• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Talents

Banned
All Might himself said he cannot save everyone. That the most important thing he does is inspire others to act as heroes. Even if Deku is the fastest hero ever, inspiring others like Iida to be the greatest heroes they can be is the point of being the symbol of peace.

I'm not talking about when they leave school and become actual heroes because of course Deku is gonna be the strongest hero then even if he can't save everyone. I'm talking about if he manages to control OfA to like 50% while he's still in school, surely Ilda will just be fucked.

Lakuza

I'm not talking about when they leave school and become actual heroes because of course Deku is gonna be the strongest hero then even if he can't save everyone. I'm talking about if he manages to control OfA to like 50% while he's still in school, surely Ilda will just be fucked.

But Iida's top speed will also increase as the series progresses, he isn't achieving his max speed already so there's always a possibility he won't be outclassed by deku in speed by the third year. Also he is able to redirect in midair which deku can't (unless he is able to do this too in the future lol)

Should I continue with the manga now that the second season is done? I haven't read a manga in a lonnnnng time, but man I don't want to have to wait for the third season and even then be back to episode by episode (I watched everything up to the Stain arc in two days initially). What I'll definitely miss most from the manga is the music. I guess I'll have to play You Say Run whenever something cool is happening on the page.

As for some of the general other shonen discussion that's been going on in here: Is HxH really that good? I find the art to be hideous and the character designs obnoxious, but everyone claims it's so exceptional. I'm ready to leap in if I'm convinced, but could someone try to sell it to me?

ShadyK54

Should I continue with the manga now that the second season is done? I haven't read a manga in a lonnnnng time, but man I don't want to have to wait for the third season and even then be back to episode by episode (I watched everything up to the Stain arc in two days initially). What I'll definitely miss most from the manga is the music. I guess I'll have to play You Say Run whenever something cool is happening on the page.

As for some of the general other shonen discussion that's been going on in here: Is HxH really that good? I find the art to be hideous and the character designs obnoxious, but everyone claims it's so exceptional. I'm ready to leap in if I'm convinced, but could someone try to sell it to me?

I'm a broken record, but yeah, I would suggest reading.

As for HxH, I couldn't do that, I'm only 16 episodes in lol.

Talents

Banned
But Iida's top speed will also increase as the series progresses, he isn't achieving his max speed already so there's always a possibility he won't be outclassed by deku in speed by the third year. Also he is able to redirect in midair which deku can't (unless he is able to do this too in the future lol)

All Might can redirect in the air by punching so it's not too crazy to think Deku could do the same.

LotusHD

Banned

Read the manga. And yes, HxH is amazing compared to most shounen.

So I started reading the manga starting from Vol 9 but it looks like that is the last released English version until vol 10 comes out next month. Still going to have to wait a while for more story eh?

klaushm

My friend did the same as you. Now he is reading the manga weekly. Not a bit of regret.

And about HxH, I know most say it is amazing, so it should be amazing to most. I personally find it boring, as a whole. For those who are eager to question me why:
Yes. Even the Chimera Arc which, which was the worst to me. The Arc only became good when Gon interacted directly with Pitou, and until his fight with her. Those were the best moments. I don't think HxH sucks scientifically, but only in my opinion.

Mendrox

Hunter x Hunter is masterclass Shounen. Hero Academia does not even compare to it. You are really really missing out. There is no other Shounen like Hunter X Hunter with it's logical approaches in fights, character motivations, story direction and more.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, just finished watching the first season. Let me preface this post by mentioning that I really like it so far. Likable characters, interesting power structures, great animation (mostly), and a pretty catchy theme song.

But I have to say. I might be missing something, but can someone explain why this is supposed to be one of the top 3 most cutting edge, and popular series in recent memory? From everything I've heard people say, this is supposed to be Naruto for the new age. I mean, again, I like it just fine, but I don't see how this is blowing up. It seems like a good, solid, enjoyable Shonen series, but I don't see what elevates it beyond that. Maybe I have to watch more? I mean, One Piece didn't start getting into overdrive until like Alabasta, so maybe it's a similar case?

Moaradin

Okay, just finished watching the first season. Let me preface this post by mentioning that I really like it so far. Likable characters, interesting power structures, great animation (mostly), and a pretty catchy theme song.

But I have to say. I might be missing something, but can someone explain why this is supposed to be one of the top 3 most cutting edge, and popular series in recent memory? From everything I've heard people say, this is supposed to be Naruto for the new age. I mean, again, I like it just fine, but I don't see how this is blowing up. It seems like a good, solid, enjoyable Shonen series, but I don't see what elevates it beyond that. Maybe I have to watch more? I mean, One Piece didn't start getting into overdrive until like Alabasta, so maybe it's a similar case?

Season 2 is when it really starts to come together imo.

Mendrox

Season has bad pacing and is more like the prologue.

XAL

HxH is really that good.

I thought the designs were kind of oldschool and eh, but you'll fall in love with the characters as you make your way through S1 and you can't really imagine why you were remotely turned off in the first place. I thought it was going to be super light all the time and childish and holy fuck was I wrong, it still has a healthy dose of comedy - but it has plenty of mature drama and violence. It was way better than I expected and I walked into it knowing people revered it like Berserk.

The final major arc in the anime is easily one of the best things put to a screen. The amount of thought put into fights and the mechanics of the world is absolutely insane. Each season ups the ante and the characters are always in danger and never feel like they have plot armor. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by not watching it. It's a masterpiece I think.

dickroach

i forgot to watch the finale till earlier today.
the sinister-ness of... a whole bunch of people.... all might is toast

i love this show so much
he gon get dead. deku's gonna save him

PaulBizkit

Old question: do you consider Tsuyu's episode to be filler? I mean, everything is canon there but barely mentioned in the manga.

New question: who should have its own episode in this next season?

NSESN

Old question: do you consider Tsuyu's episode to be filler? I mean, everything is canon there but barely mentioned in the manga.

Going by popularity pools, the only secondary characters more popular than Tsuyu are Jirou and Kirishima. Jirou appear way less than both so I think her getting a filler is the most logical outcome.

LotusHD

Banned

Basically is filler unless it actually gets meaningfully referenced later on. Whatever, not a hill to die on regarding whether it is or not.

And give an episode to Jirou or Uraraka.

ShadyK54

Tokoyami or Jirou.

I wanna know how kid Tokoyami dealt with Dark Shadow.

I don't if this has been asked before or if it's a little spoiler-y but are there any talks of My Hero Academia: Vigilantes being animated?

it's really good and give more backround story of the Heroes along with a delightful new cast a characters and quirks! the last couple chapters were really good and even got into very light spoiler;
the origin of quirks and heroes

I think you MHA fans would definitely like it, but I guess there's not many chapters to be animated? only 14 chapters.

Ascheroth

I don't if this has been asked before or if it's a little spoiler-y but are there any talks of My Hero Academia: Vigilantes being animated?

it's really good and give more backround story of the Heroes along with a delightful new cast a characters and quirks! the last couple chapters were really good and even got into very light spoiler;

I think you MHA fans would definitely like it, but I guess there's not many chapters to be animated? only 14 chapters.
Please not.
Vigilante is bad and actively makes the main manga worse. It has the occassional interesting worldbuilding, but it's just not good as a whole.

Caught up, now eagerly awaiting Season 3.

Favorite moments:

-TODOROKI'S LEFT ARM
- Lida's arc with Stain
- All Might at the Exit Exam

Bakugo Vs. Uraraka and All Might Vs. Nomu are close behind.

Not reading the Manga, I'm being patient. Gonna suck though but I might go back through the series with friends who are interested.

ShadyK54

giphy.gif

caliph95

Yeah no I don't need vigilantes animated

I'll tell you what, what I was expecting when I came into this thread was FAR from this lol.

Do it.

manfestival

So, since the season is over, are you going to going to read the manga from here on out?

I read the manga after the end of season 1. I got to issue like 100 and stopped. However, things are about to get awesome. I am really curious about what happened after issues 100 but I will check it out eventually I guess.

Arkeband

Banned
Hmm so I finished S2 the other day... I think I liked S1 better. It had a much tighter narrative with a sense of progression and at least the facade of the possibility of loss - and All Might vs Nomu wasn’t topped by anything in S2 (although Deku vs. Half-Cold Half-Hot was neat).

Tournament arcs are fine in moderation but S2 was essentially two tournament arcs back to back, interrupted briefly by a short fight with a bad guy who “kills people” (but randomly decides to let a side character live! No character deaths allowed!).

Considering the only other anime I’m watching at the moment is DBS, which is also in its (second) tournament arc, it really feels like it’s just doing the bare minimum from a plot perspective.

The OP mentions that “it gets dark” but how can it be dark when every character is sacred? Even the bad guys don’t die with the exception of some last-minute throwaway Nomu’s (now no longer a name but a title for anything created by the villains, like Putties). It shows pools of blood underneath maimed and mangled heroes and they always pull through.

I may check out the manga to see where S3 will be going. You know, even without the filler we’re usually subjected to with these shows (was Froppy’s episode filler?), even Naruto’s plot killed off a few villains and a Hokage by this point.

LotusHD

Banned
While no one ever dying is ultimately not a good thing, it's also pretty shortsighted to think that a series can only get dark if somebody dies.

Arkeband

Banned
While no one ever dying is ultimately not a good thing, it's also pretty shortsighted to think that a series can only get dark if somebody dies.

It’s a show that lives and dies on the competition between characters, yet no character is ever eliminated. What is dark about a clash between good and evil that only really ever amounts to sparring matches?

The only character who has suffered at all is Iida’s brother who was barely mentioned up until that point and he still lived for virtually no reason. Based on how the show treats every other character it wouldn’t be surprising if he makes a miraculous recovery to be able to appear at the last minute for some later fight to save someone or stop a hero from killing a villain or vice versa.

So basically no matter what happens everyone will be okay and the precedent here is that even the main antagonists will survive and may even become good guys. It’s hard to care when there are no stakes.

All Might vs Nomu was badass because it made it seem like he was sacrificing himself for the children. And maybe that will still happen at some point, but the idea that this huge character was pushed to this extreme this early was really neat. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like it’s interested in taking those kinds of risks.

NSESN

While it is not "Dark", S2 is definitely darker than S1 happy-go-lucky style. Even the arcs with direct villain confrontations have a different tone in their resolutions. USJ ends with everyone happy and All Might triumphant, Stain arc ends with villains getting more powerfull and people sympathizing with a serial killer.

Arkeband

Banned
I was speaking in a general sense, hence why I said "series".

There are some bits of the story that have dark elements, such as Shoto’s backstory, which started great in S2.

His dad is abusive and his mom was basically forced to breed with him to create an offspring with a special Quirk - a presumably real issue that would arise if this situation actually occurred in any other reality. Good worldbuilding, especially since that aspect of the show is otherwise pretty sparse.

But then he kind of forgives his dad and even goes to work for him, and then goes to visit his mom in an insane asylum (???) and they talk it out and make amends, because this is what this show does - it takes something that you think might be “dark” (OP’s words) and twists and sanitizes them for a YA audience. Hey, even Shoto’s mom can overcome domestic abuse and possibly rape, and Shoto can overcome child abuse... offscreen, no less! His father could represent a complicated hero who has tortured his own family and is actually a hypocrite and a villain, but it seems like he and Shoto will eventually accept one another.

The series has a lot of good ideas stirring around, but it’s too afraid to pull the trigger and truly explore any of them.

caliph95

Todoroki doesn't forgive his dad, pretty sure he said he never will

He just taking advantage of him to be the best hero he could be

ShadyK54

Todoroki doesn't forgive his dad, pretty sure he said he never will

He just taking advantage of him to be the best hero he could be

Yeah. Your dad is the #2 Hero in the world, best believe that’s something you take advantage of when honing your skills.

There are some bits of the story that have dark elements, such as Shoto’s backstory, which started great in S2.

His dad is abusive and his mom was basically forced to breed with him to create an offspring with a special Quirk - a presumably real issue that would arise if this situation actually occurred in any other reality. Good worldbuilding, especially since that aspect of the show is otherwise pretty sparse.

But then he kind of forgives his dad and even goes to work for him, and then goes to visit his mom in an insane asylum (???) and they talk it out and make amends, because this is what this show does - it takes something that you think might be “dark” (OP’s words) and twists and sanitizes them for a YA audience. Hey, even Shoto’s mom can overcome domestic abuse and possibly rape, and Shoto can overcome child abuse... offscreen, no less! His father could represent a complicated hero who has tortured his own family and is actually a hypocrite and a villain, but it seems like he and Shoto will eventually accept one another.

The series has a lot of good ideas stirring around, but it’s too afraid to pull the trigger and truly explore any of them.

1. He doesn’t forgive his dad. He despises him. Shoto learning to deal with having both sides as a Quirk & using them in tandem instead of relying solely on his moms quirk (and starting at his dad’s agency) isn’t forgiveness.

2. We don’t know the extent of the conversations between Shoto & his mom, but I’d like to believe that despite being scarred by her, Shoto doesn’t hold any ill will towards his mom. That’s something he blames on Endeavor.

Yeah. Your dad is the #2 Hero in the world, best believe that’s something you take advantage of when honing your skills.

Why not pick the #3 hero who isn't an abusive rapist?

I guess the show is pretty dark, since it teaches people that taking a moral stand against anything is foolish if taking that moral stand could possibly maybe negatively effect you.

Arkeband

Banned
Why not pick the #3 hero who isn't an abusive rapist?

I guess the show is pretty dark, since it teaches people that taking a moral stand against anything is foolish if taking that moral stand could possibly maybe negatively effect you.

Or, in Deku’s case, suicidally charge anyone and anything even if it will get you and/or a hostage killed.

Top Bottom