• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screens from RE4 PS2

Solid

.hacked said:
so what new shit has been thrown in?
Features exclusive to the Playstation 2-version:
* New Chapters- play as Ada Wong in "Seperate Ways", 5 terrifying, adrenaline-pumping missions that reveal additional horrific surprises.
* New unlockable weapons, including the PRL412 laser cannon and the Gunpowder Bow Gun.
* New unlockable costumes for Leon and Ashley

+ anamorphic widescreen

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Here's the PS2 pic where I just changed colour balance and contrast (something that varies from TV to TV and you can change it on any TV anyways) to make it match his capture a bit more.

RE410.jpg

5366v26de.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marconelly said:
I could post PS2 pic where I just changed colour balance and contrast (something that varies from TV to TV and you can change it on any TV anyways) to make it match his capture a bit more.

url]

url]
Marco, have you played RE4? That GC capture is from a different area of the game (the very first area, actually) and it DOES have a different apperance. The lighting does change a bit by the time you actually make it to the main village (which is where the PS2 shot is from).

One thing I'm REALLY hoping for is improved handling of color. The GC version was dithered to hell and anything dark really suffered. PS2 tends to do a better job with 16-bit color than GC (for some unknown reason) and does not produce such obvious artifacts. PN03 and RE4 were two of the worst offenders on the GC.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't know why they don't just port it to Xbox. They'd sell plenty, and then we could end the version bickering too. And plainly the "exclusive" window, if there ever was one, is long gone.

SantaC

Gold Member
Stinkles said:
I don't know why they don't just port it to Xbox. They'd sell plenty, and then we could end the version bickering too. And plainly the "exclusive" window, if there ever was one, is long gone.

a xbox version would definitley been announced by now so it doesnt seem likley.

Solid

Marconelly said:
Here's the PS2 pic where I just changed colour balance and contrast (something that varies from TV to TV and you can change it on any TV anyways) to make it match his capture a bit more.

RE410.jpg

5366v26de.jpg
buy a gamecube! you are retarded if you dont buy a gamecube!!!

or how was it ? :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Solid said:
buy a gamecube! you are retarded if you dont buy a gamecube!!!

or how was it ? :lol
Most people don't see anything wrong with the people who didn't buy a GC for RE4 but waited for the Ps2 version.

It's the people who wait a full year to play the best game this generation on the Ps2 who already have a GC *coughEGM92cough*. That's just stupid in most people's eyes to wait a year for an extra gun some extra costumes and some extra ada missions and a slight graphical downgrade.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's the people who wait a full year to play the best game this generation on the Ps2 who already have a GC.
I agree. That's foolish...

Just like that fellow the other day that refuses to buy Soul Calibur 3 simply because it isn't being released on Gamecube DESPITE THE FACT THAT HE OWNS A PS2.

shpankey

not an idiot
damn, looks just as good as the GCN version now (or close enough that it doesn't matter).

anyone know if the PS2 version upped the 16bit color issue from the GCN version? the color banding got quite bad on it.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
3 things. The textures are cleaner and sharper in the GC version which is made plainly obvious by comparing the textures on Leon's hair. I can see the polygonal pointyness on the PS2 versions characters a little more plainly Especially on that El Gigante. I can deal with the textures not being as sharp but hopefully the Monks and Mercs don't suffer as much from those 2 small visual downgrades.

Lastly whoever said the ray gun doesn't look like something that should be in the RE4 universe is absolutely right. The mere existence of that type of gun validates that Mikami had little or no input in what extras they put into the PS2 version. RE4 has a "horror" overtone to it not a "SCI-FI" backdrop and the ray-gun upsets the atmosphere a little bit. Not to mention that they forgot to implement some proper self-lighting on Leon when using a gun that bright and "illuminated" (get it?).

8200.jpg

Shouldn't a beam that bright and blue light up his front side?

But this is just nit-picking from a guy who has already played the game to death. I agree with the person that said the game looks gorgeous for anyone who hasn't already played the game on the Cube and will not notice the downgrades.

Tain

I was planning on borrowing a Gamecube and renting this, but the more shots I see, the more I figure I'll just wait.

I hope this teaches Capcom a lesson about developing for Nintendo consoles: i.e. DON'T DO IT. They coulda saved everyone trouble if they'd just released this as a PS2 exclusive.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Drinky Crow said:
I hope this teaches Capcom a lesson about developing for Nintendo consoles: i.e. DON'T DO IT. They coulda saved everyone trouble if they'd just released this as a PS2 exclusive.

Gamecube owners got a great game and now PS2 owners will get one. Where's the problem? Capcom will make their money either way.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Drinky Crow said:

Just exactly how much do you think the PS2 version will sell?

GaimeGuy

tedtropy said:
Gamecube owners got a great game and now PS2 owners will get one. Where's the problem? Capcom will make their money either way.
The problem is they wasted their time and money putting it on the GC.

Right drinky?

SantaC

Gold Member
Shaheed79 said:
Just exactly how much do you think the PS2 version will sell?

Judging by this board, I'd say it will sell like hotcakes, and don't get me started on Japan where RE4 PS2 is top 3 on famitsu wanted list all the time.

GaimeGuy

DieNgamers said:
What trouble? :lol
They wasted their time selling 1.2 million copies on GC when they could have made it for the Ps2 only, had it released a year before the Ps2 version is actually supposed to hit, and sold 1.3 million copies and have kept the game out of the libary of those god-forsaken Nintendo consoles. DAMN YOU NINTENDO! DAMN YOOOOOOOOOU!

:mad:

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
3 things. The textures are cleaner and sharper in the GC version which is made plainly obvious by comparing the textures on Leon's hair.
It can just be shitty capture vs. shittier capture. His jacket textures looks very simillar for example. I don't know if they drop a texture res on something so small but something that you can see all the time.

Not to mention the Ashlee's sweater texture fiasco™...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Drinky Crow said:

Ah yes, this helpful advice would have done so much to increase Capcom's coffers if they had just failed to release the GameCube versions of Viewtiful Joe, Viewtiful Joe 2 and that Mega Man collection. Why, they would have been much better off with the lower sales of the PS2 versions!

Zeo

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

Man, you're not even good at trolling anymore. Are you forgetting some of Capcom's games sold BEST on GC?

Yeah, this looks better than the original screen shots released, thankfully. GC version still looks better of course, but whatever. What I really want to see is the loading times, if they're bad or not.

That new gun really sucks, by the way.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Marconelly said:
It can just be shitty capture vs. shittier capture. His jacket textures looks very simillar for example. I don't know if they drop a texture res on something so small but something that you can see all the time.

The quality of the captures are indeed average at best but you can still plainly see the different detail in Leon's hair between the 2 versions. The jacket texture isn't as detailed as the hair is in both versions so I expected it to look relatively the same. Not all textures are downgraded just some of them.

Not to mention the Ashlee's sweater texture fiasco™...

What's to mention about it? I saw the "fiasco" and someone was comparing a beta build version of the Cube trailer which was awful. Anyone who has played the game knows that Ashlee's sweater in the game looks fantastic and nothing like it did in that picture.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Zeo said:
Man, you're not even good at trolling anymore.

Yeah, this looks better than the original screen shots released, thankfully. GC version still looks better of course, but whatever. What I really want to see is the loading times, if they're bad or not.

That new gun really sucks, by the way.

You still don't "get it" do you? Your manner of response is all he needs to validate his actions. In this regard I see the need for him on this forum. And how do you know the gun "sucks"? It is visually unappealing to me I must admit but it might function quite well we don't know yet. Unless you were purely speaking asthetics.

Zeo

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
You still don't "get it" do you? Your manner of response is all he needs to validate his actions. In this regard I see the need for him on this forum. And how do you know the gun "sucks"? It is visually unappealing to me I must admit but it might function quite well we don't know yet. Unless you were purely speaking asthetics.

Please, don't give me that bullshit about the "need" for him to act like that. That's ridiculous.

And uh, obviously I was talking about how the gun looks. And you know that. Don't be stupid.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What's to mention about it? I saw the "fiasco" and someone was comparing a beta build version of the Cube trailer which was awful. Anyone who has played the game knows that Ashlee's sweater in the game looks fantastic and nothing like it did in that picture.
Just to remind you, at first everyone assumed that the beta cube build (or whatever it is) was the PS2 version of the game, and the PS2 screen to be the GC version.

Can someone finally make a screenshot of that scene from the final game, to end the sweater discussion once and for all? :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Zeo said:
Please, don't give me that bullshit about the "need" for him to act like that. That's ridiculous.

And uh, obviously I was talking about how the gun looks. And you know that. Don't be stupid.

*shakes head*

Troll away Drinky.

Just to remind you, at first everyone assumed that the beta cube build (or whatever it is) was the PS2 version of the game, and the PS2 screen to be the GC version.

Can someone finally make a screenshot of that scene from the final game, to end the sweater discussion once and for all?

Yes I do remember and it was hilarious. But the culmination of events where everyone discovered the shots were from an unfinished Beta build of the GC version was even more entertaining.

Miburou

It's almost like RE4 was made to be easily ported to the PS2, what with its low-res textures and aliasing.

I'll probably rent this to just to see the difference, and to see if true widescreen really makes a difference.

Looks good, though its lacking in the lighting department. Looks like the devs changed to a darker tone for the textures. Why does everyone keep saying the borders were in place for technical issues, when Kobayashi said himself that it was implemented because of where Leon is placed on screen while the player fires his weapon. Giving the gamer a wider view of the scene.

The church pic seems to lacking some detail, when I first saw the inside of the church I was blown away.

:(

I still remember seeing Code Veronica when it was first shown for Dreamcast and thinking "NEXT GEN MUFUXAS!"
Man... it's been a productive generation. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Why does everyone keep saying the borders were in place for technical issues, when Kobayashi said himself that it was implemented because of where Leon is placed on screen while the player fires his weapon.
Because it didn't support the true widescreen. It's obvious that they just wanted to decrease vertical resolution to save some fillrate.

Top Bottom