• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog's head technology leaves the company

midnightAI

Uncharted 4 is 10x better than the trilogy before it. Both gameplay and narrative.
Tlou2 is one of best games ever made. Probably best gameplay ever. Technological marvel too.

Druckman did amazing.
While I think Uncharted 2 is better than 4, you do have a point.

Last of Us 2 graphically is still brought up in next gen game threads such as Alan Wake 2 and Spider Man 2. And I wouldn't even say the graphics are the best part, the gameplay is.

tmlDan

Factions 1 wasn't forgotten and uh, how long do you want to cope Factions 2 will take dev time before something is a tiny bit off? It's going on 5 full years now btw. (If you're confused, dev footage of factions 2 form 2018 was leaked, so actually its minimum 5 years, likely more) 10 years? 20?
It was forgotten, even on enthusiast forums it was talked fondly of but it was forgotten.

Just like UC MP was, if thats what you wanted then go for it but they'd stop supporting it after 6-8 months.

rofif

Banned
Hard disagree on Uncharted. While 4 was great, 2 is hands down the best in the series imo.
U4 is newer and benefits from the trilogy before it.

The story is worse and so is the pacing and overall structure.

Both U4 and lou2 have amazing gameplay and visuals. No question. But that's not enough.
Absolutely yous hould replay the trilogy. Then 4 and come back to me.

There is no way that U2 pacing or story are better than 4.
UC2 is just plain traversal and combat corridors. UC4 traversal is way upgraded and combat is open and visceral.
And story? Are you kidding me? Zombie yetis ?! story in uc trilogy is a joke. Characters are fine but stories are not. UC4 story actually elevates characters.

Stooky

Yes, we love the Druck and the direction ND has taken since his gradual takeover.

Please, no more beautiful, fun globe throtting adventures every two years.

Let's have remakes of the remasters of the same game... let's destroy, subvert, shock and alienate.

No fun allowed. F the fans.
releasing a game every 2 years with was dead since since ps3/360 unless you are cool with devs crunching or a sub par game.

Majormaxxx

UC2 is just plain traversal and combat corridors. UC4 traversal is way upgraded and combat is open and visceral.
And story? Are you kidding me? Zombie yetis ?! story in uc trilogy is a joke. Characters are fine but stories are not. UC4 story actually elevates characters.
Yes U4 with the Uber Frau villain...

Pacing is off in U4. There's no momentum. The trilogy is a Rollercoaster of fun. U4 is navel gazing.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
We stand on the threshold of a new beginning. In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, Naughty Dog will be reorganized into the first The Last of Us Company for a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for ten thousand years.

Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars

ProtoByte

Curious to say the least. He only got promoted to this position a couple months back.

I do think some of you guys need to relax a little though. People leave companies.

blacktout

Seems like when it comes to PlayStation studios devs have to work there until they die or it’s doom talk.

This isn't exclusively a PlayStation thing. People love to assume the worst, because it gives them something to debate and gossip about. Look at the Pete Hines retirement thread. Hell, you had many people arguing that Nintendo must have forced out Charles Martinet, even though he's 68 years old and was given what is obviously a ceremonial emeritus position with the company.

This isn't even a particularly egregious or irrational example, given all the recent reporting about Naughty Dog's struggles with the TLoU GaaS title.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Get real guys, after 17 years in ANY job, most successful people would get itchy feet.

Everything changes over time, a person's personal situation and priorities shift as they age, and one of the biggest advantages of being successful in your career is you aren't dependent on your employer.

Why would being a "lifer" at any dev-studio be something to strive for?

Agreed, I loved 2 and 3.

4 was good on a technical level but everything else felt like a complete mess.
That’s because it was. If you read up on the behind the scenes that production was a shit show. A complete shit show. Changing actors mid development, scraping development and rebooting with a release date looming close, whole sequences and set pieces cut, re writing, re recording, changing creative directors

It’s nothing short of a miracle it came out like it did. Which (to me at least) was really strong and really good. It was Lowkey a halo 2 situation

ProtoByte

Kinda bizarre to be 3 years into the generation and not see a single thing from Naughty Dog other than a remake nobody really asked for.

Hope this isn't a bad omen for the studio and they actually have something exciting that's ready to be shared.
Factions was a mistake. Complete waste of time. They also should've kept that TLOU Remake dead when they shut down Visual Arts' version.

If whatever they've got is a new IP, it would probably just be releasing next year anyway... but too much time and resources went into crap that was obviously not a good idea.

If we don't get a full AAA release from ND by 2025, there's a problem. Gyrling's leaving isn't an indication either or imo.

Majormaxxx

Hoe could they fuck over their best studio like that. Wtf Man.
It is easy. Origin made amazing games in the 90s. Couldn't go wrong. Crash and burn. LucasArts were on a roll with adventure games and star wars games. Went up in flames. BioWare were the RPG goat. No more. Naughty Dog were the wizards of wonder when it comes to ridiculously fun action adventure games. Things change.

skit_data

Naughty Dog has seen shifts in prominent positions before and still kept being one of the top dogs of the industry so I wouldn't worry to much about it just yet.

releasing a game every 2 years with was dead since since ps3/360 unless you are cool with devs crunching or a sub par game.
Stooky, I get that you're in the industry and you're probably used to reading gamers screeching into the void, but you guys gotta start rethinking and rationalizing some things. Seriously. Big budget gamedev is taking far too long nowadays. And that is just one of the questionable facets revolving around current AAA dev.

Vick

I'm the first who doesnt like Neil, but I think whatever is going on, is beyong his doings.
Bullshit. Everything that has happened to ND, everything this company has become ever since the release of the first TLOU, is directly tied to Druckmann choices.

If you disagree, you don't know shit about this company's history.

rofif

Banned
I can't stop laughing : DDDD. You sir need a medal : DDDDD.

No matter how pro you are after you pull a TLOU2.
uc trilogy was a funny little adventure. It was a great spectacle mind you but it was shallow.
UC4 is al that again + amazing characters, deep story and just graphical and technical (also gameplay tech of course) elevated to level so high above the trilogy.
And I love the trilogy

rofif

Banned
"We are gonna release The Last of Us Part 1: Remastered and you'll like it".
The only problem with that remake is the price.
It's a stunning remake overwise. Some of best graphics ever.
I am not even sure ND spent that much time on it. They outsources a lot of stuff

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
uc trilogy was a funny little adventure. It was a great spectacle mind you but it was shallow.
UC4 is al that again + amazing characters, deep story and just graphical and technical (also gameplay tech of course) elevated to level so high above the trilogy.
And I love the trilogy

Isn't Uncharted 2 universally considered as the best in the serious thou?

Vick

Man, I'll pretend I've never read this post and continue to consider yourself a dear virtual friend.

I've grown to like and admire much of U4, but the OG trilogy is untouchable. There's literal fucking magic in those games, and I'm not talking about their supernatural plots.

They also should've kept that TLOU Remake dead when they shut down Visual Arts' version.
Mmh, disagree. I'll personally take and treasure a perfect looking, future proof version of a game there's 0 chance is going to topped or even close to being matched, from a once favorite and beloved company.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Man, I'll pretend I've never read this post and continue to consider yourself a dear virtual friend.

I've grown to like and admire much of U4, but the OG trilogy is untouchable. There's literal fucking magic in those games, and I'm not talking about their supernatural plots.

Mmh, disagree. I'll personally take and treasure a perfect looking version of a game there's 0 chance is going to topped or even close to be matched, from a once favorite and beloved company.
Don't get me wrong. I love these games. I've finished the trilogy good 3-4 times.... The post was not meant to shit on the trilogy.
But the uc4 was such a quality jump slap in the face, it's ridiculus how much I like it.
And magic is the only thing uc1 has since it's trash otherwise :p

Last edited:

Vick

Don't get me wrong. I love these games. I've finished the trilogy good 3-4 times....
But the uc4 was such a quality jump slap in the face, it's ridiculus how much I like it.
It's just an entirely different kind of tone and narrative.
The OG Trilogy never wanted to be what U4 is.
They completely, totally, and utterly delivered in what the wanted those games to be.

And magic is the only thing uc1 has since it's trash otherwise :p
Dude that's my favorite of them all.

dW69zeZ.gif

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
It's just an entirely different kind of narrative.
The OG Trilogy never wanted to be what U4 is.
They completely, totally, and utterly delivered in what the wanted those games to be.

Dude that's my favorite of them all.

dW69zeZ.gif
I wouldn't be so sure. UC4 feels like a clear evolution to me but I understand what you are saying.
As for uc1.... well... I get the charm too. It is a charming game. The remaster is even playable. ok I am allowing it :p

I think one of the main reasons Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 were so popular was because those games didn't take themselves too seriously - they were basically Tomb Raider but with a bunch of really fun and goofy characters, and that formula worked so well, I love those games till this day.

Uncharted 4 tried to bring a lot of seriousness and weight to these beloved goofy characters but it just didn't work in my opinion.

Gaf should continue to doubt ND at their own peril.

I wish Christian all the best. People leaving a studio after 17yrs is not news. Apparently, it is when it's a Sony FP.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Factions was a mistake. Complete waste of time. They also should've kept that TLOU Remake dead when they shut down Visual Arts' version.

If whatever they've got is a new IP, it would probably just be releasing next year anyway... but too much time and resources went into crap that was obviously not a good idea.

If we don't get a full AAA release from ND by 2025, there's a problem. Gyrling's leaving isn't an indication either or imo.

Yeah, I am expecting 2025 for their game. If it doesn't meet that date, the studio is in trouble imho. It means they wasted a lot more time on stuff they shouldn't have (Factions, Remakes, etc)

I think Uncharted 2 is better than Uncharted 4 which is better than Uncharted 3 which is better than Uncharted 1...

That's not a terrible track record in my book.

Top Bottom