• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS VR2 Trailer: Innovative Gameplay Features

R6Rider

Gold Member
Goddamnit Gaf make a VR section already.
Tom Cruise Sunglasses GIF by Top Gun

It's more or less a new platform what do you expect. Would you also be mad at Vita 2 threads?
How about a Hardware section with a VR subsection? That way when the 'Pro' consoles start showing up they don't stink up the Gaming section.
Your Vita 2 can go in the Handheld section of the Hardware section next to the Steamdeck section.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That's the first time they've shown eye tracking used for aiming in a game. This headset would make it possible to play a game fps or tps, without ever having to use the right analog stick. Head tracking to control the camera, and eye tracking to control the aim. These could even be done independently (think ARMA) and the possibilities are pretty endless. Plus you still have the possible tracking / aim options with the controller. It's kinda crazy when you think about how profoundly a dev could change the way we interact with a traditional game. Imagine dark souls where you change your lock on target just by looking at the enemy you want to attack. Technically, lock on would almost be redundant. Crazy times... I'm here for it.

Last edited:

Evolved1

I hope PSVR2 is supported in Dreams, cause I will make some little demos based on these alternate control schemes (I mean, if it's possible) just as proof of concepts. I have a million ideas. And most seem pretty straightforward.

Gamerguy84

That's the first time they've shown eye tracking used for aiming in a game. This headset would make it possible to play a game fps or tps, without ever having to use the right analog stick. Head tracking to control the camera, and eye tracking to control the aim. These could even be done independently (think ARMA) and the possibilities are pretty endless. Plus you still have the possible tracking / aim options with the controller. It's kinda crazy when you think about how profoundly a dev could change the way we interact with a traditional game. Imagine dark souls where you change your lock on target just by looking at the enemy you want to attack. Technically, lock on would almost be redundant. Crazy times... I'm here for it.
Yes I also brought this up in another thread and I'm excited about it.

Navigate menus with eye tracking. Shoot missiles at enemies in Ace Combat,netc. Possibilities are endless here.

I'm as excited about that feature as anything else.

In switchback game the mannequins only move when you blink.
The VR horror game “The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR” uses the eye tracking of the Playstation VR 2 in a perfidious way: The bloodstained monsters only move when you blink.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

That all sounds cool, and it probably would be, but not sure how immersive. VR is all about making you feel like you're there and having your real-world actions be replicated 1:1 in the virtual world. And in the real world you don't aim a gun by just looking at what you want to shoot, you aim by actually aiming with your hand. Pulling off headshots in VR by aiming as you would in real life feels awesome, if all you had to do was look at the guy's head it would be trivial.

So no, I don't think that's the best use of eye tracking. But I could definitely imagine using it to select menu options, tag and scan enemies and other things, etc. Basically stuff where in today's VR you usually use a controller as a laser pointer.

Evolved1

That all sounds cool, and it probably would be, but not sure how immersive. VR is all about making you feel like you're there and having your real-world actions be replicated 1:1 in the virtual world. And in the real world you don't aim a gun by just looking at what you want to shoot, you aim by actually aiming with your hand. Pulling off headshots in VR by aiming as you would in real life feels awesome, if all you had to do was look at the guy's head it would be trivial.

So no, I don't think that's the best use of eye tracking. But I could definitely imagine using it to select menu options, tag and scan enemies and other things, etc. Basically stuff where in today's VR you usually use a controller as a laser pointer.
I understand what you're saying, but don't really think you're appreciating all the different types of games out there, or the possibilities for flat game conversion that doesn't require devs to suddenly turn them into fpv games to work in vr.

Also, options man... like gyro aim. I hate that shit, but it allows some people to play games that otherwise wouldn't.

Last edited:

aclar00

Dang they really future proofed this bad boy. As a quest/pcvr owner im Jelly

Just missing high quality color cameras for augmented and mixed reality. Would have been a great option, especially if this is meant to last 5-7 years.

I want an Eye Pet in my living room damnit

Buggy Loop

Well....yeah. That's the point of my post. When people yell and scream that PSVR2 is too expensive and then bring up the price of the MetaQuest 2........they never mention how the games look though.

It's plenty fine for RE4, superhot, beat saber, pistol whip, The Climb, Moss, etc. Games that you likely won't even see a difference visually and that you'll likely see for yourself anyway, pistol whip comes to mind. The point is there's quite a lot of easy to run games native you can bring anywhere. Want to show Beat Saber to someone? very easy, anywhere you can do it. AND we have choice for both, native OR tethered to a PC.

If Quest 2 had just tethered to PC option, for even lower price, how is that helping the narrative that PSVR2 is too expensive?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's plenty fine for RE4, superhot, beat saber, pistol whip, The Climb, Moss, etc. Games that you likely won't even see a difference visually and that you'll likely see for yourself anyway, pistol whip comes to mind. The point is there's quite a lot of easy to run games native you can bring anywhere. Want to show Beat Saber to someone? very easy, anywhere you can do it. AND we have choice for both, native OR tethered to a PC.

If Quest 2 had just tethered to PC option, for even lower price, how is that helping the narrative that PSVR2 is too expensive?

Yep! Hence why.....

MetaQuest 2 and 3 = Nintendo Switch

PSVR2 = PS5

PCVR = PC gaming

mckmas8808

One headset does both, that's added value, to me at least.

I'm not sure i follow your diss on this but ok! Any new user to VR is fine by me anyway, enjoy PSVR2
It's not a diss. Just an observation. If you are comparing prices of both headsets, just use all the data. There's a reason one costs more than the other.

aclar00

Im getting one, but PSVR2 is overpriced, given the lack of standalone hardware IMO. It does have some tech, that arguably adds expenses to it, but overall i think it's a product of the Jim Ryan era of Playstation.

Jim isn't about taking losses on hardware and PSVR2 is no diff. Quest 3 is bound to match, if not be cheaper than PSVR2, even with it's processors and battery pack. Meta undoubtedly takes a big hit on each unit sold.

mckmas8808

What is the reason exactly?

Let's remake the comparison from the same images you picked.

Here's $399 Quest 2 standalone
yyERg7M.jpg

Here's $550 PSVR2 headset only

images

Obviously it's the hardware within it and also what that powers both.

Huh? You can see a massive difference in those games, lol. What are you even talking about. Moss is a big improvement, RE4 will be multiple generations of improvement.

Gamerguy84

Man PSVR2 is really talk of the town right now. I don't wanna link a forum but it's virtualreality on reddit if you don't believe and it's dominating the conversation right now.

Folks are calling it next gen VR. With eye tracking plus FR it will produce the highest end AAA games of any set available. If others don't follow suit it will be a disappointment.

Of course all this will be passed in time but anyone picking up psvr2 in a couple weeks are getting the highest end experience right now.

Top Bottom