• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also CONSPIRACY TIME!
Where was Luna in all this? I'm willing to bet she was in league with the Changling. Think about, the Changlings start terrorizing Canterlot, then come night time, Luna appears and drives them away. In doing so she makes a deal with them that they can hunt at night, and she tells them where and when to attack the Ponies.

She seems to be active only during night, and resting during the day. She wasn't able to develop "whole day" schedule unlike Celestia.

I'm not convinced that was her true form. Her and her minions probably took on that form to better converse with their prey. Her true form is probably so hideous it would drive any sane pony mad.

Not really, she seems to age at a normal rate suggesting she is not immortal. Celestia and Luna are still unique.

She's a changeling. She has a "true form" I'm the same sense that a lawyer has a "real opinion."

Trixie or Discord

Haha, I actually thought the same thing. I thought, "Wouldn't it be crazy if it were Trixie?"

Luna was the Queen.

Think about it.

Well it sure sounded like Tabitha's Nightmare Moon voice. Speaking of Luna, after all the "Lol Luna wasn't invited" jokes, it was GREAT to actually see her.

Anyway, wow, what an episode. Did not disappoint. It was most satisfying to not only have a killer new song, but a VILLAIN song, wow! If Discord's return does NOT have a villainous musical number I will be very disappointed.

I'm also so glad they aired these two episodes together. Return of Harmony's cliffhanger really drove me up a wall.

I was pretty weirded out that the Changeling overpowered Celestia. Even with the explanation it sort of goes against but powerful Celestia's been described as being.

Violet_0

Banned
I was pretty weirded out that the Changeling overpowered Celestia. Even with the explanation it sort of goes against but powerful Celestia's been described as being.

Celestia has been overpowered by every major villain in the show so far (Nightmare Moon, Discord, Changeling Queen). Accept the truth, her powers are all smoke and mirrors, she's a pushover.

FillerB

Nightmare moon: Happened at night so maybe her powers were diminished while NMMs got a boost.
Discord: Was told that it took both Luna AND Celestia's AND the Elements combined power to seal in the first. Kinda much to ask for her to do it on herself. Was only defeated through what was essentially a magical suckerpunch.
Changeling: Because it's THE POWAH OF LOVE combined with whatever innate powers the Queen already had.

Besides that what magic have we Celestia actually seen do that couldn't be seen as a subset of "light magic". Bringing clarity of mind (Lesson zero), raising the sun and now some kind of laserbeam that any Unicorn (or atleast Twilight) is perhaps capable of. She's unstoppable in her own element but outside of that? If she was some kind of uber-pegasus why would Shining Armor have to do the forcefield on his own wedding day and not her own lazy royal self?

And for who wants a new avatar

jJbh1oncBSqUP.png
jFxHr2QPLaE9b.png
jUvkGU3orHwJW.png

Nightmare moon: Happened at night so maybe her powers were diminished while NMMs got a boost.
Discord: Was told that it took both Luna AND Celestia's AND the Elements combined power to seal in the first. Kinda much to ask for her to do it on herself. Was only defeated through what was essentially a magical suckerpunch.
Changeling: Because it's THE POWAH OF LOVE combined with whatever innate powers the Queen already had.

Besides that what magic have we Celestia actually do that couldn't be seen as a subset of "light magic". Bringing clarity of mind (Lesson zero), raising the sun and now some kind of laserbeam that any Unicorn (or atleast Twilight) is perhaps capable of. She's unstoppable in her own but outside of that? If she was some kind of uber-pegasus why would Shining Armor have to do the forcefield on his own wedding day and not her own lazy royal self?

And for who wants a new avatar

jJbh1oncBSqUP.png
jFxHr2QPLaE9b.png
jUvkGU3orHwJW.png

I'm totally calling it!

Edit: TY, I was searching for pics online to edit but you saved me the work from doing so

Celestia has been overpowered by every major villain in the show so far (Nightmare Moon, Discord, Changeling Queen). Accept the truth, her powers are all smoke and mirrors, she's a pushover.

Ehhh, this is the first time we've really seen her fight for good reason. With NMM Celestia didn't want to fight against her own sister and put her faith in Twilight and the Elements. Egophilliac's comic is EXACTLY how I imagine Celestia was involved with that.

Discord, there was nothing Celestia had done. The episode establishes that normal magic is near useless on him and his tricks and that ONLY the EoH can do anything to him. Once again, she could do nothing but put faith in Twilight and her friends.

Here there was NOTHING stopping her. It had even appeared Celestia was more powerful, but all that energy Chrysalis drained from Shining Armor was enough to overpower her. Kinda silly, but it makes sense. I thought it was kinda neat that the power of love is so strong it CAN be used against good too and not just evil.

having only seen the premiere, and finale of season 2
i can say that the latter does not compare to the former, at all.

What was your crazy thought process regarding episodes again? I know you'd always mention it, but I forgot. And assuming you mean the S2 Premiere, I dunno, I thought Return of Harmony really needed a Villain song, and the Finale really delivered. And for being an obvious push for Hasbro, Shining Armor (I agree, pretty silly name) wasn't too bad. As for Cadence, I like to think that maybe being an alicorn is a sign of royal blood and not necessarily godhood. Some fanon I've seen is that the real Princess Platinum and Commander Hurricane (from the founding of Equestria story) "got together" to produce a royal line and Cadence is a decendant of that line. Of course, where Luna and Celestia fit in, I'm not too sure, but there seems to be SOME kind of Royal family line as confirmed by Faust. Blueblood was supposed to be part of that line, but maybe he was deemed "unworthy" of the gift of the Alicorn.

Of course, I also like to think, like the Cake Twins, there's a certain unpredictable "magic" that goes into Pony Genetics.

Is anyone else disturbed by Princess Candace's power to make anypony fall in love? Surely it brings into question the validity of Shining Armour's love for her.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ore no Poni ga Konna ni Mahou Wake ga Nai 51+52

I'm been very vocal in the past about my dislike for the adventure-oriented episodes where all shit breaks loose and epic stuff has to happen, but this finale was entertaining nevertheless. Maybe I'm just a cheesy type of guy, but wedding stories hit me deeply and this serial managed to capture the fantastical side of that clusterfuck without cheapening it with theatrics about the end of the world and crap. It was a perfect mixture of seriousness and lightheartedness, and thankfully more of the latter. I don't think it was as strong as last season's finale, but it was nonetheless very entertaining. Some thoughts, however:

*They underplayed the incestuous themes. It looked like Twilight Sparkle was jealous of Cadence because of her oniichan love, but then they just played it as straight possessiveness. Yeah right.
*Fluttershy looked ridiculously moé in that bridesmaid dress.
*What the fuck was up with the way they kept drawing Shining Armour? You can see it clearly in this shot. His profile design has one of his eyes bulging out of his head. It looks creepy as fuck, like his pupil is about to burst out.
*The songs had a definitive Disney-vibe to them. The second one sounded like something Ursula from The Little Mermaid would come up.
*So it's pretty much confirmed ponies have sex. Goddammit.
*Where the fuck are Twilight Sparkle's parents? Are they dead? How did they die? Did Shining Armour enlist into Canterlot's army because he had to take care of his little imouto?

Ore no Poni ga Konna ni Mahou Wake ga Nai FIN

Overall, I thought this season didn't live up to expectations. Too much meandering with unlikable brats and not enough moé featuring the regular cast. There were some gemes here and there, but not enough to retain my hype for next year, especially considering Lauren Faust is gone for realz this time. I give it three out of five Spikes.

$200

Banned
Ore no Poni ga Konna ni Mahou Wake ga Nai FIN

Overall, I thought this season didn't live up to expectations. Too much meandering with unlikable brat and not enough moé featuring the regular cast. There were some gemes here and there, but not enough to retain my hype for next year, especially considering Lauren Faust is gone for realz this time. I give it three out of five Spikes.

image.php

Orcastar

*Where the fuck are Twilight Sparkle's parents? Are they dead? How did they die? Did Shining Armour enlist into Canterlot's army because he had to take care of his little imouto?[/SPOILER]

The real wedding at the end had a shot of their parents. But yeah, they could have featured a bit more prominently.

Powerpuff Ponies!
cdas2fmb.gif

My main qualm with the finale was that the three original bridesmaids got replaced with the crappy mark crusaders. At least they didn't have a speaking part or dominate the episode though. I really hope Season 3 has less of them because their episodes really brought the season down.

Also, I tend to prefer the two-parters with a bit of drama to them, than the standalone episodes. I would love to see more of them, but I don't see it being likely.

Just to be a stickler for accuracy, the CMC were the flower girls and the mane 6 minus Twlight were the replacement bridesmaids.

Theonik

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'd give a tie between Season 1 and 2, just because whole Season 1 had a stronger first half, season 2 had the better second half.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shocking Discovery:

Cadance was voiced by Britt McKillip, who played the younger sister Reggie, in "Dead Like Me". Knew she sounded familiar.

Something something, Lesson Zero, something

S1's first half has Swarm of the Century, Winter Wrap Up, Bridle Gossip, Boast Busters, Griffon the Brush off, and Dragonshy.

Orcastar

Both Twilight and Shining Armor have stars on their cutie marks, indicating magic, but Shining Armor has a shield around his, which probably means that he's especially gifted in protective magic. Shining Armor is also older than Twilight, and Canterlot is slightly bigger than Twilight's library.

I don't see any contradictions here.

Also, magic is not the force.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm calling it, the Luna we see at the end of the finale is the Queen, she reveals herself in the two-parter debut of season 3, she's too big of a match, so they go the "fight fire with fire" plan and free Discord to help them.

BAM, Season 3 Premiere right there.

NEO0MJ

I'm calling it, the Luna we see at the end of the finale is the Queen, she reveals herself in the two-parter debut of season 3, she's too big of a match, so they go the "fight fire with fire" plan and free Discord to help them.

BAM, Season 3 Premiere right there.

And then Derpy beats everyone!

But yeah, episode was fantastic. Twilight having her sad song cut by the Queen was pretty funny.
Also, the return of Applejack's magnificent lie face.

AJ.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Both Twilight and Shining Armor have stars on their cutie marks, indicating magic, but Shining Armor has a shield around his, which probably means that he's especially gifted in protective magic. Shining Armor is also older than Twilight, and Canterlot is slightly bigger than Twilight's library.

I don't see any contradictions here.

Also, magic is not the force.

The dude is called Shining Armor.

He's the captain of the Royal Guard.

Protection is his thing.

Jarmel

Banned
So who is Twilight's family? I thought they were regular ponies but Twilight had a freaking princess as a babysitter.

Oh and lol at the villain disregarding the power of love even though she just used it to beat Celestia.

brian577

Banned
So who is Twilight's family? I thought they were regular ponies but Twilight had a freaking princess as a babysitter.

Twilight probably moved into the castle when she was accepted into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns so Cadence looked after her.

Drac

Twilight probably moved into the castle when she was accepted into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns so Cadence looked after her.

Nope, her flank was blank in the flashbacks, and we know Twilight got her cutie park when she got taken in as Celestia disciple. (god why do I see those details...)

Can't believe season 2 has ended :( I don't know what I'll be looking forward to each Sunday now.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Cadance sucks and devalues the status of being an alicorn and a princess.

If she was just a regular unicorn and not royal, the story would have been exactly the same.

But that would have affected their marketing for the episodes, now wouldn't it.
I agree with this. The fact that they didn't even bother explaining what her relationship with Celestia and Luna is only emphasized this problem. Is "princess" even a royalty title at this time, or just what they call winged unicorns? If so, this doesn't explain Prince Blueblood, to be certain.

I loved this finale, but it could have been done just as well if Cadence was a regular unicorn.

Also, I would have loved to see Celestia put up more resistance to Chrysalis. And I think that the episode spent too much time on setup that could have been spent on a more elaborate resolution.

Maybe what I'm saying is just that I would have liked this story to be feature length.

Nope, her flank was blank in the flashbacks, and we know Twilight got her cutie park when she got taken in as Celestia disciple. (god why do I see those details...)
Probably a slip by storyboarders or animators, in my opinion. I really can't see what would be the rationale for Twilight being babysat by a princess before she got to know Celestia.

Psxphile

Wasn't it rumoured early on in Season 2 (possibly before Return of Harmony aired) that the season would introduce a new villain that would remain a viable threat straight into Season 3? Everyone assumed it had to be Discord, but now we have a changeling Queen with her eyes on Equestria and an army to back her up.

Wait... I see another Star Trek parallel here.

Theonik

Probably a slip by storyboarders or animators, in my opinion. I really can't see what would be the rationale for Twilight being babysat by a princess before she got to know Celestia.
We don't know what Twilight's social status was. For all we know her parents could have been friends of the royal family or something similar. Would also explain partly how their children ended up in the positions they did.
The whole show continuity and "royalty" backstory is quite a mess at this moment. They should have definitely kept it like it was before Faust left and made Cadence a unicorn.

McNum

Oh for the love of...

You know Twilight's BBBFF song in part 1? Fun song, kind of nice. Then at the end, it has a dark reprise. Well, if you know your music theory, and have a sharp ear, you'll know what's going to happen next. Because the end of the dark reprise uses a note pattern called a "Deceptive Cadence". Guess who walks into the picture just after that.

I got it from this Reddit post, and you know, could be a wild over-analysis, right? It's not. It's intentional.

Well played, Daniel Ingram, well played indeed.

Orcastar

Wasn't it rumoured early on in Season 2 (possibly before Return of Harmony aired) that the season would introduce a new villain that would remain a viable threat straight into Season 3? Everyone assumed it had to be Discord, but now we have a changeling Queen with her eyes on Equestria and an army to back her up.

Wait... I see another Star Trek parallel here.

John de Lancie has already confirmed that he recorded more stuff for the series just a few months ago, so Discord will definitely return in season 3. Of course that doesn't mean Chrysalis couldn't return too.

NEO0MJ

Oh for the love of...

You know Twilight's BBBFF song in part 1? Fun song, kind of nice. Then at the end, it has a dark reprise. Well, if you know your music theory, and have a sharp ear, you'll know what's going to happen next. Because the end of the dark reprise uses a note pattern called a "Deceptive Cadence". Guess who walks into the picture just after that.

I got it from this Reddit post, and you know, could be a wild over-analysis, right? It's not. It's intentional.

Damn, the fans are good.

Black-Box

Haha, I actually thought the same thing. I thought, "Wouldn't it be crazy if it were Trixie?"

Well it sure sounded like Tabitha's Nightmare Moon voice. Speaking of Luna, after all the "Lol Luna wasn't invited" jokes, it was GREAT to actually see her.

Anyway, wow, what an episode. Did not disappoint. It was most satisfying to not only have a killer new song, but a VILLAIN song, wow! If Discord's return does NOT have a villainous musical number I will be very disappointed.

I'm also so glad they aired these two episodes together. Return of Harmony's cliffhanger really drove me up a wall.

Luna can only come out at night, thats why she wasn't there till the end
, idk why people kept saying she wasn't invited

Theonik

Oh for the love of...

The fans saw through his deceptive deceptive cadence. Nice.
John de Lancie has already confirmed that he recorded more stuff for the series just a few months ago, so Discord will definitely return in season 3. Of course that doesn't mean Chrysalis couldn't return too.
It still doesn't necessarily mean discord is getting released again. Could be new lines for a flashback or some sort of recollection of Luna's and Celestia's battle with him.

Amazing season finale.
Meta Spike playing eith the figurines, Queen Chrysalis, Pinkie Pie, Twilight going mad because she was right, Applejack when she put her hat back, Luna shouting from the tower....
Daniel Ingram is fucking incredible. Dat Villian song with its reprise.

If John de Lancie gets a villian song in season 3 I could die of happiness.

IMO Season 2 was better than season 1. Hope that not having Rob Renzetti as the storyboard director doesnt take a hit in the visual gags and the presentation of season 3.

Top Bottom