• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

i used the stylus and yeah i can see how it could damage it. On mine it did "chip" it a little, but I want to stress it is like such a tiny amount that you can't notice it. However, after multiple removals it could be an issue. thankfully for most users, after you put in a 32 or 64GB card you probably will never need to open it again... until your next transfer or whatever

so for the moment i really don't know if much can be done... it is clamped on there pretty good so it's hard to be too careful when removing it

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of because I got the MH4 LE one.

gogogow

So how did you guys take off the back plate without damaging it? I'm hearing that if you use the stylus to pry it open, it scratches it or chips it.

Just use your nails to gently pull the flap from the side, where the indentation is and lift up. Do it one side at a time. No damage here or whatsoever.

For me, no chips or scratches (at least I didn't see any yet). it did make the hole where put the end of the stylus a bit bigger, but not as bad as I thought it would be. You need to use a bit of force to get it unhinged, but not too much though. Once one side was loose, I went to the other side and got that one loose.After that no problems.

Key is not using too much force to get it open and be patient. Screws were no problem BTW.

Just use your nails to gently pull the flap from the side, where the indentation is and lift up. Do it one side at a time. No damage here or whatsoever.

Alright, thanks for the tips!

So after reading the transfer thread I'm still a little cautious. Here is what I think I should do...

Already have a microSD card with adapter on old 3DS XL.
Begin system transfer on both systems and chose PC.
Say no to using SD card.
When they turn off I move my MicroSD card to new 3DS XL.

Sounds right?

Rich!

So after reading the transfer thread I'm still a little cautious. Here is what I think I should do...

Say no to using SD card.

Sounds right?

Nope! Don't select the PC option!!

There's an option for people like you who are already using a micro SD in an adapter. Use that one. That option assumes you are able to take the micro SD out of the adapter and put it straight into the New 3DS.

shiyrley

Banned
Hello North America, come hate me :p

I got my New 3DS today (well, "yesterday", it's 1:48 AM here already... yeah I sleep late). It's the small one. I also got Majora's Mask collector's edition. I didn't have the money for a cover though, but I will wait for the black Zelda one, and a Xenoblade one if they decide to release one. Welp, some pics.

Lp17s7g.jpg

fAJJ74p.jpg

Or9DxUU.jpg

The Majora's Mask stuff rocking in my room:

We don't get the Skull Kid figure with Majora's Mask CE though. We only get it with the New 3DS XL Majora's Mask edition, which I'm not going to buy.

I'm really happy though. :D

Mzo

Say no to using SD card.

Sounds right?

Your 2nd and 3rd steps are redundant. You're going to say no because you have a micro SD and it's never going to go to the PC option. At the end you switch cards and you're done. It's what I did.

Rocky

Banned
Nope! Don't select the PC option!!

There's an option for people like you who are already using a micro SD in an adapter. Use that one. That option assumes you are able to take the micro SD out of the adapter and put it straight into the New 3DS.

I have a microsd that I used in an adapter on my orig 3DS XL and I selected the PC option and that I wasn't using an SD or MiniSD. Worked fine. The PC option is correct.

Your 2nd and 3rd steps are redundant. You're going to say no because you have a micro SD and it's never going to go to the PC option. At the end you switch cards and you're done. It's what I did.

It does if you do the transfer from system settings. Mine wouldn't do it on startup because it needed an update first. After the update I had to do the transfer through settings.

Soul Beat

Hello North America, come hate me :p

I got my New 3DS today (well, "yesterday", it's 1:48 AM here already... yeah I sleep late). It's the small one. I also got Majora's Mask collector's edition. I didn't have the money for a cover though, but I will wait for the black Zelda one, and a Xenoblade one if they decide to release one. Welp, some pics.

The Majora's Mask stuff rocking in my room:

We don't get the Skull Kid figure with Majora's Mask CE though. We only get it with the New 3DS XL Majora's Mask edition, which I'm not going to buy.

I'm really happy though. :D
Must be nice...
NEeuPMl.gif

But really, congrats on the pick up! :D

Corgi

Banned
you know... the new 3ds looks fantastic for a whole 1 second out of the box until you have 10000 fingerprints all over it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Would pretty much any Sandisk micro SD card work with this?

yes as long as it's formatted to fat32 with 32 or 64kb cluster size

i'm not sure just how slow some microsd can be but i think ideally you want a class 4 or 6 or higher (most are class 10 in recent years)

shiyrley

Banned
Also I had to do the transfer in-store, sitting on the floor. We were a bunch of grown-up dudes, many of us with beards, sitting on the floor and talking about Nintendo games, with two Nintendo consoles on our hands and a phone sitting around for the transfer. It was fun.

gogogow

I wrote an article about my impressions of the console for the newspaper that I work for. Feel free to check it out if you'd like.

http://ntdaily.com/the-dose-should-you-buy-the-new-nintendo-3ds-xl/

One problem: the slot for the memory card is behind the battery cover, and requires a special screwdriver to be opened. It was bad enough trying to find a Phillips head.

Wait. A philips screwdriver is considered a "special" screwdriver in the States?

co1onel

When I first popped the backplate off it made a loud noise and I was sure I snapped something. Luckily everything seems fine so I guess that's just how its supposed to be.

.hacked

8s41RKol.jpg

Transfer done, letting it charge will play some tomorrow. Started up Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and the 3d is great. Finally 3d works for me.

OkayRene

Guys I need help, I was about to buy Pokemon X & Y because I thought they were the latest. See, I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red & Blue.

Then I found out about Omega Ruby & Sapphire being the latest, however they appear to just be remakes.

I have buyer's paralysis. Should I get X/Y or Omega Ruby/Sapphire?

I'd recommend ORAS

I'm a complete novice but tried a little of both (X/Y and ORAS) and vastly preferred my short time with ORAS.

This is seemingly the consensus from
What I've read on the Internet also.

Banned
Guys I need help, I was about to buy Pokemon X & Y because I thought they were the latest. See, I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red & Blue.

Then I found out about Omega Ruby & Sapphire being the latest, however they appear to just be remakes.

I have buyer's paralysis. Should I get X/Y or Omega Ruby/Sapphire?

X any Y are the newest. Ruby and Sapphire are remakes of the 2003 games, but since you haven't played since Red/Blue all will be new experiences with you. You can jump into any of them without feeling lost. I personally recommend what I played, Version Y.

Veal

Also of note when transferring DSi Ware: back up all your games to the sd card via the system menu and delete the versions saved to the system memory. It will save you some headache if you are directly transferring sd cards from one system to the next.

Derpyduck

Banned
So how did you guys take off the back plate without damaging it? I'm hearing that if you use the stylus to pry it open, it scratches it or chips it.

I unscrewed the two screws and then used a fingernail on both the left and right hand side (there's an indent meant for this on both sides) to lift it off. It felt flimsy to me and I wouldn't want to do it again. I got it back on no problem, but the placement of the power button made it hard to not turn the device back on while putting the cover back in place.

I'm not liking the XL size at all. I'm considering returning it and waiting for NOA to inevitably bring the regular size over. I need my portable to be actually portable. Torn on what to do. Fortunately Target gives you 30 days to decide.

Rich!

I'm not liking the XL size at all. I'm considering returning it and waiting for NOA to inevitably bring the regular size over. I need my portable to be actually portable. Torn on what to do. Fortunately Target gives you 30 days to decide.

Inevitably? Don't count on it.

You guys never even got the white OG XL.

OkayRene

X any Y are the newest. Ruby and Sapphire are remakes of the 2003 games, but since you haven't played since Red/Blue all will be new experiences with you. You can jump into any of them without feeling lost. I personally recommend what I played, Version Y.

Appreciate it, it seems like there's so many 3DS games in general to get, I don't know where to start. Currently doing research. Considering all suggestions, as well.

Effect

While waiting for my order to arrive I was in Best Buy today and happen to try out the N3DSXL. I was concerned how things would look after some comments about the XL screen over the smaller size. Was able to demo Majora's Mask and all concerns I had are gone. I really like what I saw, how the device felt in my hand, and especially how the c-stick actually felt when moving the camera around. I had my doubts even in the face of positive comments but it really does indeed work extremely well.

Monday can't come quick enough. I picked up MM as well while there but not sure I want to start it just yet and will wait for my Monster Hunter bundle to arrive.

Got mine up and running the transfer went just fine but when I moved the card from my 3ds to the new 3ds one of the little screws holding the back cover popped out. I found the screw but not the little ring that holds it in. Kind of sucks but not a game changer, stupid idea to put it behind the back plate.

Any know if kid Icarus controls any better with the new c stick?

Purexed

Banned
Slightly chipped my backplate taking the case off to replace the measly 4gb memory card.

Been awhile since I bought a Nintendo handheld, and the experience makes me wish they'd give up hardware altogether and just make games for other platforms.

From this bullshit of deconstructing my system for swapping a memory card to the antiquated menus, wobbly hinges, low res screens, and playskool UI throughout the system, it's so far behind everything else it's not even funny.

Anyway, on to the Zeldas I've missed over the years.

Top Bottom