• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog or Santa Monica Studios -Which Sci-Fi IP would be better

Which studio would do Sci-Fi better, for YOU?

• Naughty Dog

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Santa Monica

Votes: 81 56.3%

• Total voters

Robbinhood

Banned
After the TLOU and Uncharted 4, I'm not confident Naughty Dog have the chops for making a decent original sci-fi that doesn't just come out as "TLOU... iN sPaAaAaCe".

SSM have shown a willingness to evolve recently that Naughty Dog really hasn't, so, I'd be much more excited for their sci-fi work.
Evolve how, Uncharted and TLOU especially 2 are nothing alike.

ND evolved its gameplay systems tremendously. They are in a class of their own when it comes to third person action. They nail their narrative and graphics. They can adapt to any genre/theme.

bitbydeath

I mean if you’re going to make a space game why not just focus on one solar system?

5-8 planets is enough, make them fully explorable, have main areas of interest coded by hand and everything in between automatically generated based on decided region type. Desert/Forest etc. Add vehicles, customisation, story etc

Humdinger

I'd be pessimistic about ND. I would expect a game from them with PC characters set in a dire, gloomy environment, with a strained, pretentious story. Meh. Santa Monica seems to have more imagination. They're more attuned to fantasy. I'd go with them.

Don't know man, Ucharted 4 was the better playing Uncharted ever

It's even more fun to play than TLOU 2, imo.

Combat was awesome, but had way too little of it. Pacing was terrible.

Uncharted 4 gameplay + space powers/tech Mass Effect-like would be

jizz in my pants GIF
It's only better playing because of it's innovation over 4 games.

It's not better in, the music, the characters, the writing, the plot.

They took a campy game and turned into a serious turn of events

GymWolf

"Uncharted in space" would be the Han Solo simulator that people have been asking for decades

That Star Wars game from Ubi could scratch that itch, but I trust ND way more to deliver

Santa Monica tried to mimic ND's style of sotrytelling with Ragnarok to cringe worthy results.

So I would rather have something from ND
It would be hilarious to see drunkman writing a boys club behaviour super masculine character like han solo...

If neutered nate that has to hide shit from the wife in unch4 is of any indication we are in for some incredible comedy gold...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Either one can potentially make a great sci fi game. They're top tier studios.

Naughty Dog is more likely to make a hard sci-fi drama with minimalist gameplay. SSM is more likely to include more fantasy / gamey elements.

Kokoloko85

Both will be awesome and top quality. I hope they are both at least as long as their previous games

Last edited:
I mean if you’re going to make a space game why not just focus on one solar system?

5-8 planets is enough, make them fully explorable, have main areas of interest coded by hand and everything in between automatically generated based on decided region type. Desert/Forest etc. Add vehicles, customisation, story etc

Not to make this about Starfield, but this is probably what Starfield should've done.

T0minator

Hey I'm just answering the question as reasonably as I can. I love both studios. I think they both have the talent to create a fantastic game. I just don't get excited over rumors.
That's fair, I normally don't excited about baseless rumors but these two studios are soooo great anything new from them gets me personally excited and my mind starts imagine the possibilities 🤓

Top Bottom