• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Starfield Leaks From Verified BSG Artist (Verified by J. Schrier) - Shooting Good, Flying Bad, Overabundance of Content & More

That sounds better in context.

You can still see some of his posts from people who quoted him:

I'm particularly speaking to the usability of the engine not the capability of it, those are two different things. For example unreal and unity are very user friendly while cryengine is a pain in the ass but its very powerful.

If an engine sucks, it can hold back game design. See all the issues bungie had with that terrible engine for destiny and how keeping that engine caused them more trouble even after they dropped last gen consoles for destiny 2.

We all know of BioWare’s frustration with frostbite.

Sure, but you're still jumping to massive conclusions over one dev saying he didn't like working with the engine, and then going on to make clarifications. He sounded pretty positive about the game overall. Just people like to hone in on the negatives to declare the whole thing a disaster.

Plantoid

I don't think anyone expected a Bethesda game to have cutting edge graphics, what we expect is a huge open world that feels alive.

I'm a little concerned about his opinions on the flighting, but they have time...

vGpR5Ba.gif

Dr Bass

a game that looks better than a cross gen game like HFW.

the engine sucks comment and flying being a mess to me means more than graphics. i can handle a game with mediocre graphics, but i was expecting to see some true next gen gameplay features. the fact that they are tied to that crap engine is very disappointing.
You are so full of it when it comes to this cross gen thing. You don't even know what it really means, I think. This idea that we haven't had scalable visuals for decades is ridiculous.

BTW there is absolutely nothing in the Starfield trailer that looks "cutting edge" and that's never been what their games are about anyway. The artist is straight up saying it doesn't look as good as HFW, which as you know looks absolutely amazing. Shame about the game HFW itself though, IMO.

As you stated about Horizon here -> https://www.neogaf.com/threads/hori...-redemption-ii.1630702/page-47#post-265940408

"Well, in 30 fps mode it looks like the best looking game out right now so clearly the talent is there." - SlimySnake.

Of course the rest of your post after that is complete nonsense acting as if you have insight into the workings of a world class studio like GG. My favorite part is where you make a guess that the "seniors are on vacation" so all the "juniors are around and only know how to downgrade settings." That is some sharp insight there man. Phew. What a dizzying intellect.

But like I posted above, you did call HFW the best looking game around just a few weeks back. And now it's a lowly "cross gen" game. Sure. That makes tons of sense.

BTW if you know what "true next gen gameplay features" are, why don't you expound on that a bit? Since clearly you are smarter than every person in the industry, since absolutely no one can apparently meet your standards, and everyone is incompetent and lazy based on your posts. I mean good grief, what are you doing on a message board, when you could be absolutely cleaning up by making the best games the world has ever seen since?

Sorry, this was a bit harsh, but people who act in a ridiculous fashion are not cool.

If it's true to a typical BGS game it will be massive in scope and have a ton of game effecting decisions, interesting side quests, random encounters and unique exploration opportunities. When you have such a game on such a massive scale and with so much content, I don't expect it to have ultra-high graphic quality and lighting.

I agree with you, based on what little we've seen, they'll do a fine job on the visuals especially for such a huge project. Besides with BGS games, at least for me, the art direction is far more important than the number of pixels; it's always so damn immersive. Crappy as the quality is, FO3 has some of my favorite graphics in a game and I love the world of Oblivion and even Morrowind.
I think this is universally true. Bringing up Horizon again, the game is just astounding looking a lot of the time. Just go look in the screenshot thread. But I think Elden Ring is 10 times more interesting to look at (and play), even though it's technically far below what Horizon is doing. There is, IMO, just so much more creativity on display that it just stirs up the imagination and the desire to explore far more than I got from playing HFW. I think Starfield will be just fine technically, but will hopefully be just full of that imagination and creativity I mentioned, that you see in all the very best games. And that's what will elevate the whole package. Along with the music. :messenger_smiling:

What exactly does Finding the Fun mean??
It means they are trying to bring the game together in a way where they can make it fun to play. That to me is worrisome (games should have 'found the fun' pre alpha, not months from release!) but we've seen enough nonsense on the internet to not get too worried over one dude's opinion. Bethesda knows what they are doing obviously, so we just gotta have patience and wait and see. I wouldn't stress it.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I don't think anyone expected a Bethesda game to have cutting edge graphics, what we expect is a huge open world that feels alive.

I'm a little concerned about his opinions on the flighting, but they have time...
I did, after the in-engine trailer, talks about their new engine and it being current-gen only. I think people are expecting it to look mindblowing

Stuart360

I did, after the in-engine trailer, talks about their new engine and it being current-gen only. I think people are expecting it to look mindblowing
I might not end up mindblowing, but i'm sure it will look good. The trailer looked good to me.
I think context needs to be taken into account. If the concept art is what we will be getting (and they still use the same concept art), we are getting multiple planets, bases, even a massive city that looks like a giant oil rig. Trying to make that much content and make it 'the best looking game ever', well its probably not going to happen. Not unless they delay the game for another 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:

Calverz

Flight mechanics? We are actually doing the flying?? I presumed it would be like mass effect or destiny style. Wow I can’t wait to play this. Hopefully we gonna get a blowout of news soon

Stuart360

I still believe is gonna get delayed.
Its possible but i doubt it. And even if it did get delayed, it wouldnt be a huge delay.
There were enough rumours over the last couple of years that pointed to the game possibly coming in the mddle of last year, the fall of last year, and early this year. In the end we got the date of fall this year.
I think the content of the game, the building of the game, has been done on the whole for a while now. Its in polish and testing phaze for me.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I might not end up mindblowing, but i'm sure it will look good. The trailer looked good to me.
I think context needs to be taken into account. If the concept art is what we will be getting (and they still use the same concept art), we are getting multiple planets, bases, even a massive city that looks like a giant oil rig. Trying to make that much content and make it 'the best looking game ever', well its probably not going to happen. Not unless they delay the game for another 4 or 5 years.
But what CatLady CatLady said was right on the money IMO. It's going to be the great art direction that will hopefully push the game over the top. It's just a much more important factor in terms of getting pulled into the game world. So it doesn't matter if it's the most technically advanced game or not.

I also don't think the game is going to be delayed. Why do people keep saying that? The game will ship on 11.11.11x2.

Its possible but i doubt it. And even if it did get delayed, it wouldnt be a huge delay.
There were enough rumours over the last couple of years that pointed to the game possibly coming in the mddle of last year, the fall of last year, and early this year. In the end we got the date of fall this year.
I think the content of the game, the building of the game, has been done on the whole for a while now. Its in polish and testing phaze for me.
I am just saying this, cuz of how many examples we have of delays in this industry.

Stuart360

But what CatLady CatLady said was right on the money IMO. It's going to be the great art direction that will hopefully push the game over the top. It's just a much more important factor in terms of getting pulled into the game world. So it doesn't matter if it's the most technically advanced game or not.

I also don't think the game is going to be delayed. Why do people keep saying that? The game will ship on 11.11.11x2.
Oh for sure, i'm not expecting 'the best looking game ever'. The trailer was more than good enough for me. The inside of the ship had that Fallout 4 look to the assets, just at a much higher fidelity, and for a game of this size i dont think people should be expecting more that that.
Of course there will be many on here that will bash the games graphics without taking into account scale etc, but that was always going to happen no matter how good it ends up looking.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This all just sounds like super general and obvious stuff. Game is big, looks pretty good, handles okay control wise but not amazing. Working on bugs. Todd is sexy as fuck. We all know this stuff.

Dr Bass

Oh for sure, i'm not expecting 'the best looking game ever'. The trailer was more than good enough for me. The inside of the ship had that Fallout 4 look to the assets, just at a much higher fidelity, and for a game of this size i dont think people should be expecting more that that.
Of course there will be many on here that will bash the games graphics without taking into account scale etc, but that was always going to happen no matter how good it ends up looking.
This site is going to be an argumentative hellscape when this game releases. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

AX8

Banned
Hope it's good, I had fun with Fallout 4, and love the resurrected No Man's Sky, so if they hit it out of the park, I'll be there day 1.

Stuart360

This site is going to be an argumentative hellscape when this game releases. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Yep, there will be many a fallen soldier i feel on the lead up to Christmas. My salutes go out to these little warriors.

Seriously though, taking into account the concept art, the different planets, bases, cities, possibly moons etc,. If we get all that and the graphics are at the level of the trailer, i will be blown away to be honest -

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Are (or were) people REALLY expecting top notch graphics from an open world Bethesda RPG? For real, or are people just trolling?

What I expect is a game full of content and a huge world to explore, with lots of choices to do. But graphically, if they deliver something above avarage is already good enough.

kiphalfton

He later clarified and said the manual space flight wasn’t fun for him, though these aren’t his type of games. It didn’t seem like he was making a statement regarding the actual quality of the manual space flight mechanic. There were other devs who liked it.

Starfield also seems like it’ll eclipse HFW in scope, so I wouldn’t expect its level of visuals personally. The fact that he implied there was almost too much content is interesting.

I’m sure they’ll cut said content, then release it as DLC one week after release. That is the way.

Kssio_Aug

The next cyberpunk 2077?
I see no relation. Starfield gameplay was never shown to begin with, while Cyberpunk had numerous fake showcases that elevated people expectations to the roof. People are just expecting an amazing game given the great history of Bethesda, that albeit being criticized for the amount of bugs in their games, no one can deny that they were successful and (for most people) lots of fun.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I’m sure they’ll cut said content, then release it as DLC one week after release. That is the way.

Lol I hope not but that has certainly been how it’s been lately with games it feels like

Elden Ring was a nice exception.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm actually interested to see if the game has a VATS style mechanic, or do Bethesda feel they have reached a good enough place with their gun combat so dont need it.

I was wondering the same thing. Whenever I do a playthrough of Fallout I always have to use VATS early on because Bethesda gunplay is not exactly the caliber of Halo gunplay. :pie_roffles:

I eventually get used to shooting in Fallout, but I would not mind some improvement there.

Stuart360

I was wondering the same thing. Whenever I do a playthrough of Fallout I always have to use VATS early on because Bethesda gunplay is not exactly the caliber of Halo gunplay. :pie_roffles:

I eventually get used to shooting in Fallout, but I would not mind some improvement there.
Yeah lol. I'm actually pretty good at shooting on Fallout 4, i think playing at 60fps on PC helps a lot (still on controller though). I always use a mixture of normal shooting and VATS in fights with multiple enemies, it helps a lot ond using VATS just looks cool as hell lol.

In fact thinking about it now, i think i will be a little dissapointed if there isnt a VATS style system. Its always been somehting that looks so cool visually, and something very useful with mobs.

I just want Fallout 4 in space. The modders can fix any other issues I might have. Can't wait! Bethesda RPG's are always an entertaining thing to me. Since Morrowind's launch I've looked forward to every one and found a way to fin the fun in each and every one of their releases.

Top Bottom