• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Study: Today’s Families are Prisoners of Their Own Clutter

Hypron

My apartment doesn't look that cluttered (or at least it didn't until my current flatmate started storing his workout gear in the living area) but my closets and the area under my bed are about to explode.

I've been meaning to get rid of my old clothes, that would leave me a lot of free storage place. I've also got a ton of old electronics packaging I kept in case I need to sell some of my stuff (half a closet's worth). I should probably think about throwing some of that away.

I'm also considering selling my old videogames. I don't have that much (all my ps3/4 stuff is digital) but I would probably be better off doing it.

The main issue I have though is that I rent my apartment unfurnished - so everything inside is mine (table, TV, bed, desk, etc.). I'm staying here for another year but I'm staying the day I'll have to move. I'll either need to sell everything or hire people to move it for me...

Bedlam

My girlfriend gets annoyed with me because I'm constantly cleaning out crap and discarding things, and refusing to get new stuff that doesn't meet a threshold of "value" to us. This annoys her because she kinda likes collecting trinkets, but, I think she's starting to realize that some things are, literally, just not worth having.

I do this, because I sort of know the sort of conclusion that the paper came to.

Same. My parents kind of set a bad example for me that I didn't want to follow.

I came to the realization that a minimum of clutter in my life also equals a free, calm mind. Hoarding shit creates nothing but stress.

Ernest

Banned
All this extra shit is a burden on your mind and soul - everyone who has de-cluttered feels better afterwards. Everyone! Not a single person who gets rid of the shit they don't use ever says, "man, I wish I still had all that shit!".

I understand how buying that shit makes you feel good - but it's fleeting, and creates a drag on you as it piles up. You will be a better, unhindered human being by just sticking to shit you use daily and tossing the rest.

n0razi

The GAF show off your gaming shit thread is ridiculous.

Reminds me of all the crap I won at Chuck E Cheeses as a kid

Whenever I move, I just throw away or give away almost everything I have. In my current kitchen, I refuse to buy anything I won't use on a weekly basis, and I refuse to buy more than one of a thing if I don't need it.

My mom gets so angry at me, because I'm basically going through a box of stuff from my childhood, diplomas and photo albums, and I just throw them away without a second of thought. Joke's on her though, as she recently had the whole family look at her with scorn when she was getting help moving, and we realized we were carrying five boxes of VHS-tapes.

Gallbaro

Banned
Yep, this is me. It's gotten better since we had a kid, (because once that little one started crawling, her play spaces had to be super clean) but there's still a lot of work to do. I just finished a semester of school and now I'm off for six weeks, so I'm going to spend that six weeks going through the house and just THROWING SHIT OUT.
Lol. Wait until that runny states coming home with thousands of unremarkable drawings and things from school.

Fuchsdh

My apartment doesn't look that cluttered (or at least it didn't until my current flatmate started storing his workout gear in the living area) but my closets and the area under my bed are about to explode.

I've been meaning to get rid of my old clothes, that would leave me a lot of free storage place. I've also got a ton of old electronics packaging I kept in case I need to sell some of my stuff (half a closet's worth). I should probably think about throwing some of that away.

I'm also considering selling my old videogames. I don't have that much (all my ps3/4 stuff is digital) but I would probably be better off doing it.

The main issue I have though is that I rent my apartment unfurnished - so everything inside is mine (table, TV, bed, desk, etc.). I'm staying here for another year but I'm staying the day I'll have to move. I'll either need to sell everything or hire people to move it for me...

I know that feeling. But at this point I just toss it into recycling after the warranty period is up. The chance I'll sell it off using that packaging versus the amount of space taken up by boxes just isn't worth it, IMO. Admittedly I also hold onto old tech for compatibility and legacy tech uses for so long that it's not really worth selling off by the time I get around to it.

Lol. Wait until that runny states coming home with thousands of unremarkable drawings and things from school.

Keep the best stuff, scan the rest and either toss or send to grandparents who eat that kind of stuff up. Problem solved.

Ernest

Banned
Storage facilities are making a killing though
Yeah, I'm seeing more and more storage places popping up all the time.

They can make infinite seasons of that Storage Wars show if they want.

But then, people buying shit is good for the economy, right? If people didn't buy all this shit, our economy would crater - more so!

Beartruck

I see this a lot in my neighborhood. People's garages are packed to the brim with boxes and shit, it is pretty wild.
I see it a lot too, and it scared me into cleaning out my spare bedroom. Ive started going through my backlog too to get rid of games ive sat on for over a year. Thats a bit tough this year with how many good games are coming out.

Laekon

I live in a neighborhood with most houses being over 3,000 sq ft and even with all that space people have garages full of boxes and containers. You know if you have multiple rows of boxes stacked 4 high you never use anything in them. I personally have a bunch of cycling crap I'll probably never use so I'm guilty myself but beyond that my apartment is fairly minimal.

SGRX

I live in a neighborhood with most houses being over 3,000 sq ft and even with all that space people have garages full of boxes and containers. You know if you have multiple rows of boxes stacked 4 high you never use anything in them. I personally have a bunch of cycling crap I'll probably never use so I'm guilty myself but beyond that my apartment is fairly minimal.

This sounds like my neighborhood. The family that lives next door to me has their (2.5-car) garage so completely packed with crap, that there is just a narrow path in and out, and the rest is basically floor to ceiling with racks, shelves and boxes. Most of the rest of the neighborhood isn't much better, if any. I just don't see the logic behind taking that much useful space and basically walling it off with useless junk.

Skinpop

This sounds like my neighborhood. The family that lives next door to me has their (2.5-car) garage so completely packed with crap, that there is just a narrow path in and out, and the rest is basically floor to ceiling with racks, shelves and boxes. Most of the rest of the neighborhood isn't much better, if any. I just don't see the logic behind taking that much useful space and basically walling it off with useless junk.

my mother is a bit like that and from what I can see it's just habits and psychology. You don't start out with all the junk, it gradually fills up kinda like slowly putting on weight. Most people become very defensive and hurt when you bring up the subject, and even if they acknowledge there is a problem they tend to postpone or come up with all kinds of excuses for not throwing their junk out. I used to be a bit like that but then one day ten years ago my then GF pushed me to throw away pictures of my ex and that made me reevaluate my relationship with all my belongings. Throwing away things, often sentimental stuff like pictures, gifts and so on, and feeling better - not worse - for doing so was a revelation. Since then I've come to view nostalgia as an inherently destructive and negative emotion and I find indulgence in it to be disgusting.

digdug2k

We have a thing now where, if we're tempted to buy something to "organize" or store things, we instead just throw shit away. The Container Store is really just the epitome of evil.

I guess I'm lucky. My parents always parked their cars in the garage and always threw away or donated crap they didn't need anymore.

I inherited the part about always insisting on parking my cars in my garage. A garage is for your cars, goddammit. If you don't have space to park cars in your garage, you have too much stuff.

The only things worth buying and holding onto are books. \[-_-]/

I hate clutter, but having a family now, I can see how it creeps up on you. I've asked relatives not to buy stuff for the baby, but they just can't help themselves and now I've got excess of clothes and toys I don't want. It really is a pernicious mindset.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
The only things worth buying and holding onto are books. [-_-]/

I hate clutter, but having a family now, I can see how it creeps up on you. I've asked relatives not to buy stuff for the baby, but they just can't help themselves and now I've got excess of clothes and toys I don't want. It really is a pernicious mindset.

Get a Kindle and throw away the books. Then throw away the Kindle and just listen to audiobooks. Don't need that clutter in your life

Get a Kindle and throw away the books. Then throw away the Kindle and just listen to audiobooks. Don't need that clutter in your life

I have a Kindle which I use for travel. I would never toss my books. I don't consider them clutter or a waste, and they look so beautiful on a shelf that they double as wall 'art'. As I said, they're the only things worth collecting~

WTF audiobooks don't compare to books at all. I can live with the Kindle or iPad as a last resort but throwing everything out for audiobooks is only for people who hate reading in the first place.

My problem with ebooks is that for educational purposes where I actually have to cram info into my head, doing it off the screen is a lot less efficient than having it on paper. At least for me and many of my friends.

Back to OP: I was able to throw away a lot of crap after an international move but we still managed to retain a lot, with stuff creeping into our apartment but thankully still in semi-manageable levels. Hubby and I are both pack rats. This thread inspired me to clean out the house, starting from the Master Bedroom.

Keri

I'm in the exact same boat. My son just turned one this month, he received two different push cars for his birthday. This is in addition to the ride-able replica mini cooper he already had. So, he has three little cars to ride, all bought by relatives (and not us). It's absolutely ridiculous, but they're all just different enough, that it's hard to decide which to get rid of. Also, I don't want to offend anyone, when they notice their item has disappeared from pictures. It would be easier if they'd accidentally all bought the same one, so we could return two and no one would be any the wiser. Also, everything is so expensive, I'm torn between: Do I just get rid of stuff or do I save it, in case there's another baby in the family? I already had a bunch of baby stuff packed away in the garage, before the three little cars!

I tried pitching to family, that we downscale Christmas this year, in anticipation of another FLOOD of toys and I literally was BOOED.

Shauni

This thread came to my mind when I visited a friend of mine's apartment yesterday. I have several figures and stuff, but I keep it all managed in cases and stuff. They have part of their living room and almost the entirety of another room covered in collectible stuff. I was kind of in awe, I hadn't seen his place in a while. I don't know how they live that way lol.

I like audiobooks, but no, this is nonsense. Audiobooks aren't for everyone, and they are far more time consuming than reading a book for most people. A Kindle with a digital collection is perfectly fine.

It took a while, but I've pretty much trained everyone in my life to expect I eventually throw out everything that isn't a videogame.

After reading everyone's replies it made me feel like maybe I have too much..and i guess I just have a lot of adult toys. Guitar, tv/Xbox, paintball guns, camping equipment, rock climbing shoes, running shoes, punching bag, books, etc. I don't really have 2 of anything. Just lots of hobbies I dabble in...don't make me feel bad GAF! 😭Maybe I'll donate some clothes lol

Being outside is overrated. Most of the time, it's either too hot or too cold to be enjoyable.

That said, people need to buy less crap, and actually throw away what they don't need.

Afrodium

Banned
But I really need the statue from the $200 collector's edition of a game I haven't played yet (but it's definitely my GOTY).

Shauni

After reading everyone's replies it made me feel like maybe I have too much..and i guess I just have a lot of adult toys. Guitar, tv/Xbox, paintball guns, camping equipment, rock climbing shoes, running shoes, punching bag, books, etc. I don't really have 2 of anything. Just lots of hobbies I dabble in...don't make me feel bad GAF! 😭Maybe I'll donate some clothes lol

Most of those probably wouldn't be seen as toys or clutter really. Camping equipment is an essential thing for those who go camping on any frequent basis, rock climbing shoes are needed if you do that, running shoes maybe aren't needed per say but much better to have if you run regularly, etc.

Hilarious whenever I see a house like this. My parents used to be exactly like this until they wised up and cleaned house. Sometimes i'll come and have backyard dinners with them. ;) People will spend money and fill their house with crap they'll never use or eat, it's crazy. Bunch of slobs, no wonder we throw out crap everywhere.

I'm in the exact same boat. My son just turned one this month, he received two different push cars for his birthday. This is in addition to the ride-able replica mini cooper he already had. So, he has three little cars to ride, all bought by relatives (and not us). It's absolutely ridiculous, but they're all just different enough, that it's hard to decide which to get rid of. Also, I don't want to offend anyone, when they notice their item has disappeared from pictures. It would be easier if they'd accidentally all bought the same one, so we could return two and no one would be any the wiser. Also, everything is so expensive, I'm torn between: Do I just get rid of stuff or do I save it, in case there's another baby in the family? I already had a bunch of baby stuff packed away in the garage, before the three little cars!

I tried pitching to family, that we downscale Christmas this year, in anticipation of another FLOOD of toys and I literally was BOOED.
Lmao that's some stone cold truth.

Red

The only things worth buying and holding onto are books. [-_-]/

I am with you on books. That's all I collect. It's really all I need. I think I could survive with a fork, spoon, can opener, and matchbook, as long as I had my books. My wife keeps everything. The walls are full of bad photos and shabby Target decór. Sometimes I look at my bookshelves covered by cat-themed ornaments and pictures of her grandparents' grandparents and it saps my will to live.

Not looking forward to the work of clearing out my bedroom and downstairs clutter before I move out of my mom's place. My mom and I have issues with buying tons of stuff, whether we use/play/read it or not and then complaining that there's no space for storage. I don't want a completely spartan living area but I'm willing to get rid of most of my books, anime figures, etc. I'll probably be keeping most of my games, though.

I always kept my gifts for my nephews (and now my bf's niece) to smaller items (can't guarantee that what I'll buy is quiet, though). If your family members are close enough that you visit with any regularity I'd suggest keeping larger toys they buy at their house for them to trip over regularly. :p

excowboy

We live in a small house (a two up, two down terrace) with two small kids so have had to think carefully about how we use the space. I was going to post something snug about how we've kept the excess to a minimum, but then I remembered our loft...

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
My wife and I do a really good job of not being tethered to the inside.

We generally only watch shows late at night (10pm and after), use our backyard at least 3-4 nights a week even to just sit in and drink wine, go out with friends at least 3 nights a week and try and go out to a nice cocktail bar or dinner twice a week.

I've got nice stuff and like technology, but have come to try and spend most of my free time unplugged and so when I am watching a show or playing a game it's not filler but something I really really want to enjoy.

Our house is super clean minimalist and we don't have a ton of possessions we don't use somewhat regularly. One place I lean hard on tech is going all digital with my media. TV, games, books, comics, magazines. It's a massive space saver.

I think I'm muchh happier than I was years ago when I was in front of the TV 80% of my free time.

Linkura

My wife and I do a really good job of not being tethered to the inside.

We generally only watch shows late at night (10pm and after), use our backyard at least 3-4 nights a week even to just sit in

Wish I could fucking do this. I have horrible outdoor allergies so it's basically impossible for me. :(

32 families in LA does not a good study make.

I have a crapload of stuff, don't get me wrong, but we eat dinner every night together and both of my vehicles are parked in the garage.

Triteon

I cant stand shit being on the floor, and kids toys are the worst because they are always on the floor but damn, people in here making it sound like if you have a rice cooker, Juicer or hobbies that might take up space, you're on the way to being a hoarder.

The biggest problem is unwanted GIFTS from well meaning friends and relatives. Every trip they come back from ends with a novelty mug or picture frame or tshirt. Every X-mas the stocking stuffers in particular are awful drug store impulse buy stuff like ornaments or chocolates. Old USB sticks, DVD movies when we already have netflix, hard copy books even when the library does digital lending.

I'm sure GAF has their own stories of tech and gaming stuff thay sits unused forever. I've helped a few older friends get rid of 3-4 living room devices down to 1 (usually an apple tv or roku). Why do people who only surf the web for leisure have a desktop PC and multiple laptops,tablets and smartphones?

Lots of ways to get caught up in this.

If you are using them then they are not clutter. But if they are sitting there collecting dust then you should get rid of them, maybe donate to someone who will put them to better use.

Vengal

Same boat we have four different little cars given by relatives that ask about them. Two of them have motors and I'm leaving them in the box and the other two my daughter just tries to stand on them or ghost ride.

I'm in the unlucky position that none of my friends have kids it possibly want them and relatives on both sides also do not want kids. So this means my daughter is the chosen one for everyone trying to be the cool uncle/aunt/whatever and she's being showered with items we have no space for and are not up for selling just yet.

My kid at this point has more of everything then I have owned in my whole life.

gwarm01

I believe this. I think we are one of the only houses in our subdivision that can park both cars in the garage. If I feel like we have too much clutter in our house I get really anxious so we purge things a couple times a year, selling stuff on eBay or taking it to Goodwill. I feel like we have too much stuff even now, but with 2 young kids I've come to accept it for the time being.

Also, anyone who realizes they have a clutter problem and wants to deal with it should check out this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1607747308/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It fills that way for me too. Anytime I go for a walk I'll notice that most houses have three cars parked in the driveway / on the street. If the garage door is open it's usually filled with boxes.

We fit two cars in our garage, plus the lawnmower, a bicycle, fishing equipment, and several boxes full of things like Christmas decorations.. oh, and a full-sized refrigerator and water heater. It's not a large garage either for a two car. I can't imagine what these people are storing in there.

My Filipino mother in law sends a care parcel every few months that is crammed with dollar store and goodwill store junk it's like a clutter bomb going off like clockwork usually I haven't got control of the last one before the new one arrives I have PTSD (is there a word for trauma you get during not post?) and there is nothing we can do.

I fight with my wife on a daily basis about this stuff. I want to live a practical, minimalist lifestyle and I loathe having unnecessary crap around the house. She on the otherhand hoards everything that meets her fancy. It's easily the number one source of friction between us. She is fascinated by people who live in tiny homes though, it's almost as if she's purposefully torturing me.

Help me gaf.

My Ex wife was just like this, divorcing her solved that problem for me. Now she lives unchecked hoarding things in that small house. I had a friend visit her last year and he sent me a rather stern email about how I could let my kid live in a house like that. He walked it back when I told him I've cleaned that house of junk as best I can three times already and every time she see's new space I made from clearing out she feels compelled to fill it again.

I have pictures of that house and it's crazy. Bulk buy foods that will never be able to use before they are out of date. Baby's toys, the big colourful plastic ones when my son is now 9. Clothes she had from before we were married that I've never seen her wear but got carried around with every house move and she would complain there was no space in the closet (becuse I had too many clothes in there?!). Baby's crib by the side of the master bed, remember kid is now 9. Books and shopping catalogs stashed everywhere, I remember one time we came back from a visit from here mother and she wanted to take back all her books. I said it was too heavy and we'll be hit with excess baggage charge for the flight. We did, and it was expensive, Very expensive. When we got home she said "I could have brought all new books for that much! *facepalm*. She also hoards plastic food containers becuse they are useful, washing powered tub, ice cream tubs and takeaway food containers. She buys clothes and never wears them, they don't even come out of the bag from the store, just thrown in a drawer. Buying clothes for the kid becuse they are on sale that are far too big for him but he'll grow into them in about 5 years, same for shoes but no guarantee how his feet will grow as to if they will ever fit. The list goes on.

Keri

Same boat we have four different little cars given by relatives that ask about them. Two of them have motors and I'm leaving them in the box and the other two my daughter just tries to stand on them or ghost ride.

I'm in the unlucky position that none of my friends have kids it possibly want them and relatives on both sides also do not want kids. So this means my daughter is the chosen one for everyone trying to be the cool uncle/aunt/whatever and she's being showered with items we have no space for and are not up for selling just yet.

My kid at this point has more of everything then I have owned in my whole life.

YES. We are in the same position. Our son is the first grandchild on either side and, while both my husband and I each have a sibling, both of our siblings have indicated they are leaning towards not having children (although I'm not sure they're completed decided). Still, it's looking like our kiddo may be the one and only.

My side of the family has been pretty good about just buying small toys, clothes and books, but my in-laws are going NUTS. While I've suggested scaling things back, they seem hyper aware this may be their only grandchild (or nephew as the case may be) and they don't want to miss out on buying 50,000 things for him. I think they're coming at it from the perspective that every item is their ONE chance to see a grandchild [insert activity here]. I've been pretty vocal about wanting to de-clutter, but it means nothing. Every time I get one thing packed away, something else pops up to take its place!

LOL. I hope every one is this gun ho about contributing to a college fund in 17 years.

I always kept my gifts for my nephews (and now my bf's niece) to smaller items (can't guarantee that what I'll buy is quiet, though). If your family members are close enough that you visit with any regularity I'd suggest keeping larger toys they buy at their house for them to trip over regularly. :p

That's a really good idea! I'm positive my FIL is going to want to buy a set of drums for kiddo some day. That can definitely stay at Grandpa's.

My Filipino mother in law sends a care parcel every few months that is crammed with dollar store and goodwill store junk it's like a clutter bomb going off like clockwork usually I haven't got control of the last one before the new one arrives I have PTSD (is there a word for trauma you get during not post?) and there is nothing we can do.

My mum is like this, she would not get the message to stop. She would buy things becuse they were cheap or on sale and then afterwards think about who she brought it for. Now I just accept it, say thanks and walk it straight to goodwill or EBay.

In all the years she did get me 2 good things,a Super Mario Telephone and GTA Trillogy for OG Xbox.

Top Bottom