• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Announces Development Delay on TLoU MP (MP Dev Team 'Significantly Scaled Down,' Bloomberg Reports)

reksveks

Shit, If Sony suddenly decides to Kill all this Gaas shit, what is their release schedule going to look like over the next couple of years?
It's not going to happen, they just had a business segment where they showed their investment per genre. We are missing some key info from those slides but we know the gaas is going to be a growing but minority share of their games.

geary

The TLOU part1 pc port wasnt done by ND, it was made by same studio that botched Arkham Knight pc port back in 2015, and its already fixed btw ;)
Not a fan of story/takes in TLOU2 here either ;)
Actually it was done by ND internal team, not Iron Galaxy.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It's not going to happen, they just had a business segment where they showed their investment per genre. We are missing some key info from those slides but we know the gaas is going to be a growing but minority share of their games.

Sony just want quality and not just releasing a bunch of GaaS games. Looking at them strictly will give us better quality games then when they just burning money into them, just to have GaaS.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

If this where 343 this thread would be 1,437 pages of venom.

They should probably shut down naughty Dog over this.
Right, cause 343i was known for putting out GOTY titles left & right & they ended up fumbling this one time... These moronic takes on GAF are becoming too common now.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

cormack12

Gold Member
I think the biggest problem is that if you are creating a GaaS now it needs to displace am established ip to be long term successful, or be completely new in terms of genre or something.

Especially all these f2p models. The floor is littered with carcasses of ip. We see the same pattern: game releases and is f2p. Engagement is through the roof and then drops off a cliff after a month as people return to their known quantities and games.

The thing that worries me (generally) is that being able to just deliver one successful GaaS within 5-7 years is worth the cost of the failures.

reksveks

Sony just want quality and not just releasing a bunch of GaaS games. Looking at them strictly will give us better quality games then when they just burning money into them, just to have GaaS.
1) quality is kinda a subjective term based on what a person wants
2) Sony like any company wants money, individual devs/studios may want quality.
3) this link to quality and profitablity/revenue obviously isn't a given.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Right, cause 343i was known for putting out GOTY titles left & right & they ended up fumbling this one time... These moronic takes on GAF are becoming too common now.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Really I was was trying to say that 343, while not putting out game of the year material, does actually have a track record of pretty good games that sell really well.
I do give up though.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I thought gaas was planned ro be like 50 to 60 percent of their output?

Last edited:

Fabieter

In my mind, it's no different from time-gated special event content that only persists in-game for the duration of a seasonal event. You could make the exact same logical argument that content is being removed from the game that you paid for. But no one does because it makes sense and is for a reasonable reason. D2's content vaulting was equally so

Well looking at something like final fantasy xiv, it would never makes sense to drop story parts out. There are also seasonal events but you didnt directly paid for it. Fortnite swaping up content on a seasonal basis but you don't pay for any of that content.

I agree. They didn't communicate it well or far enough ahead beforehand. But it's a difficult thing to communicate a shitty thing you have to do for technical reasons to a largely non-technically literate consumer base. Gamers are the worst for only hearing partial information and then rushing off to spread misinformation

I agree I would expect some goodies for content vaulting I paid for. But it doesn't matter really because its highly likely that iam not the target audience of any of those games.

That's just hyperbole and your own speculation. They've pivoted on the direction of development. It makes sense when a project is headed in a direction that isn't working.

Considering the projects ND has worked on for the last decade, it's unsurprising that the development of a VASTLY different kind of game would not go 100% smoothly. Creative development is a messy process regardless of the talent of the team, the maturity of the tools, or the shrewdness of the managers. Now throw a game genre that puts your largely SP-focused dev team far outside their comfort zone and it's gonna risk a few project restarts.

Game development is iterative by nature, and sometimes a significant rework is needed to ensure a project's success. This is basically the story of virtually every Rockstar game over the past 20 years. So some dev trouble doesn't mean the game won't make it.

Stop being so neurotic.

My problem lies that sony told us that it won't take resources away from their sp games but if that's the case than not a single sp game studio should work on a gaas because if one gets big than they need all hands on deck. I know this and it's probably what bungie told them. And as a primary sp gamer that makes me sick that I will have less to play in the future.

You don't have to purchase the seasonal premium content. You can still experience most of the seasonal storyline, gameplay modes and content without paying. So really it's the expansions that are the major cost factor.

That said, $100 for quarterly seasonal content drops that amount to something two whole game's worth, plus an annual expansion that is easily an entire game's worth of content is an amazing deal. D2 players only bitch about the price when the quality isn't there. And that hasn't been the case since year one.

You can complain about pricing, but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that Bungie is one of the best Live Service game developers out there.

Well I have to take you by your word. Iam sometimes in a destiny 2 reddit and there is some moaning about the price content ratio. So I don't think its everything fine and cool.

But it doesnt matter really. It sounds like iam not the target audience for this.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Investment iirc, but there is obviously going to be a time delay between investment and release. The second unknown is the investment per release and obviously that isn't the same for a gaas and a sp game.

Ahh, of course. Thanks for that, I didn't think. So obviously, the investment up front could be massive compared to a single player game but they would expect much more of a long term return so it makes sense.

ProtoByte

While I personally would not want to try something that is outside of my studio's forte, without having another of our usual projects in the works simultaneously, I think it also comes down to what the studio really wanted to do. If they decided on their own that they really wanted to pursue this, so be it. If that's what they were passionate about, let them pursue it. Don't force them to work on something they don't want to or tell them they can't try something they really want to. That's how you lose talent. That's how you stagnate your teams. Sony shouldn't be going around telling these studios "no" to what they want to work on. But, they should advise against it if they feel it might not be a good idea. With the understanding that should they waste a bunch of time and money, there are consequences.
Basically this.
Although, I really hope not every good SP studio under PlayStation has to learn the hard way.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It would likely be for the best. IMO Sony rushed into their GaaS strategy too big, too quickly. The focus should probably ideally be on 3 GaaS titles, at least in terms of big ones.

And those should've been counter-balanced with smaller, quirkier concept games that had the framework to grow into bigger GaaS offerings if they took off (I'm talking stuff akin to a Fall Guys, Among Us etc. Stuff that stands out in the market heavily compared to other FPS, looter shooters etc.).

The problem is what 3? It's really hard to make these games, even good ones fail, and the stuff that does blow up seemingly does so out of luck more than anything. Fall Guys was a meme and a fad basically, although it does seem to have found its rhythm. Based on news the past few weeks, Sony is clearly trying to prioritize here. They realized that "Factions 2" and the Deviation game were not working out so are cutting their losses early.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You think these huge selling single player games are making Sony think twice? Or maybe they are looking at the showcase ba leash and saying “ what are all our studios doing? … mp and add ons?!! Cut that shit right now and get them on new things!!”

I see it as a good thing that they wouldn’t waste time and money on something not many people want.

HTK

Banned
Not gonna pretend like I know what’s going on, I hope all is good with Factions and that they continue working on it. If it gets outright cancelled I think it’ll be a missed opportunity but I won’t lose any sleep over things I can’t control.

They are a competent studio so we’ll see in due time.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
You think these huge selling single player games are making Sony think twice? Or maybe they are looking at the showcase ba leash and saying “ what are all our studios doing? … mp and add ons?!! Cut that shit right now and get them on new things!!”

I see it as a good thing that they wouldn’t waste time and money on something not many people want.
I think Sony is correct to cancel something that is in a bad state which factions probably was. Just scrap what is left and work towards releasing the third game complete.

diffusionx

Gold Member

No, I think the A-B acquisition put fear into Sony, and made them realize they can't just focus on one thing and cut deals with third parties for the rest, not when their competitor is rapacious about buying up third parties and also has no qualms about abandoning the PlayStation platform.

As great as Sony's singleplayer gmaes are, and as well as they sell, normies playing Madden/FIFA/COD is by far the biggest PS audience. EA has been fishing for an acquisition for years, A-B well... the fact is, Sony will be focusing a lot of resources into multiplayer, but it's also a segment with a lot more misses than hits.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member

I think Sony was reviewing games for the showcase and noticed a bunch of stinkers and signs of development hell. So they restructured and cancelled projects like normal We just happened to both see it publicly and see it happen to a big IP related project which is unusual.

I agree it's a good thing but the competition got made fun for releasing a bad games so people are now equating cancelling them with releasing them.

ND as a studio has never made a Live Service game before, and MP at that.

Where were you back then, if I may ask? I'm surprised old GAFfers didn't bother to mention ND's MP past.

Sony doesn't have to do a lot... they don't have to go on full tryhard mode to make yet another BR spin-off.

Most successful/beloved games these days are remasters/remakes, not new IPs. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing. From Metal Gear Solid to Resident Evil. People want their nostalgia fix.

Abandon all BR-esque projects (most/all of them are gonna fail due to market saturation) and remaster some old, abandoned IPs.

There's a lack of linear/old school MP in the market, so Sony can fill that niche. No need to compete against Fortnite/Apex Legends.

Last edited:
This thread is absolutely baffling to me. A top tier studio with pretty much a perfect track record delays a game and everyone is now calling the studio trash and poorly managed.

I feel like I am in a thread full of upset children who didn't get cake along with the ice cream because mom got called into work and the children are too spoiled and refuse to be understanding. This is a bit insane, and way blown out of proportion, you guys need to relax no offense.

I am sure a top tier studio knows what they are doing. There is a reason why they are top tier and you need to be a bit more trustworthy imo.
Although gameplaywise and presentation-wise TLoU2 was a top-tier quality game, the story and direction taken was divisive to say the least and many would say a step down from the first. Secondly, every Naughty Dog game since Uncharted 2 has included a multiplayer mode, so not including one in TLoU2 automatically decreased the value of the overall package. ND tried to assuage the issue by reassuring fans that multiplayer was not included due to how expansive and content-filler the multiplayer would be, yet after 3 years there is nothing to show and we are getting news that development is in shambles. I think people have a right to feel upset and worried.

Where were you back then, if I may ask? I'm surprised old GAFfers didn't bother to mention ND's MP past.

Sony doesn't have to do a lot... they don't have to go on full tryhard mode to make yet another BR spin-off.

Most successful/beloved games these days are remasters/remakes, not new IPs. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing. From Metal Gear Solid to Resident Evil. People want their nostalgia fix.

Abandon all BR-esque projects (most/all of them are gonna fail due to market saturation) and remaster some old, abandoned IPs.

There's a lack of linear/old school MP in the market, so Sony can fill that niche. No need to compete against Fortnite/Apex Legends.

None of those MP modes for largely SP games contitute a Live Service game.

yurinka

Shit, If Sony suddenly decides to Kill all this Gaas shit, what is their release schedule going to look like over the next couple of years?
PS Studios has over 25 games under development, of which 12 are GaaS. So they have over a dozen non-GaaS PS Studios in development, plus the GaaS and non-GaaS 3rd party exclusives they get from both AAA publishers and indies.

It's dumb and nonsensical to consider they'd kill all their GaaS, when we know for a fact that they plan to keep growing their investment on GaaS and have some of the most successful and talented GaaS devs of the world on board at studios like Bungie, Firewalk or Haven. Who also the best ones building new IPs, Destiny was the fastest selling new IP ever and before that Watchdogs or Assassin's Creed achieved similar records. And there's Naughty Dog too.

Some game may get a delay, some other game may be cancelled. As always happened in game development both with GaaS and non-GaaS. But coming from these devs, most games will be released, will be well received by the reviews and will perform very well in sales. Even a handful of them will be super huge successes, more than any previous Sony games.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PS Studios has over 25 games under development, of which 12 are GaaS. So they have over a dozen non-GaaS PS Studios in development, plus the GaaS and non-GaaS 3rd party exclusives they get from both AAA publishers and indies.

It's dumb and nonsensical to consider they'd kill all their GaaS, when we know for a fact that they plan to keep growing their investment on GaaS and have some of the most successful and talented GaaS devs of the world on board at studios like Bungie, Firewalk or Haven. Who also the best ones building new IPs, Destiny was the fastest selling new IP ever and before that Watchdogs or Assassin's Creed achieved similar records. And there's Naughty Dog too.

Some game may get a delay, some other game may be cancelled. As always happened in game development both with GaaS and non-GaaS. But coming from these devs, most games will be released, will be well received by the reviews and will perform very well in sales. Even a handful of them will be super huge successes, more than any previous Sony games.
I say to Sony....

Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

yurinka

I thought gaas was planned ro be like 50 to 60 percent of their output?
No, they are not. 50 to 60 percent of money invested that fiscal year, not the amount of released games or amount of games under development.

Each GaaS is way more expensive to make than a non-GaaS due to server costs, maintenance and development of new game updates adding new content, features, fixes, balancing, marketing and so on.

So that means that the percent of their GaaS games under development/released will be lower than the non-GaaS one.

UNCHARTED 5, LAST OF US 3, JAK AND DAXTER OR A NEW IP ???
Half of the more than 25 games under development at PS Studios are new IPs. Also, after Destiny 2 Bungie said they wanted to release at least one new IP before 2025, meaning that they are working on more than one (I assume that when saying that they were counting Marathon as new IP even if it isn't technically one).

Last edited:
Considering the Bungie criticism is that they are worried it can't hold users long term that doesn't sound like a reason to even consider a cancellation.

Nothing about that says the game is bad. More just sounds like they think people will play it for a few weeks or months and then stop.

So sounds like it needs more content and if they aren't willing to do that then why wouldn't you just release it.

Even Factions original had a small but dedicated long term userbase. Worst case this would do the same.

Holding users as GAAS is very difficult long term. More fail than succeed and I'd be willing to bet 90+% of Sony's GAAS will not hold a long term user base even if they are really good games.

You ignored all the links I gave you, just because you love moving the goalposts (what constitutes a GaaS).

A live service game doesn't have to be an MMO or a Battle Royale.

Don't be obtuse. That was the old definition of GaaS.

That's not what it means today.

If it was, Gaf wouldn't be raging because everything AAA is GaaS according to your definition.

Last edited:
Bungie making sure they earn that price tag. People baulked at the buyout cost, but so far they look to be a bargain.

Destiny 2
Marathon
Matter
Mobile title
Consultancy for GAAS games. Stepping in to say Deviation’s game and this game either aren’t good enough or have little replay value will ultimately save Sony tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars.

Given Sony have:

Fairgame$ (Heist GAAS)
Concord (PVP GAAS)
Destiny 2
Marathon (extraction GAAS)
Twisted Metal (Car combat GAAS)

Do they really need much else?

Last edited:
Bungie making sure they earn that price tag. People baulked at the buyout cost, but so far they look to be a bargain.

Destiny 2
Marathon
Matter
Mobile title
Consultancy for GAAS games. Stepping in to say Deviation’s game and this game either aren’t good enough or have little replay value will ultimately save Sony tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars.

Given Sony have:

Fairgame$ (Heist GAAS)
Concord (PVP GAAS)
Destiny 2
Marathon (extraction GAAS)
Twisted Metal (Car combat GAAS)

Do they really need much else?
if all of those hit...Sony becoming the next Trillion company. but the chances of that happening is %001

if all of those hit...Sony becoming the next Trillion company. but the chances of that happening is %001
They know they won’t all hit. Bungie’s have the best chance (mainly because they can access every player base) but I suspect some will be slow burn projects like Sea of Thieves

Don't be obtuse. That was the old definition of GaaS.

That's not what it means today.

If it was, Gaf wouldn't be raging because everything AAA is GaaS according to your definition.
Don't be obtuse.

Why should an echo chamber opinion (SP = "good" / MP = "bad") matter? Is it objective somewhat? Are you some sort of committee that decides what gets done or not?

The truth is, GaaS is a very broad term that encompasses many genres. GaaS is like a living organism, a game that evolves with multiple updates/new content.

Even the last Assassin's Creed games (yes, they're AAA) are considered GaaS. Even No Man's Sky is GaaS.

Educate yourself (your words, not mine). I can be passive aggressive too. See? It's not that hard. What's hard is bringing actual evidence to the table (like I did) and not constantly moving the goalposts (like you do).

Have you ever played ND MP games? Because if you did, you would have known they're chock full of predatory MTX (including weapons in TLOU1).

tmlDan

1) quality is kinda a subjective term based on what a person wants
2) Sony like any company wants money, individual devs/studios may want quality.
3) this link to quality and profitablity/revenue obviously isn't a given.
I disagree, i would say games like Apex, Fortnite, and Warzone are all high quality games and the higher quality the higher chance of success in GaaS.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Considering the Bungie criticism is that they are worried it can't hold users long term that doesn't sound like a reason to even consider a cancellation.

Nothing about that says the game is bad. More just sounds like they think people will play it for a few weeks or months and then stop.

So sounds like it needs more content and if they aren't willing to do that then why wouldn't you just release it.

Even Factions original had a small but dedicated long term userbase. Worst case this would do the same.

Holding users as GAAS is very difficult long term. More fail than succeed and I'd be willing to bet 90+% of Sony's GAAS will not hold a long term user base even if they are really good games.

It sounds to me like they need to put Factions into TLOU3 and call it a day.

Factions is going to be like Red Dead Online if Rockstar gave a shit. Wanna bet that we get a character face creator that is used in insanely detailed mo-cap cutscenes.

It's literally going to look real. Let them take their time.

It sounds to me like they need to put Factions into TLOU3 and call it a day.

Just because Bungie are worried it won't hold long term userbase? Seems a Jump to get to that. Although if the option is that or cancel then yes bundle it with Part 3.

Hell if the game is good (which this report doesn't dispute) just release it in the next year and see how it does.

We've seen other GAAS game grow and improve over time as well.

If they wanted a guaranteed sauccss GAAS isn't the way to achieve that.

Like chances are if Fortnite or PUBG Devs made a new GAAS that was in a different universe those wouldn't be guarantees either. GAAS are a mad world. If they hit your golden but the chances of it are very very small.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just because Bungie are worried it won't hold long term userbase? Seems a Jump to get to that. Although if the option is that or cancel then yes bundle it with Part 3.

Hell if the game is good (which this report doesn't dispute) just release it in the next year and see how it does.

We've seen other GAAS game grow and improve over time as well.

If they wanted a guaranteed sauccss GAAS isn't the way to achieve that.

Like chances are if Fortnite or PUBG Devs made a new GAAS that was in a different universe those wouldn't be guarantees either. GAAS are a mad world. If they hit your golden but the chances of it are very very small.

The bolded is why I'm so disappointed in Jimbo's Playstation. He doesn't seem to get how GAAS is a mad world.

Top Bottom