• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They defeated the villain with the power of love. Like, literally.

I might be a brony, but some things are still very difficult to get past with a straight face.

PBalfredo

I personally loved how everyone (on livestream) was all like, "Elements of Harmony... AGAIN" then were surprised it wasn't

It's the best way to go about it. The episode didn't rely on it, but if no one thought to use it, afterwards everyone would be on the forums asking "Why the hell didn't they just use the elements of harmony?"

McNum

They defeated the villain with the power of love. Like, literally.

I might be a brony, but some things are still very difficult to get past with a straight face.
But the villain used the Power of Love, too. I like that, it's new. Said villain has an official name, by the way: "Queen Chrysalis"

I was a little wary about part one, I really don't care much for mistaken identity or jealousy plots, and the first part was pretty much all that. Did like how they let Twilight be right, though. Twilight is properly paranoid.

Then part two happened and WHOA! The series' first villain song, and a genuinely creepy villain. Who's wielding the power of love that she stole from the bride. And new there's an honest invasion of Canterlot. Well, time to break out the Elements of Ha-, oh. Guess not. You'd think the Mane Six would have been called to Canterlot if the threat was as big as the security suggested, you know, just in case. Anyway, the day is saved thanks to a Powerpuff Girls style fight scene, and Twilight having a plan B. The true power of love wins out and we have a wedding. Yay!

Definitely one of the better episodes this season. Good to see Luna being back to her duty, too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I only wish Cadance and Shining Armor had been more memorable characters. They're probably the most forgettable one-offs in the entire series. They weren't bad, there was just nothing all that interesting about them.

McNum

I only wish Cadance and Shining Armor had been more memorable characters. They're probably the most forgettable one-offs in the entire series. They weren't bad, there was just nothing all that interesting about them.
I kind of like how Cadence and Shining Armor are blatantly toy tie-ins. Spike even HAS the toys in the episodes. Yet it still worked pretty well.

Actually, I rather like how Shining Armor fits the "cool big bro" niche. Only other one to do that is Big Macintosh, but he's not really one for words, so doesn't lend himself too well to being the focus of a given episode... My only gripe with how they handled it was how he and Cadance came pretty much out of nowhere. Still, it helps flesh out Twilight's backstory, which is always appreciated.

Cadance sucks and devalues the status of being an alicorn and a princess.

If she was just a regular unicorn and not royal, the story would have been exactly the same.

But that would have affected their marketing for the episodes, now wouldn't it.

PBalfredo

New villian that's driven away but not imprisoned or defeated? Shifts shape and feeds off of love?

Hope everyone's ready for Queen Chrysalis to drive the plot in every fanfic ever during the break.

The introduction of the changeling species presents tons of interesting possibilities.

for the fandom to make use of because the show will never mention them again

FillerB

Cadance sucks and devalues the status of being an alicorn and a princess.

If she was just a regular unicorn and not royal, the story would have been exactly the same.

But that would have affected their marketing for the episodes, now wouldn't it.

Think of it like this. Cadance is the third-in-line of some faraway kingdom and became Twilights foalsitter for political reasons. We _know_ that Equestria isn't the only place in the MLP-world. The origin-story in Hearths warming eve proofs that as the forebears came from outside Equestria.

Yeah the whole rising the sun/moon bit with Celestia/Luna kinda throws a spanner in the works but oh well. Marketing wants its moneys.

McNum

Yeah, Shining Armor is pretty cool. When he's not brainwashed, of course.

By the way, we're up to four alicorns now, not three. Princess Cadence and Queen Chrysalis. In her true form, she still had a horn and wings.

Orcastar

By the way, we're up to four alicorns now, not three. Princess Cadence and Queen Chrysalis. In her true form, she still had a horn and wings.

But Chrysalis is not a pony.

But there was that filly from Twilight's flashback in Lesson Zero. Oh and in Hearts and Hooves day, there was a picture of an alicorn in the book the CMC got the recipe for the love potion/poison from.

McNum

True, I guess this means that alicorns aren't unique, but still rather rare. We saw that teenage Cadence was an alicorn, so they are probably born like that. And I don't really want to go too far into pony genetics, to be honest, Baby Cakes showed us how weird it can be.

Still, it does devalue the power of Celestia and Luna a bit, but maybe there's more to being a goddess-pony than just wings and a horn. Notice that Cadence does not have the magical manes of the other two.

ZoddGutts

The final two episodes were really good, especially the final episode. Wish that Luna had some part during the fight scene helping out, but oh well at least they throw a scene with her at the end.

brian577

Banned

I'm not convinced that was her true form. Her and her minions probably took on that form to better converse with their prey. Her true form is probably so hideous it would drive any sane pony mad.

Still, it does devalue the power of Celestia and Luna a bit, but maybe there's more to being a goddess-pony than just wings and a horn. Notice that Cadence does not have the magical manes of the other two.

Not really, she seems to age at a normal rate suggesting she is not immortal. Celestia and Luna are still unique.

Ikael

Utterly awesome finale. This second season completely trounced the first one, Game of Thrones - style. Even if the resolution was way too ex - machina, the rest of it was great. The songs, the references (DJ-P0n!) the villain being some kind of element of bitch, and the epic battle was, well, unexpected (in a good way). Outstanding.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
That finale was far better than what I was expecting. Yes the resolution was rather cheesy but I honestly don't care, that was a great way to wrap up season 2.

Katzii

My main qualm with the finale was that the three original bridesmaids got replaced with the crappy mark crusaders. At least they didn't have a speaking part or dominate the episode though. I really hope Season 3 has less of them because their episodes really brought the season down.

Also, I tend to prefer the two-parters with a bit of drama to them, than the standalone episodes. I would love to see more of them, but I don't see it being likely.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My main qualm with the finale was that the three original bridesmaids got replaced with the crappy mark crusaders. At least they didn't have a speaking part or dominate the episode though. I really hope Season 3 has less of them because their episodes really brought the season down.

Also, I tend to prefer the two-parters with a bit of drama to them, than the standalone episodes. I would love to see more of them, but I don't see it
being likely.

You are so, so wrong.

nCtxs.gif

I hope the final season (whether it be 3 or not) has the CMC get their marks.

I also hope the series has a real ending, but then again, little kids show, little girls show, toy commercial show, etc.

Whatever the last season is numberwise, I hope there's callbacks and closure.

Also, I tend to prefer the two-parters with a bit of drama to them, than the standalone episodes. I would love to see more of them, but I don't see it being likely.

Why the hate for the CMCC?

I personally enjoyed their news reporter episode

Moving on to more important matters.
"This Day Aria" (Cadence/evil!Cadence duet). Best MLP-song or best MLP-song?

I agree, it was great, but it's no "Winter Wrap Up" or "Smile, Smile, Smile!" :)

I don't get this... I am an MLPFIM newbie, but the CMC episodes are some of my favorites. Yes, Ponyville Confidential was great.

I agree, it was great, but it's no "Winter Wrap Up" or "Smile, Smile, Smile!" :)

I don't get this... I am an MLPFIM newbie, but the CMC episodes are some of my favorites. Yes, Ponyville Confidential was great.

IMO my MLP song rank list is:

1. This Day Aria
2. Smile!
3. Becoming Popular
4. At the Gala
5. Remixes (oh yeah)
6. The rest of the songs

I like This Day Aria (other than having it on loop for a good 2 hours alrdy) because it's the first villain song in the series and it's really really classic Disney-esque which is awesome, not to mention the animation during that scene was superb.

Honestly, outside of "The Show Stoppers", I don't think I've seen a CMC episode I've disliked. Hell, "The Cutie Pox" gave us My Little Lebowski - hard to hate that.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Finally got around to watching it.

Fukken amazing. Would have turned inside out if it was Discord, but we can't have everything.

And ShArmour is a dish~

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

re-quoted with appropriate response.

mbkAP.gif

judhudson

This episode was superb! Lots of small fan shoutouts. They actually used Luna, DJ Pon3's eyes, and even the Spike 'shipping' the figures, lol.

I hope the final season (whether it be 3 or not) has the CMC get their marks.

I also hope the series has a real ending, but then again, little kids show, little girls show, toy commercial show, etc.

Whatever the last season is numberwise, I hope there's callbacks and closure.

My Little Pony Season 3

Executive Producer: Casey Hudson
lead writer Mac Walters

Uchip

Banned
having only seen the premiere, and finale of season 2
i can say that the latter does not compare to the former, at all.

Tizoc

I managed to watch the finale late last night, at the last minute before I went to bed since the next day is a work day.
...but only Ponies, ONLY PONIES would make me stay up late at night and have only 6-7 hours of sleep before a work day.
The finale was great, the Pinkie Pie gatling gun was friggin' hilarious I almost woke my brother up from sleep X3 Ep. had lots of GIF potentiel.

Also CONSPIRACY TIME!
Where was Luna in all this? I'm willing to bet she was in league with the Changling. Think about, the Changlings start terrorizing Canterlot, then come night time, Luna appears and drives them away. In doing so she makes a deal with them that they can hunt at night, and she tells them where and when to attack the Ponies.

Top Bottom