• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I agree with this. The fact that they didn't even bother explaining what her relationship with Celestia and Luna is only emphasized this problem. Is "princess" even a royalty title at this time, or just what they call winged unicorns? If so, this doesn't explain Prince Blueblood, to be certain.

I loved this finale, but it could have been done just as well if Cadence was a regular unicorn.

Well it's obvious that Shining Armor and Cadance were just there for a toy tie in, and the writers tried to work with them as best they could. That's why they didn't come off as very engaging characters.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Phase 1: Welcome to Canterlot! BADABOOM

aZqO9.gif

y6M68.gif

qPBTm.gif

Ruqax.gif

C5kEP.gif

wLtNF.gif

Do7Wn.gif

I loved it, awesome music, really funny moments and epic story. Wish it could have been longer and they showed Luna and Celestia battle the evil queen but I know they only have a limited amount of time.

Watched the finale, it was enjoyable, part 2 especially though the ending was pretty rushed as mentioned numerous times already.
Loved the little things about the whole brawl scene, specifically Fluttershy duping her doppelgangers by acting tough and then the Dash spin on the similar idea, that spin being surprise hooves to faces. I found the song in part 1 a bit too cheesy for my liking but the one from part 2 was pretty great.

Anyway it's not quite over for me, I still have to go back and watch ep 24.

Theonik

Can we have a GIF of the "do me" part with pinkie pie where the bad guy was was like *shrug* and then did an imitation of pinkie pie and smiled. (the shrug and clone pinkie specifically)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Watched the finale, it was enjoyable, part 2 especially though the ending was pretty rushed as mentioned numerous times already.
Loved the little things about the whole brawl scene, specifically Fluttershy duping her doppelgangers by acting tough and then the Dash spin on the similar idea, that spin being surprise hooves to faces. I found the song in part 1 a bit too cheesy for my liking but the one from part 2 was pretty great.

Anyway it's not quite over for me, I still have to go back and watch ep 24.

Bad guy songs are almost alway awesome, and this was no exception. It was fantastic.

Biggest problem with Twilight's song, was its way too obvious that Tara isn't singing.

Bad guy songs are almost alway awesome, and this was no exception. It was fantastic.

Biggest problem with Twilight's song, was its way too obvious that Tara isn't singing.

The moment the musical cues started up for Twilight I was perking up my ears in preparation for the voice change, it's a bit jarring.

Sadsic

The moment the musical cues started up for Twilight I was perking up my ears in preparation for the voice change, it's a bit jarring.

Rarity is the one with the really jarring change in vocals; it took me forever to realize that Rarity was even singing in Winter Wrap Up >_>

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Rarity is the one with the really jarring change in vocals; it took me forever to realize that Rarity was even singing in Winter Wrap Up >_>

Rarity can be jarring, but i think this one was even more so for Twilight, and usually it's not that noticeable.

Season 3: A changeling defects and starts living in hiding in Ponyville.

Great season ender, I'll agree about Twilight's singing voice being a pretty dramatic shift, I wasn't even sure if it was her normal singing voice at first. Shining Armour actually had more character to him than I expected, I wouldn't mind him showing up in the future, but he'll probably end up being as scarce as Luna was this season.

Speaking of, I don't see a conspiracy for Luna's disappearances versus Chrysalis appearing. I saw Luna as "Oh crap we need to shoehorn her into the finale." The most telling part was when she voiced a line from completely off-screen, that's not really normal for the show. But I'm glad they worked her in, even if they didn't directly explain why she skipped it. (Resting during days, but still she could've been there, yawning.)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Season 3: A changeling defects and starts living in hiding in Ponyville.

Great season ender, I'll agree about Twilight's singing voice being a pretty dramatic shift, I wasn't even sure if it was her normal singing voice at first. Shining Armour actually had more character to him than I expected, I wouldn't mind him showing up in the future, but he'll probably end up being as scarce as Luna was this season.

Speaking of, I don't see a conspiracy for Luna's disappearances versus Chrysalis appearing. I saw Luna as "Oh crap we need to shoehorn her into the finale." The most telling part was when she voiced a line from completely off-screen, that's not really normal for the show. But I'm glad they worked her in, even if they didn't directly explain why she skipped it. (Resting during days, but still she could've been there, yawning.)

Yeah, I think it'd be a hard sell to say that Luna wasn't added in after main production was finished.

blamite

Luna may have been added in after the fact, but her two scenes guarding the tower were pretty great. She's just being a badass, flying through bubble shields and watching over the night.
She's Batmane.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Episode ranking time.

Top Tier
Hurricane Fluttershy
Sisterhooves Social
Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000

Great Episodes
May The Best Pet Win
Lesson Zero
A Canterlot Wedding
Return of Harmony
The Last Roundup
Hearts and Hooves Day
Read It and Weep
It's About Time

Good Episodes
Luna Eclipsed
Ponyville Confidential
Putting Your Hoof Down
The Cutie Pox
Sweet and Elite
Secret of My Excess
Dragon Quest
Family Appreciation Day

Alright Episodes
Baby Cakes
A Friend In Deed
Hearth's Warming Eve

Celestia Why?! Episodes
MMMystery on the Friendship Express
Mysterious mare Do Well

Chuck

Still without luck
I'll make mine a bit simpler.

Best pony episode
Read It and Weep

Worst pony episode
Lesson Zero

edit: oh we're doing this season :p

Violet_0

Banned
(in no particular order yet, I still need to rewatch a couple of episodes)

best:

May the Best Pet Win
Read It and Weep
The Return of Harmony Part 1 & 2
Secret of My Excess

great:

A Canterlot Wedding - Part 2
Ponyville Confidential
Lesson Zero
Hearth's Warming Eve
Luna Eclipsed
The Last Roundup

good:

The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
Hearts and Hooves Day
A Friend in Deed
It's About Time
Hurricane Fluttershy

alright:

Sisterhooves Social
The Cutie Pox
Sweet and Elite
Family Appreciation Day
Putting Your Hoof Down
Dragon Quest

bad:

The Mysterious Mare Do Well
Baby Cakes
A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1

God Tier
Return of Harmony
Lesson Zero
Luna Eclipsed
The Last Roundup
It's About Time
Hurricane Fluttershy
A Canterlot Wedding

Top Tier
Sisterhooves Social
Sweet and Elite
Secret of My Excess
Hearth's Warming Eve
Ponyville Confidential

Mid Tier
The Cutie Pox
May The Best Pet Win
Family Appreciation Day
Baby Cakes
Read It and Weep
A Friend In Deed
Dragon Quest

Low Tier
Hearts and Hooves Day
Putting Your Hoof Down

My Little Pony: Newborn Cuties Tier
The Mysterious Mare Do Well

I dont have time right now to do my list, but let me add, all the lists posted have WTF things in them IMO.

Episode ranking time.

Top Tier
Hurricane Fluttershy
Sisterhooves Social

Great Episodes
May The Best Pet Win
Lesson Zero
A Canterlot Wedding
Return of Harmony
The Last Roundup
Hearts and Hooves Day
Read It and Weep
It's About Time

Good Episodes
Luna Eclipsed
Ponyville Confidential
Putting Your Hoof Down
The Cutie Pox
Sweet and Elite
Secret of My Excess
Dragon Quest
Family Appreciation Day

Alright Episodes
Baby Cakes
A Friend In Deed
Hearth's Warming Eve

Celestia Why?! Episodes
Mysterious mare Do Well

This lists smells like Pinkie hate lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This lists smells like Pinkie hate lol

Pinkie does not carry episodes well, sorry. And MMMystery is down there for the same reason as Mare Do Well, very out of character actions by some of the mane 6.

Baby Cakes was just slapstick scenes strung together, and Pinkie was a jerk in Friend in Deed (song rocked though).

Glorious.

Can someone explain why Mare Do Well is so universally hated? Is it because Rainbow Dash learned a lesson she should already know? The structure was too simple? Questionable pony technology?

I'm a bit sad that the most hated episode of the season is one with Batman: TAS send-ups and a Darkwing Duck outfit.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Glorious.

Can someone explain why Mare Do Well is so universally hated? Is it because Rainbow Dash learned a lesson she should already know? The structure was too simple? Questionable pony technology?

I'm a bit sad that the most hated episode of the season is one with Batman: TAS send-ups and a Darkwing Duck outfit.

I think people are upset about how Rainbow learned her lesson. You would think that her friends would simply tell her she was being a massive twat instead of endangering the citizens of ponyville.

I thought it was a pretty meh episode myself, if only because it focused on RBD being her usual self (I loved the reading episode though).

Violet_0

Banned
At least we have Game of Thrones and Avatar to watch for now.

exactly

well, yes - the plot was predictable, and the episode was just not fun to watch for me. I don't really care if the mane 6 acted out of character or not. I did like the Darkwing Duck reference, though.

Because the other 5 were all jerks who went through a long convoluted plot to trick Rainbow Dash and make her feel bad instead of just talking to her. While being giant hypocrites, "teaching RD a lesson" on humility while constantly praising their alter ego.

Not to mention RD was fine and didn't need a lesson at all.

ha, I would like to see you to elaborate on this later on

Its not so much as whole lists bad (from my point of view of course), is that you see a list were you you think some things are right placed and others terribly wrong, and then you see another were you see other different things right placed and others terribly wrong, but are totally different from one and another.
Basically that all lists posted are completly different.

Of course my list is not going to be better than those, as its only my opinion.

Pinkie does not carry episodes well, sorry. And MMMystery is down there for the same reason as Mare Do Well, very out of character actions by some of the mane 6.

Baby Cakes was just slapstick scenes strung together, and Pinkie was a jerk in Friend in Deed (song rocked though).

Pinkie episodes are great if you love the character, like I do, but I can see why you, not liking very much Pinkie, can say they are low tier.
I find that usually the worst (and that doesnt mean being bad) are the ones were Rainbow Dash is the main, May the Best Pet Win being the exception because I really love that episode.

Oh for the love of...

You know Twilight's BBBFF song in part 1? Fun song, kind of nice. Then at the end, it has a dark reprise. Well, if you know your music theory, and have a sharp ear, you'll know what's going to happen next. Because the end of the dark reprise uses a note pattern called a "Deceptive Cadence". Guess who walks into the picture just after that.

I got it from this Reddit post, and you know, could be a wild over-analysis, right? It's not. It's intentional.

Well played, Daniel Ingram, well played indeed.

Aren't deceptive cadences pretty common in music, though?

I think people are upset about how Rainbow learned her lesson. You would think that her friends would simply tell her she was being a massive twat instead of endangering the citizens of ponyville.

Well, were they really endangered by the other five's actions? I think the disasters were going to happen anyway.

well, yes - the plot was predictable, and the episode was just not fun to watch for me. I don't really care if the mane 6 acted out of character or not. I did like the Darkwing Duck reference, though.
Because the other 5 were all jerks who went through a long convoluted plot to trick Rainbow Dash and make her feel bad instead of just talking to her. While being giant hypocrites, "teaching RD a lesson" on humility while constantly praising their alter ego.

Not to mention RD was fine and didn't need a lesson at all.

I do remember we had two "Rainbow Dash gets hit over the head with the lesson book" in a row, that probably didn't help matters. Slam has a good point about the hypocracy of praising themselves on Mare-Do-Well. I knew it wasn't my favorite episode by a mile, I'm just disappointed that it seems to be the clear loser of the season on pretty much everyone's list. It's probably the BTAS fan in me.

Glorious.

Pretty much everyone is out of character in a way that makes them significantly less likable than their normal selves. Dash is even more of a sel-congratulatory braggart than she is normally, and the rest of the cast pull a monumentally dickish Batman Gambit to teach her a lesson when a simple aside would do. It's everything that's wrong with season 2.

Negator

That season finale was fantastic! The entire thing shined with quality and you could really tell that the staff put a lot of love into it!

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm the only one that liked the first episode more than the second of the two?

I mean I liked the whole villain sequence and all but maybe it was to wrapped up nicely in a clean bow. I guess I've come to terms that I'm only here for the laugh.. and the music.. and the visuals. Music was better in the second half though. Still better episodes all around.
I'll just toss me in the 'it could have been better as a full feature length film' category.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So 9:37 Eastern.

I love how you're always so picky about that, Hito. <3

I still can't remember which is standard and which is division. Maybe it'll help if I type it out once.

Note to self: Standard is Fall to Spring. Division is Spring to Fall.

There!

Cheerilee

The season finale was amazing! That's all that needs to be said.

This.

Well, were they really endangered by the other five's actions? I think the disasters were going to happen anyway.

Every appearance of MDW had just the right pony wearing the costume and hiding in just the right place with just the right abilities to prevent a catastrophe that was just outside of Rainbow Dash's ability. When Rainbow Dash can cross the city in seconds and they can't, and the entire point of their conspiracy was to humiliate her. That tells me that the later "disasters" were staged and/or sabotage.

First Twilight's balloon failed, and a non-flyer (I'm guessing Twilight) was waiting in costume on the appropriate rooftops to jump and catch the victim midair. And RD almost beat Twi to the save. RD delayed because she knew exactly how much time she had, and was already getting tired of the hero biz, so RD's "problem" was already solving itself.

Then the gang decided that they needed better plans, so they put AJ into the costume at the bottom of a hill, and sabotaged a passenger cart with just enough ponies in it so that RD would be unable to stop it, but AJ's superior strength could. This shows RD that her physical strength is useless.

Then some crane controls go haywire (Twi's telekinesis) and cause a rain of falling objects, which Pinkie can navigate safely with her Pinkie sense. This shows RD that her speed and reaction times are useless. (Looking past the scheme, it's heroic that RD not only didn't get herself killed there, but managed to save some ponies.)

Then the dam fails right in front of RD's eyes and threatens to destroy all of Ponyville, and Twi happens to be right there, well outside of town, on the exact same side of town as RD and the dam, in costume, and performs an epic huge spell. This shows RD that she'll never be a Unicorn.

Then Fluttershy flies by. This shows RD that she has nothing, and not even her wings make her special. Way to twist the knife on your BFF Flutterbitch.

That's a rigged sequence of events designed to utterly humiliate Rainbow Dash. The odds of suitable disasters happening randomly with the right ponies in the right places should be astronomical. RD actually went and staked out the only spot to see two disasters, which is really kind of smart by RD's standards, but that was of no use. So how did AJ know to stake out that exact same spot after it had only seen one disaster?

Now compare that to Rainbow Dash's genuine heroism. A kid falls down a well. RD heard them, flew down, and pulled them out. A baby carriage is about to roll off a cliff, and RD intercepted it. A balcony collapsed and RD caught it. These disasters are entirely sensible by comparison. They don't make it look like Ponyville is falling apart at the seams.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I disagree. It is stated that in that episode disaster seems to be prominent than usual, hence RD growing his head. It's not rigged in a sense that it just happens to be them being more on the watch. Since everyone has a costume they are pretty much observing the whole town and send one in the appropriate disaster.

Top Bottom