• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New AVP clip: Alien/Predator fight scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

The Predator looks pretty lame standing there in his defensive stance, like slow and bulky.

Still looks pretty cool when he starts swinging the alien around, but the whole fight looked pretty meh. After the insanely fast ultra-violent encounters of the AvP games, it looked like a couple of guys in big rubber suits wrestling. I'll still see the movie, but by now most of the initial "hey, this might be really good" buzz from the first trailer is gone for me.

Speed the footage up a touch and edit it tighter and that fight sequence would be better. I really don't like how the alien's body is strong enough to go through all that concrete. The things are supposed to break apart when they are fired on or driven over.

evil ways

Even though I'll probably still go and see it, I'm disappointed. The Predators look all rubbery and muscle bound instead of the tall but slimand agile look they had on the old movies, which reminded me of a mix between Boba Fett and Spider-Man. Now with all the exaggerated claws, the fake looking suits and the overuse of robotic looking armor, I'm bummed out.

Add to that the fact that the movie is rated PG-13 and one of the Predators is a complete marshmellow of emotions at one point in the film, and I can see no good coming out of this movie.

Fox basically gave the project to an average director who is supposedly a long time Predator fan, but who they knew would bend over and do anything the studio asked. They should've gotten Ridley Scott, Cameron or even John McTiernan and I bet it would've been more faithful and better.

Lil' Dice said:
Hey Hollywood studios! I'm a HUGE fan of Casablanca, can i direct the sequel?

Actually, when a huge fan of something goes to direct a movie generally the result is shit.

Dungeons and Dragons is an extreme example. Daredevil, though no where near as bad is also an example.

As well, effects guys and cinematographers should never direct movies.

Lil' Dice

Banned
That's what i'm getting at.
Isn't it amazing that whenever a director is given a film to direct they're the biggest fan of blah blah blah...

calder

Hehe, my first thought when the Predator awkwardly flips back up on his feet was of a pudgy linebacker getting pulled back up to his feet by a couple of teammates.

It would have been awesome if the predator was wearing a junior high practice football jersey and when he got up he did a self-conscious tug down on the front of his uni in case the alien was looking at his gut. Then the alien could hiss "you all right there, fatty? why don't you call over Coach Zdalfkj and quit now, cuz you're never making varsity!".

Shit if I as the director I would have filmed that scene like that just to release the clip without comment as an internet trailer 2 days before it opens, then sit back and watch message boards explode. If half the staff at AICN had massive strokes it'd be like a bonus.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
They played a bit of conkers BFD i see.

edit:
calder said:
Shit if I as the director I would have filmed that scene like that just to release the clip without comment as an internet trailer 2 days before it opens, then sit back and watch message boards explode. If half the staff at AICN had massive strokes it'd be like a bonus.

YOUR HIRED!

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Geez all the predators cant look the same you know how hard it is to find that many 6-10 actors that are willing to get in all that crap for hours? Ill reserve judgement for when its on the big screen and not so cloudy looking.

Ristamar

Eh... I assume that must be some sort of uber-Alien since I wouldn't think a Predator would have any problem fucking up dozens of normal Aliens at a time. The other movies never really made them out to be particulary smart or strong.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
muncheese said:
The word trite comes to mind.
Bingo.

I mean, who cares? Really, who cares whether the alien or the predator wins? Not I. The action is so poorly done as well that it doesn't even serve as some superficial fun. It really does look like two monsters wrestling or some crap, and just about everything the predator does is sluggishly performed, especially cutting the alien's tail or whatever.

That clip is just incredibly trite and disengaging. I don't even think there's a chance that I'll waste time on this when it's showing on HBO.

FoneBone

While I'm convinced that the movie will suck, I'm just too big an Alien/Predator fan not to see this in the theater. I doubt I'll see it again.

Another option (which I'm still not sure if I'll take up) is the Predator Collector's Edition DVD, which is out next week and includes a free ticket to AvP. Even if AvP sucks, you still get a damn good movie, and no money wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom