• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Study: Today’s Families are Prisoners of Their Own Clutter

Holy shit this is me.

I legit get jealous and feel ashamed whenever someone posts their Ikea pad or when I visit a nicely kept, modern home.

Me, we inherited a family place and we don't make enough to fully furnish with newer stuff and with both mine and my wife's mother passing and unable to afford storage and too caught up on other things to host tag sales, our garages are filled with their stuff.

I panic at the thought of unexpected guests because of clutter.

Two kids man....

Somnid

My wife keeps books she'll never read. Meanwhile I feel obligated to keep things incase someone calls me on it but I hate sentimental items and decorations.

Draft

Every 6 months I throw away an obnoxious amount of perfectly good stuff that is simply taking up space in my house. It makes me feel like a real capitalist piece of shit. What can be donated to Goodwill, goes to Goodwill. A lot ends up on the sidewalk. It's obscene. I'm not trying to be one of the minimalist cult types, but the goal is to buy less and really think hard about whether or not I need something.

Baby on the way in September and the amount of tiny clothing and equipment is already overwhelming. I can already see half of it in Tupperware bins in the attic for years until it is unceremoniously dumped on the sidewalk.

RMI

Banned
Every couple of weeks I go through my stuff and get rid of shit I haven't touched in years. Some of it goes to ebay. some gets donated or given away to friends. some goes in the trash. I'm definitely not accumulating as much stuff as I used to, but it's still kind of bad.

Servbot24

Banned
I have too much clothes, need to make a run to Good Will. I also have some boxes for some electronic items I haven't thrown away and are sitting in my closet. Otherwise I don't have much clutter.

My clutter: movies, books and video games. They're all organized and not a huge volume. Can't stand too much stuff taking up space.

Going through this realization somewhat now. Fixing up our home, and we're finding things that we should get rid of.

Storage for actual items we need is an issue though. We need better storage.

In the last 2 decades we've seen almost every medium of entertainment move from physical to digital as a primary delivery service, I can't imagine how many homes are stuffed with old VHS tapes, DVDs, CDs books etc.

Even if you know you won't use them again it's hard to toss all that stuff away, but donating is an option that makes it easier to rid yourself of clutter. Thankfully I got rid of so many older comics and books a few years ago, they took up SO much space.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
In the last 2 decades we've seen almost every medium of entertainment move from physical to digital as a primary delivery service, I can't imagine how many homes are stuffed with old VHS tapes, DVDs, CDs books etc.

Even if you know you won't use them again it's hard to toss all that stuff away

My boyfriend has piles of DVDs that he never watches and probably never will watch.

Some people have a hard time tossing shit out.

I did a few different overseas moves over the past decade and it got me out of any collecting mindset. I sold off all my vinyl, most of my games, books, and tried to get most of my personal possessions down to at least just a few suitcases and boxes.

Since then I've resisted collecting any inessentials, to go digital whenever possible, and to try to keep personal possessions manageable.

Regiruler

I got a rather large Scervo figure from gamestop because they were going for about $20.

Even if I hadn't accidentally broken the sheathing nub on one of the swords I probably would still regret doing so.

I'm better at this than I used to be, but I feel like a majority of the problem were gifts, not things I bought myself.
I still collect my music and games though, and yugioh takes some space (you can get away with tins + a binder though).

Charcoal

The only problem I have with this is that I keep all the boxes for my electronics. It takes up a ton of space, but it's so nice when I end up having to pack it up for a move.

Futureman

we would have like 1/3 of the stuff in our house if it was up to me. I get kind of annoyed at my GF constantly buying stuff but whatever...

CHC

Yeah it's really gross. My mom and her husband - just the two of them, no kids, no pets - moved out of an 1800 square foot house with a garage and basement because it was "too small for them." They had storage units for their excess junk.

Now their place is about 4500 sq ft, with a full sized basement and two car garage. It's packed to the gills. Every drawer you open - full. Every flat surface - covered in things. Not hoarder level, it's somewhat organized I guess, but it's just shit. All useless. You could toss literally 95% with no loss of convenience or living quality. Everything they own, they own 4+ of.

Same deal with my girlfriends brother. Two kids, and they spend a fortune building this beautiful modern minimalist house - laboratory looking kitchen, custom interior glass doors, polished concrete floors. But it's FULL of toys. Every single floor of every single room is just overtaken with kid shit, none of which the kids care about whatsoever.

Not to get all sanctimonious but I live with my girlfriend and cat in a 275 sq ft apartment. I can cook any meal, I have one shelf of books, two sets of sheets, and exactly one of every item that I really need. Every time I buy new thing I find an old thing to toss. There's no shit hiding under my bed, desk, couch, or anywhere other than my closets. It's a good way to live, I like it.

But yeah, the discount culture has made a lot of people into semi-hoarders. Very anxiety inducing lifestyle.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yeah it's really gross. My mom and her husband - just the two of them, no kids, no pets - moved out of an 1800 square foot house with a garage and basement because it was "too small for them." They had storage units for their excess junk.

Now their place is about 4500 sq ft, with a full sized basement and two car garage. It's packed to the gills. Every drawer you open - full. Every flat surface - covered in things. Not hoarder level, it's somewhat organized I guess, but it's just shit. All useless. You could toss literally 95% with no loss of convenience or living quality. Everything they own, they own 4+ of.

Same deal with my girlfriends brother. Two kids, and they spend a fortune building this beautiful modern minimalist house - laboratory looking kitchen, custom interior glass doors, polished concrete floors. But it's FULL of toys. Every single floor of every single room is just overtaken with kid shit, none of which the kids care about whatsoever.

Not to get all sanctimonious but I live with my girlfriend and cat in a 275 sq ft apartment. I can cook any meal, I have one shelf of books, two sets of sheets, and exactly one of every item that I really need. Every time I buy new thing I find an old thing to toss. There's no shit hiding under my bed, desk, couch, or anywhere other than my closets. It's a good way to live, I like it.

But yeah, the discount culture has made a lot of people into semi-hoarders. Very anxiety inducing lifestyle.

Im not to your extreme (we own a 3200 sqft home) but do have the same idea of "something new replaces something old". We are getting ready to build a nw house thats smaller because this one is just too big for us because we just dont have a ton of stuff.

I believe this. I think we are one of the only houses in our subdivision that can park both cars in the garage. If I feel like we have too much clutter in our house I get really anxious so we purge things a couple times a year, selling stuff on eBay or taking it to Goodwill. I feel like we have too much stuff even now, but with 2 young kids I've come to accept it for the time being.

Also, anyone who realizes they have a clutter problem and wants to deal with it should check out this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1607747308/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hale-XF11

So glad I'm not a hoarder. I've gotten rid of so much stuff, that it's actually brought my anxiety levels way down. It's nice living a simpler life with less stuff and just having what I need to get by. I don't understand how some people can live with so much crap in their lives.

I'm a bit of a hoarder, in that I'm a cheap bastard who hates to throw out perfectly good things that we've already spent money on. I don't miss the things we eventually donate, but it does stick in my craw when I have to re-buy something we once owned. I hold on to things for far too long.

Anyways, at risk of sounding like "old man yelling at cloud", back in my day, all my toys fit into one little 3'x2' chest, and we were more than encouraged to get the fuck out of the house and play outside. Of course being 44, when I was a kid, we didn't have internet, and only a single TV in our house to share, so there wasn't much choice BUT to play outside. I'm not saying that makes us better, just different? But I'm interested in knowing what those differences might be between one generation who grew up playing outside most of the day, vs another with more regimented/structured play, who didn't play outside nearly as much.

Then there's the clutter - we weren't poor by any means, but we never got a constant stream of toys either. Again, I'm not sure what the impact of this, but would be interesting to contrast. I don't have kids, but when I go to my friends' homes, I'm always amazed by the amount of toys their children have. Maybe these parents are compensating for not getting the toys they wanted when they were kids? I have no idea.

Parents who grew up in the '70s and '80s are always nostalgic for their outdoor-kid memories, but we never let our kids play like that, usually out of fear of being judged as a neglectful parent (which, to be honest, is what our parents often were--how can they have gone the entire day without knowing where we were?). And I think a lot of us are buying things for our kids that we didn't have. I grew up a poor hippie kid in West Virginia and there was a bit of shame over not having cool things, so I overcompensate.

Phu

Banned
Joke's on them I don't have a garage.

I actually go through a purge of my stuff like twice a year.

MattXIII

Nah man, a clean, uncluttered home is the only way to go. Good for the soul. Everyone thinks I'm super organized and neat...

... until they (try) go into my garage

KingSlime

Thanks for posting this... My wife and I have been thinking this way for a while now, and actively trying to buy less and get rid of things we already have. I think a tough part is realizing that what you have actually IS valueless a lot of the time, but you think it has some value. So if you can bring yourself to get rid of it, even that becomes a stopping point because you expect to sell it for something, and the hassle of doing so-- or if the marketplace actually dictates that it IS worthless-- then you are sunk. I have a bunch of old CDs I bought in highschool. Good stuff! But will anyone buy them from me? I should just drop them at Goodwill and be done with it.

entremet

I think a lot of it is because many people don't have a donating or gifting habit. When you buy stuff, you keep it, you keep buying and then you have tons of clutter.

It adds up over years.

Hale-XF11

My general rule of thumb is, if I haven't had a use for something in 2-3 years, then I don't need it. It goes on ebay, to goodwill or in the trash.

Even if you know you won't use them again it's hard to toss all that stuff away, but donating is an option that makes it easier to rid yourself of clutter. Thankfully I got rid of so many older comics and books a few years ago, they took up SO much space.

A) money. Those services aren't free.
B) bandwidth. Data caps are a thing.

Imagine harder.

Nyoro SF

I had some small bad hoarding habits, but I managed to toss a lot of the junk and now can hold all my possessions in two boxes. It feels really great.

However I can back up this article and book. The number of houses I've visited where people have junk packed up to the ceiling in their garages is crazy. And they have even more stuff jam packed inside the house. It's depressing to look at as a visitor and I can only imagine that it's depressing to look at as an owner to not even be in control of the space in your own house.

Hale-XF11

I've dealt with all my old DVDs and CDs by recycling the cases and putting all of the discs in spindles like this:

Cake50web.jpg

I can fit my entire movie and music collection in one small drawer.

louiedog

This has been the case for my home almost my whole life.

I've heard that in San Francisco if you call to have a car towed for blocking your garage they make you open the door to prove you can get your car in there because so many people have theirs filled with junk as storage.

Otherwise people would just use that piece of street as their own free dedicated parking, but you can't block a garage if there's no parking in it to block.

milanbaros

Member?
Can believe it.

Wife and I hate clutter and throw/give away almost everything. The biggest 'clutter' we have is 2 backpacks we use for hiking and we have a tv. Not much else other than kitchen and clothes essentials.

A table, 4 chairs, a sofa and a mattress as well for furniture. Super easy to keep clean and tidy.

When we have anything more (usually gifts) we feel the stress rising.

Neo C.

Don't buy things and you have the nice side effect of actually having money. Not really difficult.

I only have 40 square meter and I can still move freely. And my basement is basically empty.

Pau

What kind of stuff do you have then?
It's all stuff my mom sends me. Opened sheet sets and pillow cases (we had like around 8 sets when we have only one bed), unnecessary medicine (usually homeopathic), make up (which I don't wear), random small, unnecessary home/kitchen stuff, random small hardware and electronics. She's gotten a bit better about it but still. The clothing I can donate but everything else is harder to unload onto someone else especially if it's already been opened.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The human animal is wired up, it seems, to be continually distracted and have difficulty thinking about why it's unhappy. And what it really needs from the environment around itself.

A few years ago I started trying to take care of this issue. First thing I did was get rid of the shelves of games and game cases and put all the discs in a few binders. A good first step really, to get into the swing of it.

Amory

having just completed a move, I can confirm that this is true

the sheer volume of shit i've collected over the years that I will never use is frankly embarrassing.

I actually purge my stuff about 3-4 times a year. Every once in a while i make a mistake and get rid of/sell something i should have kept, but the vast majority of things just need to go.

Clutter is damning, purging is cathartic. Its just too easy to amass stuff nowadays.

i was at my worse when i got a real job but was still living with my parents during my early 20s, then it got even crazyer when I moved out on my own and bought even more crap.

now turning 40, I want less stuff, I want empty spaces, I don't want shelves, I don't want books, I don't want CDs fuck it all.

Tater

me and my gf moved in together, I had one suitcase and one box + a TV she had a moving van and two cars worth of stuff.

Does my fucking head in honestly. I am constantly stepping around and over things.

You should probably have an earnest talk with her. I was in the same situation as you, and my GFs amount of clutter and crap was a factor in our eventual divorce.

I fight with my wife on a daily basis about this stuff. I want to live a practical, minimalist lifestyle and I loathe having unnecessary crap around the house. She on the otherhand hoards everything that meets her fancy. It's easily the number one source of friction between us. She is fascinated by people who live in tiny homes though, it's almost as if she's purposefully torturing me.

Help me gaf.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
People can't let go of their shit. In the Austin area there's got to be 2 large storage rental spots per capita. My wife's parents gifted us (ie they're downsizing) what appears to be $20k (at time of purchase) of Christmas decorations that's taking up nearly 200 Sq Feet. Luckily we have a massive house and no kids, but we had plans to use that space and my wife hasn't figured out how to turn down 12 Christmas trees and 2000 ornaments.

Top Bottom