• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New World (MMO developed by Amazon Games) advertisement appears on PSN. Console release likely to be announced at Summer Game Fest.

Deets via /r/GamingLeaksAndRumours:

On r/newworldgame a user posted their PS store showing a New World advert (the game previously was PC only title).

el0bp2n7r25d1.jpeg

This also comes after New World tweeted telling users to watch for a big announcement on June 7th during Summer Game Fest.

I played it a decent bit (before the DLC) and I tho it was quite alright, it is grindy for sure but not eveyrone dislikes a solid grind
Yeah, I don't mind grind-y live service games (I have tons of hours in PvE focused games like Destiny 2 and Diablo 4), but I just can't commit myself to endless hours of grind in a new MMO, at least not at the minute.

And tbh, I'm more excited for another MMO coming from Amazon Games, since it's rumored to release sometime this year.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah, I don't mind grind-y live service games (I have tons of hours in PvE focused games like Destiny 2 and Diablo 4), but I just can't commit myself to endless hours of grind in a new MMO, at least not at the minute.

And tbh, I'm more excited for another MMO coming from Amazon Games, since it's rumored to release sometime this year.

Blue Protocol looks amazing. Not sure on this, does it have a monthly sub?

Yeah, I’ll try it. Doesn’t money invested equal quality?? Anyway, I would love an action combat mmo that isn’t as confusing as Black Desert.

WoW peaks will hardly ever be matched ever again, with so many trying to follow them, but there seems to be a constant flow of new titles that try nevertheless, with huge worlds and colossal play hours and at least some reaching enough success to not discourage everyone.
Amazon and its money becoming some third party is certainly interesting. Even though MMO stuff is not my thing, not at all. Same with Google and Meta. They all should have cooperated with some existing platform(s) instead of trying to just jump straight to trying to compete with them.

Fabieter

isn't Valorant one of the most popular game right now? I don't know man, its not my jam but I wouldn't dismiss it

COD also has hero like gameplay with operators, Rainbow Six goes for a similar approach, overwatch, paladins bf 2024 used it at release so yea All are quite successful but I don't think it's an interesting concept.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Didn't fry my PC GPU so no..?

It was torching 3080s at launch:

dreamstation

Gold Member
It was torching 3080s at launch:
Luckily the consoles don't have 3080s then

Killjoy-NL

I dont know I didn't play it yet but most in general are for sure more interesting than hero shooters.
Depends on your preferences. People here tend to hate on Gaas in general for no reason other than disliking online multiplayer.

At one point, OW shat on that entire list outside of FFXIV, imo.
(Still does, btw. But OW is dying, so meh)

Anyway, I think people will be better off playing FFXIV Dawntrail.
New World looks like a typical mediocre PC MMO.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Depends on your preferences. People here tend to hate on Gaas in general for no reason other than disliking online multiplayer.

At one point, OW shat on that entire list outside of FFXIV, imo.
(Still does, btw. But OW is dying, so meh)

The hate argument against gaas don't matter here since all mmos are gaas too.

Cod is also super successful but that doesn't mean cod is interesting on any level.

Filben

I've had fun with the PvP until no one showed up anymore. And the performance was an abysmal stutter fest.

Killjoy-NL

I think there’s plenty of room for this on console. Very interested in more games like this hitting console.
Don't get me wrong, I fully agree. I don't really believe in saturation, just in good and bad games.

It's just a bit hypocritical to see this not getting backlash while in a much more saturated market on consoles than something like a hero shooter.

llLeonhart

I played it a decent bit (before the DLC) and I tho it was quite alright, it is grindy for sure but not eveyrone dislikes a solid grind
Way less Grindy after the DLC. Mount System also made exploration leagues better .

However... I would not recommend New World to anyone. There are balancing issues, performance issues (could be better for consoles, but that is rarely the case for mmos), for some reason is almost impossible to find healers and tanks, and once you finish your build, there really isn't a whole lot to work on. The small community is also an issue, but hopefully consoles will alliviate that (My experiences are mainly on SA server - Artorius, might be better on other regions)
gameplay should work well on consoles, now will it be a success? who knows..
It recently got official controller support on PC, is wayyyy better than M&K imo

llLeonhart

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree. I don't really believe in saturation, just in good and bad games.

It's just a bit hypocritical to see this not getting backlash while in a much more saturated market on consoles than something like a hero shooter.
Maybe its because MMOs tend to be a lot more varied than Hero Shooters.

Take the most recent two: Marvel Rivals and Concord.

They are very simillar to Overwatch, (Specially Marvel Rivals, which honestly looks like a OW mod.).

Take New World and compare to the likes of FFXIV, Blue Protocol, World of Warcraft, they all are extremelly different, both in artstyle, gameplay, gamemodes, etc...

Killjoy-NL

Maybe its because MMOs tend to be a lot more varied than Hero Shooters.

Take the most recent two: Marvel Rivals and Concord.

They are very simillar to Overwatch, (Specially Marvel Rivals, which honestly looks like a OW mod.).

Take New World and compare to the likes of FFXIV, Blue Protocol, World of Warcraft, they all are extremelly different, both in artstyle, gameplay, gamemodes, etc...
That's debateable though.

Apart from art style, MMOs all look pretty much the same.
It's not until you really play the games that you start noticing the differences.

But that goes for hero shooters as well, or any other type of game.

Games like Diablo and Path of Exile also look pretty much the same, apart from art style.

Last edited:

NickFire

I think most people see shooters instead of hero shooters / non-hero shooters. I also think there is more to the backlash for a certain game than just being a hero shooter.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
A lot of misdirected hate in this thread when the game first launched, it was lacking content, storyline, and a few other things since then they have vastly improved the game to where there is a good storyline and a lot more content. Now that’s not to say that it has the same level of content as wow or final fantasy which I’ve been out for 14 years But they are steadily improving the game with every patch and update/expansion. It really reminds me of a modern day 3d runescape type of game.

I’m not sure if there will cost something at first, but I know there is no monthly fees and it’s not paid to win if you’re looking for a good PVE experience I’d say this is a good choice

Top Bottom