• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Harvard Poll says 57% of Americans view Black Lives Matter negatively

A majority of America has an unfavorable view of Black Lives Matter, although opinions on the protest movement cut sharply along racial and partisan lines, according to a new poll.

Overall, 43 percent of voters have a positive view of Black Lives Matter, compared with 57 percent who have a negative view of the movement, the latest Harvard-Harris survey found.

Only 35 percent of whites have a favorable view of the movement, while 83 percent of blacks have a favorable view.

The Harvard-Harris online survey of 2,051 registered voters was conducted between July 19 and July 24. The partisan breakdown is 37 percent Democrat, 31 percent Republican, 27 percent independent and 4 percent other. Sixty-five percent of respondents were white, 14 percent Hispanic and 12 percent black or African-American.

The poll found that 50 percent of voters overall believe the criminal justice system is unfair to minorities, and 50 percent believe it's fair.

Among black voters, 85 percent said there is bias in the criminal justice system, while 60 percent of white voters said the system is fair to minorities.

A majority — 56 percent — believes the police are too quick to resort to force in encounters with citizens, including 57 percent of whites.
And 54 percent say the police are too quick to shoot African-Americans, although here, only 45 percent of whites agree.

”There are deep racial divides in attitudes towards police and whether too much attention has been given to cop shootings versus black-on-black crime," said Penn.

The Harvard-Harris Poll is a collaboration of the Harvard Center for American Political Studies and The Harris Poll. The Hill will be working with Harvard-Harris Poll throughout 2017. 
Full poll results will be posted online later this week.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/344985-poll-57-percent-have-negative-view-of-black-lives-matter-movement#.WYOC9LIxKBo.twitter

No surprises here.
But pay attention to the data. The polling data about the perceived fairness or bias of the justice system and law enforcement gives us even more indication that the dominant society isnt simply opposed to BLM the organisation and its modus operandi, theyre opposed to the statement "Black Lives Matter" because they reject the set of facts that motivate that statement. 50% of poll respondents believe the justice system is inherently fair,65% of Whites polled believe the criminal justice system has no bias against minorities, and 55% of Whites polled think cops arent too quick to shoot Blacks.
(lock if old)

6082764673_c776796913_o_d.png

Valhelm

contribute something
65% of whites opposing a group with a message as basic as "Black Lives Matter" makes me queasy.

We need a radical transformation of American society to upend the structures of white supremacy. Proactive measures need to be taken to challenge prejudicial attitudes among everyday Americans and our criminal justice system needs to be dismantled and built anew.

Bronx-Man

Banned
"Majority of Americans Disapprove of Blacks Trying to Justify Their Continued Living"

Tell me an era in our country's history where this wasn't the case.

Sunster

"What are your goals!? What do you stand for!!!??"

*explains goals and mission*

"This isn't the wayy!!!"

Kusagari

Hillary got 37% of the white vote.

So this matches up pretty damn well with the percentage of whites that vote Dem.

tbf some of the people who like him now think he would be a conservative republican against gay marriage and in favour of the police in police brutality arguments.

Are you referring to our resident "far left" posters who support authoritarian regimes allied against the west who also support Wikileaks?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I bet a lot of americans hated the civil rights movement when it first started. Heck the FBI was monitoring Martin Luther King, Jr. and probably other people in the movement.

Its the Black Panthers all over again.

Try to stand up for your community, get called thugs and terrorists.

Pretty much.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder how many simply view "black lives" negatively.

I bet a lot of americans hated the civil rights movement when it first started. Heck the FBI was monitoring Martin Luther King, Jr. and probably other people in the movement.

Have you read up on the escalation leading up to the Civil Rights act? I started readng up on Till and moved forward. Its a fucked up blood bath against people of color. It makes me sick thinking about it.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
65% of whites opposing a group with a message as basic as "Black Lives Matter" makes me queasy.

We need a radical transformation of American society to upend the structures of white supremacy. Proactive measures need to be taken to challenge prejudicial attitudes among everyday Americans and our criminal justice system needs to be dismantled and built anew.
60% stating that the justice system is fair to minorities is also a hoot. That's wilful and malicious ignorance. After everything that's been caught on tape, exposed, etc since the dawn of the cellular age, you still believe that the system is in any way fair to people of colour, that means you are a Grade A cerrtified knobber.

There was a profound reaction to the BLM movement to undermine them using text book Gish Gallop tactics. So many people eventually became overwhelmed by the garbage filling their ears about this group that they took it upon themselves to accept it as truth rather than fight through the arguments and see that they were all bullshit.

The illusionary truth effect is ever so real.

kirblar

When many said "The Dems/Hillary/etc aren't talking about economics" (despite repeatedly talking about health care, jobs, etc.), this is what they were really upset about.

jrcbandit

I dislike the name of the movement as it should have taken all of 1 second to realize that every racist and their grandma will reply "all lives matter!!!" or "blue lives matter!!". So now we have to see such stupid rebuttals all the time.

Nepenthe

The good news is that in about 20 or 30 years from now, if patterns hold, the country will act like they were on board with BLM all along and uphold them as an impossibly angelic standard for black people to live up to.

Llyranor

Its the Black Panthers all over again.

Try to stand up for your community, get called thugs and terrorists.
I read up on them a bit but didn't find a clear answer. What did the Black Panthers actually do that was wrong? I think I might already know the answer to this, but all I'm seeing is that they were openly protesting while exercising their right to open-carry. Which led to open-carry being repealed in California, a law which the NRA supported. You know what, the more I write about what I read, the more I'm convinced I already know the answer...

Acerac

Banned

When the news that people tune in to every day is dedicated to demonizing the group it's hard to gain much traction towards reform. Given the messaging that is out there these numbers fail to shock me.

That's what happens when your nation's most watched news network exists purely to demonize the opposition, I guess. The most frustrating part is that I see no way to change this course America is on.

Goofalo

Listen, when white people were oppressing other white people, or one group of white people was keeping another group of white people from getting rich. Resistance, even armed revolution was ok.

But it's not anymore.

/s

I can't say I'm shocked, but it doesn't make the numbers any less deplorable.

This is depressing. They didn't even think highly of MLK until years after he died.

They didn't think highly of MLK until they could throw out what he actually said and pretend he'd saying everything they want to say.

They essentially hollowed him out and put in a voice box, with their pre-recorded nonsense, and try and manipulate MLK's legacy like it was some marionette

Slayven

I dislike the name of the movement as it should have taken all of 1 second to realize that every racist and their grandma will reply "all lives matter!!!" or "blue lives matter!!". So now we have to see such stupid rebuttals all the time.

The name doesn't matter, they would have found away no matter what they called it. Cause they want to be racist fucks

"I want to care about black lives, but the branding sucks"

blakep267

So basically what I'm seeing here is that people will tell you what they think you wanna hear in conversation etc but deep down, a lot of people don't feel that way at all. Like that many white people think the justice system is fair to minorities? Really?

I guess to them it's perfectly normal for cops to
Pull you over and claim you have tinted windows and lock you up for years for tiny amounts of marijuana

Had they called it Black Rights that would then become all rights or all human rights. Referred to as calling for special treatment, etc...

Nothing would stop them from hating it.

Heroman

Banned
I read up on them a bit but didn't find a clear answer. What did the Black Panthers actually do that was wrong? I think I might already know the answer to this, but all I'm seeing is that they were openly protesting while exercising their right to open-carry. Which led to open-carry being repealed in California, a law which the NRA supported. You know what, the more I write about what I read, the more I'm convinced I already know the answer...
Being black with guns.

zero_suit

Let's be honest. It wouldn't have mattered what the name was.
Black people demanding fair treatment = negative views.

Top Bottom