• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Announces Development Delay on TLoU MP (MP Dev Team 'Significantly Scaled Down,' Bloomberg Reports)

Flabagast

Since they are specifically addressing the letter to Last of Us fans, does it imply that the new single player project will be Last of Us AGAIN ?

Man, we are never getting a new IP

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I wonder if it will be free to play or a full price title? I hope we can disable all the immersion breaking colorful guns that it will probably have.

Last edited:

MirageMew2

They’re dragging ass at this point. 6 years of dev time for Part 2 and now 3 years since launch. For a game that was originally the multiplayer of a PS4 game! And no doubt it’ll be free-to-play live-service, this definitely needs to be a home run but I need to see more by now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's actually been in development since 2018, so 5 years. lolololol
They also paused development for some time when all hands were needed on deck for getting Part 2 out there door. Probably redesigned a lot of the game from a standard mode the first Factions was as well. Since that won't fly in current year.

Luigi Mario

I constantly see certain members on here praising The Last of Us 2 and how smart it was to spinoff Factions as it's own thing, when in reality it probably destroyed the core of the studio, remember 70% turnover rate during TLoU2 development, and Factions is apparently in development hell or outright canceled now.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Hugare

Let them cook

But seriously, at least a small cutscene or vertical slice in Outbreak Day, ND. C'mon now.

Factions being in development hell doesnt surprise me.

Development beginning 3 years after shipping TLOU2 does. What were they doing the last three years? Herman? Hello?

Who told you that they've just started developing it?

It's been (supposedly) in development even before TLOU's launch

what hurts the most is that so much time and effort is being put not even into a traditional bombastic single player experience that ND are best at

their resources are being poured into a fucking live service game, i hate the new era of PlayStation
ND always had the A and B teams working on their own projects at the same time: TLOU while making U3, TLOU 2 while making U4, now this while working on TLOU 2 and new SP game while working on this.

Rest easy, as soon as they finish this they will have all hands on deck for the next SP game

near

Gold Member
They also paused development for some time when all hands were needed on deck for getting Part 2 out there door. Probably redesigned a lot of the game from a standard mode the first Factions was as well. Since that won't fly in current year.

Is that confirmed tho? Because I recall Druckmann stating the following year sometime in 2019 that they would be focusing on the single player mode, and would continue developing the multiplayer mode separately.

DonJorginho

Banned
It started production after shipping TLOU 2 in 2020, as officially confirmed by Naughty Dog. So it has been less than 3 years.
It carried over the work from development of TLOU 2, so definitely longer than 3 years all in all, active work on it solely just began after shipping TLOU 2.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's actually been in development since 2018, so 5 years. lolololol
I was talking about their SP game, but yeah factions was already in development when they announced it in 2019.

I think Neil making the tv show fucked up their plans for their next game. The factions team was already separate. Some of the TLOU2 guys went on to make the remake but i highly doubt the majority of writers, level desginers and engineers did anything with that game. They probably all just waited for Neil to finish his tv show and that likely cost the SP team 3 years.

People dont realize this but ND is a very efficient studio almost on par with fromsoft and insomniac. They released Uncharted 4 three years after TLOU. Lost legacy 14 months after U4, and TLOU2 less than 3 years after Lost Legacy. 3 years is what they take to put out AAA games. And here we are three years later, and we didnt even get a sneakpeak from them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well, if it takes time, it takes time. This is their 1st attempt at this, so it's all good. Just make it the best you can.

I'm just incredibly happy about the new single-player IP announcement! First new IP by Naughty Dog after 10 years. 🔥

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It carried over the work from development of TLOU 2, so definitely longer than 3 years all in all, active work on it solely just began after shipping TLOU 2.
It'll be using TLOU 2 assets for sure, but the entire studio was crunching to ship TLOU 2. TLOU Online was not in any level of production until they had shipped TLOU 2 in June 2020.

Full production started after June 2020, so it has been less than 3 years. Which is completely fine for a full-scaled project.

Flabagast

The concept of a « double » team is 90% of the time pure bullshit to appease the fans. It mostly means that the preproduction of the next title is in parallel of the main development with the full bulk of the team on the current one.

Don’t expect their next SP game before end 2026 at the earliest, unless you wanna desillusion yourself of course

Last edited:

Chronicle

There doi g as I said they would in another thread. SONY studios will take this week to update and inform us on projects. They'll come.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is that confirmed tho? Because I recall Druckmann stating the following year sometime in 2019 that they would be focusing on the single player mode, and would continue developing the multiplayer mode separately.
Which reads to me like skeleton crew on multiplayer or redesign phase. The focus was on single player.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The concept of a « double » team is 90% of the time pure bullshit to appease the fans. It mostly means that the preproduction of the next title is in parallel of the main development with the full bulk of the team on the current one.

Don’t expect their next SP game before end 2026 at the earliest, unless you wanna desillusion yourself of course
If they release the new game in 2026, it'd be fucking amazing.

TLOU 2 in 2020.
TLOU Remake in 2022.
TLOU Online in 2024*
New IP in 2026

That's an excellent cadence.

P.S. They are also co-developing Uncharted with a new PlayStation Studios team.

Last edited:
This mode was axed 9 months out from the launch of TLOU2.

They finessed everyone by saying they got "inspired" to make the multi-player bigger/better, etc.

This was, and is, in serious development hell.

Best of luck to the team.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Another reason why Insomniac >>> Naughty Dog.

(not saying ND are bad before anyone gets butthurt, but their output since Uncharted 3 has been awful in terms of gaps between releases.)
???

2011: UC3
2013: The Last of Us
2016: Uncharted 4
2017: Uncharted Lost Legacy
2020: The Last of Us: Part II
2024: Factions 2
2025: Probably new SP game

not to mention a bunch or ports and remasters/remakes in between those years.

This is Arguably the most consistent release schedule of the last decade. Too 5 undoubtedly.

All quality. And All of those games are larger (minus lost legacy) and of higher quality than anything Insomniac has ever made.

You should be giving SSM the smoke.

Draugoth

Gold Member
This mode was axed 9 months out from the launch of TLOU2.

They finessed everyone by saying they got "inspired" to make the multi-player bigger/better, etc.

This was, and is, in serious development hell.

Best of luck to the team.

I would be taking my sweet time if it meant not releasing shit like Redfall and Babylon's Fall anyway

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Yup! This is exactly why I roll my eyes at people who think GAAS games don't detract from the development of single player games. GAAS require a ton money, people, and resources and most of them bomb afterwards.
Who said they didn't? Many Devs that are assigned to the multiplayer project could be working on the SPs projects.

It's not rocket science.

Top Bottom