• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. DS movie

Wonder what the sales will be like in the week/Weeks following this release?
Mario GBA always sells well, and I’m sure this will.
Its gonna be hard to call the DS’s biggest seller between this and the new pokemon

Mama Smurf said:
New Pokemon.

Mario beats out Pokemon for sales I reckon it’ll be a tough call, esp if by then everyone has a Rev and is downloading the Old SNES/NES games. Nostalgia kicks in and they wanna try the new version!

I would like to see that 3D Sonic DS demo on rails fully realized. I think it could be quite cool. Plus it looked fucking brilliant.

It's gonna be a great competition between Sonic Rush and Mario... like the good ol' days, the 16bit or nuthin days

The 2.5d stuff in Sonic Rush is more stylistic, but Mario might get better, or even end up being the better game in any case. Either way, I'm fucking stoked that they're both coming. They will both be purchased (probably before they hit Europe). I can't wait!

Brings me tears of joy. :D I swear, if all the announced games coming out on the DS that I'm looking forward to are as good as they should be, i.e. Sonic, Mario, Viewtiful Joe, Lost in Blue, etc., and all the quirky games like the lawyer and surgeon game, the DS may quickly become my favorite console. All this and Zelda and the 2D Metroid haven't even been shown yet. I can't wait to see what the future holds. I'm really excited about the DS right about now. Oh, and to finish off my rambling, anyone know if a Tetris game is in the works for DS?

ProgramFighter said:
Oh, and to finish off my rambling, anyone know if a Tetris game is in the works for DS?
listed in the GI article pre-e3 that mentioned all the new games like Metroid Dread, Tetris was listed.

Leo

I can't wait for this game. It was already my most anticipated game on any platform, but this video just made the wait for it seem ten times longer.

I keep telling people that when this comes out I'm going to trade in my PSP (why the heck do I need a PSP anymore? I have a NEW MARIO GAME), but everybody seems to think I'm just joking.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This was posted in the #ga chatroom. If Nintendo were to do something like this as a marketing campaign for the new Super Mario Brothers, it would be the best marketing idea ever. They could have a hugeass question block in the middle of Times Square, and another one dangling from the top of the Mall of America, and a bunch of others placed around high-tourist areas across the nation.

GaimeGuy said:
This was posted in the #ga chatroom. If Nintendo were to do something like this as a marketing campaign for the new Super Mario Brothers, it would be the best marketing idea ever. They could have a hugeass question block in the middle of Times Square, and another one dangling from the top of the Mall of America, and a bunch of others placed around high-tourist areas across the nation.
awesome
But everyone would be like WTF
and Millions would be like HEY I know that from somewhere

Fatalah

This game looks great! The graphical touches are just perfect, go DS hardware!

Seriously though, it's keying in on exactly what we all love about Mario--fun and great feeling control.

SomeDude

Banned
Anyone like the way the levels ended in Super Maio 3, World and Yoshi Island better than just sliding down the flagpole like SMB?

Deku

Banned
Flagpole sliding is classic SMB, I wouldn't trade it for anything else if Nintendo is going for the retro revival feel for this title.

bummyhead

SomeDude said:
Anyone like the way the levels ended in Super Maio 3, World and Yoshi Island better than just sliding down the flagpole like SMB?

Actually, the return of the flagpole is one of the collest things ever, IMO

SomeDude said:

No. Well, sometimes.

The 3-box slot machine of Mario 3 was cool I guess. The bar in Mario world was frustrating... I could never nail down that top score every time.

If they make it a challenge to yank the flag down from the top, it's gonna be so awesome to do again. It'd be interesting if they make it so some power ups aren't available until later in the game... then you have to go back to earlier levels to get secrets and the flagpole top score using them. It'd be cool if there were co-op flagpoles twice / thrice or four times as high as normal too.

kablooey

Wait, is it true that NST is working on this game? I hope this hasn't already been discussed, because I haven't read the whole thread. But if it is NST, I'll have considerably less faith that this will be amazing. Not that I don't love NST, but they're not EAD. Well, no one is.

SantaC

kablooey said:
Wait, is it true that NST is working on this game? I hope this hasn't already been discussed, because I haven't read the whole thread. But if it is NST, I'll have considerably less faith that this will be amazing. Not that I don't love NST, but they're not EAD. Well, no one is.

actually, that's a good question. I have no idea which Nintendo team that are doing this. jarrod?

That video was hot. I really love how the 2D Mario jumping returns where he can a screen in a single running bound. All I need now is a price drop, and DS GET!

jarrod

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
actually, that's a good question. I have no idea which Nintendo team that are doing this. jarrod?
I dunno, I asked earlier in the thread. Truthfully, NST wouldn't surprise me at all given the game looks to take cues from Mario Vs DK in terms of physics/controls. In fact, I'd say it's either NST or EAD Tokyo (who made Mario Sunshine and DK Jungle Beat).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
jarrod said:
I dunno, I asked earlier in the thread. Truthfully, NST wouldn't surprise me at all given the game looks to take cues from Mario Vs DK in terms of physics/controls. In fact, I'd say it's either NST or EAD Tokyo (who made Mario Sunshine and DK Jungle Beat).
Incorrect. EAD Tokyo is headed by the director of Super Mario Sunshine, and has a few guys in it who worked on SMS. But they did not make SMS.

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat is the first and only game that EAD Tokyo has made.

jarrod

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Incorrect. EAD Tokyo is headed by the director of Super Mario Sunshine, and has a few guys in it who worked on SMS. But they did not make SMS.

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat is the first and only game that EAD Tokyo has made.
It's still the core Sunshine team (plus new recruits from all over).

Dragmire

jarrod said:
Looking good. Hope it retains the "Mario 64" physics model like NST's Mario Vs DK did.
Do you mean mechanics? The physics in Mario 64 and Mario vs. DK are totally different. Physics are stuff like momentum and inertia. But the mechanics, like the backwards and triple jumps, came from Donkey Kong ('94) for GB. It also had the high-wire stuff that showed up in Mario Sunshine, a cool handstand move, and, now that I think about it, way better physics than Mario vs. Donkey Kong (though I do like the game).

I read that Tezuka is working on the New SMB. He worked on a bunch of the original Mario and Zelda games with Miyamoto.

GDGF

Soothsayer
SantaCruZer said:
So the DS marks the return of old school sonic and old school mario? That's pretty incredible.

Heh. Didn't think about that. Old school internet wars will ensue I am sure :)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
One thing I'm really wondering is what happened to Super Princess Peach... it's still officially announced, but I don't think I saw anything at e3. That was looking like a quasi-SMB2/USA spinoff.

I got the impression that Super Princess Peach was going to be a bit more puzzle-oriented, especially involving that talking umbrella. But they probably didn't want to bring it up at E3 and take view away from New SMB and other similar games, just like how showing Metroid Dread in addition to Hunters and Pinball (and a taste of Prime 3) would've been a bit Metroid overkill.

Maybe they'll take the opportunity to redo some of the spritework that we saw early on for SPP. It seemed very mediocre at best. But then again, the game was very early.

olimario said:
Recording footage of E3 games takes absolutely no time at all. At E32003 I spent 30 minutes taking pictures of games being played. Replace my camera with a camcorder and I could have easy gotten 5 minutes of footage of the major titles on display in Nintendo's booth in that 30 minutes.

They have plenty of time.

Hahaha! You don't know what you're talking about. Filming 30 mins of a game you are interested in at Nintendo's booth is hardly the same as having to do the same with hundreds of games, editing it, watermarking it, encoding it, uploading it, publishing it. Try and do that for every game at E3 with both official footage AND shakycam footage. You will not be able to.

Top Bottom