• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Harvard Poll says 57% of Americans view Black Lives Matter negatively

Buckle

A lot of people think black people getting shot to death by the police like clockwork isn't a problem at all so no surprises there.

Acerac

Banned
See now THIS I can get behind. Fuck them in every way possible until they change, not the stressed out freshmen who has no idea why people are screaming at him.
Good call, I too like judging entire groups by single members that did things I find annoying.
If a protest doesn't come with a major risk of being arrested odds are it's a waste of time.

Honestly that's pretty fair, though in all fairness it's a lot tougher to recruit bodies when part of the agreement upon signing up is "you will be arrested".

Kthulhu

You can partially thank the media for that. When all you show are riots that bear any resemblance to a group, people generally won't look on said group fondly.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
And, as earlier pointed out, they're in love with a fuzzy, misremembered caricature of the man, which is why you'll often see him quoted to browbeat protesters with bullshit like 'MLK would not have protested like that' or 'MLK didn't fight and die so y'all could act like [insert any modern social movement] does!'

True, but in general people don't care about MLK's views like his economic justice and social justice hybrid platform, either they boil him down to just a racial justice guy or do what you said, which is the most frustrating part of the many on the "left" today

Most of the "left" ignores everything he had to say about economic justice since that's inconvenient for them.

Lol, thank you, i didn't see this post until after i posted, but i'm not alone

Of course i disagree with everything else you've previous said on the subject

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
And, as earlier pointed out, they're in love with a fuzzy, misremembered caricature of the man, which is why you'll often see him quoted to browbeat protesters with bullshit like 'MLK would not have protested like that' or 'MLK didn't fight and die so y'all could act like [insert any modern social movement] does!'
The MLK Pokémon defense is real.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Depressing. But not surprising the slant their coverage gets. Also shithead anarchists ruining shit for everyone else.

I usually stay out of these threads. But this can't be stressed enough. I applaud people who stand up and march for what they believe in. But anarchists come and ruin everything.

Buckle

And the sad part is a lot of it isn't hardcore racism, just people that are poorly educated or want to stay in the middle and tell everybody else that you can't be too vocal or step on any toes before you've gone too far.

Those more annoyed that people are getting angry at all or not being nice enough about the whole getting perpetually fucked and killed by the government and law enforcement thing.

silvon

Because they were black members of the LGBT community and they don't want to march with their uniformed oppressors

And police is a job not an identity.

And Pride used to mean something before it became tamed and "unpolitical" once certain members of the community umm got theirs.

But majority of people march with their job group. If BLM want to be political and raise awareness they can march and put up signs, it's fine. I just think strongarming the organizer into banning another group is not the right way to gain people's respect.

In Fox News world BLM is literally a terrorist group so I'm actually surprised at how high the "viewed positively" number is

But majority of people march with their job group. If BLM want to be political and raise awareness they can march and put up signs, it's fine. I just think strongarming the organizer into banning another group is not the right way to gain people's respect.

They didn't strong-arm anyone. They protested and Pride TO agreed because fuck yeah solidarity.

TO Police responded by trying to get all funding cut and then marched in Solidarity with the NYPD and claimed they, some of the most aggressive oppressors of black folk, were leading the way and so much ahead of Toronto Pride.

Aka they proved exactly why the queer folk of BLM TO didn't want to march with them

Yes, white fragility is a thing and it is important for black people to remember the privelege that they have of not being so fragile.

Of course it wasnt a serious suggestion.

Didn't think so but hard to tell.

Apologies

Street protest movements in general are never very popular.

People don't like disruption, and you're exposed to whatever opportunists want to hijack your message.

silvon

They didn't strong-arm anyone. They protested and Pride TO agreed because fuck yeah solidarity.

TO Police responded by trying to get all funding cut and then marched in Solidarity with the NYPD and claimed they, some of the most aggressive oppressors of black folk, were leading the way and so much ahead of Toronto Pride.

Aka they proved exactly why the queer folk of BLM TO didn't want to march with them

The stalled the parade without any notice and refused to move until their demands were met, in my opinion that qualifies as strong-arming. That put the parade organizers in a difficult spot, forcing them to agree with the demands, though they soon recanted their agreement.

I usually stay out of these threads. But this can't be stressed enough. I applaud people who stand up and march for what they believe in. But anarchists come and ruin everything.

It is incredibly infuriating. I live in the Bay Area, and I hate it when peaceful protests have some of these destructive people in them (who, often have no connection to the protest, or even agree with it - they just want to destroy stuff for whatever reason (often anarchist-related)). Get the fuck out of here!

It's like Occupy Wall Street all over again in many ways.

And of course, like clockwork, what does the media show? Some asshole in a black mask breaking the window of the Starbucks in downtown Oakland. And then the narrative goes from there...and stupid ass rightwing people pick it up. All of a sudden, the BLM movement is a "destructive and violent movement".

Fucking shitheads (both the masked people and the media who perpetuate this shitty and untruthful narrative). SMDH.

Madness

It is a damn shame how they have been vilified by the media.

This is the thing. The BLM well has been effectively poisoned because the media made it out be Blacks vs Law Enforcement, BLM being shown as rioters and looters. Look at the sheer hatred Colin Kaepernick is getting for taking a knee or not standing during thr anthem. He is a tatted up thug, fuck him etc. Ignoring his community work, working with children etc.

I knew this would happen as soon as they came out with blue lives matter or all lives matter, positioning a movement about police brutality and how it is affecting black citizens the most into an us vs them. If you are for BLM it meant you want no cops and anarchy blah blah.

This is the thing. The BLM well has been effectively poisoned because the media made it out be Blacks vs Law Enforcement, BLM being shown as rioters and looters. Look at the sheer hatred Colin Kaepernick ia getting for taking a knee or not standing during thr anthem. He is a tatted up thug, fuck him etc. Ignoring his community work, working with children etc.

I knew this woukd happen as soon as they came out with blue lives matter or all lives matter, positioning a movement about police brutality and how it is affecting black citizens the most into an us vs them. If you are for BLM it meant you want no cops and anarchy blah blah.
My dad still says that BLM wants to kill cops, that they're all thugs and anarchists. It's frustrating as hell.

I dislike the name of the movement as it should have taken all of 1 second to realize that every racist and their grandma will reply "all lives matter!!!" or "blue lives matter!!". So now we have to see such stupid rebuttals all the time.

People don't hate the perceived lack of inclusion (read: a movement not centered on whiteness) on their end due to their stupidity, they hate the word/idea of "black." In their minds our lives do not matter. So no matter what we called the movement, the fact we centered it on us is what people are upset about. We could say Black Lives Matter Too, and folks would simply whitelash with "Blue Lives Matter Too". We could say "Stop Killing Black Lives", and folks would simply whitelash with "Stop Killing Blue Lives."

So nah, the name isn't the issue, it's a red herring folks throw out.

People need to understand the reason their family members and people they know will never be able to see black lives matter as anything but a terrorist organization is because they fundamentally do not agree with the message of the name .

bionic77

This is a huge reason I am out on the NFL.

BLM was basically a response to innocent young black men getting killed and no one giving two fucks about it.

Anyone who is against that can go fuck themselves and I hope bad things happen to them. How you can't empathize with the families when their sons, fathers and husbands are murdered when walking home from a convenience store is beyond me.

That they needed a movement is a disgrace. That the movement is treated like a terrorist organization says what this country is in 2017 (a shithole).

It's a symptom of that "both sides" shit.

People are so intellectually lazy and dishonest, they prefer to say "both sides" when they don't want to actually look at both sides and pick one, convinced that it gives them some moral and intellectual high ground because they're "in the middle."

And so, I'll say again: FUCK people in the middle. Fuck moderates right up their fucking asses. If you care about the issues, you won't call yourself a fucking moderate.

L Thammy

My dad still says that BLM wants to kill cops, that they're all thugs and anarchists. It's frustrating as hell.

I do kind of wonder where these kinds of opinions of Black Lives Matter come from. I mean, I more or less know where they come from, but specifically. Are these absorbed from the media, or are they malicious assumptions based of a knowledge no deeper than the name, mission statement?

It's a symptom of that "both sides" shit.

People are so intellectually lazy and dishonest, they prefer to say "both sides" when they don't want to actually look at both sides and pick one, convinced that it gives them some moral and intellectual high ground because they're "in the middle."

And so, I'll say again: FUCK people in the middle. Fuck moderates right up their fucking asses. If you care about the issues, you won't call yourself a fucking moderate.

If a "moderate" wants nothing to change because of their apathy to everyone else, they're really just a conservative in denial.

Brinbe

Lots of shitty, racist and dumb people still out there, unfortunately. Selfish idiots, with no empathy, that don't understand their own privilege

I can't tell you how many times I've seen the "Why isn't BLM talking about X white person who was shot?" Or some variation thereof, when knowing more of the story beyond surface level reveals that they have often come out in support of white people unfairly killed by police brutality. It's an epidemic of people wanting to see them as some militant group rather than a group created for civil rights. It's a pattern that's repeated itself across history post-slavery. Every gathering of black people, every mass effort focused on protecting black lives or searching for equality is seen and painted negatively and the start of a race war, (thus you get bullshit like all/blue lives matter: "opposing factions" created to fight back against "black peoples tyranny")

Ridisc

Banned
One thing that I have found difficult is trying to ascertain what is and isnt black lives matter and what to give them credit for an what to give them crap for. Everything becomes so confusing at times.

This is a huge reason I am out on the NFL.

BLM was basically a response to innocent young black men getting killed and no one giving two fucks about it.

Anyone who is against that can go fuck themselves and I hope bad things happen to them. How you can't empathize with the families when their sons, fathers and husbands are murdered when walking home from a convenience store is beyond me.
They'll never empathize because they don't see a son, husband, father, etc walking home; they see a police officer doing his job, self defense, "if they felt threatened, they have to protect themselves", the person killed was obviously in the wrong or else the cop wouldn't have killed him

I do kind of wonder where these kinds of opinions of Black Lives Matter come from. I mean, I more or less know where they come from, but specifically. Are these absorbed from the media, or are they malicious assumptions based of a knowledge no deeper than the name, mission statement?
Fox News and right wing media. My dad only watches Fox and only trusts them and Mark Levin; also, he use to be a state trooper

If that's all you follow, you only see rioters, thugs, threats to kill cops, and so on

kmfdmpig

How can 45% of whites agree that cops are too quick to shoot at African Americans and then 60% feel that there is no racial bias? That seems contradictory.

Dude Abides

Banned
Of course. White people really really don't like it when black people air their grievances. Look at supposed rational liberal Sam Harris and the dumb shit he says about BLM. Hillary's embrace of BLM at the DNC probably led to her losing counties 80-20 that Obama only lost 60-40 before BLM was a thing.

How can 45% of whites agree that cops are too quick to shoot at African Americans and then 60% feel that there is no racial bias? That seems contradictory.
Because they don't see it as a racial thing; they see it as a "cops wouldn't shoot if they didn't feel threatened" thing.

White people always push back against black people on every level micro and macro. It's persistent on every facet of life.

But it's good that there's so much toughness against blm in particular because so far it has made them stronger. It just keeps improving.

Because erasing the racial factor is a common refrain. "Yeah X was bad but did it really have to do with race?" "Ok this incident was disgusting but I think people are even more disgusting for jumping on calling this perpetrator a racist". People didn't want to call that woman who lied about 3 black guys raping her a racist. Hell, there's been a scary contingent of people who want to talk about how the civil war was about "economic anxiety" rather than racism. People think racist is a dirty word to the point of being a slur and hesitate to use it even in clear cut situations. It's an effort to try and deny that race and racism are still major factor in modern society.

I'm not surprised. We have a movement who just want police to stop killing innocent or unarmed black people, and be held accountable for their actions. Yet that's something to disagree with to those white people because fuck anyone with brown skin.

We have a black QB who held a silent nonviolent protest on the same issue, and now gets treated worse than a criminal.

CazTGG

To put this into perspective, Toronto, one of Canada's largest and most diverse cities, support for Black Lives Matter is around 55%, and that's in spite of the overall negative coverage of their branch of BLM gets. Speaking of...

The stalled the parade without any notice and refused to move until their demands were met, in my opinion that qualifies as strong-arming. That put the parade organizers in a difficult spot, forcing them to agree with the demands, though they soon recanted their agreement.

Bullshit, Pride voted in favor of the agreements months after the incident.

I am sick and tired of the misinformation surrounding Pride Toronto/BLM TO like the above, the JAQs who feign concern over equality in order to preserve the status quo and, most importantly, the people who seem to ignore the black people who make up the LGBTQ2+ community and the anger aimed at that group because the police don't get a float at an event that started as a protest against the police for discrimination against that same community in the 80s while they target them with the likes of Project Marie.

If a "moderate" wants nothing to change because of their apathy to everyone else, they're really just a conservative in denial.

Absolutely right. And they don't. Moderates these days speak in terms of, "Well I...but..."

Well I don't think Black Lives Matter is totally bad, but...
Well I'm not a Trump supporter, but...
Well I'm not racist, but...
Well I'm not sexist, but...

Same bullshit, over and over again.

You cannot be a moderate in today's America. Either you acknowledge the systemic and institutional racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia and all the other phobias of non-white, non-Christians in this wannabe-modern society, and you understand why counter-groups exist, or you pretend that "both sides" are extreme and peddle your "middle ground" bullshit.

You claim feminism is a problem as if it randomly came about because women hate men, even though it was borne out of inequality between men and women.

You claim Black Lives Matter is some insidious movement to destroy white America that popped out of nowhere, even though it was borne out of inequality between blacks and whites.

You believe that any group that attempts to reach equality will actually cause an inequality if they achieve their goal.

You are a piece of shit. You have no awareness of history or current events. Your political and social awareness revolves around the notion that an attempt by a subjugated group to gain equality is in itself extremism that should be avoided. You're a fucking idiot. In an ideal, modern society you'd be mocked for your shitty, spineless views.

We only want people to understand that it is not right for those charged with protecting and serving our communities, to kill unarmed black men, black women, and black children with no justice to those killed....why would you view this negatively?

I don't understand these humans...I don't understand the fools who comment under black empowerment videos negatively and I don't understand why everyone jumped on "Dear White People" when the show is awesome...

L Thammy

Fox News and right wing media. My dad only watches Fox and only trusts them and Mark Levin; also, he used to be a state trooper

If that's all you follow, you only see rioters, thugs, threats to kill cops, and so on

Would he have no opinion on them at all if right wing media ignored them, then? Don't mean that as an accusation, I'm genuinely curious about this.

It's not quite the same thing, but I know my mother loves to give ridiculous medical advice. Some of it is from chain letters and Dr. Oz, but a lot of it is just stuff that she makes up on the spot so that she has something to complain about. We're close with our extended family, and a lot of the members of our extended family are in various medical disciplines and who should have the relevant knowledge, but she doesn't actually care enough to consult them about any of these things and expects us to trust her over them.

I also have a cousin who is a programmer but will also try to "correct" other members of the family about medical knowledge in the specific fields they have studied and worked in. He isn't reading bad sources; he wants to show off his knowledge while not having any sources at all.

Some of the arguments I've seen from these sort of topics, particularly from people who are apathetic, strike me as mechanically similar. People creating information to fit their interests.

bionic77

They'll never empathize because they don't see a son, husband, father, etc walking home; they see a police officer doing his job, self defense, "if they felt threatened, they have to protect themselves", the person killed was obviously in the wrong or else the cop wouldn't have killed him

Fox News and right wing media. My dad only watches Fox and only trusts them and Mark Levin; also, he used to be a state trooper

I don't think I could respect another human being who has so little empathy for his fellow man.

I know people like your dad and it annoyed me when the Travon Martin shit was going down and they seemed to have a million excuses for the murder and zero empathy for the kid but now I am like fuck you and your shit ever since Trump has won and the US is officially a white nationalist shithole. I feel like I am done compromising. I am going to stop watching NFL games and stop associating with people who have such shitty views.

Top Bottom