• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screens from RE4 PS2

CUBE
resident-evil-4-20040729030246780.jpg

PS2
6711.jpg

Looks pretty close in this comparison pic.

Marconelly said.
Because it didn't support the true widescreen. It's obvious that they just wanted to decrease vertical resolution to save some fillrate.

I said.
So what reasons does he have to lie?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
are you guys NOW convinced that the PS2 version is the SUPERIOR VERSION? if this doesn't convince, i dont know what does

also, for you people who are stupid enough to compare GC and PS2 shots, you guys shouldn't be using screens of the old GC build!

Piepz

OG_Original Gamer said:
CUBE

PS2
6711.jpg

Nope, GCN version have cleaner textures, less jaggies and _BETTER_ lighting.
(I'm talking about these shots)

Wario64 said:
are you guys NOW convinced that the PS2 version is the SUPERIOR VERSION? if this doesn't convince, i dont know what does

also, for you people who are stupid enough to compare GC and PS2 shots, you guys shouldn't be using screens of the old GC build!
I own both consoles. I'm gonna play it on GC. Looks better, and the new gun sucks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I said.
So what reasons does he have to lie?
Devs sometimes come up with excuses for shortcuts that they do. This wouldn't be the first time. He didn't outright lie, btw, as his answer actually is valid and makes sense. It's just that the chose not to mention the other, technical reason. Why do they do that, I guess to make it look like they didn't have to take any shortcuts, and make the buyers of their games more proud?

and _BETTER_ lighting.
(I'm talking about these shots)
Again, PS2 capture has screwed up contrast and gamma. The grayish looking black colour is a telltale. The actual lighting, as in vertex hilites and static lightmaps, it looks nearly identical.

TheJollyCorner said:
wait... you own a GC and you haven't played RE4 yet?

The fuck is wrong with you, chief?
Heheh, I haven't had time/money for it yet. And I never bought a RE title, I haven't felt they were worth more than a rental, being short and all.

Sho Nuff

Banned
This is close enough for 99.99% of the population to be happy.

That being said, the .01% that is like "DUR HUR HUR TEH COLAR OF HIS PANTS SI WRONG1!@#" or "HER SWEATAR IS LACKEING IN RESOLUSHION, TRUST ME I AM AN EXPART IN ANGORRA SWEATARS" posts here, so there you go.

Sho Nuff said:

That being said, the .01% that is like "DUR HUR HUR TEH COLAR OF HIS PANTS SI WRONG1!@#" or "HER SWEATAR IS LACKEING IN RESOLUSHION, TRUST ME I AM AN EXPART IN ANGORRA SWEATARS" posts here, so there you go.

Oh you!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sho Nuff said:

truth of the matter is, if someone handed you these screens and said they were from the gamecube version, i bet you would beleive them. damage control here is pretty funny

"OH WELL, I DIDNT LIKE THE NEW GUN NEWAYS AND IT DOESNT FIT IN THE RE4 UNIVERSE"

Wario64 said:
truth of the matter is, if someone handed you these screens and said they were from the gamecube version, i bet you would beleive them. damage control here is pretty funny

"OH WELL, I DIDNT LIKE THE NEW GUN NEWAYS AND IT DOESNT FIT IN THE RE4 UNIVERSE"
Damage control? What damage? This gen is over dude, nobody cares about it. The Gamecube is technically superior to the PS2. It doesn't have enough good games to compete with it. Everybody knows that. GC RE4 looks better than the PS2 version. Why does it make you cry?

IGN got some new info and screens of the new weapon

As an added bonus for IGN readers, Capcom also elaborated a bit on the technical goodies that will be a part of Resident Evil 4's presentation... specifically the widescreen mode, which unlike the GameCube original, will be truly anamorphic 16:9 (meaning that it will appear letterbox on normal televisions and true widescreen on capable televisions). Moreover, RE4 PS2 will also support progressive scan and Dolby Pro Logic II surround sound. They're minor details to be sure, but interesting ones nonetheless.

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/013/013887/imgs_1.html

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Wario64 said:

Now that I see it in all caps it becomes more clear how true that is.

Wouldn't surprise me, but how do you know?

I thought it was plain as day in the shots but the only way to be 100% sure is to get the game in my hands.

123rl

Wario64 said:

What damage control? It's a sci fi gun mixed in with real weapons...it doesn't fit

This fanboy bullshit and damage control comments got boring months ago (from people like wario).

Threads on here are becoming so predictable...fuck it, I can't be bothered writing any more. I'm going back to playing my inferior game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I thought it was plain as day in the shots but the only way to be 100% sure is to get the game in my hands.
You really can't tell by these screens. Actually, if I had to judge on screens alone, I'd never guessed Cube version is 16bit either. I can't see any color banding or dithering in any of them. Video captures blur the hell out of everything, if any of these were direct feed shots, it'd be a different story.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
123rl said:
What damage control? It's a sci fi gun mixed in with real weapons...it doesn't fit

This fanboy bullshit and damage control comments got boring months ago (from people like wario).

Threads on here are becoming so predictable...fuck it, I can't be bothered writing any more. I'm going back to playing my inferior game.

Why are you getting so emotional? People press other peoples buttons on here its what they do so don't take it personally.

You really can't tell by these screens. Actually, if I had to judge on screens alone, I'd never guessed Cube version is 16bit either. I can't see any color banding or dithering in any of them. Video captures blur the hell out of everything, if any of these were direct feed shots, it'd be a different story.

Well, I thought it was plain as day for the simple fact that we know the Cube is 16-bit color (in gameplay and maybe 24-bit in some cutscenes) so by comparing the PS2 screens we can see that the colors don't look the least bit more sharp than the Cube version. So the assumption is that they are running at the same color depth or we would see even the slightest improvement of some sort. The only way to be positive though is for someone to walk right up to a wall texture.

Zeo

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
Why are you getting so emotional? People press other peoples buttons on here its what they do so don't take it personally.

I think you missed his point.

He didn't get emotional. Just because people try to piss each other off and that's normal doesn't make it any less annoying.

OG_Original Gamer said:
CUBE

PS2
6711.jpg

Really, the difference isn't THAT big in most screen shots, but if you're trying to show that they look alike, you should have picked better pics. It's pretty obvious in those two.

Wario64 said:

HAH, far from it. There's nothing wrong with comparing old builds against a build that will be old later.

123rl

Shaheed79 said:

I'm not getting emotional over anything. I'm just bored of the same comments every time, every thread, every day.

Solid

i agree with wario, the damage control from the nbots are hilarious. the gun sucks? oh, so you've tried it? and it doesn't "fit" in the re4 universe? gimme a fucking break :lol :lol

Shompola

Banned
Marconelly said:

I am seeing dithering though, in both versions. Leons from behind that is, look at the shirt and the red/pink parts.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Solid said:
i agree with wario, the damage control from the nbots are hilarious. the gun sucks? oh, so you've tried it? and it doesn't "fit" in the re4 universe? gimme a fucking break :lol :lol

I defended the possible useful applications of the gun but it does indeed look like a generic photon cannon straight out of Unreal Tournament. People are always crticizing gun designs on GAF nothing new here. I just commented on how it looks awkward while Leon fires it because it doesn't even cast any light on the person using the gun given the extremely bright dispersion.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Shompola said:
I am seeing dithering though, in both versions. Leons from behind that is, look at the shirt and the red/pink parts.
Yeah, I can see color banding there, and not to open any new can of worms, but on that pic where he's holding ashley, it's more apparent on GC shot. Keep in mind that on low contrast gradients, even 24 bit can sometimes produce banding, due to blending imprecisions on current hardware (see Halo, MGS2, MGS3, etc, etc)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Shompola said:

Yup you're right I definitely see it now. I think only the Xbox would of been able to handle this puppy at 24-bit color depth or higher. Damn you Capcom!

This is my favorite shot by the way.
resident-evil-4-20050812094946289.jpg

I gotta go play this game some more.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OG_Original Gamer said:
CUBE

PS2
6711.jpg

This is a good comparison...

Notice the pink and green colors on Leon's back in the GC shot? That's not a problem with the screenshot compression, that's a problem with the game. This happened all over the game.

The PS2 shot does not demonstrate this to the same degree at all. Maybe, just maybe, the PS2 version will be devoid of such an issue? 16-bit color does not necessarily need to mean that we'll see such nasty artifacts. Those pink and green blotches that appear throughout the GC version are really ugly...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
dark10x said:
This is a good comparison...

Notice the pink and green colors on Leon's back in the GC shot? That's not a problem with the screenshot compression, that's a problem with the game. This happened all over the game.

The PS2 shot does not demonstrate this to the same degree at all. Maybe, just maybe, the PS2 version will be devoid of such an issue? 16-bit color does not necessarily need to mean that we'll see such nasty artifacts. Those pink and green blotches that appear throughout the GC version are really ugly...

Yeah I know whatcha mean but he did use non-final build shots of the GC version in that comparison just look at the health bars. I don't remember the green artifacting being that bad in the final version but I'm really close to the part right now anyway.

Shit like this is why Nintendo fans have such a bad name. I love the Cube version and think its one of the best looking games this gen. But I'm not blind to admit that the PS2 version is pretty damn close. Yeah, it sucks that not many people are Cube supporters, and this is just another reason for some to not get Nintendo's system, but I'm not going to pull my hair out over such trivial crap. It's like people act as if they have stock in Nintendo or something. Jeeze...

Sorry, had to get it out of my system.

dark10x

Yeah I know whatcha mean but he did use non-final build shots of the GC version in that comparison just look at the health bars. I don't remember the green artifacting being that bad in the final version but I'm really close to the part right now anyway.
It is actually much worse than that screenshot would suggest. Some entire areas are bathed in it (many of the darker areas in the lab). It's really damn ugly looking. I made some screen caps a while ago showing all of those problems...but I don't have them handy anymore. PN03 had this exact same problem, so I assume they share some code...

Shompola

Banned
Marconelly said:
Yeah, I can see color banding there, and not to open any new can of worms, but on that pic where he's holding ashley, it's more apparent on GC shot. Keep in mind that on low contrast gradients, even 24 bit can sometimes produce banding, due to blending imprecisions on current hardware (see Halo, MGS2, MGS3, etc, etc)

Yes I can hardly see any in the PS2 shots for whatever reason. But if PS2 has fixed that problem and has anamorphic widescreen, it will have by far better IQ than the GC version.
But still GC version is better IMO simple because of that it was released 6 months ago or so. People waiting to play this game are very patient IMO :)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
dark10x said:
It is actually much worse than that screenshot would suggest. Some entire areas are bathed in it (many of the darker areas in the lab). It's really damn ugly looking. I made some screen caps a while ago showing all of those problems...but I don't have them handy anymore. PN03 had this exact same problem, so I assume they share some code...

Apparently so because it is most notable on Leon's face. Did you run the game in Progressive Scan when you played? The only time I didn't really notice it as much were in the shots Culex captured. But it definitely looks like they didn't use that ugly greenish grey variant in the PS2 version which is indeed a good thing.

Insertia

Sholmes said:
All the GC fanboys were secretly hoping RE4 PS2 would look something like this:

residentevilcvx_0607_screen022.jpg

that's the truth. :lol

Even I didn't expect PS2 to be able to replicate RE4 this well. I considered RE4 to be the best looking game this gen (be it for PC or console). I thought there was no way in hell Capcom could pull it off on PS2.

They're talented guys.

Holy Cow!! I consider the GC RE4 one of the best looking games ever and for Capcom to to scarily replicate the overall graphics quality on PS2, it's incredible!!

BEST. PORT. EVER!!!

dark10x

Shaheed79 said:
Apparently so because it is most notable on Leon's face. Did you run the game in Progressive Scan when you played? The only time I didn't really notice it as much were in the shots Culex captured. But it definitely looks like they didn't use that ugly greenish grey variant in the PS2 version which is indeed a good thing.
Yes, I did play in 480p mode. It has nothing to do with any single piece of the game or part of a characters body, though. It depends on the lighting in the scene. Scenes with heavy contrasts between light and dark often suffer from this problem.

I have played this on two different HDTVs (including my current Sony), on an analog TV, and through my capture card. All four had the same problems in the same places. It was most noticible in 480p, though...

[Reki]

Banned
The water was severely downgraded. It doesn't appear to have any form of refraction in the
Del Lago
screenshot, and doesn't have the "pixel shader like" reflection on the castle shots.

Top Bottom