• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info on Google Pixel 2: You're not gonna like it...

SliChillax

You don't understand. No headphone jack = dead in the water. You can't listen to music with wired headphones anymore. And your audiophile-grade headphones stop working as soon as you touch the phone.
Umm there are wired headphones/earphones with usb type c. Worst case scenario you'll use an adapter for a normal headphone jack to usb type c

Ash735

The Pixel was DOA outside of America anyway, if this news is true Pixel 2 might as well it bother launching in Europe. In some stores the Pixel was more expensive than an iPhone!

CS_Dan

Umm there are wired headphones/earphones with usb type c. Worst case scenario you'll use an adapter for a normal headphone jack to usb type c
If the phone doesn't have a headphone jack, it probably also doesn't have a DAC. So you'll have to get an adapter with a decent DAC built in, which is getting expensive and unwieldy for literally no benefit.

It might have a DAC anyway, but then why not have the headphone jack? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

The Pixel was DOA outside of America anyway, if this news is true Pixel 2 might as well it bother launching in Europe. In some stores the Pixel was more expensive than an iPhone!
The Pixel is still 759€ in Germany and only available through Google or T mobile.

Google has no clue on how to sell their phones, Nexus, Pixel, whatever they call it. It's like they simply stop caring a few months after release on how to actually sell them.

Man, I might have to get the Pixel 2 anyway after reading this and watching a 4 minute video on best new Android O features here (Video after Nuts and Bolts section):

https://www.cnet.com/news/ios-11-versus-android-o-whos-winning-so-far/

Android has come a long way. I think it's just as good of an operating system as iOS now, if not better.
Floating windows, stock Android as usual LTTP.

jm89

So you can't listen to music with a wired headset and charge at the same time on the iphone without a special adapter? What is this 1999? Let's just all go back to living in caves.

I don't get the love for small bezels. Having one almost bezel less phone I hate how I constantly touch the screen inadvertently simply by holding the phone. It's bad on the sides when you are carrying it over on your hand, and when in landscape mode trying to watch a movie but have so little state to actually hold the phone.

Ash735

IMHO, the price of Bluetooth headphones are so cheap, I wonder why people still use tethered headphones.
Because some of us have brilliant headphones/earphones already that we use across a range of devices, to get the same spec on Bluetooth we'd have to pay much more just because phone makers want to shave off a damn mm.

Vuze

I was being sarcastic. Some people act like they are forced to use bluetooth just because there's no 3.5mm jack anymore 😄

SliChillax

If the phone doesn't have a headphone jack, it probably also doesn't have a DAC. So you'll have to get an adapter with a decent DAC built in, which is getting expensive and unwieldy for literally no benefit.

It might have a DAC anyway, but then why not have the headphone jack? ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Because if you're gonna use a good DAC might as well use usb type c which sounds better than a headphone jack.

Sound quality is very much a personal thing. Good bluetooth headphones sound decent to me (certainly not shit!) but they are still prohibitively expensive (relative to wired variants). This will change as the tech develops. Maybe some people really do find the sound "awful"... kind of like how some people rage against displays not being calibrated properly etc. Most people don't care, but they never really have when it comes to these things.

I think it's fine to have an extreme quality stance on pretty much anything, as long as you are realistic in recognizing it as something 95% of people don't care about and your preferences aren't going to be a big market force.
I wholly agree.

entremet

BB AJ vindicated. I can see headphone jacks being removed in most high end smartphones in the next 3 years.

proto

I also want it to not shut off with 30% of the battery left for no reason at all, unlike my Nexus 6P, which might be the worst device I have ever bought.

Yeah I'm having a love-hate relationship with my Nexus 6P. I LOVE the clean UI sans-bloatware (fuck you Samsung), but the battery issues and size of the device are maddening. The devices really degrade in quality after a year or so.

Caayn

The one major change is that the device will reportedly feature stereo speakers at the expense of a 3.5mm headphone jack.
Great, so now you and everyone around you can enjoy "fantastic" stereo sound.

Why not make the phone a few millimetres thicker?

Raptomex

I have never had the desire to get my phone wet. The lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack is a irritating, though.

Great, so now you and everyone around you can enjoy "fantastic" stereo sound.

Why not make the phone a few millimetres thicker?
I doubt the thinness of the phone is the issue. There are some very thin phones out there with headphone jacks. Google, like every other company removing headphone jacks, is just doing it because they can, not because there's a legitimate reason to do so.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Pixel was DOA in America really. They barely sold a million units.

VertPin

Jesus...LOL. No headphone jack (don't care regardless but the Android community will be furious, especially after the mocking of Apple in advertising), no water or dust resistance, and the huge chin and forehead bezels with on screen buttons taking up even more space. Yikes.

rYGtItm.jpg

Dobsie

Nokia 8/9 you're our last hope...

If they stick to wanting to be the spiritual successor to the Nexus line.

snap

Banned
I doubt the thinness of the phone is the issue. There are some very thin phones out there with headphone jacks. Google, like every other company removing headphone jacks, is just doing it because they can, not because there's a legitimate reason to do so.

well apple kicked all of this off because they wanted to put in a taptic engine for the home button without fundamentally redesigning the casing of the iPhone 7. it's especially dumb cuz they could've just as easily just made the home button a capacitive button without the vibrations to make it feel like it's pressing down and nobody would've cared but they needed to justify that R&D on a innovation that nobody wanted in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nokia 8/9 you're our last hope...

If they stick to wanting to be the spiritual successor to the Nexus line.

I'm a little confused why people are so excited for the new Nokia phones. Their designs seem ultra-generic and they don't really have much over other OEMs. Old Nokia had great hardware design and great cameras, but the new Nokia doesn't have the former and it remains to be seen for the latter, though there are a bevy of phones with good cameras these days.

I guess stock Android and fast updates is what people are hoping for, but Moto and HTC also have something similar and nobody wants to give them the time of day.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
All you people complaining about the loss of a headphone jack need to get on the Bluetooth headphone bandwagon. You will never go back.

bluetooth has been available on literally every smartphone and people still use wires. That should tell you something.

JaseMath

bluetooth has be available on literally every smartphone and people still use wires. That should tell you something.

They still sell 1080p television sets, too.

If you're looking for audio fidelity, I understand the argument. But for those of us who listen to music on our smartphones for exercise or other, on-the-go activities, the advantages of the Bluetooth far outweigh the disadvantages. This is just my opinion, but after switching, having a wired set of earbuds seems archaic.

Chris R

If you're looking for audio fidelity, I understand the argument. But for those of us who listen to music on our smartphones for exercise or other, on-the-go activities, the advantages of the Bluetooth far outweigh the disadvantages. This is just my opinion, but after switching, having a wired set of earbuds seems archaic.

They still sell 1080p TVs

Imagine how well the 4k TVs would do if you couldn't view 1080 content on them? Or had to buy a $30 adapter to view the 1080p content?

It's great that people love bluetooth headsets, but that doesn't mean kill the thing other people like as well.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

that's part of it but mostly it's that the options have been there for everyone and now for reasons unknown one is being removed and instead of thinking "huh, that's not something I use but it's nice having a universal standard that's been around for decades and is supported by everything" is instead met with "why we still got floppy disks lol" like you must know that just because it's "old" technology doesn't make it bad. If Apple (and we'll pick them since they started this) actually come up with a single compelling reason to remove it I would listen instead they talk about "courage" like that means anything to anyone except the company that spent $3bn buying a headphone company a year before. In an industry that continues to learn all the wrong lessons because "Apple did it and they make lots of money so that's what we'll do" it just sucks for everyone else.

tuxfool

Banned
They still sell 1080p television sets, too..

Awful analogy.

People use wired headphones because they are higher fidelity, you don't have to worry about battery charging and limited shelf life due to the nature of batteries.

On top of that trifecta, wired headphones "just work", unlike bluetooth which ranges from shitshow to mildly dodgy.

lunchtoast

All you people complaining about the loss of a headphone jack need to get on the Bluetooth headphone bandwagon. You will never go back.

Bluetooth headphones don't last a full work day. When the battery dies then you've got nothing. I use a transceiver I can plug my earphones into so if it dies I can still plug them into my phone.

I wish my Pixel XL had stereo speakers, but nothing about the Nu-Pixel XL makes me even slightly interested in upgrading this year.

I will happily hold onto this phone until 2018, at least.

Skux

Too early to tell and I highly doubt Google will remove it, considering the shit they gave Apple for not having one.

Remember people saying that the Galaxy S8 was "confirmed" to have no headphone jack? lol

Dobsie

I'm a little confused why people are so excited for the new Nokia phones. Their designs seem ultra-generic and they don't really have much over other OEMs. Old Nokia had great hardware design and great cameras, but the new Nokia doesn't have the former and it remains to be seen for the latter, though there are a bevy of phones with good cameras these days.

I guess stock Android and fast updates is what people are hoping for, but Moto and HTC also have something similar and nobody wants to give them the time of day.
The design of the rumoured 8/9 is a bit generic but it has flagship specs and a headphone jack. Only thing that's a bit disappointing to me is the fairly large bezels when pretty much all the other flagships have shrunk theirs. I don't know if this is the case elsewhere but here in the UK people seem to have a fond affinity towards Nokia of yesteryear.
Moto is stock but they haven't proved themselves on timely updates and their/Lenovo's warranty service is absolute shit.

robosllim

I already need to charge my watch, my book, and my cigarettes. I don't want to have to charge my headphones too.

But yeah, I was thinking the OnePlus would probably be my next phone. Haven't done much research since it'll still be a while, but at least I can cross one more phone off the list of ones to consider.

Awful analogy.

People use wired headphones because they are higher fidelity, you don't have to worry about battery charging and limited shelf life due to the nature of batteries.

On top of that trifecta, wired headphones "just work", unlike bluetooth which ranges from shitshow to mildly dodgy.
I think 'it's been common and packed in with 100% of audio devices' is really the biggest reason that people use wired headphones. Not higher fidelity and battery shelf life.

Wait...what? I thought the CAD renders were accurate and really recent... :( :( :(

I could be wrong but from what I understand the first set of renders were of the Pixel XL 2 [Taimen?] and the most recent are of the Pixel 2. The renders align with the previous rumors on the differences between the devices. XL 2 all the way for me.

tuxfool

Banned
I think 'it's been common and packed in with 100% of audio devices' is really the biggest reason that people use wired headphones. Not higher fidelity and battery shelf life.

Sure, but if they ever changed then they'd have to deal with the shitshow. They're in the ignorance is bliss category. Unfortunately they're likely to be educated by force.

Unless, they start packing in bluetooth headphones

heh...

Kthulhu

God damnit Google. Why don't they understand how to make a compelling flagship? Did they fire the people responsible for the Nexus line?

Happy I have a OnePlus 5.

If the rumor about the Moto X4 coming to Project Fi are false then I'm probably gonna jump ship in favor of the One Plus and TMobile. Maybe the Moto Z2 Play.

Top Bottom