• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info on Google Pixel 2: You're not gonna like it...

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How the fuck is in love with that chin over there at Google?

The headphone jack I can kinda forgive, but not that chin.

JaseMath

I could be wrong but from what I understand the first set of renders were of the Pixel XL 2 [Taimen?] and the most recent are of the Pixel 2. The renders align with the previous rumors on the differences between the devices. XL 2 all the way for me.

If that's the case, then count me in. The Pixel XL 2 is way too big a phone for me anyway. Hope this is accurate!

Davide

If the rumor about the Moto X4 coming to Project Fi are false then I'm probably gonna jump ship in favor of the One Plus and TMobile. Maybe the Moto Z2 Play.
The OP5 is a fantastic phone. Like an iPhone 7 but with an OLED, headphone jack, faster fingerprint reader, better portrait mode, slightly smaller bezels, and Android customization. It has the best and I believe fastest charging battery of any flagship phone. Much less expensive than an S8 and I'll worry less about dropping it. The only complaint I have is the lack of optical image stabilization.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The iPhone SE and the Moto E4 come to mind.

Fuck it, going to buy the Cat S60

caterpillar-s60-9360-001.jpg

Actually I guess Softbank has the Aquos Xx2 mini which could be ok. But it's old so pass on that too.

00.jpg

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
If the renders for the XL2 are accurate I'm in. I'll learn how to live without a headphone jack.

JaseMath

Alright, well...it looks like the shitty version with the chin is actually the smaller version. Dammit, I want vanilla Android on a beautiful device, but not on an enormous phone. :(

EDIT: Unless these case renders are accurate, in which case I'll get my wish!

killroy87

Alright, well...it looks like the shitty version with the chin is actually the smaller version. Dammit, I want vanilla Android on a beautiful device, but not on an enormous phone. :(

EDIT: Unless these case renders are accurate, in which case I'll get my wish!

That's supposed to be the regular pixel?

Welp, I was going to hold out for the 2 but with this nonsense and the design being basically the same, looks like I might just pull the plug on the first one while it's still available. Maybe by the time I have to upgrade next someone will have come out with a new wireless protocol that doesn't suck. I'm still not sure I trust the USB-C port with the abuse that the headphone jack can take (God knows the Lightning port isn't able to take it.)

Still don't see why any consumer would actually be in favor of this. Literally the only reason the phone makers are doing it is to externalize some of the components and pass the burden on to you to replace/maintain.

Welp, I was going to hold out for the 2 but with this nonsense and the design being basically the same, looks like I might just pull the plug on the first one while it's still available. Maybe by the time I have to upgrade next someone will have come out with a new wireless protocol that doesn't suck. I'm still not sure I trust the USB-C port with the abuse that the headphone jack can take (God knows the Lightning port isn't able to take it.)

Still don't see why any consumer would actually be in favor of this. Literally the only reason the phone makers are doing it is to externalize some of the components and pass the burden on to you to replace/maintain.

Faceless, I'm going to cut off your legs. But wait, before you start making a fuss, these legs are wayyyy better than your old ones, you can do all kinds of stuff with these new ones that you just couldn't with your old ones. You might be thinking, like what? well lucky for you, I've got the answer to that. You've got built in LED lights! I mean how fucking cool is that right? On top of that,been spraypainted some super cool hotrod flames onto your new prosthetics, sick right? Now you have to charge these every 12 hours or they don't work, they're not nearly as affordable as the legs you were born with and also unless you buy our athlete add on, you can't run, like at all. Maybe jog at a medium pace but that's about it. They also don't work as well as regular human legs. But that's okay! Because we're leaving your arms and knees intact in case you ever run into a situation where your legs arent working. But trust me, these are better, they just work and they look so damn cool. And I mean, if you ever get cancer at least it can't spread to your legs amirite? Just trust us, this is what you want.

Also we've already cut off your legs to make the transition as quick as possible, don't worry, you'll get used to it.

Klotera

Headphone jack removal is dumb, no defending that.

Bezels, though.. sure, it's not sexy, but it is not a factor that overrides the benefits of quick updates and smoother performance with stock Android.

I have a Pixel XL and my wife got an S8+. When I see her using it, the user experience makes me glad I have the Pixel, regardless of how much sexier the form factor is.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
don't care about waterproof. if a phone has it then cool but if not then it's not a deal breaking. as for no 3.5mm jack...i don't really care much either.

i'm gonna wait until both pixel 2 and iphone 8 are out before deciding what to get. honestly it'll probably just come down to what one i think looks best.

PudieRSC

I don't mind too much about the headphone jack. I have Bluetooth headphones and I don't care too much about AMAZING audio quality. But I was waiting on the Pixel 2 and regardless everything I see makes me less and less excited. My biggest thing honestly is being able to put in an SD card, because unlimited data doesnt exist where I am so I download all my music.

I was gonna go for the Sony XZ Premium but from what I can tell that's not available in Canada. I had a Galaxy S3 before and didn't really love it.

Not sure what I'm gonna do for my next phone. Might just go with the original Pixel XL.

(Currently have the LGG4)

andthebeatgoeson

For everyone: pixel 1 is at $524 on Google's store. A lot of people seem interested now and last year, Google stopped selling the Nexus 6p right after announcing the pixel.

For everyone: pixel 1 is at $524 on Google's store. A lot of people seem interested now and last year, Google stopped selling the Nexus 6p right after announcing the pixel.

I'm a torn between one plus five and this...only reason I would prefer Google's phone is higher quality and faster updates directly from big G...

Audioboxer

Jesus...LOL. No headphone jack (don't care regardless but the Android community will be furious, especially after the mocking of Apple in advertising), no water or dust resistance, and the huge chin and forehead bezels with on screen buttons taking up even more space. Yikes.

Google hardware engineers seem to be trying to do everything possible to destroy the Nexus legacy and have bets on how quickly they can make the Pixel unpopular. All while trying to convince the world the Pixel should come at a top end price.

You have a monopoly Google, and make more money than you can count, but what are you doing with your phones?

linkboy

I'm a torn between one plus five and this...only reason I would prefer Google's phone is higher quality and faster updates directly from big G...

Nothing would please me more then for One Plus's phones to work on Verizon. My choices here in South Dakota are Verizon and AT&T and the AT&T network here isn't all that great.

Hmm I'm thinking about jumping on this. I got a Project Fi Nexus 5X and it broke yesterday. It randomly shut down at 80% battery and then just wouldn't turn back on. It was still under warranty so Google is sending a replacement, but I might just get this to use instead. How long will it be this price?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Evidence is mounting I'm not buying a pixel.

then again I just bought a DAP so maybe who cares.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wonder if this one will be released in Sweden. The original Pixel wasn't, at all. Goggle sells zero phones here now. It's weird, because the various Nexus phones have always (or at least since the GNex, which was my first) been available to buy here, and those were enthusiast/nerd/reference phones. The Pixel was supposedly the first phone they actually wanted to sell to regular people, and then they go and not even sell it in most of the world. Again, weird.

Jeff-DSA

Not sure why everybody is so jazzed about tiny bezels. It's nice to have some surface on the face that's not touch sensitive. The lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack guarantees that I'm out, however. I'll stick with the Pixel XL for another year before deciding what to do. Hopefully the Pixel 3 line will bring back the headphone jack.

gcubed

Not sure why everybody is so jazzed about tiny bezels. It's nice to have some surface on the face that's not touch sensitive. The lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack guarantees that I'm out, however. I'll stick with the Pixel XL for another year before deciding what to do. Hopefully the Pixel 3 line will bring back the headphone jack.

I have bad news for you

dcll

Banned
Yeah the headphone jack is gone for good, I personally dont care but it is a bunch of bs that these companies do away with something as basic and universal as a headphone port. And for what great benefit?

Top Bottom