• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new PSP owners and retail guys. Has the ...

mr2mike

Banned
... has sony got the quality control for the screen in check yet? New PSP owners, how's your screen? retail guys: are you getting costumer feedback on dead pixels? I'd assume someone with dead pixels would hurry back to the store... The PSP's been out for months now, so I'd be surprised if it hadn't been taken care of, or if the amount hadn't been greatly reduced.

I'm probably gonna break down and get one over the summer and I loathe the idea of even a single dead pixel. Back in the olden days my NGPC had a single dead pixel and I HAD to return it, I just couldn't stand it, and knowing my luck, if there's a shipment of pixel perfect PSPs, I'll get THE one with a/many dead pixels.

Dead pixels can never be "fixed" because they are not a defect. It's inherent to the LCD technology. Any LCD screen, and I mean any, is subject to having dead pixels. You just have to live with it. And it's not going away anytime soon. So even if you buy a PSP two years from now, good chances are that it will have at least one dead pixel.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, that problem will not be fixed untill the whole LCD manufacturing industry figures something out that noone has been able to figure so far.

So my suggestion is - buy the PSP somewhere where you can exchange it for another PSP no questions asked.

The Faceless Master said:
just do what everyone else is doing...

buy a DS

no questions asked return policy for even 1 dead pixel...

:lol

This is by far the worst display of attempted trolling I have ever seen on GAF in 6 years.

AtomicShroom said:
Dead pixels can never be "fixed" because they are not a defect. It's inherent to the LCD technology. Any LCD screen, and I mean any, is subject to having dead pixels. You just have to live with it. And it's not going away anytime soon. So even if you buy a PSP two years from now, good chances are that it will have at least one dead pixel.

Actually, that's pretty much the definition of defect. The screens can't be fixed because there is just no way to do it that could possibly be more cost effective than a new screen.

The problem is, LCD manufacturing has a pretty high error/failure rate - the stuff we're seeing is merely the premium cut. Ideally, Sony should be upholding an even higher standard (a better grade cut, so to speak), but to keep within their price thresholds they are shipping units regardless.

I'm not a fan of their decision, but until there are either better yields or an OLED screen, we're hosed.

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
mr2mike said:
... has sony got the quality control for the screen in check yet? New PSP owners, how's your screen? retail guys: are you getting costumer feedback on dead pixels? I'd assume someone with dead pixels would hurry back to the store... The PSP's been out for months now, so I'd be surprised if it hadn't been taken care of, or if the amount hadn't been greatly reduced.

I'm probably gonna break down and get one over the summer and I loathe the idea of even a single dead pixel. Back in the olden days my NGPC had a single dead pixel and I HAD to return it, I just couldn't stand it, and knowing my luck, if there's a shipment of pixel perfect PSPs, I'll get THE one with a/many dead pixels.

For christs sake. You guys worrying about ur dead pixels just need to shut the fuck up and live with it. It's part of the technology. I bought a psp with a warranty from EBX, and even though mine has 3 dead pixels you don't see me running back to EBX coming up with some bullshit story about the speakers or dust do you? NO. I've grown to live with it. I used to bitch and moan all the time about the dead pixels, until I realized that even if I go to replace mine, I'll prolly still get one with dead pixels. You need to realize that it is not Sony that needs to get their shit together, because they have ZERO control over it. If you're gonna buy one just do it, you know that you want one. Dead pixel or no this is still one fuckin awesome system.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I bought a PSP while in the US during E3, zero dead pixels. A friend of mine bought one too, zero dead pixels as well. I guess we both had some crazy luck there. :)

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
kitchenmotors said:
:lol

This is by far the worst display of attempted trolling I have ever seen on GAF in 6 years.

THIS is by far the worst display of attempted trolling I have ever seen on GAF.

Kiriku said:
I bought a PSP while in the US during E3, zero dead pixels. A friend of mine bought one too, zero dead pixels as well. I guess we both had some crazy luck there. :)
you think thats luck?

i bought one at LAUNCH, and it had no dead pixels!

it was especially crazy after reading the stories online about people opening up as many as a dozen units in their local walmart/target/bestbuy/whatever to get a perfect unit

GMUNYIFan said:
THIS is by far the worst display of attempted trolling I have ever seen on GAF.

How is my comments trolling? I thought he was trying to make a rather sly and subtle trolling attempt at the DS, I thought it was dull.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
you think thats luck?

it was especially crazy after reading the stories online about people opening up as many as a dozen units in their local walmart/target/bestbuy/whatever to get a perfect unit

What does being LAUNCH have to do with anything?

aerofx

GMUNYIFan said:
For christs sake. You guys worrying about ur dead pixels just need to shut the fuck up and live with it. It's part of the technology. I bought a psp with a warranty from EBX, and even though mine has 3 dead pixels you don't see me running back to EBX coming up with some bullshit story about the speakers or dust do you? NO. I've grown to live with it. I used to bitch and moan all the time about the dead pixels, until I realized that even if I go to replace mine, I'll prolly still get one with dead pixels. You need to realize that it is not Sony that needs to get their shit together, because they have ZERO control over it. If you're gonna buy one just do it, you know that you want one. Dead pixel or no this is still one fuckin awesome system.

Because you learned to live with it makes you a man or something? You're a fool for even paying almost 300 for a device with defects.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
This thread is doomed.

Here's the reality... whenever you buy an LCD product you have the potential of their being a dead pixel... that's ANY LCD product.

What can you do to protect yourself?

Verify the exact policy concerning replacement because of dead pixels BEFORE you buy the product.

End of story.

mr2mike

Banned
"This thread is doomed."

Forgive me for wanting to know if, was it sharp that was making it?, was getting better yields so that in the end more 'good' screens were making it out of the factory lines...

I didn't mean "fixing" dead pixels, just wanted to know if the ratio had improved.

"THIS is by far the worst display of attempted trolling I have ever seen on GAF."

I'm sorry but if you mean this thread, then you're just paranoid. THIS is trolling:

"buy a DS"

F*ck DS.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have bought 5 PSPs so far (1 for me 4 for other people) and only one had one dead pixel. I don't know how representative that is of the whole situation, but it seems like you don't need much luck to get one with no dead pixels. Again, if you're worried, just buy one at the place that accepts products to be exchanged for that same product.

daegan

you think thats luck?

Ditto.

Also, my store has moved quite a few units, and I've had exactly 2 people come back and complain.

So if it's a problem that nothing can be done about... and let's say the average 480x272 PSP screen has 1 dead pixel... does that mean the average 1024x768 LCD has 6 dead pixels? Or, say, a 1920x1080 screen having 16?

Cheerilee

I'd say with everyone saying "dead pixels are inherent to LCDs" "you'll never be rid of them" and whatnot, bringing up the DS (and Nintendo's policy of simply replacing the screens until they get perfect ones) seems perfectly valid.

Anyways, I think there was a chance that Sony's "dead pixels are a feature, not a defect" attitude was only a temporary attitude, just for the launch shipment, but the "shortages" have passed, and Sony has PSPs up the wazoo again, and they're not trying to maintain any "over one million units shipped" figures, or anything like that. Sony's policy still stands, so it most likely ain't going nowhere.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Who f'n cares what Sony's policy is? You don't develop dead pixels, they are there from day one... and You don't buy your LCD equipped PSP from Sony... you buy it from a retailer... the retailer might care what Sony's policy because it MIGHT influence there policy.. but all you really need to be worried about is the retailer's policy. And in terms of being concerned about the retailer's policy... speak to someone higher up than the floor associate, unless the floor associate can show you specifically in writing(this goes for all LCD products) exactly the part of the product or extended store warranty that deals with issues relating to dead pixels.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just get a PSP right now, the rate of dead pixels isn't even that high, you probably have a 10 to 15% chance of getting a dead pixel (most likely even less).

TYRiAX

Me and a friend imported 4 PSP's at launch and lucky me got the only one with a dead pixel.

I gotta tell you though, I didn't even notice it until I was watching the movie trailers on the bonus UMD, and even now that I'm aware of it I still dont notice it during actual gameplay.

I always thought I would be really pissed off if my unit came with dead pixels, but just like dust under the screen or tiny screen scratches it really doesnt hamper my experience at all...

Scoobert

I work at EBgames, we've had several shipments of PSP's. Even had a new shipment come in Friday, over 30 PSP's. The second shipment we had was the abosolute worst, no question about it. Nearly every PSP in that shipment was defective. And now we don't get any issues about dead pixels, I'm assuming the word is out or people just don't notice. What we do get is either the battery isn't holding a charge or the headphones aren't working. Right now, that's the two biggest complaints.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
mine has one dead pixel in the bottom right corner, and one "stuck" pixel (always on?) in the bottom center. i cant see either when playing games, and see one or the other only during load screens (which are usually either all black, or all white)

Jonnyram

GMUNYIFan said:
For christs sake. You guys worrying about ur dead pixels just need to shut the fuck up and live with it. It's part of the technology.
It's not as simple as that. Newer tech has lower yields than older tech, and the consumer is having to pay for this with the PSP. Dead pixels are part of the technology, but the problem should be resolved by the manufacturer, without the consumer having to suffer. It shouldn't be a fucking lottery.

just do what everyone else is doing...

buy a DS

no questions asked return policy for even 1 dead pixel...

sealofdoom.png

Uh.

The way to "fix the dead pixel problem" is to do good quality control work and pull the units with dead pixels before they get shipped to wholesalers.

Sony was trying to meet manufacturing quotas, so they lowered the bar on QC.

What's so hard to understand about this?

Jared Goodwin said:
Uh.

The way to "fix the dead pixel problem" is to do good quality control work and pull the units with dead pixels before they get shipped to wholesalers.

Sony was trying to meet manufacturing quotas, so they lowered the bar on QC.

What's so hard to understand about this?
the problem is you need rational people to understand a point like that, not rabid fanboys...

Xenon

What about the blurring? Is there a chance that could be corrected later in the PSP's lifetime?

Demigod Mac

Sent in new PSP for exchange. 6 dead pixels + nonfunctional wireless was bad.

1 week since it was mailed. Delivery confirmation and insurance was on the item.

'Course, the service request # does not show up in their database, at least, on the automated line. Are they trying to scam me?

Top Bottom