• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Announces Development Delay on TLoU MP (MP Dev Team 'Significantly Scaled Down,' Bloomberg Reports)

This MP project is definitely in development hell, it's been in the works since pre TLOU2.

Late 2024 at best imo.
Def not fair to characterize as "development hell". It's not been in development since before TLOU2. Maybe conceptually the game was, but it surely didn't go into full production until after TLOU2 was released almost exactly 3 years ago. And really its more like 2.5 years of development time because of Covid. Also, I don't think people realize how massive this game will potentially be. To please fans, Naughty Dog will need to release the traditional factions mode from TLOU as well as the PvPvE story driven mode that has been mentioned. And nowadays, if you want your GAAS game to survive, you probably want 6months to a years worth of content ready before launch. So hopefully this delay means they are including all of the needed content to satisfy fans.

daclynk

oh boy dunk GIF

Last edited:
The positives of that statement is it indicates they got atleast 3 games in development.

Factions
New Single Player Experience
And another (Maybe a PC port I'd guess)

If they are making all them at once that's not bad really.

DonJorginho

Banned
???

2011: UC3
2013: The Last of Us
2016: Uncharted 4
2017: Uncharted Lost Legacy
2020: The Last of Us: Part II
2024: Factions 2
2025: Probably new SP game

not to mention a bunch or ports and remasters/remakes in between those years.

This is Arguably the most consistent release schedule of the last decade. Too 5 undoubtedly.

All quality. And All of those games are larger (minus lost legacy) and of higher quality than anything Insomniac has ever made.

You should be giving SSM the smoke.
If you think their SP title is coming in 2025 then I wanna know your thoughts on Santa & the Easter Bunny

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
If you think their SP title is coming in 2025 then I wanna know your thoughts on Santa & the Easter Bunny
Late 2025 lines up perfectly with their track record. You thinking it won’t is just your thoughts. No evidence to support it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think that is on Jim.
The previous head is what made Sony great.

Jim legacy right now is live service games.
We are talking that Sony is not shy to delay games until they are well polished and a functional game, more often than not. It was a tit for tat response. Nothing more.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So it's in development hell, OK.

Hopefully that single player title is at least NOT beginning development.
of course it's in development hell.
How do you make a good game out of the last of us ... if you make it gaas multiplayer thing...
edit: I would never ask for gaas tlou.... or gaas ND game. It's the OPPOSITE of what I want from PlayStation. not interested. yuck

Last edited:
I'd rather they just work on that single player game

They are. In fact this stament would indicates they are working on atleast 3 games.

If they where to only make one single player game only they would simply have less employees like they did in the past.

It would be unlikely to speed up development they'd just make less stuff.

The studio size has expanded massively in recent years so it only makes sense to work on multiple projects

DonJorginho

Banned
Late 2025 lines up perfectly with their track record. You thinking it won’t is just your thoughts. No evidence to support it.
Brother... the evidence is in YOUR post.

They release a mainline entry every four years, and have spent the majority of their time and allocated the majority of their dev team on Factions, which still doesn't even have a rough date or release year.

To think they also have a fully fledged new SP title almost ready when they can't even get Factions out is utterly fanciful.

Markio128

A brand new single player experience definitely sounds like TLOU3 - otherwise, I’d imagine they’d call it a new single player IP. I’m calling 2025 at the earliest on this one.

near

Gold Member
Which reads to me like skeleton crew on multiplayer or redesign phase. The focus was on single player.
I don't doubt for a second it was rebooted at one point. But I also don't think they stopped development on it completely at any point, either. Naughty Dog was divided into two teams at one point, for Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us. Post U4 release, most if not all was allocated to PII, I'm sure they spared a team for Factions, I mean they were aggressively hiring for it. Pure speculation on my part though.

People dont realize this but ND is a very efficient studio almost on par with fromsoft and insomniac. They released Uncharted 4 three years after TLOU. Lost legacy 14 months after U4, and TLOU2 less than 3 years after Lost Legacy. 3 years is what they take to put out AAA games. And here we are three years later, and we didnt even get a sneakpeak from them.
They've never been an efficient studio, let's be honest. Insomniac is a different beast. They still spent 5 years on Uncharted 4, killed Amy Henning, and destroyed Bruce Straley shortly after. Spent 6 years on The Last of Us Part II. DLCs and remasters (externally handled if recall correctly) between. All with a studio capacity of 500+ staff.

Another reason why Insomniac >>> Naughty Dog.

(not saying ND are bad before anyone gets butthurt, but their output since Uncharted 3 has been awful in terms of gaps between releases.)
it was 3 years between TLOU and Uncharted 4 and 4 years between Uncharted 4 and TLOU2. That is not bad at all. And Insomniac has more employees than ND and create games that are not on ND's technical level. Outside of Rockstar games, no gaming studio rivals ND when it comes to technical ability

Wasn't the rumor that Factions is a cross gen game?
It that's the case, damn. We will have to wait until the end of the generation to see what ND can really do with the PS5 hardware.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't doubt for a second it was rebooted at one point. But I also don't think they stopped development on it completely at any point, either. Naughty Dog was divided into two teams at one point, for Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us. Post U4 release, most if not all was allocated to PII, I'm sure they spared a team for Factions, I mean they were aggressively hiring for it. Pure speculation on my part though.
Which reads to me like skeleton crew on multiplayer or redesign phase. The focus was on single player.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Fbh

So this gen from ND we are getting
TLOU1 Again
The Last of Us GAAS
Probably a new IP cross gen with Ps6

yay!

On Gotham, it's the truth. They should be thanking their lucky stars they bought that studio. Best studio. Period.

They also bought them super cheap.
$229 million for the studio that's almost single handedly carrying the Ps5.

It's crazy how you just jump a few years forward and now any shitty devs is selling for like $1billion.

Top Bottom