts it apart from other shounen. It's like people are tripping over themselves to come up with reasons why it's so out of the norm and unique.

I didn't say any of this though. In fact, I'm the last person to ever say that MHA is unique. At the same time though, I just consider it to be better than Naruto in this regard. *shrugs

Certainly wouldn't go that far. Like just off this page, Zabuza and Haku for instance were great. Actually stuck in my mind more than Deku getting his quirk, I had to look that up again lol, Season 1 did not impress me for the most part

Jintor

the zabuza arc is still the only bit of naruto centred around the main characters i actually like
because i dropped it afterwards more or less

Uravity is a great name imho.

All I know is that My Hero Academia has this moment & Naruto doesn’t.

dSj9OdS.gif

a5a2dde33740d6332ffdd93819e107c422124d49_hq.gif

F6123874CBF6885406AE0768370965744EB9BD6E

giphy.gif

Well like I said, Naruto has more hype moments, but overall I consider them more or less even when I look back and do a quick comparison. Though I guess I could say I enjoyed Naruto more than MHA as an anime back in the day when I watched it.

I think your memory is failing you a bit more than you think. Naruto was on some next level hype shit by now. The whole build up to the Chuunin Exam was insane.

I didn't say any of this though. In fact, I'm the last person to ever say that MHA is unique. At the same time though, I just consider it to be better than Naruto in this regard. *shrugs

I was just making a broader point there, not necessarily addressing anything you might have said about it.

Reset

There's no fight so far in MHA that comes close to the Gaara/Rock Lee fight. Naruto has the better fights, sorry. :[

NSESN

giphy.gif

I think your memory is failing you a bit more than you think. Naruto was on some next level hype shit by now. The whole build up to the Chuunin Exam was insane.

I was just making a broader point there, not necessarily addressing anything you might have said about it.

I am not sure what you tried to prove with the gifs, but it backfired.

LotusHD

Banned
How someone gonna say my memory's failing me as if they can read my mind lmao

I consider them to be overall even, end of story. If you disagree, that's fine, but I didn't forget anything.

I am not sure what you tried to prove with the gifs, but it backfired.

No, sorry.

Sasuke stepping up to goddamn Orochimaru in the Forest of Death is a way, way, way better moment than All Might punching a brainless goon.

And much better animated to boot.

How someone gonna say my memory's failing me as if they can read my mind lmao

I consider them to be overall even, end of story. If you disagree, that's fine, but I didn't forget anything.

That wasn't mean to be taken literally. More in the sense of, way back when the Chuunin Exam was all new to you, I personally don't see how you couldn't be hyped for it way more than anything MHA has got going in the same time frame. Subjective, of course, but I think in general, cause this shit was more than 10 years for a lot of people that used to follow Naruto, the hype was unreal.

giphy.gif

Wow. A character I know nothing about and a character I hope died since his debut episode trade ineffective blows back and forth. How compelling. Much hype.

All Might isn't just fighting a standard goon. It's about an old fighter, long past his prime and in an especially difficult situation stepping up to see if he is capable or whether he's too far past his prime to make a difference.

But considering your barometer, vocabulary and defition over whether something is good is "HYPE" I think that says all it needs to about you.

LotusHD

Banned
That wasn't mean to be taken literally. More in the sense of, way back when the Chuunin Exam was all new to you, I personally don't see how you couldn't be hyped for it way more than anything MHA has got going in the same time frame. Subjective, of course, but I think in general, cause this shit was more than 10 years for a lot of people that used to follow Naruto, the hype was unreal.

I mean, I didn't have the opportunity for any potential MHA anime hype to begin with, I caught up with the manga after the first season ended.

Wow. A character I know nothing about and a character I hope died since his debut episode trade ineffective blows back and forth. How compelling. Much hype.

See, now this is why I didn't take it further with you. Either you don't know, or you just hatin' - or ignorant.
ncIwDA0.png

If you knew anything about Naruto, you'd know that's Orochimaru. And those gifs are from a pivotal moment in the series early on.

This is all ancient history now, but at the time it was goddamn cool, and it's still way better than All Might's punch.

Regardless, I ain't entertaining your triflin' no mo'.
Ef0LEom.png

I mean, I didn't have the opportunity for any potential MHA anime hype to begin with, I caught up with the manga after the first season ended.

We're in the same boat.

See, now this is why I didn't take it further with you. Either you don't know, or you just hatin' - or ignorant.
ncIwDA0.png

If you knew anything about Naruto, you'd know that's Orochimaru. And those gifs are from a pivotal moment in the series early on.

This is all ancient history now, but at the time it was goddamn cool, and it's still way better than All Might's punch.

Regardless, I ain't entertaining your triflin' no mo'.
Ef0LEom.png

We're in the same boat.
I'm aware of who Orochimaru is. But in the context of when that encounter played out, who knows or cares who he is? We don't know anything about him and anyone with a working brain could see Sasuke was already on the fast track to being one of the worst examples of a creator pet in the history of fiction.

Also I'm ignorant? Rich coming from the guy who can only say "HYPE" or "not hype".

There are plenty of good moments and things about Naruto and you latch onto Sasuke of all fucking things.

ShadyK54

No, sorry.

Sasuke stepping up to goddamn Orochimaru in the Forest of Death is a way, way, way better moment than All Might punching a brainless goon.

source.gif

Eh, sure, if you think so. I don't personally see it, but I would need a rewatch anyway.

Skip ahead a bit to Lee & Gaara and I would agree more/put it on the same level of personal hype as All Might.

In the end I find it useless to compare, I enjoy them both. :p

NSESN

All Might's fight not only look better but it is also better in context. Again this isn't a Narito thread so this discussion is worthless.

No, sorry.

Also the goon wasn't brainless. You can literally see his brain. It's exposed.

Sorry couldn't help but make that joke.

Top Bottom