• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion |OT| You Must (Not) Run Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited that this thread popped up. Was actually looking to watch Eva recently and between the series, rebuilds, movies, I didn't know where to start.

Consensus is the series I presume from the OT?

Excited that this thread popped up. Was actually looking to watch Eva recently and between the series, rebuilds, movies, I didn't know where to start.

Start with the series then watch the rebuilds. Wouldn't recommend it any other way, especially if you plan to watch all the material.

Joyful

anime (all of it)
end of evangelion
then rebuild of evangelion

Start with the series then watch the rebuilds. Wouldn't recommend it any other way, especially if you plan to watch all the material.

anime (all of it)
end of evangelion
then rebuild of evangelion

Awesome, thanks.

I remember way back in high school, a friend introduced me to anime/mange with Evangelion. He let me borrow one of the mangas and I was so struck by the art that I was hooked just reading it. I didn't know what was going on since it was in the middle of the story, but just looking at the striking images, sense of movement, and giant sound effect onomatopoeias was such an overload for my brain that I actually sounded out the sound effects as I read, much to the delight of my friend.

DarkKyo

Awesome, thanks.

I remember way back in high school, a friend introduced me to anime/mange with Evangelion. He let me borrow one of the mangas and I was so struck by the art that I was hooked just reading it. I didn't know what was going on since it was in the middle of the story, but just looking at the striking images, sense of movement, and giant sound effect onomatopoeias was such an overload for my brain that I actually sounded out the sound effects as I read, much to the delight of my friend.

I'm so excited for you! If the manga made your brain light up in so many ways then the anime and subsequent movies will make your head explode... enjoy and watch out for spoilers!

Ashby

I've been waiting to do a rewatch until the blu-rays get released in the West. That's never happening is it?

Tom_Cody

Would you recommend looking into the manga as well? Or would that just complicate things?

I had watched the series and original films when they were first released but now I'm struggling to figure out how best to revisit this. Originally I was going to go with the Rebuild films, but I've never read the manga so I might go with that instead. Or I might just go back to the start of the TV series. What a mess, lol.

munchie64

Would you recommend looking into the manga as well? Or would that just complicate things?

I had watched the series and original films when they were first released but now I'm struggling to figure out how best to revisit this. Originally I was going to go with the Rebuild films, but I've never read the manga so I might go with that instead. Or I might just go back to the start of the TV series. What a mess, lol.
If you're revisiting, the manga is a great way to do so imo. It's different enough that it'll feel fresh, yet it's still familiar as Eva.

Awesome art too.

munchie64

"Evangelion" Production Studio khara to Hold 10th Anniversary Exhibition in November
34f2aaf3a694a2c9e197ac3141b6e4c71476937622_full.jpg

The exhibition will display about 300 items including:

- 160 key animation drawings and design references (including never shown before arts) and promotional visuals from the Rebuild of Evangelion film series
- Three prototype models (2nd, 3rd, and 4th form) of Godzilla from the Shin Godzilla film that Anno served as the screenplay writer and general director
- Production materials from the Japan Animator Expo project
- Screening of a newly animated episode "Ookina Kabu" from Moyoco Anno's Kantoku Fuyuki Todoki (Insufficient Direction) manga
- Screening of the music video of Hikaru Utada's "Sakura Nagashi (Eva: Q version)"
- Materials from the cultural activities operated by Studio khara to conserve the Japanese anime/tokusatsu culture

Aters

Nice. I watched the original anime and the first two new movies. I heard the third one is a turd. Should I watch it?

DarkKyo

Nice. I watched the original anime and the first two new movies. I heard the third one is a turd. Should I watch it?

3rd movie is great! Though it's very polarizing. Either way it's definitely interesting how off-the-rails it goes, so definitely watch it and see for yourself.

jstripes

Banned
3rd movie is great! Though it's very polarizing. Either way it's definitely interesting how off-the-rails it goes, so definitely watch it and see for yourself.

That was Anno's plan.

2.22 was "give the fans everything they want", and 3.33 was "take it all away from them".

munchie64

No news. Bummer.

Funny to see this bumped. I popped in this series on Monday to start rewatching it.
Whoops, sorry. I'm sure there'll be a thread if actual news comes about lol.

Then we can analyse trailers that probably have nothing to do with the movie.

Roubjon

I re-watched the show last month and it's still so good. It's by far my favorite show out there. I also forgot how amazing 2.22 is?

kuYuri

Finally watched the first of the Rebuild movies and it's like why did I wait this long to watch it

I still have my Platinum Edition from like 2005, along with both movies after all these years too.

TheChaos0

Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 update they started production

Khara, the studio behind director Hideaki Anno's new Evangelion films, confirmed on Wednesday that the next Shin Evangelion project is in production. The studio posted on its Twitter account: "Shin Eva meeting. We're hard at work in production!"

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...next-shin-evangelion-is-in-production/.114394

Finally. Can't believe the first movie came out in what 2007!? I was thinking we would have all 4 by 2015 at the very least. Oh how wrong I was...how wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom