• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

So it's going to be an accurate summary of the show then.
J59r6Te.png

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
TWO DAYS

Someone should make a countdown timer.
I would but I don't know how

EmiPrime

Is there still no news regarding a Resurrection of F cinema release in the west? It's killing me knowing that there's DB content out there that I can't watch! :(

Can't wait for Sunday.

Snaku

Banned
Hope we get a lot of info and media on this over the next few weeks, or this will be the most barebones OT I've ever made.

Shauni

There's no perfect/unedited version of the manga from Viz. Censoring ranges in various prints/reprints and new versions/collections from nudity to violence to dialog. There's still like Goku's junk and Bulma turning around in the shower (and Mr. Popo's lips are always reduced), but also stuff like #17's gun turned into a fist. I always forget exactly where it is, but there's also a great dialog change of Vegeta's from "Chikusho!" (Damn/Shit/etc.) to just "!!!"

All in all, though, the Viz translation's a perfectly fine read, and leagues upon leagues ahead of FUNimation's original dub work on the anime.

My recommendation is for the "Viz Big" versions, which have nicer quality paper (not quite Japanese kanzenban level, but close), most of the color chapters, and are 3-in-1 volumes (sometimes 2-in-1) for a good price... not to be confused with the currently on-going 3-in-1 editions which use the kanzenban cover art and have atrocious paper quality.

Thanks for the advice. Kind of a shame that there's not a fully unedited version of the manga here, but is what it is, I guess.

New Dragon Ball trailer. Smash Bros. Presentation. Game of Thrones season finale. I... I'm not sure I can handle all this. Tell my brother to live his life like a Kamehameha.

Was Gohan the strongest, even after Kid Buu was killed? If so, then I dunno. Maybe Gohan is still the strongest in the new saga, unless Goku and/or Vegeta trained while Gohan started to fall apart due to Chi Chi's child neglect focusing on school.

-Eddman-

I know i will be disappointed with the animation and art quality since this is Toei, but i'm still confident in Toriyama's ability to design cool characters and create a fun story.

Bring on the Super!

Varna

I mean at worst it'll be interesting to see what Toriyama's take on what happens after Z rather than TOEI's take (GT).

Somehow I don't think it will be all that different. Dude already made everyone expect Goku and Vegeta irrelevant. Show hasn't even started. Any attempt to make any of the other character relevant is going to be incredibly ham-fisted.

My prediction is that a lot of new character will be introduced and be quickly forgotten because Goku finds yet another power-up.

Somehow I don't think it will be all that different. Dude already made everyone expect Goku and Vegeta irrelevant. Show hasn't even started. Any attempt to make any of the other character relevant is going to be incredibly ham-fisted.

My prediction is that a lot of new character will be introduced and be quickly forgotten because Goku finds yet another power-up.
Tien will attain God ki through meditation. This will include a fourth eye.

Fuck power levels, fuck Super Saiyans, and FUCK (Cell)

New Characters definitely need to carry the show, but i hope he doesn't go too far in an "anti gt" direction and avoid trunks or pan as characters.

Assuming 5~ seasons, I want to see the humans and piccolo become relevant, while not letting the cast get stale. I want to see Tights and Vegeta's brother make appearances though, I just wouldn't exactly call them new.

Varna

I would like to see an arc involve something like the ki-plauge and have all the heavy hitters know what it's like to fight without access to all that raw power. That human character can be like "Look at these fucken attacks we use that let us hit way above our weight class! Why don't you ever use them you morons!"

I would like to see some more enemies with unique powers, other than "OMG power level is HUUUUGE" kinda like how unique some of Narutos villains. Would like to see team work and a boost for Tien. He along with Piccolo should have always been a bit weaker than Goku.

Seemed like Buu was Cell on some serious steroids with his regeneration and learning of moves. Not every bad guy needs to have regeneration....also I would love to see them explore Daburas demon world a bit more. He was such an interesting villain with such cool design and background story. He totally deserved his own saga.

Would be cool to also see what some OG DB characters are up to. Like Nam, Girin, Launch and Umpa.

Heroman

Banned
I would like to see an arc involve something like the ki-plauge and have all the heavy hitters know what it's like to fight without access to all that raw power. That human character can be like "Look at these fucken attacks we use that let us hit way above our weight class! Why don't you ever use them you morons!"
But all db heavy hitter know how to fight with or with ki.

Xiraiya

I'm looking forward to this, I didn't care for GT and well it's irrelevant anyway since it's not even canon.

This at least has some proper connection to Dragonball since Toriyama did the outline.

Today I was at Barnes and Noble on my lunch break casually looking through the DB manga and thinking of how much fun I used to have watching DBZ with my dad, brother and one of our friends on Toonami back in 2000/2001 (Android saga is what hooked us, our friend started with the Saiyan and Frieza sagas which we caught up on after). We'd tape the show during the day while I was at work and my bro and friend were in school, then later in the evening we'd all get together to watch the latest episode (or binge watch 2-3 new eps as obviously we couldn't all get together every single day) and my mom would often make us some food or snacks to enjoy while we watched, GOOD TIMES. Years later, we still talk about those days and how much fun we had.

My dad's reactions were always so funny, especially whenever Vegeta would do something typically arrogant and stupid. Unlike all of the other characters, my dad rarely referred to Vegeta by name and would often simply call him "that idiot," ie: "Great, there goes that idiot again, trying to get everyone killed." Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Chi Chi, *everyone else* he'd refer to by name, but Vegeta was consistently just "That idiot." lol

So today shortly after browsing the manga at the book store, I found out about DB Super and well, that felt like a very cool surprise indeed. Someday I'll watch the OG DB episodes and buy all the manga. Only watched Saiyan, Frieza, Android/Cell and Buu sagas, never watched GT. Still also have to watch the new movie.

denx

Will only watch this if the old LA Spanish dub cast returns. I'm not watching this on japanese with that weird lady voice Goku has there.

-Eddman-

Will only watch this if the old LA Spanish dub cast returns. I'm not watching this on japanese with that weird lady voice Goku has there.

Well they did the recent movies, so there's a chance if whoever gets the tv rights is willing to pay them fairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom