• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

None of the fights are interesting or good in MHA. It's a lot of exposition with a few seconds of movement. More exposition. More movement. Then a finale hit. It's generic, has bad writing, and the pacing sucks for something people consider a fight. I keep forgetting this is just a childhood saturday cartoon show I am watching in 2017, all the same trappings are there so I can't be too disappointed but I still am.

Jintor

i wouldn't go that far but i do still find myself a bit annoyed at the amount of talking/thinking people do 'in the moment'. It flows better in manga cos time is so variable, but when people have the chance to have several run-on sentences after being hit, the stop-start gets really garbage.

but that's most anime for you

I didn't post Gaara versus Lee gifs cause it wasn't in the same time frame.

It's a better fight, but Sasuke vs Orochimaru happened early on and it's one of those overlooked fights because Naruto had so many.

i wouldn't go that far but i do still find myself a bit annoyed at the amount of talking/thinking people do 'in the moment'. It flows better in manga cos time is so variable, but when people have the chance to have several run-on sentences after being hit, the stop-start gets really garbage.

but that's most anime for you
Of course but during the Cavalry Battle my gf started telling the characters to "hurry the fuck up, we understand your stupid plans and motivations already, just run around and use your abilities".

It's so grating. I just don't get how people thought this was any good. What is the appeal here?

Jintor

ppl like to understand stuff in the moment

i'd rather they do some unbelievable shit and someone breaks it down later. But nope, we gotta be "Sensei let me explain why this random junk i created out of my body returns to its original shape when you heat it despite nobody ever mentioning it and nobody chekov's gunning that shit even in passing"

Talents

Banned
Isn't Ilda basically useless once Deku learns to control his power to even 50% or something since Deku will most likely be able to run faster than Ilda even with his Burst move?

None of the fights are interesting or good in MHA. It's a lot of exposition with a few seconds of movement. More exposition. More movement. Then a finale hit. It's generic, has bad writing, and the pacing sucks for something people consider a fight. I keep forgetting this is just a childhood saturday cartoon show I am watching in 2017, all the same trappings are there so I can't be too disappointed but I still am.
Terrible posting.
Get some help.

SoulUnison

Banned
Isn't Ilda basically useless once Deku learns to control his power to even 50% or something since Deku will most likely be able to run faster than Ilda even with his Burst move?

I laughed so hard when Deku decided to start focusing on kicks.

I imagined Iida in the background just looking wistfully down at his legs and going "...Fuck."

Hypron

I mean, Deku will become the strongest hero (as he says in the OP), but other students like Todoroki and Bakugou won't become useless either given how powerful their quirks already are even though they are mere teenagers.

All Might's fight not only look better but it is also better in context. Again this isn't a Narito thread so this discussion is worthless.

Debatable, and the part that's got good animation is also extremely short.

Naruto up until Chuunin exam ends is god tier shounen though

Yup.

Same goes for Bleach up until the end of the Soul Society arc, but it's not as particularly similar to MHA as Naruto. I'm just saying mainstream shounen series were really dope back then.

Everything in Naruto up until the end of the Chuunin Exams is top tier. It dipped a little after that, but then it gave us the Sasuke Retrieval Arc which was mind blowing.

I like MHA a lot but I put it in the same tier as Katekyou Hitman Reborn. Very promising, especially at the start, but others had done more and better in similar and shorter time frames.

Moaradin

Part 1 of Naruto is overrated as fuck. All the best parts are just a worse version of HxH. The best Naruto arc isn't even in part 1.

All Might himself said he cannot save everyone. That the most important thing he does is inspire others to act as heroes. Even if Deku is the fastest hero ever, inspiring others like Iida to be the greatest heroes they can be is the point of being the symbol of peace.

NSESN

This Naruto talk is really boring. Please someone mention Mineta again.
I mean, Deku will become the strongest hero (as he says in the OP), but other students like Todoroki and Bakugou won't become useless either given how powerful their quirks already are even though they are mere teenagers.

Debatable, and the part that's got good animation is also extremely short.
No it is not. Sasuke vs Orochimaru is very forgetful and has ok animation even in its best shots.

Mendrox

This Naruto talk is really boring. Please someone mention Mineta again.

No it is not. Sasuke vs Orochimaru is very forgetful and has ok animation even in its best shots.

I still think there is nothing wrong with Minetas motivation to be a hero. Everyone of them has different goals and motivations so I like that it's not just "I love heroes and shit" but more real "I wanna be famous so girls like me" or like with Urarakas "I want to help my family with money" reason.

NSESN

Cmon stop quoting the spoiler too
I still think there is nothing wrong with Minetas motivation to be a hero. Everyone of them has different goals and motivations so I like that it's not just "I love heroes and shit" but more real "I wanna be famous so girls like me" or like with Urarakas "I want to help my family with money" reason.
I agree. Mineta's motivation is nice. The problem is the rest of his attitude. If he wants to be a cool person why keep acting like that?

Count me on the overrated camp. It's good but yeah, 2 episodes of good animation in rock lee vs gaara isn't enough for me, tbh.

And everything is made worst when you realize Neji was right all along.

Give me more plus ultra.

PaulBizkit

If we compare the first 38 episodes of Naruto to MHA, Naruto is easily way ahead though.

The first 60 episodes of naruto are better than One Piece's, Bleach's, Dragon Ball's, Saint Seiya's, Fairy Tail's, everything. Naruto was amazing right from the start. The first episode told us who he was, why was he cursed, how the other villagers reacted to him and how he felt about it; then he stole a scroll, got chased down, had a fight with a more trained ninja, Iruka "sacrificed" himself for him, and, at the climax of the episode, Naruto performed a massive cloning technique to defeat him.
And the episode ended with Iruka's redemption and Naruto having his bandana, making him an official ninja.

Then, compare that to the first episode of EVERY shonen ever, and everything pales in comparison (even Boruto... like, come on, a train?!?!).

Naruto started as a 10, ended as an 8.5, the start of Shippuden made it a 7, and after Pain, it became a 3.
MHA started as a 7 and, as soon as Deku enters UA, it becomes a 8 and never dropped.

I think MHA gets way too much credit for its characterisation. Certainly at this stage. I don't see what it's done that puts it apart from other shounen. It's like people are tripping over themselves to come up with reasons why it's so out of the norm and unique.

The cast is great, I love it but i don't know how to put it in words.

Ascheroth

Early Naruto was great. But all I remember is basically Zabuza and the Chuunin Exams, and those kind of only started at this point.
It's not really easy to compare them that way, also since MHAs seasonal structure leads to some suboptimal... structuring.

Like S1 is just 13 episodes and ends after it barely begins, and it was super noticeable that they dragged it out to finish right after the USJ.
S2 should have ended with Stain and aftermath. The exams after are nice but not really season finale material.

S1 should have been ~24 episodes and ended with Stain.

And it also has very weak background art.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hey, I'm currently in the process of writing a post critizising the background art, that's on-topic :p

Well the past several pages have been either bare-bones criticism/low-level trolling (hard to tell the difference at times) and/or non-stop Naruto comparisons.

You guys don't have much of a leash here anymore.

I don't like MHA animation. For a series that prides itself on many different abilities, there's not a lot of fluidity with the character models fighting. It's always a shot of an attack or jump but rarely in the same shot as another character so they can dodge, attack back, etc and so forth. Maybe the All Might fight? It'd be nice if they strived for more All Might fights or something closer to Darker Than Black or One-Punch Man.

Ascheroth

I really disagree with this part. BG art is on par with most shounnen.
And s1 started getting made very early. No way it could have 24 episodes.
Don't get me wrong, I really liked the anime and the manga is my current favorite battle shonen alongside Kimetsu no Yaiba, but I also like critizising the parts of the anime I think could have been done better. (I also don't really want to start a round of "everything is so bad, it's shit, etc", because it really isn't.)

It looks 'decent' often enough, but there's some really meh looking stuff in there. Mostly ground.
CfKiK6c.jpg
YDC5QBj.jpg
z9xIQG5.jpg
It just looks very basic with some some cheap textures thrown over it to make it look like it has some details.
...I really don't like that textured look. S2 has been better than S1 at that front though, like with everything else.
Those pics are obviously a little cherry-picked, but I just find the general look of the backgrounds very bland.

I kind of wanted to compare it to Twin Star Exorcist's background art, which looks way better despite being a 50 episode straight running shonen (MHA has it beat in a lot of other areas though), but I probably don't want to start another round of comparisons ;)

I'm just talking 'ifs'. And the obvious solution to that problem would have been starting production a bit later :p
I dunno, Having USJ -> sports festival -> Stain in one season would have been insane.

I definitely disagree with the BG part, BLack Clover, Twin Star Exorcists, even World Trigger have some moments where their backgrounds look pretty stunning. I cant say the same for any moment of HeroAca and thats partially because it seems it's locked itself into a single city, and arenas for combat.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Too early to tell which will be better between Naruto and MHA.

Also weird comparison when we're just comparing the beginnings when Naruto's earliest arcs are it's best. Then I just remember 200 episodes of where's sasuke until Shippuden.

MHA has some great impact moments and fun technical drill down. You could say it's above average in all categories without being the best in class in any.

Great character arcs forming but not at the level of impact that One Piece does.

Great ability variety but not at the level of Naruto or One Piece

Great technical breakdown but not at the level of HxH

It does a lot of things well though maybe not at the highest level. A real Jack of all trades.

What I specifically like about MHA is the central hero theme of selflessness. The defining trait of Midoriya is a willingness to risk everything for mostly anyone. Defining moment in the show for me was Midoriya vs Todoroki. Throwing away his chance at the tournament just to help his opponent. Interested if they will be able to keep the stakes up as character strength evolves. I'd love them to have the MC gain a lot of fame and have to sacrifice all that fame or sacrifice all the strength he's gained for another person.

Maybe I should start reading the manga.

The first 60 episodes of naruto are better than One Piece's, Bleach's, Dragon Ball's, Saint Seiya's, Fairy Tail's, everything. Naruto was amazing right from the start. The first episode told us who he was, why was he cursed, how the other villagers reacted to him and how he felt about it; then he stole a scroll, got chased down, had a fight with a more trained ninja, Iruka "sacrificed" himself for him, and, at the climax of the episode, Naruto performed a massive cloning technique to defeat him.
And the episode ended with Iruka's redemption and Naruto having his bandana, making him an official ninja.

Then, compare that to the first episode of EVERY shonen ever, and everything pales in comparison (even Boruto... like, come on, a train?!?!).

Naruto started as a 10, ended as an 8.5, the start of Shippuden made it a 7, and after Pain, it became a 3.
MHA started as a 7 and, as soon as Deku enters UA, it becomes a 8 and never dropped.

The cast is great, I love it but i don't know how to put it in words.

I don't know what drugs you smoking, but if they can make Naruto seem that good then they can't be good for your health.

Naruto started at mediocre then quickly descended into trash.
Edit: my apologies, didn't realise how long the Naruto derail had gone on for.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the anime and the manga is my current favorite battle shonen alongside Kimetsu no Yaiba, but I also like critizising the parts of the anime I think could have been done better. (I also don't really want to start a round of "everything is so bad, it's shit, etc", because it really isn't.)

It looks 'decent' often enough, but there's some really meh looking stuff in there. Mostly ground.

It just looks very basic with some some cheap textures thrown over it to make it look like it has some details.
...I really don't like that textured look. S2 has been better than S1 at that front though, like with everything else.
Those pics are obviously a little cherry-picked, but I just find the general look of the backgrounds very bland.

I kind of wanted to compare it to Twin Star Exorcist's background art, which looks way better despite being a 50 episode straight running shonen (MHA has it beat in a lot of other areas though), but I probably don't want to start another round of comparisons ;)

I'm just talking 'ifs'. And the obvious solution to that problem would have been starting production a bit later :p
I dunno, Having USJ -> sports festival -> Stain in one season would have been insane.

The BG art is off. I remember when the 1 on 1 matches were introduced and it would pan and then zoom to them walking in, I thought "Is this PS1?" There's not enough to absorb so it becomes very bland.

There's also a lot of still frame shaking with horizontal or vertical lines to show cheering or general group/solo movement. It's breaks the pacing in that your eyes aren't focused on anything because it's a single image without moving bits. It's especially worse when preceding shots don't build up to anything that keep you hooked like
Shinji crushing Kaworu
from Neon Genesis Evangelion. The worst part is this type of animation only helps highlight other problems like the dialogue that could otherwise be hidden behind good visuals. I remember watching Rage of Bahamut (first season) and thinking, "Damn, there's like no padding here, there's, like, constant movement..." It helps you be more engaged and not notice corny dialogue or that they may say a lot of exposition.

Why is there Naruto talk in MHA thread? Anyways, trash tier sh NOOOO

Edit: Sorry typed in wrong thread. No manga spoilers should be in all caps for the next OT please.

Anyways season 3 should be amazing with the biggest jump in quality imo and development for the whole class.

Top Bottom