• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name a Game You're Embarrassed To Admit That You Suck At

This is in response to another thread going around about Ninja Gaiden; some are happy with the possibility of a re-release that includes easier difficulty setting, and others are laughing at the first group.

I've been playing games consistently for over 20 years and am pretty damn good... at most of them. But there's a few titles that I really suck at, often for unexplained reasons. And I'm sure others are in the same boat.

So let me start: I truly suck at both Mega Man Zero and Mega Man Zero 2. Especially the first one; I don't think I've ever beaten a single boss in that game yet.

Spill your guts people... I know I'm not the only one here who's weaksauce.

GhaleonEB

I'm not embarrassed about it, but I really suck at GUNVALKYRIE - so much so that I returned it for credit after a few weeks. Never could beat the first boss, and I played him about twenty times. That control scheme was a nighmare.

Gek54

WRC3 apparently. I am 15th fastest in the world. I dont know how some of these people are getting 3+ minutes on me in a 45min rally.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Sports games - Madden specifically. I played 4 years of high school football on a great team (we went undefeated my freshman / sophomore years on the freshman / JV team) and went to the state semifinals my senior year - and yet I'm hopeless against everyone I play against in Madden. I'm easily the worst of all of my college friends, even the kids who don't even know how to throw a football.

I think it's because I'm too conservative and run the ball too much, what a real football coach might do. Unfortunately, Madden and it's ilk love to let you convert the 4th-and-14.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Mega Man Zero makes me cry. It's too damn hard to play that type of Mega Man game on a portable. But I'm not embarassed by it since a lot of people have trouble with the game as well

Any sports game is death for me, which is why I never play them!

Defender is mine as well. It's not so much that I suck at it as it is that I still don't "get it" after all these years. I should really take the time one of these days to get it down and try to discover its true genius, because everyone I know who understands the game absolutely loves it.

stonedwal

There's quite a few I could list, but the most recent case was Madden 2004. Rented it the other week, and hadn't played a Madden game since 2001 on the PS2, and I somehow managed to lose my first five games on Pro before I went and tinkered with the AI.

Amusing, because I used to be able to hold my own against the 2001 game on All Madden.

Wario64 said:
Mega Man Zero makes me cry. It's too damn hard to play that type of Mega Man game on a portable. But I'm not embarassed by it since a lot of people have trouble with the game as well!

This game absolutely kicks my ass. While I've managed to make progress in it, I'm still maybe only five areas in. It took me many, many tries just to beat that guy in the trash compactor. The bosses are just insanely hard, even after leveling up my saber and blaster.

Alright, I guess I don't feel too bad about sucking at the Mega Man Zeroes.

But the thing is, I'm no master at Defender, though I can hang in there, but even if I couldn't, I still love the game. Those two Mega Man Zeroes on the other hand are hard to the point where I just don't even want to give it a chance. Everytime I fire one of them up, I get murdered and I simply turn the game off.

Other games I'm willing to go for another round, but those two, it's just doesn't feel worth it. I think I'm going to trade them in for something else tomorrow.

Troidal

C&C, Starcraft...the whole RTS bunch.

I think I could play this better if you just had ONE giant fucking map of the game, and have touch screen features so you can just point and make em do things so easily. None of that drag the mouse and click crap. Hey, a man can dream right?

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
strategy RPGs rape me. it took me hours just to make it past the first few battles of final fantasy tactics - and then i made it to the map with the archers and stopped playing. fuck that game.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
F-Zero on GC is really the only game that has put me to shame. I'm sad that I never unlocked everythign in that game... :(

I think I had 2 cups to go on master mode or something.

other than that... I only really suck at the games in genres that I don't like. I mean I'm sure I suck ass at madden seeing as I've never played a madden game in my life.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
to those talking about megaman zero... its really a matter of just getting used to the bosses. I went from "wtf I can't beat a single fucking boss" to "eh, this ain't so bad" in the matter of a few days.

Drey1082

Gran Turismo 3

I just can't do realistic racers i guess. I like the game, but I have no idea how to improve on cars and make them better. All I can ususally get is an extremely fast car that I can't control at all.

FortNinety said:
Other games I'm willing to go for another round, but those two, it's just doesn't feel worth it. I think I'm going to trade them in for something else tomorrow.

If you wanna sell Zero 2, I'm buying - I played through the original (I thought it was hard, but not impossible) and have been looking for a deal on number 2! :D

Every Resident Evil. I can't get past the first 20 minutes of the first.

Tomb Raider. Couldn't beat the first level of either TR1 or TR2.

For the guys who are complaining about Mega Man Zero -- I feel that way about every Mega Man.

DCX

DCX
Mortal Kombat :( I did pretty good, but i'm more of a Capcom fighting game type of guy, i had a hard time getting into MVC 2, but with some guidance from some " pros " i'm pretty good at that.

DCX

Raw64life

Madden. When I'm playing Madden, I usually just mash buttons when picking plays. It seems to work better than when I try to play normally.

Pretty much any fighting-game, although Soul Calibur probably tops the list. I don't have the patience or finesse to learn them.

I, too, can't play RTSes to save my life. I try, and try, and try, and about the time I get past the tutorial gathering maps and onto the "enemies actually attack you" maps it's ALL OVER.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Nerevar said:
Sports games - Madden specifically. I played 4 years of high school football on a great team (we went undefeated my freshman / sophomore years on the freshman / JV team) and went to the state semifinals my senior year - and yet I'm hopeless against everyone I play against in Madden. I'm easily the worst of all of my college friends, even the kids who don't even know how to throw a football.

And dual analogue FPSes...although, once in a while, I'll get in some "Zone" and start owning everyone. Then I'll go back to normal, sucky FT.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Counter-Strike.

I am very good at 3d shooters, noo ego here, but I consistantly am in the top 3 on pretty much any 3d shooter I play. For some reason though, I absolutely positively blow chunks at Counter-Strike. Like WAY suck. Its very odd.

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
I suck at Final Fantasy Tactics... bad. got to the part where you face off with some wizards (A few maps in.) and died. Repeatedly. I just couldn't take it, and never played the game again :(.

DrLazy

Any FPS with dual analogue. I use to rule at Bond back in the day, but my thumbs just don't work in cunjuction like that anymore. Funny, because I'm awesome at Robotron.

Apparently I suck at MGS:TTS. I played the original at my friends quiet a bit back in the day. I swear to god they must of upped the AI, because I rented Twin Snakes this week and it just raped me. I'n too impatient, the guards would do massive searches, and the controls sucked so bad it was hard enough just figuring out what button to press.

calder

Homeworld.

I am pure concentrated ownage at most every RTS I care to play... but Homeworld I literally can not get past the fourth or fifth mission. I. Just. Can't.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I suck at most RTS games, which is why I don't play online. I still enjoy playing the single player portions :)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Stealth and FPS games... and if they are combined then I really blow....

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Dyne said:
Yeah, I suck at Advance Wars too, but that just keeps me playing even more..

It's a vicious cycle.

Anyone who sucks at Advance Wars should visit Advance Wars Net! Besides having full guides for both campaigns in both games, it has over 1500 fan-made maps sent in, war room strategies, etc etc!

/shameless plug

(I founded that site, but don't run it anymore)

Top Bottom