• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Exmployee: "Palworld Was Made Nefariously"

If Nintendo doesn’t find a way to sue, their other entities will be ripped off. Personally speaking, ai generated content that used other artist work as a base for training the model is straight plagiarism.

Wouldn’t this be akin to, say, taking the voice of a voice actor without their permission and using AI to generate the entire dialogue that sounds like a celebrity?

If they truly fed AI a bunch of Pokémon to tweak slightly for their game, that sounds like a similar situation

Had they used no input of Nintendo data, it would be much harder to argue the case

This Del Walker guy is a Character Artist that's been at ND for just a bit over a year. He sounds like a 14yo and those tweets are so insufferably dumb that I just can't fathom how someone with any self-awareness at all would actually put those tweets out in public.

Really not a good look.

Regardless, many folks in here are equating one idiotic artist at a studio with the perspective of the entire studio. That's just as puerile and juvenile as this goon's tweets.

blue velvet

Amid this success, the game has sparked debates about plagiarism and the use of AI-generated content, with a developer from Naughty Dog claiming that Palworld was created nefariously.
  • Palworld’s ability to break so many records has made it the subject of controversy.
  • Many believe the game’s foundations have been built on plagiarism.
  • A developer from Naughty Dog also chimed in, claiming that the developers are cheating.

GEdE0JmWwAEMY5L

Source

Love seeing these slopmakers getting mogged by some unknown developers and being succesful at it. Imagine wasting 5 years 200 million dollars for some movie game and getting outsold by a pokemon/ark ripoff. I'm enjoying the outraged by these ESG certified developers.

Fabieter

The "cheat" is that they represented palworld as a pokemon game not a pokemon like. Even their slogan screams pokemon so they are basically use all of the built in pokemon hype but on steam. Every streamer I watched saw every pal as a pokemon so basically they used a decade old ip to sell their game.

Moneal

The "cheat" is that they represented palworld as a pokemon game not a pokemon like. Even their slogan screams pokemon so they are basically use all of the built in pokemon hype but on steam. Every streamer I watched saw every pal as a pokemon so basically they used a decade old ip to sell their game.
what slogan?

Exede

I dont care.... The game is fun. When nothing got used 1:1 im fine. They made a shit ton of money to hire more people to replace stuff when they want

Sw0pDiller

So many assumptions in this tread its crazy. The hate is real. Palworld is clearly a pokemon meets fortnite spin-off. And while i love the succes this game has, its not fair.

Gold Member
The salt fuelled jealousy in these tweets is real.

Made even funnier by the fact that he says they are cheating after his bosses have been rereleasing the same shite, unnecessarily for years and cashing in - amazing lack of awareness 🤣

Cheats or not, they have released a product that people want and fair play to them.

Sarcasm is dead on the internet, cause y'all are too stupid to see/read it.

I thought only redditors in r/Palworld are the idiots, and then you post it on GAF and the replies are the same too.

Wait, what? He was being genuine with the way he said it? That was line-by-line sarcasm, because the only other explanation is that the person who wrote it is stupid and lacks self-awareness, and the way it's written could only have been sarcasm, unless he's really, really that stupid.
He works for a western AAA games studio in 2024.

SJRB

Gold Member
The guy has the fucking Palestinian flag in his twitter name and wants to talk about nefarious?

Literally says "I have no proof, but"?

Get the fuck outta here. I can only assume Naughty Dog HR department sends this dude an email today.

Amid this success, the game has sparked debates about plagiarism and the use of AI-generated content, with a developer from Naughty Dog claiming that Palworld was created nefariously.
  • Palworld’s ability to break so many records has made it the subject of controversy.
  • Many believe the game’s foundations have been built on plagiarism.
  • A developer from Naughty Dog also chimed in, claiming that the developers are cheating.

GEdE0JmWwAEMY5L

Source

They should start putting out games more frequently and not remakes and remasters, oh and, also remedy their own crunch culture, before even thinking about judging the successes of others and how their game design is achieved. Until then, they ain't in any position to make such judgements and remarks.

Ar¢tos

The salt fuelled jealousy in these tweets is real.

Made even funnier by the fact that he says they are cheating after his bosses have been rereleasing the same shite, unnecessarily for years and cashing in - amazing lack of awareness 🤣

Cheats or not, they have released a product that people want and fair play to them.
They have to. They will continue releasing the same game until they have figured out the perfect, most shocking and gruesome way to kill Ellie at the start of TLOU3, and somehow blame it on the TLOU1 giraffe at the very end of the game, all this for our enjoyment!

TLOU2 sold 4 mil the weekend it released. Palworld sold 5 mil. TLOU2 sold for $60 and Palworld for $27.

One game had a budget of 200M+ and a huge marketing push, and one had a 7M budget and no marketing at all.

What do you think was a more profitable venture?
Hoe dare you say anything negative about PS owned Naughty Dog to James shill Ford.

Last edited:

midnightAI

They already sold 8 million copies in just 6 days. The development was much cheaper, and they didn't spend nearly as much as ND to market it. They probably profited more than most, if not every, ND games (individually) already.
Let's face it though, the only reason this has got any traction is because it really is 'Pokemon with guns'

Roberts

I work in film and advertising and this happens all the time and it is not neccessary cheating. On one hand you have a bunch of industry pros working with bigger budgets, tons of pressure from clients and producers, spending ages to create something special and when it comes out, it fizzles out and then you have somewhat ignorant (to how system works) people working purely fueled up on enthusiasm and the right idea (even if it is not original) and capture the attention of the public. You might say they are lowering the bar somewhat but they are not cheating.

Top Bottom