• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Media Create Hardware Chart

mutsu

For those interested, Screw Breaker's first week sold 6161 copies according to the latest Famitsu charts (which is from 9/19 - 9/25).

Culex

Banned
gamewhooper said:
Weren't there like five new PSP releases and no DS releases?

Yes.

This was also going to be "the week" that the PSP outsold the DS again.

...just like WE9

...and the new color

...and the new releases.

:D

Twix

actually I thought the psp is really dead in japan, but these numbers make me @&$(%_)^)^&^#hG:%*+=~" !!

PSP is actually selling not too bad, it just can't keep pace with the DS.

I think though during the holidays, you're going to see DS shift into a higher gear sales wise and that's when you'll really see a big gap between the DS and PSP.

The type of lineup they've put together is outstanding.

Beowvlf

Banned
Am I the only fucking person on this forum that is both surprised and elated that BOTH the PSP and DS are selling so well? I mean, does it really matter who's beating who when both systems sell 75k combined in a single week?!

And LOFL to those who think a system that sells 31k in a week is dead or dying.

Heian-kyo said:
Am I the only fucking person on this forum that is both surprised and elated that BOTH the PSP and DS are selling so well? I mean, does it really matter who's beating who when both systems sell 75k combined in a single week?!

Well, it's doing that amount hot off a new color, a huge franchise game, a Gundam game that sold a million on the PS2, and several other recent releases.

There isn't much more to look forward to over there besides Crisis Core. Brain Training might do well but it doesn't have the interface and probably won't have the quality because of it. The userbases for the systems are also really different from each other. Plus, it releases on the same day as Feel the Magic 2, Super Princess Peach, and Pokemon Torouze.

Twix said:
it isn’t dead :)

Oh okay then. I'm not really worried over PSP sales. Some may wish otherwise but PSP isn't really going anywhere, both systems are surviving; it's interesting how different Japan and North America differ in sales between PSP/DS though.

Jonnyram

yoopoo said:
Isn't Izzy an offical Sony viral marketer?
I think he's happy that the gap has been narrowed down to 13k ;)
The state of PS2 must be up for question though... it's been down in the low 20s for a long time now.

Beowvlf

Banned
Interesting factoid for those who still believe the PSP can't possibly outsell the DS:

DS revenue = 43,362 x 14800Y = 641,757,600Y ($5.66 million USD)
PSP revenue = 31,702 x 24580Y* = 779,235,160Y ($6.87 million USD)

OMGWTF?! Japanese gamers actually spent more on the PSP than the DS! Nintendo of course jumps way ahead when you calculate in their software sales, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Just something to ponder.

*The average price of the PSP was calculated based on the 3 different prices of the system (Core black PSP, Value pack black PSP and Value pack white PSP). Amazon.co.jp has the core black selling the least, so that combined with the 2 value packs versus the 1 core pack, I estimated a 75/25 split of value to core. Fair IMO. Please state otherwise if you disagree.

EDIT: I just found out that the core pack is actually only available online, which would significantly lower sales of such. Thus I have changed the ratio from 75/25 to 90/10. Again, if you disagree, please say so. Especially if you live in Japan and have a better perception of such than I.

monkeyrun

Heian-kyo said:
Interesting factoid for those who still believe the PSP can't possibly outsell the DS:

PSP revenue = 31,702 x 24025Y* = 761,640,550Y ($6.72 million USD)

OMGWTF?! Japanese gamers actually spent more on the PSP than the DS! Nintendo of course jumps way ahead when you calculate in their software sales, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Just something to ponder.

*The average price of the PSP was calculated based on the 3 different prices of the system (Core black PSP, Value pack black PSP and Value pack white PSP). Amazon.co.jp has the core black selling the least, so that combined with the 2 value packs versus the 1 core pack, I estimated a 75/25 split of value to core. Fair IMO. Please state otherwise if you disagree.
you are trying really hard :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Heian-kyo said:

PSP revenue = 31,702 x 24025Y* = 761,640,550Y ($6.72 million USD)

Now shall we calculate profit off each system sold as well? :)

Dalthien

Heian-kyo said:

The 31,000 is a bit of an anamoly at the moment. It will continue to fall back to its regular 20,000 - 22,000 per week, before getting a boost for the holidays. After that, though, I think that it might be in danger of falling down to 15,000 or below once we get through the holidays. The real problem with the PSP (in Japan - not elsewhere) is the software sales. It seems many in Japan are buying the PSP as a media device, not a gaming system. For much of the summer, DS software was outselling PSP software 10:1. That has changed these last three weeks, because the PSP has had 13 or 14 new releases, compared with 2 or 3 for the DS. Even so, DS software has still been outselling PSP software these last three weeks.

PSP software is just dead. Except for WE9, no new title released after March has even come close to 100,000 units sold. In fact, Tenchu is the best-selling title (other than WE9) released after March to even reach 50,000 (it sold 54,000 through Aug). That's over 6 months now without a title doing more than 54,000 except for WE9, and WE9 will struggle to reach 200,000 (a disappointment). That is just not healthy for a system which you suggest is doing so well.

Obviously, the PSP isn't going anywhere. Software sales have been very steady in the US, and by all accounts SW sales are off to a good start in Europe as well. The real danger is that Japan-centric SW will start to taper off for the PSP. Similar Japanese titles cost more to develop on the PSP, and sell less units than the DS. And it looks as though the DS is set to destroy the PSP this holiday season (in Japan), especially with respect to software.

Dalthien said:
The 31,000 is a bit of an anamoly at the moment. It will continue to fall back to its regular 20,000 - 22,000 per week, before getting a boost for the holidays. After that, though, I think that it might be in danger of falling down to 15,000 or below once we get through the holidays. The real problem with the PSP (in Japan - not elsewhere) is the software sales. It seems many in Japan are buying the PSP as a media device, not a gaming system. For much of the summer, DS software was outselling PSP software 10:1. That has changed these last three weeks, because the PSP has had 13 or 14 new releases, compared with 2 or 3 for the DS. Even so, DS software has still been outselling PSP software these last three weeks.

PSP software is just dead. Except for WE9, no new title released after March has even come close to 100,000 units sold. In fact, Tenchu is the best-selling title (other than WE9) released after March to even reach 50,000 (it sold 54,000 through Aug). That's over 6 months now without a title doing more than 54,000 except for WE9, and WE9 will struggle to reach 200,000 (a disappointment). That is just not healthy for a system which you suggest is doing so well.

Obviously, the PSP isn't going anywhere. Software sales have been very steady in the US, and by all accounts SW sales are off to a good start in Europe as well. The real danger is that Japan-centric SW will start to taper off for the PSP. Similar Japanese titles cost more to develop on the PSP, and sell less units than the DS. And it looks as though the DS is set to destroy the PSP this holiday season (in Japan), especially with respect to software.

I wouldn't really care about that last paragraph, but there goes a lot of Japanese support. And I'm sure as hell not going to pay for sports ports or "mature" overpriced titles that the western developers are churning out for the PSP. Besides Crisis Core, Extreme G&G, and Legend of Heroes, Suikoden 1 and 2, I really just see GTA and Pursuit Force interesting me for the western games.

It's interesting to see how now the DS is getting Tenchu and Tales games.

heidern

This was an awful week for the psp. Back when the DS had the Kirby+Colours boost(yes, that again) the pattern for sales was 22K -> 55K -> 42K -> 30K. The psp pattern has been 22K -> 70K -> 50K -> 31K. So the boost was quicker, but the rate of slowdown is quicker with a massive 40% drop this week. What makes it really bad is that the DS wasn't getting any new releases but the psp got 5 brand new games this week. It's not dead yet, there's been 150K psps sold in the past 3 weeks, but sales are heading back down to 20K a week and there's nothing on the horizon to change that other than the usual holiday boost. Anyone can see there was huge potential demand for the psp but SCEJ have totally blown it with an atrocious line up this year that is more worthy of something like the 3DO rather than a competitive modern system.

That compares with Nintendo who have an unbelievable year end line-up. December sees the release of 5 Killer apps that could sell over 500K; Dragon Quest Slime Mori Mori, Mario Kart Online, Mushiking DS, Mario & Luigi RPG 2 and of course Brain Training 2. That's pretty much unprecedented and the DS could well break some records this holiday(and I'm not talking about easter).

mutsu

You forgot Super Monkey Ball DS heidern. But it never sold well in Japan so I guess that doesn't count. Still a great game though.

Oh yeah, and this one you really forgot. Pawa-pro kun Pocket 8, which was a killer app on the GBA.

Deku

Banned
Izzy said:
AM HERE!

DS 43,362
PSP 31,702
GBM 30,065
PS2 24,638
GBASP 10,751
GC 1,958
GBA 397
Xbox 112

Well the PSP has outperformed its previous performance breaking the 30k mark and the DS weekly hardware leads has been cut from its previous highs when at times, it outsold the PSP by more than a 2 :1 margin.

Nintendo shouldn't grow complacent as another round of releases and 1 big title could push the PSP over the top. It remains to be seen how well the next slate of DS software will help the platform. I suspect there will be a spike effect for next few charts from all the fence sitters going out to get a DS in preparation for the Final Fantasy and other new games announced for it.

mj1108

Deku said:
Nintendo shouldn't grow complacent as another round of releases and 1 big title could push the PSP over the top.

In the last 3 weeks, Sony has released a White PSP, FF7:AC, Winning Eleven and about 13-14 other titles.... and the DS still came out on top.

The way November and December are looking, Nintendo isn't complacent at all -- far from it as every indication shows Sony getting bitchslapped this holiday season in Japan with the lineup the DS has.

Deku

Banned
mj1108 said:
In the last 3 weeks, Sony has released a White PSP, FF7:AC, Winning Eleven and about 13-14 other titles.... and the DS still came out on top.

The way November and December are looking, Nintendo isn't complacent at all -- far from it as every indication shows Sony getting bitchslapped this holiday season in Japan with the lineup the DS has.

All I'm saying is, I don't trust GAF's appraisals of game quality. The most unexpected games are doing well for DS, although Tamagotchi, from what I hear is a lot of fun. But it will probably be called a non-game here and I don't see a tamagotchi appreciation thread.

For the first party stuff Animal Crossing will do ok, and Mario Kart as that franchise is huge in Japan. Everything else is a roll of the dice. I think the next huge seller will be unexpected but then again, DS could enter a period where nothing released sells very well. When I mean complacent, I put it in terms of thinking they have it in the bag.

The third parties this week has shown that they are bowing to the expected winner but it can still go either way. That said, yes, I think DS will make a killing in the next few months. But you never know.

Merlin

Banned
Heian-kyo said:

EDIT: I just found out that the core pack is actually only available online, which would significantly lower sales of such. Thus I have changed the ratio from 75/25 to 90/10. Again, if you disagree, please say so. Especially if you live in Japan and have a better perception of such than I.

pike1.jpg

maharg

idspispopd
Heian-kyo said:

Here's the thing. The PSP may have sold 10% or whatever more in revenue, but that does not translate into a 10% increase in software sales. There are still fewer new PSP users out there than new DS users.

And we all know which is the razor blade in this model, right?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
maharg said:
Here's the thing. The PSP may have sold 10% or whatever more in revenue, but that does not translate into a 10% increase in software sales. There are still fewer new PSP users out there than new DS users.

And we all know which is the razor blade in this model, right?
While I do agree with you, you only had to emphasize the razor blade model. I wonder what the margin/loss on the psp would be compared to the DS...I'm sure an accountant would have a good laugh picking up the actual profit numbers.

Lionheart

What's the price of the PS2 in Japan, btw? And when was its last price cut there?

Edit: Found it, Amazon price is 17200 yen or 151 dollar. Seems to be some room for a price drop in the holidays, just like in the west.

HooDoo

I for one find the PS2 sales quite reassuring, 70K units per week after years on the market was kind of sick. It's nice to see the top of the chart occupied by something else and the PS2 userbase is huge enough anyway.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Will this Nintendo dominance trend translate in US and EU as well? Nintendogs seems to be selling like hot cakes. And to tell the truth I haven't touched my psp since I got castlevania and advance wars. Is it enough to predict a shift as in Japan, or is this market really something else?

marc^o^ said:
Will this Nintendo dominance trend translate in US and EU as well? Nintendogs seems to be selling like hot cakes. And to tell the truth I haven't touched my psp since I got castlevania and advance wars. Is it enough to predict a shift as in Japan, or is this market really something else?

We'll know soon enough...personally, I'm pretty skeptical of a Nintendogs turn-around here in the US. It's definitely helped, but I'll be surprised if the DS outsold the PSP in September. They'll both explode for the holidays, but I think the DS might get a little more of a boost because of the dogs, the price, and the GBA compatibility. Still probably not enough to outsell the PSP, but probably enough to fend off a US LTD sales overtake this year.

argon

The PSP draws some parallels to the N64, imho:

Many people predicted the PSX would be crushed by the N64 due to Nintendo's prior successes. But N64 development turned out to be more difficult and costly compared to PSX development. It still did pretty well in the US, but rather poorly in Japan, causing Japanese developer support to dry up, which made the release list pretty sparse in between killer titles.

NWO

Izzy said:
AM HERE!

DS 43,362
PSP 31,702
GBM 30,065
PS2 24,638
GBASP 10,751
GC 1,958
GBA 397
Xbox 112

Good to see that Ninja Gaiden Black has skyrocketed the Xbox pass the triple digit mark this week. :lol

Top Bottom